Menu

Xmas presents - boycotting computer games/screens

Hakg

I can remember as a kid being really disappointed at Christmas because my parents never gave me what I really wanted, or gave me a cheap knockoff.  Like real Levi's jeans, and they bought some bargain pair from Sears.  I didn't realize they simply couldn't afford the things I wanted.  We don't talk about finances too much with our kids, but they know we have limits. 

This made me laugh.  For Xmas one year when Cabbage Patch Kids were all the rage, my sisters and I got cheap knock off from our parents.  Its funny how even as kids, you know when you are not receiving the genuine article!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are boycotting this year except for one Skylander character each. My kids only have a wii and they really only love to play Skylanders on it but they spend more time banned from it then playing with it. They fight terribly when they play and they get really grumpy when I tell them to turn it off. We went through a period where they could think of nothing else but Skylanders and they were rushing through school to get time to play. They haven't played for a couple weeks now and are actually playing outside and making up their own games again.

I'm so glad you posted this.  I have had a very similar experience.  DS has been banned for 1 week from all screens and it is amazing how his temperament has been so much more pleasant.  Prior to the ban, he would get frustrated and annoyed when I told him his time was up and he had to come off. Like yours, mine would also rush through school work to get to his Minecraft!

I have noticed that since the ban has been in place, he has been forced to do the things he had sort of abandoned.  He is playing outside more, has started writing a book, spends time with his pets, plays with his Lego technic and Mindstorms robot.

Now I only wish I could keep the ban in place, but I know that isn't going to happen...

This made me laugh.  For Xmas one year when Cabbage Patch Kids were all the rage, my sisters and I got cheap knock off from our parents.  Its funny how even as kids, you know when you are not receiving the genuine article!

oh, i got a knock off cabbage patch too, lol. but i LOVED it!  in fact christmas morning we had finished unwrapping everything & i felt a little disappointed that i didn't get it.  it was the only thing i really wanted. my parents said, "oh...i think i saw something in the kitchen earlier. i forgot."   it was my doll!!  I'm 42 and i still have that thing!  :D

and as far as no electronics, my son is going to have a great christmas for sure (my daughter could care less about any electronic stuff).  no gaming stuff doesn't mean super lame. he's still going to get uber cool gifts :thumbup1:

What age range is this good for? The description says 3-5 years.

This is what it says at the site I purchased from:

The Original Gyro Car’s sleek design makes it an instant classic and its range of six fantastic colours make it a perfect gift for most 3 to 12 year olds.

Whether a 12 year old would be seen on one is another thing?  I think it can hold up to 120kg.

Edited to add: my 9yo uses his all the time.

I would never think of doing that. Of course I want him to have what he really wants, and he usually gets much of what he wants (within reason), but I do worry about over use of computer games and the like.

Last year for Xmas, when DS was 8, he *desperately* wanted the shiny new (console of the month) Wii U, and a couple of games. He got it all, but he also got a number of other items I chose that I knew he would like. One item was a Gyrocar (not sure if you have them in the US). http://thatsmytoy.com.au/gyro-cars/gyro-car-bullet-blue.

That Gyrocar ended up being his most loved, most used, Christmas present. He still uses it on a daily basis. So the point is, I don't buy him items based on what I want him to have, but I like to expand his interests and steer them away from electronics a little.

I think that's an excellent approach.

Well, the thing is, he has so much already, does he really need the new PS4 when he has the PS2 and 3 and so many other platforms? How much is enough?  His favourite thing to do is play Minecraft on his computer, and I think even a shiny new PS4 (which here costs a little under $600) will be cast aside in favour of Minecraft (which I am already limiting).  I feel that purchasing more of this stuff is just encouraging him and its not reall path I want him to take.  Mine used to be outdoorsy until the dreaded Minecraft entered our house!  and yes it is *dreaded* to me because its far too addictive.

I too wonder how he will feel not getting anything he has asked for.  So you have me questioning my decision.  I don't want to be Grinch Mom!

Think outside the X-Box! What about getting Minecraft books and accessories in place of more software? My kids have read and re-read Pokemon and FInal Fantasy game books until the spines come apart. It doesn't replace their other reading. It seems to replace game time! Plus the accessories are all under the topic the child is interested in: Minecraft. So it will seem like you are respecting his true wishes for Christmas without just handing over more software.

Just one of the many books on the topic:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Players-Guide-Minecraft/dp/0789752239/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1383904137&sr=1-8&keywords=minecraft

There is a calendar too. 

http://www.amazon.com/Minecraft-2014-Calendar-Trends/dp/1438826486/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1383904374&sr=1-1&keywords=minecraft+calendar

Here is a minecraft Lego set

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Minecraft-The-Nether-21106/dp/B00EJOCB4G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1383904407&sr=8-3&keywords=minecraft

A minecraft T-shirt

http://www.amazon.com/Minecraft-Adventure-Youth-T-Shirt-Large/dp/B009OLG1WC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1383904407&sr=8-4&keywords=minecraft

A minecraft wall torch (maybe they can explore outside at night with these)

http://www.amazon.com/Minecraft-Think-Geek-Wall-Torch/dp/B00B0FV4FE/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1383904407&sr=8-7&keywords=minecraft

And a minecraft foam sword (to play outside with along with the torch!)

http://www.amazon.com/ThinkGeek-8EA12-Minecraft-Foam-Sword/dp/B007BYEF5E/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1383904407&sr=8-8&keywords=minecraft

Think outside the X-Box! What about getting Minecraft books and accessories in place of more software? My kids have read and re-read Pokemon and FInal Fantasy game books until the spines come apart. It doesn't replace their other reading. It seems to replace game time! Plus the accessories are all under the topic the child is interested in: Minecraft. So it will seem like you are respecting his true wishes for Christmas without just handing over more software.

This is a good idea too!  Last year my son received a bunch of Pokemon toys and books and they are still read and played with often.  I saw there is a new book out this year that I think is for the region that's covered in X/Y, so we'll probably get him that this year. 

I belong to a Moms of Minecraft Kids on Facebook and someone posted that Target has been selling foam diamond swords and pick-axes, etc.  Might be worth checking out for a Minecraft fan.

Thanks, but he already has all of this bar the first 2 items.  His b'day was in Sept and it was heavily Minecraft themed.

Just one of the many books on the topic:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Players-Guide-Minecraft/dp/0789752239/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1383904137&sr=1-8&keywords=minecraft

There is a calendar too. 

http://www.amazon.com/Minecraft-2014-Calendar-Trends/dp/1438826486/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1383904374&sr=1-1&keywords=minecraft+calendar

Here is a minecraft Lego set

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Minecraft-The-Nether-21106/dp/B00EJOCB4G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1383904407&sr=8-3&keywords=minecraft

A minecraft T-shirt

http://www.amazon.com/Minecraft-Adventure-Youth-T-Shirt-Large/dp/B009OLG1WC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1383904407&sr=8-4&keywords=minecraft

A minecraft wall torch (maybe they can explore outside at night with these)

http://www.amazon.com/Minecraft-Think-Geek-Wall-Torch/dp/B00B0FV4FE/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1383904407&sr=8-7&keywords=minecraft

And a minecraft foam sword (to play outside with along with the torch!)

http://www.amazon.com/ThinkGeek-8EA12-Minecraft-Foam-Sword/dp/B007BYEF5E/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1383904407&sr=8-8&keywords=minecraft

Great ideas. Thank you!

My sister LOVED the CAbbage Patch Kids and wanted one badle. (I had outgrown them, being a full 21 months older). My dad got her a "Garbage Pail Kid" instead... IT was AWFUL. One of those "Fails"  He admits now it would have been better to have just not gotten anything at all. Because a completely different gift would have been accepted better than that.  Fortunately, our parents generally made really good choices of gifts.

Now that I am a parent I appreciate that MUCH better!

We are doing a mix.  We didn't plan on getting anything electronic - it was to be legos and perler beads and sticker books, etc.  But, our Wii, which we play as a family, and is the only game console we have, has not worked properly since we had a few power surges / outages.  The kids miss it, and we miss the family time! 

So, we are getting a Wii U for our family, the kids can use their existing games (although I was considering getting them Disney infinity, which I think they would love...).  We will do hands on stuff like perler beads and biggie beads, animal sticker encyclopedias, and other things to have a nice balance.  Sometimes you plan on boycotting, but circumstances change.  We'll save the big lego sets that had been the plan for birthdays!

Ok, somehow I missed that your kid already has all this stuff.....wow!  My kids would be jealous.....I am not telling them!

My kids each have a tablet to use.  They have a Wii and PS2.  They don't seem to want the PS3 and are selling their Xbox 360 as they don't like it.

Do they have a good set of bikes, balls, that sort of thing?

No offence intended.  This is what my DS already has: Ipad, Ipad mini, Ipod Touch, Kindle Fire, PS Vita, PS3, Wii U, Xbox, 2 laptops, 3DS, regular DS, and mountains of games to go with all of these devices.  He's not missing out, and yes of course he does love this stuff - no denying that.  However, I have been reading about the damage these devices are causing to kids (even in moderation) and I want to limit his exposure, so this year am opting for outdoorsy toys and things that will encourage exercise.

Really, I am just curious about those who ARE boycotting to see how many of you feel the same.

No offence intended. This is what my DS already has: Ipad, Ipad mini, Ipod Touch, Kindle Fire, PS Vita, PS3, Wii U, Xbox, 2 laptops, 3DS, regular DS, and mountains of games to go with all of these devices. He's not missing out, and yes of course he does love this stuff - no denying that. However, I have been reading about the damage these devices are causing to kids (even in moderation) and I want to limit his exposure, so this year am opting for outdoorsy toys and things that will encourage exercise.

Really, I am just curious about those who ARE boycotting to see how many of you feel the same.

Wow! Your kid has more electronics than we have in our entire house!!! (And I don't consider myself a total Luddite. We have two iPads, a laptop, a desktop, an iPod, a Kindle, Apple TV, and one television.)

We are doing a mix.  We didn't plan on getting anything electronic - it was to be legos and perler beads and sticker books, etc.  But, our Wii, which we play as a family, and is the only game console we have, has not worked properly since we had a few power surges / outages.  The kids miss it, and we miss the family time! 

So, we are getting a Wii U for our family, the kids can use their existing games (although I was considering getting them Disney infinity, which I think they would love...).  We will do hands on stuff like perler beads and biggie beads, animal sticker encyclopedias, and other things to have a nice balance.  Sometimes you plan on boycotting, but circumstances change.  We'll save the big lego sets that had been the plan for birthdays!

In case you decide to buy Disney Infinity, I know I read that it will be going on sale for half price in a few stores on Black Friday.

I think it may have been Walmart and either Best Buy or GameStop, but I can't remember for sure. I know the figures are going on sale, as well, and I think it was some kind of BOGO deal, but again, I'm not shopping for the game, so I didn't pay enough attention to the details.

I think it's fine and human to be disappointed that you can't have something you want.

I am just amazed by it. It is so far out from how we live that even the thought that DS would expect that he would receive something so extravagant is beyond my comprehension. Or even entertaining the idea of going through the hassle to secure it prior to a certain day of the year is just beyond me. But, I live a different lifestyle than the mainstream, but still it's just, wow. 

I am just amazed by it. It is so far out from how we live that even the thought that DS would expect that he would receive something so extravagant is beyond my comprehension. Or even entertaining the idea of going through the hassle to secure it prior to a certain day of the year is just beyond me. But, I live a different lifestyle than the mainstream, but still it's just, wow.

I guess it's all a matter of lifestyle and what works for each person's family. We go all-out on Christmas, so my ds's wishes and expectations are perfectly normal and expected for our family. We wouldn't consider a request for a game system to be at all extravagant.

And if I know my ds wants a particular item, I'm more than happy to go out of my way to try to find it for him. It's not a hassle -- it's fine with me, and I'm not sure why a mom wouldn't be willing to make a little extra effort to get a hard-to-find item for her child if she could afford it and knew it would make him happy. It really isn't a big deal to go to a store and pre-order something, or to scout around to locate it. I have fun finding and buying the things my ds wants, and I love watching him open his gifts and seeing him enjoy them. It truly isn't a chore for me, and I would do it even if I didn't love to shop.

In case you decide to buy Disney Infinity, I know I read that it will be going on sale for half price in a few stores on Black Friday.

I think it may have been Walmart and either Best Buy or GameStop, but I can't remember for sure. I know the figures are going on sale, as well, and I think it was some kind of BOGO deal, but again, I'm not shopping for the game, so I didn't pay enough attention to the details.

Thanks for the info! I'll be on the lookout, I'm always looking for a good deal :). But, I'm the mom that will buy stuff way in advance and hold onto it for birthdays, etc so I don't have to look last minute.

I appreciate the tip, I'll check out some stores for the Black Friday deals.

I guess it's all a matter of lifestyle and what works for each person's family. We go all-out on Christmas, so my ds's wishes and expectations are perfectly normal and expected for our family. We wouldn't consider a request for a game system to be at all extravagant.

And if I know my ds wants a particular item, I'm more than happy to go out of my way to try to find it for him. It's not a hassle -- it's fine with me, and I'm not sure why a mom wouldn't be willing to make a little extra effort to get a hard-to-find item for her child if she could afford it and knew it would make him happy. It really isn't a big deal to go to a store and pre-order something, or to scout around to locate it. I have fun finding and buying the things my ds wants, and I love watching him open his gifts and seeing him enjoy them. It truly isn't a chore for me, and I would do it even if I didn't love to shop.

I would love to do this as well... Now only if my finances would agree to it, which they don't.

<snip>

We don't go all-out at Christmas, and I generally don't like shopping, but I do like delighting my family and friends with gifts I know they will like.  Our kids don't have expectations that they will receive any particular thing, but they have desires and it is fun to fulfill those that I can.  To me, that is part of why we celebrate Christmas.  It is a celebration of giving.  

I am just amazed by it. It is so far out from how we live that even the thought that DS would expect that he would receive something so extravagant is beyond my comprehension. Or even entertaining the idea of going through the hassle to secure it prior to a certain day of the year is just beyond me. But, I live a different lifestyle than the mainstream, but still it's just, wow. 

Wishing that you COULD have something isn't the same as EXPECTING it, though. A child can be disappointed that they can't/won't ever have something, without ever feeling like they should get it. Wanting for things is good. Being disappointed  when you can't have something you want is good; it contributes to drive.

Wishing that you COULD have something isn't the same as EXPECTING it, though. A child can be disappointed that they can't/won't ever have something, without ever feeling like they should get it. Wanting for things is good. Being disappointed  when you can't have something you want is good; it contributes to drive.

If they are disappointed because they didn't get something they want, it was probably because they were expecting it and something in the family lifestyle and past holiday and birthdays that leads the child to have the expectations that it is a reasonable request. There wouldn't be any other reason to disappointed. I won't be disappointed Christmas morning when I do not open up a new car. I would like it, but it is not something I am expecting and I won't be disappointed for not getting it.

If they are disappointed because they didn't get something they want, it was probably because they were expecting it and something in the family lifestyle and past holiday and birthdays that leads the child to have the expectations that it is a reasonable request. There wouldn't be any other reason to disappointed. I won't be disappointed Christmas morning when I do not open up a new car. I would like it, but it is not something I am expecting and I won't be disappointed for not getting it.

I disagree. I might be disappointed if I can't have a piece of cake, but that isn't because I expected it - it's because, at that moment, I wanted it and for whatever reason can't have it. No big.

We do not own any gaming systems, and no plans to do so in the near future. The closest thing to screen/games for Christmas gifts is an Innotab by Vtech for youngest Ds. And that's only because there are educational games programmed into it. We do let them play games on DH's ipad, itouch, my laptop and Kindle. 

Of course they ask for ipods for Christmas, but they aren't going to get them. Middle Ds (age 8) is getting an expensive compound bow and oldest (age 10) is getting another American girl doll (they were at the top of their wish list).  

They are happy with non-electronic toys still and I'd like to keep it that way as long as possible. Even the neighbor kids come over almost everyday and play with our toys (Lincoln Logs, Legos, Playmobil, outdoor basketball hoop, etc).

No offence intended.  This is what my DS already has: Ipad, Ipad mini, Ipod Touch, Kindle Fire, PS Vita, PS3, Wii U, Xbox, 2 laptops, 3DS, regular DS, and mountains of games to go with all of these devices.  He's not missing out, and yes of course he does love this stuff - no denying that.  However, I have been reading about the damage these devices are causing to kids (even in moderation) and I want to limit his exposure, so this year am opting for outdoorsy toys and things that will encourage exercise.

For a 9 yo that would me more than enough in our family. But then we do not have any TV compatible gaming system and my kids didn't have even DS's until they were about 9 (and then they needed to make a presentation on how it would be of benefit not only to them, but to the family as a whole).

Just my perspective, but that is a lot of electronics for one kid. Especially one who is younger.

I understand wanting to delight your child with his gifts. But I also think that our role of parents includes setting boundaries.

You have many weeks before Christmas. It's not too late to ask him to prioritize. If he could only have one game for one system, what would he want? What other things or experiences would he like as a gift? Get his input on alternatives.

I'm so glad you posted this.  I have had a very similar experience.  DS has been banned for 1 week from all screens and it is amazing how his temperament has been so much more pleasant.  Prior to the ban, he would get frustrated and annoyed when I told him his time was up and he had to come off. Like yours, mine would also rush through school work to get to his Minecraft!

I have noticed that since the ban has been in place, he has been forced to do the things he had sort of abandoned.  He is playing outside more, has started writing a book, spends time with his pets, plays with his Lego technic and Mindstorms robot.

Now I only wish I could keep the ban in place, but I know that isn't going to happen...

Why not?

OK, I realize that you might not want a total screen ban to continue if that had been a consequence for something. But you do have authority to put restrictions and limitations on his activities.

I have noticed that when my kids know that something is limited, they make more careful choices. For example, if they have a specific budge for a souvenir on a trip, they watch carefully for what is worth that money. If they know they only get an hour of game time, they choose carefully what they want to play.

My kids would never ask because it's a long-standing boycott, we don't let them play games on electronics very often, and we limit screen time to 30 minutes a day.  So I'm not sure you could ever really get that much enjoyment out of a game if you are only allowed to play it for 30 minutes, which is what I keep tellingson.  We have found when we allow more screen time that means less active time and then he is HORRIBLE, whiny, impulsive, grabby, he needs to be outside running around most of the day.  Maybe that will change as he gets older, but for now he can barely handle the 30 minutes he gets.  We also only spend $100 on Christmas, which we split up during the year, so Christmas isn't a big deal for gifts. 

We do very little screens here (just our lifestyle), so I wouldn't call it a ban necessarily, but we won't be buying any electronics/games/etc. We have a laptop and one tv with a DVD player, plus DH and I have iPhones. That's more than enough! Eventually I could see a tablet to share. I don't foresee anything more than that, tho.

If they are disappointed because they didn't get something they want, it was probably because they were expecting it and something in the family lifestyle and past holiday and birthdays that leads the child to have the expectations that it is a reasonable request. There wouldn't be any other reason to disappointed. I won't be disappointed Christmas morning when I do not open up a new car. I would like it, but it is not something I am expecting and I won't be disappointed for not getting it.

I don't believe that at all. I know adults who are still disappointed that they didn't get a particular thing for Christmas when they were kids. "Reasonable request" doesn't have to factor into the equation.

If you really want something, you don't have to expect to get it in order to be disappointed that you didn't receive it. And let's face it, a child doesn't have the maturity of an adult, and he may be very sad and hurt that he really wanted a certain toy for Christmas and all of his friends got one and he didn't, or that all the other kids' moms took the time and made the effort to get them that special hard-to-find toy, but theirs couldn't be bothered to do it. How would that not be disappointing? :confused:

Personally, I think it's sad when a kid is so accustomed to knowing that he won't get what he wants that he just stops asking, and has lost hope to the point where he doesn't even feel disappointed any more. :( It's perfectly normal to feel disappointed when you really want something but can't have it, even if it's something you rationally know isn't possible for you to have. It's an emotional response, not necessarily a logical one.

<snip>

Personally, I think it's sad when a kid is so accustomed to knowing that he won't get what he wants that he just stops asking, and has lost hope to the point where he doesn't even feel disappointed any more. :( It's perfectly normal to feel disappointed when you really want something but can't have it, even if it's something you rationally know isn't possible for you to have. It's an emotional response, not necessarily a logical one.

The other day my daughter and I saw a Playmobil castle in a store. She had always wanted one of those, but we never got her one.  She knew it was not something we would buy her, and she was happy with the gifts she did get.  But she still acknowledges that she felt a tiny bit of disappointment that she never got it for either Christmas or birthday the years she wanted it.  Now, she is old enough to be saving for what she really wants if we're not able or don't want to buy something for her, but when she was young enough to want that castle, she didn't have money of her own.  (Or at least not the $100+ it would have taken to buy it.)  She doesn't seem to be harboring resentment about it; she never expected it; yet she can admit she was just a bit disappointed never to get it.

I suspect if she ever has a daughter who wants the Playmobil castle, she will get it! 

We keep screens to a minimum and hardly have any devices at all.  I like to avoid electronics for Christmas.

Rebecca:

Books about Nastia Liukin and Shawn Johnson

Sugar body scrub

Rainbow Loom

Sylvia:

Monster High Toralei doll

Saige's PJs

White clay

Stockings will have some B&BW goodies, sleep masks, a face brush for Rebecca, earrings, candies, devotionals, a drawing book for Sylvia, dance/gymnastics themed socks, etc.

I don't believe that at all. I know adults who are still disappointed that they didn't get a particular thing for Christmas when they were kids. "Reasonable request" doesn't have to factor into the equation.

If you really want something, you don't have to expect to get it in order to be disappointed that you didn't receive it. And let's face it, a child doesn't have the maturity of an adult, and he may be very sad and hurt that he really wanted a certain toy for Christmas and all of his friends got one and he didn't, or that all the other kids' moms took the time and made the effort to get them that special hard-to-find toy, but theirs couldn't be bothered to do it. How would that not be disappointing? :confused:

What about a child so used to getting what they want they cannot understand what is reasonable request or how to handle not having everything they want? I am going to be honest, I find the sheer number of game systems owned by a child a bit disturbing. Good lord, do they do aything else? Do they have a grasp of what they cost? Probably not.

I love love love gifts.  I love giving gifts, I love getting gifts, I love everything about it.  I love it all year round.  So I'm with you on this.

I think some people just don't have the same feeling about gifts, maybe.  For me, holidays and gifts are a BIG deal.  You want to make me feel awesome?  Gifts! Whether or not they are the type you unwrap is not the point (yesterday, DH arranging the babysitter, buying me cupcakes for my birthday, and taking me to Thor all count!) - I guess 'gifts' is my 'love language' or whatever you want to call it.  

Some people are different, I guess?  And maybe even so much as not seeing gifts as a big deal at all?

We don't go all-out at Christmas, and I generally don't like shopping, but I do like delighting my family and friends with gifts I know they will like.  Our kids don't have expectations that they will receive any particular thing, but they have desires and it is fun to fulfill those that I can.  To me, that is part of why we celebrate Christmas.  It is a celebration of giving.  

Agreed!  :D

Part of me wishes that I could light the kids faces up with awesome gifts every year.  I can't.  And the other part of me knows that's good, too!  :lol:  But in the end we've ended up with some pretty well balanced kids so far - they don't ever ask for super expensive stuff.  I do believe they have asked for red toy lightsabers, a toy bow and arrow (each), and Astro has asked for a toy ninja sword this year…. I don't remember what all is on Link's list, but it's nothing astronomical.  This year's gifts will be a complete SHOCK to them.  They'll be so excited - heck, I'M so excited, I can't wait!!!!  :D :D

I actually disagree with this, too.  

Some people (like me :D ) love to be surprised with stuff.  Whatever it may be.  I want a big deal made over me on my birthday, for example.  (By DH, in particular - I don't feel the whole world should stop for me, though)  When I was 16 I cried for an hour because I felt like no one had paid any attention to my birthday.  That sort of stuff is just a big deal to me.  It gives me validation or whatever - Idk.  DH has never really done anything to make me expect for him to make a big deal (NOT saying that in a bad way!!) and I never would ask him to do anything out of character, but I guess I'm a bit of a dreamer - there's always part of me that's like, 'wouldn't it be awesome, though, if ____ happened?'  And I mean totally outlandish stuff.  Wouldn't it be awesome if suddenly we came into a lot of money?  Wouldn't it be awesome if I ran into someone I knew when I was out of the country?  Wouldn't it be awesome to get to meet/talk to ____?  So there's always part of me that thinks, wouldn't it be awesome if DH surprised me this year by _____?  (insert anything here lol!)   And sometimes there is a little disappointment that, oh, another year went by and there were no big surprises.  There was nothing out of the ordinary - I had a great birthday and by all accounts I am totally pleased/happy with it, but there's still a little disappointment for some reason.

(FTR, my birthday was yesterday and DH surprised me -!!!!! - by taking off work and pretty much doing whatever I wanted all day.  Which is really big for him!  This year's birthday = no disappointment.  ;)  But there was no standard of expectation for it.  I certainly didn't expect, when I went to bed Thursday night, that he would wake up the next morning and decide to call into work, etc.)

That's just me.  everyone is different.  I'm thinking maybe gifts aren't as important to you, which is cool, too.  

(Seriously, I'm such a crazy person about gifts that I am just as impatient as the kids to open presents when my grandparents come to visit for Christmas - which is actually next week lol.  They all know it.  Some may think that's childish/immature, or selfish, or entitled of me, but I disagree.  It's not just about *me* getting gifts - it's about everyone getting them.)

We don't go all-out at Christmas, and I generally don't like shopping, but I do like delighting my family and friends with gifts I know they will like. Our kids don't have expectations that they will receive any particular thing, but they have desires and it is fun to fulfill those that I can. To me, that is part of why we celebrate Christmas. It is a celebration of giving.

I agree with all of this.

Christmas, for our family, is first Christ-focused with Advent prayers and songs, and preparing spiritually.

Gifts are second and with that being said, I love giving my family and friends what they'd love to receive, very much like you and Cat have written. They were guided when they were younger towards what we could afford and they understood that more and more as they got older.

You should be a personal shopper!

(((Hugs)))

What about a child so used to getting what they want they cannot understand what is reasonable request or how to handle not having everything they want? I am going to be honest, I find the sheer number of game systems owned by a child a bit disturbing. Good lord, do they do aything else? Do they have a grasp of what they cost? Probably not.

I was a bit shocked when I read one of the lists of "stuff" on this thread - don't remember if it was the OP or someone else.  But then I reminded myself that everyone has different priorities for their money.   And we all have different amounts of money to spend.  

We've been criticized for spending too much money on books.  :rofl:  

We have a ton of game systems, lol. Seriously - a ton.

My children do tons of things other than playing them - they build with blocks, they play outside, they read, they color... my 12 year old is, right now, creating some kind of art with her nail polish and index cards. I'm pretending not to notice but the smell is giving her away.

I have tons and tons and tons of books. <---- but sheer ownership of them doesn't mean I spend all day every day indulging in them.

In regard to all the gaming stuff some kids have, sometimes it comes through various sources too. I know my own son's things weren't just bought by my husband and I. His wii system was a family gift from my parents a few years ago (although none of us really play it but my son). His gameboy was a hand me down from his cousin several years ago. His nexus 7 was a recent gift from his sister (she saved up and bought an iphone for herself & gave her little brother the nexus :) ). And he also has two DSi's that he bought with his birthday money over the past two years (he wanted the second one to trade between games or something - I don't understand it). He also has a minecraft account that he saved up and paid for himself. And lastly he has a roblox account! He does chores to earn that $6 a month & he knows those things have to be done or I'll cancel it.

Geesh!!!! Do you see why we aren't buying gaming at all for Christmas! It's crazy up in here!!! lol

And as for doing other things, we limit his usage now. I'd love to say my son self regulates really well but he doesn't. We literally ban a lot of gaming Monday - Thursday. On those days we incorporate computer programming (python interpreter) and he can play on scratch too. He also like times attack for math. That is plenty! On Friday, Saturday, and Sunday he can have access to his other stuff, but we often hang out as a family then too so it is very balanced.

My son is an avid reader too & definitely loves Legos!! :)

But that's not what we were talking about. I absolutely agree with you that some kids are just plain obnoxious, ungrateful, and spoiled, with a big helping of self-entitlement thrown in. But just because a kid gets a lot of stuff doesn't mean that he is any of those things.

We have pretty much every game system that you could name, and unlike you, I don't find it a bit disturbing. I would be disturbed if my ds did nothing with his free time other than play video games, but that's simply not the case. And as far as having a grasp of what they cost, sure he knows. He paid for his own XBox 360 with a combination of gift money and saved allowance money. He buys some of his own games. But I freely admit that I pay for most of it, and I'm fine with doing it. I don't really see why it seems like such a big deal to you. Why is it a problem if a kid has lots of expensive things? My dh and I buy expensive things for ourselves, so why wouldn't we buy them for our son as well?

I was a bit shocked when I read one of the lists of "stuff" on this thread - don't remember if it was the OP or someone else.  But then I reminded myself that everyone has different priorities for their money.   And we all have different amounts of money to spend.  

Very true!

But I freely admit that I pay for most of it, and I'm fine with doing it. I don't really see why it seems like such a big deal to you. Why is it a problem if a kid has lots of expensive things? My dh and I buy expensive things for ourselves, so why wouldn't we buy them for our son as well?

I totally agree. It boils down to whether you have the money, and want to spend it.  If others perceive it as being frivolous, that's okay too.  We are generous and giving in our family, and we can be because we can afford it. 

So... I have decided to go with the PS4, the 2DS, a couple of games for each, and a Bose docking thingamadoodle for his Ipod so he can listen to his music - that gets the electronics out of the way.  The rest of the items will be for outdoor play, books etc. 

Balance is the key as some of you mentioned upthread.  Thanks - it has been an interesting thread and I have appreciated the different POV's.

Nope.

A PS4 and an XBox One will be under the tree for our ds this year, along with lots of games and accessories. There will also be games for the systems that he already has, as well as at least a few new computer games. There will be other stuff, too, but ds loves video games, so I wouldn't even think of boycotting the things he wants most.

I don't see any of it as a waste of money, nor do I view any of it as being junk. It would be a waste of money if he didn't use the stuff after I bought it, but he does, so I'm happy to buy it all for him.

Wow. I'm impressed. lol A PS4 AND an Xbox 1? That is one lucky boy. Not only that you're buying him both but that you were able to FIND both. They are quite the hot commodity from what I've read.