Menu

Do I want an electric kettle, or what?

VaKim

I have been considering an electric kettle for heating water, and keeping it hot, to have on hand for tea, instant coffee, cocoa, etc. My mom always had one of them plugged in, as they used to drink instant coffee all day long. Seems like all the ones now have an automatic cut off after so long, or don't keep the water hot. I would like something we could leave on and use throughout the day, like my parents did. Does anyone have any suggestions? 

I got one last year and I didn't think I would like it as much as I do.  I am one of those people that doesn't like single use things-- but I use this water heater at least twice a day.  In the summer I don't heat up the kitchen with a burner.  I don't have to worry about it boiling over if I get busy elsewhere in the house, I don't have to worry that I left a burner on when I leave the house. 

Honestly, I should have gotten one years ago.

We just have a electric kettle from Costco that we use many times a day. It only takes a minute to boil, so I do not mind using it for single uses. At my office though, we have an in-sink hot water (boiling) dispenser. InSinkErator is the brand and it is fantastic! They are quite pricey though. They can be found at home improvement stores like Home Depot and Lowes.

We just have a electric kettle from Costco that we use many times a day. It only takes a minute to boil, so I do not mind using it for single uses.

ITA.

Also, I want *fresh* water for my tea. :-) I put water in my favorite mug (it has a mesh tea infuser that was made to fit it), and pour just that much in my electric tea kettle. Pretty much, by the time I have the loose tea in the mug and ready to go, the water is boiling.

I'm not willing to pay the big bucks for one of those gizmos that keeps water hot all day. And since I want my water to boil, not just be hot, I'm not sure it would work for me, anyway.

I had always adamantly poopooed the idea of an electric kettle... until I was given one. I initially thought it would be hidden away only to be trotted out when the giver came over, but one usage was all it took to see how very mistaken I had been. Electric kettles rule.

For tea, it's better to have an electric kettle into which you put fresh water each time you make a cup.  The oxygen in fresh water makes a difference to the taste.

Like the PP, I have an electric kettle that boils really fast and into which you can put exactly the amount of water you need.  I set the kettle to boil, then assemble tea, cup/pot and milk.  By that time, the water's pretty much boiled.

L

So, it is sounding like I do want an electric kettle.  :001_smile:  Can't imagine spending tons of money for something like that. Think we'd just stick with the microwave before I'd do that. Now, to figure out which one. I do want a pretty one I can leave out all the time and not be an eyesore. 

4deef3ff.jpg

C'mon. You know you want it. It makes great tea. It never tastes flat like when a kettle boils out. It keeps the water hot, but not so hot that your teas taste bitter, and you can do cool things like make jello and instant cocoa.

I love this thing and always feel a little put out when I forget to refill it and it's not hot and ready for me in the morning. I'm then forced to break out my electric kettle and WAIT. Like a caveman! Wah!

ETA: I'm aware this is impractical for a lot of people. My friend has an electric kettle with different temp. settings. I wish my electric kettle had that.

4deef3ff.jpg

C'mon. You know you want it. It makes great tea. It never tastes flat like when a kettle boils out. It keeps the water hot, but not so hot that your teas taste bitter, and you can do cool things like make jello and instant cocoa.

I love this thing and always feel a little put out when I forget to refill it and it's not hot and ready for me in the morning. I'm then forced to break out my electric kettle and WAIT. Like a caveman! Wah!

ETA: I'm aware this is impractical for a lot of people. My friend has an electric kettle with different temp. settings. I wish my electric kettle had that.

You are right. I would love to have it. Somebody want to buy me one?  :)  I think I had seen this recommended on here before and drooled over them for awhile before coming back to earth, lol.

Tea only tastes flat if you boiled the heck out of the water before you brewed your tea with it, or if you didn't use fresh water in the first place.

Water that is merely hot isn't hot enough for black tea. It might be for green teas, which I understand don't need boiling water, but for black tea...let that fresh water boil. :-)

Link, please. :-)

You can get them at amazon, teavana, or your local Asian store.

It brings the water to a boil initially, but holds it under boiling so it's ready for tea. Even though the water is hot all day, it never tastes like tea made with overboiled water. I think it dechlorinates the water too. Having the lower settings is nice for green and white teas too. I usually have it come on at 208 in the morning and afternoon for black tea, then bump it to a lower temp for green tea at night.

I never get through a second day without refilling, so I'm not sure what happens if you let it sit for a week with the same water.

You can get them at amazon, teavana, or your local Asian store.

It brings the water to a boil initially, but holds it under boiling so it's ready for tea. Even though the water is hot all day, it never tastes like tea made with overboiled water. I think it dechlorinates the water too. Having the lower settings is nice for green and white teas too. I usually have it come on at 208 in the morning and afternoon for black tea, then bump it to a lower temp for green tea at night.

I never get through a second day without refilling, so I'm not sure what happens if you let it sit for a week with the same water.

I found some at Amazon, but there seem to be a lot of versions.  Any suggestions on which one would be good?

I am a tea drinker. I would not survive without my electric kettle. See UO thread - it travels with me on all overnight stays in hotels along with my tea bags and stainless steel interior travel mug. Actually, the travel mug is what I use all day, everyday for my tea. Black, the strong the better. I only take the tea bag out to make a new cup. :)

Boiling dechlorinates water.

I found some at Amazon, but there seem to be a lot of versions. Any suggestions on which one would be good?

Mine says 4.0L CD-LCC40 on it. It's been running for about 8 years, so things could be different now.

I DO resist the urge to travel with it. I already get teased for bringing my own tea and the electric kettle with me :-/