Menu

Great TV shows/movies (or Netflix) that I'm not watching???

Dianne-TX

Ooo, love the BBC Robin Hood--but be prepared for anacronisms left and right!

We are enjoying Call the Midwife. Dd and I have watched nearly all of them. It's given us much to discuss.

Now we are going thru LOST for the second time. I just love that show! There's always more to find, even if you know all the secrets.

If you want something non-fiction/documentary, we REALLY enjoyed The Story of Film. We talk like the narrator all the time as a joke...but if you can not let his accent bother you, it's informative and interesting, and helps you appreciate the art of film. For example, I always was all about the plot and the characters in a movie; now I understand how there is so much intentional choice that goes into the actual visual film--how scenes were framed, what is in focus, how light is used, how people move, etc. It's like literary analysis only visual. (Well,duh--but I never considered that before.)

Now we are going thru LOST for the second time. I just love that show! There's always more to find, even if you know all the secrets.

All the secrets the writers chose to reveal or elaborate on later, anyway. ;) I've been rewatching the first season with DD, and though I am enjoying it I keep thinking, "You'll never find out what that means. That either. And that sounds like it might be important, but it is never mentioned again."

Monarch of the Glenn

Call the Midwife

Bomb Girls

Land Girls

Miss FIsher Mysteries

Brothers and Sisters (I don't know if that is still on Netflix, but I really enjoyed it)

Parks and Recreation

The Office (American, not Uk, just didn't like it or get a lot of the popular references)

Foyle's War--available on Netflix. Season 7 just came out and was available on pbs.org for a time but is no longer there. Episodes are about 1.5 hours long

George Gently

Doc Martin

Inspector Lewis--only a couple seasons available on Netflix, others on Amazon Prime, Hulu/Plus

Persons Unknown--a bit like Lost; sadly only 1 season

I am currently enjoying Star Trek Voyager which I started watching when it originally aired but never kept up with

I second: 

Foyle's War (this is like watching a British mystery movie with great acting and characters, set during WWII...and it's a series)

Call the Midwife (realistic births, interesting characters)

Firefly (takes an episode or two to get into it but its all about the characters)

Warehouse 13 (just good genre fun)

Parks and Recreation (but we didn't like the 1st season, it really picks up when they add new characters in the 2nd season)

I would add: 

Freaks & Geeks (show about high school kids in the early '80s, I actually cried when this was over)

Pushing Daisies (so sweet and odd)

Dead Like Me (not sweet at all and odd)

News Radio (amazing ensemble piece that completely relies on characters and acting)

Arrested Development (in some ways it reminds me of the old show Soap in that there is nothing they won't parody)

Fringe (science fiction show that broke out of it's monster of the week format to really rely on it's characters)

Orphan Black (if you like HBO and the BBC this is like the two of them had a child and then cloned it)

We have cable, netflix, and hulu so these are a mix of suggestions.

Once Upon a Time

Revenge

Reign (LOVE it even if it isn't historically accurate and I am too old to find the guys near as cute as I do.)

Sleepy Hollow

Downton Abbey

Agents of Shield (on the fence about it still)

Arrow (1st season is netflix, and 2nd on hulu/cable)

Project Runway

Welcome to the Family (very funny but not for young kids)