Menu

Thoughts on a "Grace Year"?

"Does Your Homeschool Need A Grace Year?"

http://www.freehomeschooldeals.com/does-your-homeschool-need-a-grace-year/

Ok. I'll be honest, I have heard this irl before..people who say life happens or other things take priority .... But then when I saw this blog post and ALL of the comments appreciating it...I admit, it freaks me out a little. A whole year?!? I get a grace week...a grace month...even a few months (new baby, sickness, crisis) but then eventually you move on. If they were in school and crisis happened would you pull them out to do nothing? For a whole year? And the dept. of education would be ok with it?

I get backing down to the basics for a year in special circumstances...but NOTHING? I guess..I just think....if you need a complete year break you should put your child in school?

Am I way off? I get needing a break. I understand special circumstances... But a year?

Am I alone in my thinking? Being closed/narrow minded? Not realistic? I am curious as to others' thoughts...

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that it's a solution that doesn't solve the problem. The article even says that there is always some crisis going on....so when do you pick back up? 

Then again, maybe this is for an audience that has different goals. Her comment that "God will fill in the gaps" makes me think the author is not all that worried about academics (at least not in the way some of us are). I homeschool mainly to provide academics to my kids. My driving force is not to instill in them my (or any other) faith. So, this would not fly with me because it's not accomplishing my goal, ie strong academics.

I agree that it's a solution that doesn't solve the problem. The article even says that there is always some crisis going on....so when do you pick back up?

Then again, maybe this is for an audience that has different goals. Her comment that "God will fill in the gaps" makes me think the author is not all that worried about academics (at least not in the way some of us are). I homeschool mainly to provide academics to my kids. My driving force is not to instill in them my (or any other) faith. So, this would not fly with me because it's not accomplishing my goal, ie strong academics.

Yeah, that comment bothered me. We are Christians and character and Bible training is critical...but I don't think we have to forsake rigorous academics to get that....God is not going to fill in academic gaps we missed because we prioritized other things. That is silliness. I do believe He can fill in gaps, but we are required to be diligent first. How is skipping a homeschool year diligent?

Yes, I've heard of such a thing, and even had it recommended to me.  We've had some horrific years when I lived at the breakpoint daily, and everyone around us was recommending that we put the DC in school.

Could I take a year off and get back on without losing ground?  Would it really make a difference?

I felt like I'd lose momentum and my children would lose skills and work habits.  And for a long time, stopping for a year wouldn't make a different either way.  The problems would still be there.

I have a friend who did this some years ago without planning it (loss of a parent and then months of grieving and depression), and her adult children will tell you that it set all of them back.  They tried to read and do some on their own, but it didn't work well.  The youngest especially suffered because they lost so much ground with reading and math.

I didn't read the article, but the idea of taking a year off from formal  schooling doesn't bother me unless there is a child in high school. I moved so much growing up, usually in the middle of the school year, that for all practical purposes I lost an entire year of schooling more than once. It mostly wasn't a problem. If school is happening consistently most of the time, I don't think one year is going to make or break a child's education.

That said, I would have to have some very, very good reasons before I would choose to take an entire year off.

Yes, I could see a grace year.

The truth is that *something* will be happening. It just might not look anything like school, but there will still be learning going on.

And yes, I'll bet it would be possible to pick up ahead of where you left off. Really, the only thing that might be iffy would be arithmetic skills, but even those could be caught up quickly. No formal grammar, no formal writing, no formal science or history--none of that would be tragic.

I cannot see taking off a full year unless there was something long, ongoing and very catastrophic and if a child was very old I would think it might be better to consider school or some other option to at least keep the basics-(reading and math) going.

I didn't see where the article suggests taking a full year off? I thought it just meant giving yourself grace that school year when you didn't do a full year of school. So if new baby ends up in the NICU for 3 months and school is very minimal during that time, you call it a grace year.

But maybe I'm inputting my own ideas into what she said. :lol:

I understand that many families have trying circumstances, but I can't see taking off an entire year from everything. Reading, writing, and math should get done. For older kids, one hour for each would be three hours total of schoolwork; younger kids would be done faster. If a parent was contemplating allowing his or her child to take an entire year off from even the basics, I would absolutely advocate for public school.

If it couldn't be avoided, I don't believe it would do long term harm to miss even a year of formal academics. At the high school level it would be more problematic in terms of graduation time. But I assume high school level kids could also pick up more on their own without a lot of parental input in a crisis situation if it didn't involve their health. Even public school kids sometimes get in these situations with cancer or similar health stuff.

One on one is more efficient for both teaching and catch up. I have the freedom to homeschool through summers and on Saturdays, which I do because I have a child with special issues health and otherwise. He's missed large chunks because of his issues. He's still at or above grade level in all subjects on an ed. psych administered academic test. So, in my experience, a dedicated parent can certainly make up missed time without much trouble at all.

I didn't see where the article suggests taking a full year off? I thought it just meant giving yourself grace that school year when you didn't do a full year of school. So if new baby ends up in the NICU for 3 months and school is very minimal during that time, you call it a grace year.

But maybe I'm inputting my own ideas into what she said. :lol:

I re-read it...I could be wrong but it certainly seems like she means a real "year". She uses the words "grace year" a lot. ;)

I agree that a few months for something like a NICU/any crisis would be understandable. It was the whole year I took issue with... But I may be sensitive to this as I have had people tell me they had years like this and thought it was ok because Gid gave them other priorities that year...

If it's not a real "year" and it just means having grace here and here for a few weeks or months..then yes, total difference!

Ok, I read the article and I really didn't like the tone, especially the bit about, "You don't need a crisis to take a grace year." It sounded pretty much like if you feel you need a break or things are not going well just take a year off, you don't need a good reason. Taking off from schooling seems like the answer for everything for a lot of hs'ers. 

I know of someone who took a "Sabbath Year" though I don't recall the details.  I also know of someone who missed a year of school in high school due to a serious back injury.  This woman is now in medical school; the year off didn't hurt her one bit. 

Taking a year off for some reason doesn't necessarily mean that academics aren't important.  Not everyone is on the same timeline.  And as Ellie said, it doesn't necessarily mean no learning is going on.  My kids have gotten a lot of learning and made great leaps when we've gone through periods where traditional homeschooling was set aside.  I don't have the courage to do that for a year.  Honestly, I wish I did.

Well I'm of two different minds about it without even reading it. ;)

1. A genuine year off? Sure. No problem. Go for it! How fun and exciting! What are they going to do instead! :D

2. A vague, oh we're having a rough patch so we'll just take some time off? Uh. No. I have heard that a LOT over the 12 years we've been home schooling. Oh you just had a baby. Um I've had FIVE in that time, not even including miscarriages. Oh your dh lost his job. Um. Well it took him TWO year to find steady employment. Life happening is not really a valid reason to ditch educating our kids to us. If so, educating is going to really take a very long vacation in a very far back back seat. And in families I know that do this with this attitude, their kids are several years behind. Not just a break behind. YEARS. And it is not developmental reasons. It's just that parents decided not to get to it that day, week, month way way too often. :(

Well I'm of two different minds about it without even reading it. ;)

1. A genuine year off? Sure. No problem. Go for it! How fun and exciting! What are they going to do instead! :D

2. A vague, oh we're having a rough patch so we'll just take some time off? Uh. No. I have heard that a LOT over the 12 years we've been home schooling. Oh you just had a baby. Um I've had FIVE in that time, not even including miscarriages. Oh your dh lost his job. Um. Well it took him TWO year to find steady employment. Life happening is not really a valid reason to ditch educating our kids to us. If so, educating is going to really take a very long vacation in a very far back back seat. And in families I know that do this with this attitude, their kids are several years behind. Not just a break behind. YEARS. And it is not developmental reasons. It's just that parents decided not to get to it that day, week, month way way too often. :(

Well, see..if its the first one, if they are in crisis or burnout, they aren't going to be "doing" anything. They aren't taking a year away from "curriculum" to explore the real world or explore interests...they are taking a year off. That therein lies the difference for me. A year off from formal academics? Sure why not? As long as learning is happening. But honestly, that takes more work and effort most of the time. It's the times of crisis and hard times that a do the next thing workbook might be the best option. Prime learning moments are not likely to happen in high stress/times of crisis. Survival mode sets in. For me, if I don't have a plan in survival mode, nothing gets done.

"Does Your Homeschool Need A Grace Year?"

http://www.freehomeschooldeals.com/does-your-homeschool-need-a-grace-year/

Ok. I'll be honest, I have heard this irl before..people who say life happens or other things take priority .... But then when I saw this blog post and ALL of the comments appreciating it...I admit, it freaks me out a little. A whole year?!? I get a grace week...a grace month...even a few months (new baby, sickness, crisis) but then eventually you move on. If they were in school and crisis happened would you pull them out to do nothing? For a whole year? And the dept. of education would be ok with it?

I get backing down to the basics for a year in special circumstances...but NOTHING? I guess..I just think....if you need a complete year break you should put your child in school?

Am I way off? I get needing a break. I understand special circumstances... But a year?

Am I alone in my thinking? Being closed/narrow minded? Not realistic? I am curious as to others' thoughts...

Back in 2002 my dh got laid off. We were living in a state with family and he got sent even further away. I had 3 kids at the time and a house I needed to get ready to sell, maintain, and be willing to show with 5 minutes notice because we wanted to sell asap. Then he got laid off again and went to another state. The 3rd lay off had him changing companies and we wound up moving to a state we had no intentions of moving to. At the time my kids were 11, 9, and 5. I could not handle academics, the house, the emotional stuff of continuous lay offs, the we-are-moving-to-Minnesota-no-it'sMichigan-no-I-could-go-t-Alaska-never-mind-we-are-going-to-florida, the pets, the keeping the house spotless, the packing, etc. so my kids got about 8 months with NO academics.

2 have graduated. One has written a book. 1 is almost done with cosmetology school, and one is better than my math-minded mechanically-minded dh, despite not even learning to read till she was...gasp!...9!

Yea, don't judge till you've BTDT. :-)

Well, see..if its the first one, if they are in crisis or burnout, they aren't going to be "doing" anything. They aren't taking a year away from "curriculum" to explore the real world or explore interests...they are taking a year off.

That IS something to me. I don't think schooling is limited to curriculum necessarily.

I tend to agree with you, but we've had lots of times where we "took a break" and it was a time of traveling more, lots of trips to the zoo or museums, long walks and so forth. In theory, that is more work than do the next page. But it's also rejuvenating and more relaxing than doing/grading essays and math.

In all fairness to the author, she did say:

Your break does not necessarily need to be complete. You may focus on certain subjects like literacy, the 3 RĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s, or character while taking a break from other, less important (at that time and in that circumstance) subjects. Your familyĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s choice of how to take a Grace Year will depend on your unique family needs.

I think this also has a lot to do with environment. We severely limit screen time in our home, and we don't allow twaddle when it comes to books. My boys don't have a lot of ways to just completely waste their time. We've never taken a "Grace Year," but they have learned a lot over the years during times when we were doing less in the way of formal academics. 

Perhaps if the woman is an idiot we shouldn't spread her link and encourage hits on her blog that gain it more attention? 

There's a little something called the law.  In our state it wouldn't be legal to take off ENTIRELY. 

There's also something called human nature, which we all know means we take advantage of any excuse to give in to our weaknesses.

If a parent can't parent, they should get over themselves and find a solution.  Might mean putting them in school, hiring a tutor, whatever.  Kids don't wait while we have our personal crises.

If a parent won't parent, I hope the law steps in.

Did I get it wrong that the mom who wrote the article is the mom of the son and daughter who are the youngest to ever sail solo (or attempt) around the world alone? I don't think she means doing nothing - as clearly their family does some unconventional stuff with big results. I think a season of unschooling might be a good thing. Isn't that what Gap Year is? A year of life before college? I'm all for consistent hard core academics, but sometimes a season of passion and freedom could be a great thing.

I'm torn.

I think about unschooling at the end of every summer. I watch my kids spend their summers reading, writing, researching, "inventing", playing on Khan Academy, teaching each other, memorizing poems and bible passages, etc. With that in mind, I don't think a year off means a year of doing nothing.

OTOH, there is reality. There are state laws to follow. You can't just ditch school every time life gets tough. Why are my kids able to do that stuff during the summer? Because they are using the skills that they learned during the year.

So I guess that I am okay with it in theory but not in practice. It is okay to take a break when in crisis mode, but any crisis that is going to disrupt school for months needs a back up plan, IMO.

One sabbath year to undergo some transformative experience is one thing. Doing nothing and calling it life, is another, and one I don't think is too impressive.

However, I went to school with friends who had all sorts of personal drama, and they didn't get a pass. I had a friend who missed lots of school because she had to go translate for a family members during meetings with his doctor; he died before the end of the year, and she earned a scholarship to college. I have even read about new mothers who are expected back at public school the day after they are released from the hospital. I have seen articles and tributes in my town about young children's times at school during their own terminal illness. 

I think the problem is when we are very harsh on public schools doing certain things (showing movies during class time, taking lots of field trips, playing outdoors for hours, etc) and very supportive when homeschoolers do the same things, with the belief that school is fundamentally value-less, and being at home is somehow automatically enriching. Sometimes it's NOT. (I have seen dreadful homes that are intellectual wastelands.) Kids in public school live life too. They aren't shut away in a bubble where they can't learn fractions from making cookies with Grandma and the value of patience through woodworking with Gramps. Please.

I don't think the woman is an idiot and I didn't say she was. I also don't think the idea of a year off formal academics is stupid either. I think many people say these platitudes and some take them as they are without a whole lot of deeper consideration. (Eta, bc it makes them feel better about what they are doing or they really want what is hard to be easier, even if it doesn't mean better necessarily in the long run.)

I think time off formal academics to do something a person or a family feel passionately about or just to devote time to really reconnect as a family is a fabulous idea.

I think ditching schooling when life gets tough should be very temporary and even more infrequent. Because life frequently tosses difficulties in our path. Or maybe that is just me and my life.

Of course if for whatever reason it "speaks" to someone else, then whatever for them. That's why they have their kids to parent and I have mine. I won't criticize them for it even if I disagree with them.

One sabbath year to undergo some transformative experience is one thing. Doing nothing and calling it life, is another, and one I don't think is too impressive.

However, I went to school with friends who had all sorts of personal drama, and they didn't get a pass. I had a friend who missed lots of school because she had to go translate for a family members during meetings with his doctor; he died before the end of the year, and she earned a scholarship to college. I have even read about new mothers who are expected back at public school the day after they are released from the hospital. I have seen articles and tributes in my town about young children's times at school during their own terminal illness. 

I think the problem is when we are very harsh on public schools doing certain things (showing movies during class time, taking lots of field trips, playing outdoors for hours, etc) and very supportive when homeschoolers do the same things, with the belief that school is fundamentally value-less, and being at home is somehow automatically enriching. Sometimes it's NOT. (I have seen dreadful homes that are intellectual wastelands.) Kids in public school live life too. They aren't shut away in a bubble where they can't learn fractions from making cookies with Grandma and the value of patience through woodworking with Gramps. Please.

I agree it seems that this article plays to the weaknesses of all too many hs'ers. I also wonder why it is that all these hs'ers have to have all these breaks, I don't think this is what we should be supporting but rather support for those going through rough patches to help them through.

I know too many that just totally drop schooling as they have "emergencies" but the emergencies are habitual. I do think that there can be some really worthwhile things to do that aren't formal school and also some really tough periods that would necessitate some breaks but I think this article is more harmful and discouraging than helpful.

Well, see..if its the first one, if they are in crisis or burnout, they aren't going to be "doing" anything. They aren't taking a year away from "curriculum" to explore the real world or explore interests...they are taking a year off. That therein lies the difference for me. A year off from formal academics? Sure why not? As long as learning is happening. But honestly, that takes more work and effort most of the time. It's the times of crisis and hard times that a do the next thing workbook might be the best option. Prime learning moments are not likely to happen in high stress/times of crisis. Survival mode sets in. For me, if I don't have a plan in survival mode, nothing gets done.

This.

We had a crisis several years ago. A family member died suddenly and tragically, I then spent two freaking years (yes, you read that correctly) sorting out the messiest, most complicated estate ever. It was in another state which meant I had to travel back and forth. The first nine months were the hardest. I had four small children including a nursing baby, we had just moved to a new town where I didn't have many friends or a support system built yet . . . and . . .  during those first nine months I accidently got pregnant twice (we'll blame stress) - one miscarriage and then the sickest pregnancy I've ever had.

Yet, we did school every single day at 9 am. I had a kindergartner and a 1st grader at the time. I was using Sonlight and Singapore Math so I just opened it up each morning and did the next thing. Then I told my kids to play nice while I shut myself up in my bedroom to work on the estate. I took off 4 weeks at the time of the death when I had to leave to make all the funeral arrangements. I took off 2 weeks when I went back down to clean out the house and handle the estate sale. I handled everything else long distance. I didn't sleep, I stopped exercising, and I gained 10 lbs. Yet, I can't imagine having used it as an excuse to take a "grace year". No learning would have happened. Do you think I was taking my kids to the art museum? Do you think we were out observing bugs in the garden? Do you think I was catching teachable moments? Do you think we were following rabbit trails? Heck no! I was spending 8-10 hrs a day handling the estate. I was barely functioning.

I respect unschoolers. I genuinely believe learning can happen during periods without structure. I just don't think that kind of learning happens during a crisis. You just don't have the time or emotional energy for it. A crisis is when you bust out the boxed curriculum . . . or . . . you put them in school for a season.

I agree it seems that this article plays to the weaknesses of all too many hs'ers.

Yup, the if I want to, when I want to... I'm hearing from multiple sources this is a problem in homeschool graduates.

I'm all for unschooling, interest-led learning, enriched environments.  If you want to take off a year from your curriculum rut and go unschool, do interest-led, or sail around the world, more power to you.  Pudewa talks about doing a year of read-alouds, which I think would be awesome.  That's not the same as a year of nothing or whitewashing neglect.

I just read the article.  The writer states her homeschool philosophy pretty clearly:

When your homeschool goals are based primarily on character and godliness, you can afford to take a break from the academics for a season.

All y'all who think she's nuts or an idiot or just plain wrong in her thinking simply have different priorities than she does. 

Am I the only one who would find a "grace" year more stressful than just continuing on after a short break for a crisis?  Taking long breaks makes ME feel behind and overwhelmed.  I start feeling like I'll never be able to catch up and the children will be horribly uneducated and spend the rest of their lives poor and unfulfilled and homeless and it will all be my fault lol!  Seriously, I'm sure there's a right way to "do" a grace year that would provide wonderful learning opportunities, but it wouldn't be worth the worry on my part.

I just read the article.  The writer states her homeschool philosophy pretty clearly:

When your homeschool goals are based primarily on character and godliness, you can afford to take a break from the academics for a season.

All y'all who think she's nuts or an idiot or just plain wrong in her thinking simply have different priorities than she does. 

The law is still the law, and I think character and godliness is formed BY doing the academics.  So not different priorities, just different logic.  

I don't get it. I actually think unschooling is an awesome, wonderful thing. I also thing it takes a *more* involved parent to keep providing the right resources at the right time. Good unschooling is extremely difficult. So this isn't talking about unschooling. This is talking about not schooling. While I find unschooling to be an awesome option, I find not schooling to be plain neglectful.

Your break does not necessarily need to be complete. You may focus on certain subjects like literacy, the 3 RĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s, or character while taking a break from other, less important (at that time and in that circumstance) subjects. Your familyĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s choice of how to take a Grace Year will depend on your unique family needs.

She isn't saying to always skip the 3Rs.

When your homeschool goals are based primarily on character and godliness, you can afford to take a break from the academics for a season. I mean, if you are drinking wine in the afternoon and watching soap operas while your kids are watching cartoons upstairs, get some help, but otherwise donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t feel the need to shield your kids from real life. Learning how to navigate lifeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s trials by seeking God through prayer and fellowship should be a part of every childĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s upbringing. They are going to face their own trials one day and your example will help them find their way during those times.

When you are focusing on character and godliness and including your child in adult prayers and fellowship, they are not doing "nothing". My oldest son (now 27) to this day still says that Family Worship time was the most important part of his education and that almost everything he used in college and now at work was learned while we read and sang and talked and researched during Family Worship time. Reading comprehension, literary analysis, speech, poetry, history, geography, science, music,  art history, politics, economics, archeology, research skills, etc. are just some of the school subjects that were covered almost daily.

My oldest also spent his teen years working more than schooling, and he learned SO much more at work than he did while studying his texts. The only reason this happened was that he was fresh out of PS, was raised in an environment where men didn't respect women, and he was well over 200 pounds at 14, and truthfully, I couldn't physically make him do more school work. He was working hard at SOMETHING, and I chose to pick my battles, even though I wasn't at ALL happy about the situation at the TIME. Now, I wouldn't change how things went for ANYTHING.

He stank, he sweated, his feet swelled up, and he even cried sometimes, when I picked him up for work, and the next day he begged to go back. He worked alongside men from around the world who took him under their wings and made him the man he is today. God bless every one of them. Including the semi-functional drug addict who threw his teeth up in the toilet and had them accidentally flushed by one of the other workers, and then had to work a full month toothless to pay for the new set of teeth. That incident had a powerful affect on my son.

My youngest was constantly carted with a bag of books while I worked on church business. Looking back I wish I had let him join us more than worrying about whether his math got done or not. He's 25 now and doesn't use all that math I stressed over.

Not everyone is schooling for academic reasons. Yes, they are doing academics, but their goals are not "Greek" goals. This Greek vs Hebrew worldview chart is overly simplistic and just not that great for so many reasons, but it's a good introduction to how some people have very different goals than others. I'm not saying Greek or Hebrew goals are better, I'm just saying they are different worldviews. I'm not even saying this chart is an accurate list of Greek and Hebrew worldviews. And I'm certainly not saying Hebrew goals are more Christian than Greek ones.  http://www.heartofwisdom.com/homeschoollinks/greek-vs-hebrew-education/

In certain homes, with certain children, there is no such thing as "nothing". Education is like breathing for some of us. We don't stop learning unless we die.

Sometimes the texts just get in the way of the real learning. If I'd had my way, my older would of been chanting Latin declensions instead of watching someone throw up, and where would he be today? I'm afraid to know the answer to that question. Truly.

In certain homes, with certain children, there is no such thing as "nothing". Education is like breathing for some of us. We don't stop learning unless we die.

Sometimes the texts just get in the way of the real learning. If I'd had my way, my older would of been chanting Latin declensions instead of watching someone throw up, and where would he be today? I'm afraid to know the answer to that question. Truly.

In some homes it is this way but in too many homes it just isn't, instead it is lots of videogames and tv and I'm afraid this article panders to the latter not the former. 

I get that kids can and do catch up but it takes a dedicated mother working hard and persistently. I think some of us are imagining the best case scenario and some of us the worse. As I said I personally know too many that are always putting off school for 1001 different reasons and certainly not because they are busy leading enriching lives. Their children are already drastically behind in skills and there is no thought as to catching them up and no thought as to when school will be consistently done. The homes are not educationally enriched. I can see them reading an article such as this and saying, "Oh ya we're taking a Grace Year" and I'm wondering about the previous 5, I guess those were all Grace Years as well.

Out of curiosity what law are you speaking of?

I thought she meant state laws about academic requirements for homeschoolers. Even in the most "lax" states with no reporting, there are expectations laid out by the state, and to totally neglect them would not be following the law.

The law is still the law, and I think character and godliness is formed BY doing the academics.  So not different priorities, just different logic.  

The author doesn't address that - but I wouldn't suggest she is recommending breaking homeschool laws.   A full "grace year" in which we did absolutely nothing would be a little difficult here in PA, since we have to produce a portfolio of work.  But I can't think of any homeschoolers I know who would have a year of nothing.   I see the posts in this thread about the homeschoolers who do nothing at all and I don't doubt they exist though I have never met one.  Even the most relaxed of homeschoolers, in my experience, learn a lot. Just differently. 

After reading the article a couple of times, I can't say I agree with every word of it, and I think some people could take her thoughts to extreme.   But I think overall the idea of stepping back a bit as needed is a good thing.  I think some homeschoolers put too much pressure on themselves and on their kids.  People talk about educational neglect but there is also the problem of putting so much academic pressure on kids that they become anxious and depressed.  Not everyone is made to do the same things the same way.

People talk about educational neglect but there is also the problem of putting so much academic pressure on kids that they become anxious and depressed.  Not everyone is made to do the same things the same way.

I think we have to worry about our own weaknesses and it seems far more common for hs'ers to be inclined towards laziness, at least where I live. I've yet to meet anyone irl that I thought was pushing too hard, although I've seen some on-line that leaned that direction.

In some homes it is this way but in too many homes it just isn't, instead it is lots of videogames and tv and I'm afraid this article panders to the latter not the former. 

I get that kids can and do catch up but it takes a dedicated mother working hard and persistently. I think some of us are imagining the best case scenario and some of us the worse. As I said I personally know too many that are always putting off school for 1001 different reasons and certainly not because they are busy leading enriching lives. Their children are already drastically behind in skills and there is no thought as to catching them up and no thought as to when school will be consistently done. The homes are not educationally enriched. I can see them reading an article such as this and saying, "Oh ya we're taking a Grace Year" and I'm wondering about the previous 5, I guess those were all Grace Years as well.

Yes, these people are out there.  Having taught paid classes locally and still being a local community college professor, I've taught some kids who truly did almost nothing educational for a significant amount of time (i.e. more than six months).  And these were not little kids less than 10 years old.

I'm teaching a kid at the community college now who told me that he was homeschooled until his last two years of high school.  He did almost nothing educational for 9th-10th grade, then a relative pushed and begin to ask questions until he was enrolled in public school.  Thankfully he caught up somewhat in high school, but he's told me multiple times that he's barely passing his college classes and is very worried because he has dreams that are going to be impossible if he can't come up academically.

I think we have to worry about our own weaknesses and it seems far more common for hs'ers to be inclined towards laziness, at least where I live. I've yet to meet anyone irl that I thought was pushing too hard, although I've seen some on-line that leaned that direction.

I agree with you that we all have to worry about our own weaknesses, but I don't think homeschoolers as a group are any more inclined towards laziness than any other group of people.  I am pretty sure there are a few lazy parents with kids in public schools.  

But maybe I don't notice so much because I'm busy worrying about my own weaknesses and not paying so much attention to others'.

I agree with you that we all have to worry about our own weaknesses, but I don't think homeschoolers as a group are any more inclined towards laziness than any other group of people.  I am pretty sure there are a few lazy parents with kids in public schools.  

But maybe I don't notice so much because I'm busy worrying about my own weaknesses and not paying so much attention to others'.

If parents are lazy in ps it isn't such a big deal as they aren't the ones entirely responsible for their children's education. 

My concern is that I don't think it is what most struggling hs'ers need and I think it is more likely to be damaging than helpful. 

My words are coming across harsher than my thoughts. My concern is due to seeing people I care about struggling and seeing the vast majority of the hs community around them blowing it off and encouraging more breaks and slacking instead of examining what needs to be changed to make school successful.

If someone is struggling to the point they need a year off, I think they should seek outside help with the schooling (online, dvd courses, paying a tutor, etc.). 

In our state it would probably be considered illegal and grounds for legal action. Our state law is that homeschooling include all the basic subjects, so if someone took a year off of academics, I think they could get in trouble for it. Honestly, I think it would be grounds for action almost anywhere. It isn't any different than truancy from public school. 

I agree with you that we all have to worry about our own weaknesses, but I don't think homeschoolers as a group are any more inclined towards laziness than any other group of people. I am pretty sure there are a few lazy parents with kids in public schools.

No one is saying homeschool families are more "lazy" than anyone else. But if a public school parent was being told "in crisis it's ok to not send your child to school for the year because of xyz" would we say 'of course! No problem! Take a grace year'!"

I doubt that, so why is it ok for homeschoolers? I don't understand the enabling here...and yes, I have seen it all too often irl which probably makes me over sensitive about it. ;)

Again we are not talking taking a year to "unschool" or pursue passions... We are not talking relaxed schooling...we are talking granting permission to do NOTHING for a year. I am not even talking about going down to the basics. The article said you could not go complete gap year, you could do the basics...that I understand. I don't understand the "don't worry just do nothing for a YEAR. I totally advocate take a break when needed...I recently wrote a blog post on avoiding homeschool burnout. http://onemagnificentobsession.blogspot.com/2013/11/avoiding-homeschool-burnout.html It's real. We need breaks. I get that.

I find the last bit of that quote rather condescending. Perhaps you didn't mean it that way? We as a society should certainly care about kids falling through the cracks whether they be homeschooled, private schooled, or public schooled. Yes, we all have weaknesses, and we should be concerned abut them, but that does not give us license to selfishly turn the other cheek to injustice. And yes, educational neglect is injustice.

Sadly, sometimes another's weakness is so flagrant it's hard to ignore. Sometimes it goes beyond academics to things related to medical care or emotional stuff. That is not the norm, of course, but it's out there.

Yes, these people are out there.  Having taught paid classes locally and still being a local community college professor, I've taught some kids who truly did almost nothing educational for a significant amount of time (i.e. more than six months).  And these were not little kids less than 10 years old.

I'm teaching a kid at the community college now who told me that he was homeschooled until his last two years of high school.  He did almost nothing educational for 9th-10th grade, then a relative pushed and begin to ask questions until he was enrolled in public school.  Thankfully he caught up somewhat in high school, but he's told me multiple times that he's barely passing his college classes and is very worried because he has dreams that are going to be impossible if he can't come up academically.

Yep. I had a kid in my class just recently who had been legally homeschooled in a low-regulation state. Due to the fact that she'd been caring for her father during a long illness she really hadn't done anything academic for several years (since middle school). She wanted to major in a STEM field but was struggling to pass the developmental math classes. She ended up withdrawing from my class and the last I heard she'd left the university.

Yeah, I do think she would have been better off if attending public school instead of basically staying at home to be an unpaid nurse's aide.

Well, I've known people who sent their kids back to school after homeschool disasters in which the kids learned very little. It seems to be the common assumption around people I know that homeschooling is a phase that ends with a crash and burn, and enrolling in school.