Menu

Your best wishes and prayers, please

My 21 yo daughter has a dear group of friends that has suffered devastating losses in the last two years. There was a horrific car accident, a tragic death, and a resulting suicide. These are wonderful young people in their twenties with so much promise, but the circumstances have really taken their toll on the surviving friends. Last night, my dd received word that a very remarkable young man has been hospitalized under serious condition and we are awaiting word on his prognosis. Please keep him and his family and friends in your hearts. I am once again reminded of how vulnerable our young people can be.

For those of you whose own children struggle with depression and other mental-health challenges, may the holiday season bring you comfort and healing. :grouphug:

I am praying for this group of young people too.....

My own dd13 is currently on an anti depressant.   DD16 is having what I think are mini seizures too, after a terrible time and hospital stay with no diagnosis.  There have been 3 suicides among teens locally and 1 pre teen died of Cancer, as well as a few fatal car wrecks.  

Thank you everyone for your kind words, hugs, prayers and good wishes. My dd's friend is stabilized, but we are unsure of the level of damage at this point other than some liver damage. He graduated from high school a year early on scholarship to an Ivy. He has a fine mind and a great heart and was the backbone of the group through so much of the worst of the tragedies. The need for healing is huge on many levels. Please continue to hold him, his family and friends in your hearts

For those of you with young people home on break from college during the holidays, remind them that if they party, a designated driver for the group is not enough. Stay off the roads. If you must party, stay put. This devastating chain of events started when an older brother did the right thing and picked up a younger brother from a party. They were t-boned at 80 mph by a car full of drunk teens. This was two years ago and it is an event that continues to cause destruction and pain that no one could have foreseen.

Of course you all know I can't write on the topic of depression without a reminder that if you know a family that is struggling with this issue, please reach out. It can be difficult to maintain privacy, but still let people know that you are there for them; however, it means a great deal to those involved.

To all of you on this board that have shown such kindness and understanding to my family through the years, thank you and :grouphug: .

Please don't quote this; I will be removing parts that could identify those involved.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/family/2013/11/families_dealing_with_mental_illness_need_support_too.html

Your comment about coming alongside families dealing with depression reminded me of this article.

Sebastian, thank you for sharing this. It is much more eloquent than anything I could write. Mental health issues are the elephant in the room and until we, as a nation, change the way we perceive and treat mental health issues, it will stay that unapproachable, taboo topic.

I am praying for this group of young people too.....

My own dd13 is currently on an anti depressant.   DD16 is having what I think are mini seizures too, after a terrible time and hospital stay with no diagnosis.  There have been 3 suicides among teens locally and 1 pre teen died of Cancer, as well as a few fatal car wrecks.  

:grouphug: I am so sorry. May there answers soon for your older dd and may your younger be on the path to recovery.