Menu

If you could read any book to a class of 3rd graders... UPDATE In Post #1

So I've offered to come in and help Squirrelboy's teacher once a week when Kittygirl is at preschool. So far she hasn't found much for me to do, but today she asked if, starting next Friday (this Friday is Fall Break) I'd be willing to read a book to the class for 20 minutes before lunch.She's given me free reign to choose the book.  I love reading aloud and I'm super excited about this.  I have some ideas on my own, but i thought I'd poll the Hive while I was at it. If you could read any book to a class or third graders, what book would you choose? 

Remember this is public school so it can't be overtly religious. Oh, and they're just finishing up listening to Charlotte's Web, so don't choose that :).

ETA:

Two weeks in, I'm loving this volunteer opportunity, and the kids are too. Several kids cheered when I walked into the classroom today, and they were on the edge of their seats while I read the chapter from RONIA THE ROBBER'S DAUGHTER. It just goes to show that the average kid today really can appreciate good books when they're presented well. The teacher is even using it to extend their vocabulary. They're going to add the word "chasm" (which they need to figure out how to spell) to their Word Wall :).

That's a hard one. My short list, because I couldn't choose just one:

The BFG 

Holes (I read this recently and DD LOVED it)

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz  (or Ozma of Oz if they've already heard the first one)

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon

Because of Winn-Dixie

Indian in the Cupboard.  I still remember my 1st grade teacher reading it to us, and I read it to my oldest two boys when they were very young.  At the time, I didn't think they remembered any of it, but several years later I got it as an audiobook to listen to on a road trip and they were very excited to hear it again.  All of the boys loved it, as well as my husband.

Bunnicula -- now, while you can get away with something spooky.

Molly's Pilgrim -- perfect before Thanksgiving.

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever -- the best thing I have ever heard another teacher do as a read aloud, back when I was a student teacher. This one is an annual event at my house.

Indian in the Cupboard.  I still remember my 1st grade teacher reading it to us, and I read it to my oldest two boys when they were very young.  At the time, I didn't think they remembered any of it, but several years later I got it as an audiobook to listen to on a road trip and they were very excited to hear it again.  All of the boys loved it, as well as my husband.

I am reading this aloud right now. I am mainly reading it to my son. My daughter said she would listen from upstairs. A few minutes into the chapter, she was on the stairs listening. By the end, I had both kids on my arms listening intently. We are enjoying it! So many good books and looks like a lot of good suggestions here.

Superfudge

Hank the Cowdog

Poetry by Shel Silverstein or Jack Prelutsky. 

Poetry is good for if there is less than 5 minutes to read, and you don't want to start a new chapter.  You could finish a chapter or page, and read 1 or 2 or 3 poems according to how much time you have left.

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon is an amazingly well done audio book - I'm sure it would be a good read aloud too, but the audio book is not to be missed, IMO.

My first thought was Where the Mountain Meets the Moon.  Alternately: Homer Price is funny, most kids enjoy Henry Huggins, Desperaux is amazingly good, The Wizard of Oz books are very fun and interesting (and you'd never run out of them if you wanted to keep going).

The Jungle Book or Peter Pan would be some classics to try - or some of the Rudyard Kipling Just So Stories to test the kids out for Jungle Book.

Have fun!

The Trumpet of the Swan

Dominic by William Steig

Brave Irene by William Steig (one sitting-it's a longer picture book about courage and persistence)

The Minpins by Roald Dahl, or almost anything of his: The Witches, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Matilda

The Family Under the Bridge

An Old Fashioned Thanksgiving by Louisa May Alcott

Bunnicula -- now, while you can get away with something spooky.

Molly's Pilgrim -- perfect before Thanksgiving.

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever -- the best thing I have ever heard another teacher do as a read aloud, back when I was a student teacher. This one is an annual event at my house.

I love these choices. My 4th grader last year loved anything Roald Dahl. Also the book How to Train Your Dragon is very cute and much better than that horrid movie.

Can you read shorter works--like picture books? Or does it have to be a chapter book? Maybe some nice picture books followed up with a poem or two (or 3) could be nice. That way you can cover a lot of different genres and stories, plus if anything happens and you're not able to come in for a week or two, the kids aren't left hanging...

I'd get a big book of fables and fairytales as a mainstay and then pick whatever tickled my fancy from the library for extra.

Wow, there are so many wonderful suggestions. I'm sure a volume of fairy tales or short stories would be fine, but I lean more toward a chapter book because I think the kids would enjoy a continuing story. Then again, if a kid doesn't like a fairy tale he can always hope he'll like the one the following week. I guess I'll see how the first chapter book goes over and then reevaluate.

Despite all the wonderful suggestions (which I'm recording for ideas to read to the class later or to Squirrelboy at night), I think I'm going to follow my passion and read something by Astrid LIndgren (in translation, of course, though I've read many of her books in the original Swedish). Ronia the Robber's Daughter is my favorite. It's not well known in America at all, but it's absolutely lovely. It has a strong female protagonist that the girls will cheer for along with a boy supporting character to keep the boys happy. It also has a few spooky fantasy elements appropriate to the season. Despite my many suggestions to do so, Squirrelboy has not yet chosen it for a read aloud, so it would be new to him too.

I'll update and let  you all know how it goes next week.

I am a huge fan of Ronia, the Robber's Daughter.   What kind of group is this? Public school?  Ronia is a child of nature, and even goes off to live in a cave with the boy for a time. I've read it several times, and it's superbly Lindgren, right down to the Ronia and the boy bathing naked together in the river (which might be an issue for some).  I just don't know your audience, or whether it would cause a fuss for you.

Lindgren's  Children of Noisy Village is a good read aloud as well.

ETA: I re-read your OP. It is a public school. I'd  flip through it again before you decide.

It is such a great book!

What about The Water Horse?

It's been awhile since I read Ronia, but I don't want a handful of potentially inappropriate lines to keep the kids from hearing a wonderful book. I'm used to editing on the fly on occasion when I read classics to Squirrelboy (although in that case it's often changing Britishisms to Americanisms so he understands), so I think I'll be fine. 

Desperaux was my first thought too. Having read all the suggestions, it would still be my first choice.

My kids also loved Ronald Dahl and Judy Blume (especially the Fudge books) in third grade. 

What a great volunteer job! I love reading aloud too and would love sharing great books with the class.

Okay, I looked through Ronia again and I have no doubt that it will be appropriate. The only thing I think I need to change is the name of "Hell's Gap." I think I'll just say "Big Gap." It's tempting to  use the Swedish name, but inevitably someone will ask me what "helvete" means and the cat will be out of the bag.

I do really like Despereaux, and it was most highly recommended by a longtime teacher friend of mine as well, so I'll probably do that one next if the chapter book format goes over well.

If this becomes a long standing thing you could read any of the Great Illustrated Classics. They take 90 minutes to read aloud... Ideally 3-4 weeks. They are abridged versions of many classics. Many classics that many children may never be exposed to.

I also like the idea of reading short stories. My reasoning for this is because some kids may forget what happens in each book each week.