Menu

other than just eating them on a bun, what else can I do with brat-like sausages?

ProudGrandma

Spray a muffin tin, cut the cooked meat up into little pieces and put them along with anything else you want (cheese, tomato, onion, etc) into each muffin tin. Beat 3-4 eggs (works with about 6 muffin cups) in a bowl - I add milk, salt/pepper to the egg mixture - then pour egg mixture over the stuff in each muffin cup. Bake at 350 until eggs are done. Nice breakfast item with toast!

Easy red beans and rice. Slice the sausages and saute with diced onions, bell pepper, celery. Add a can or two of red beans (not kidney beans), some chicken broth and 1 tsp thyme. Simmer. Use the back of a spoon to smash some of the beans so the soup thickens. Serve over rice.

Here is a recipe...don't judge, I make once a year or so...

Lazy Pierogi (I wanted to add it's lazy because it has the flavors of pierogi but less work compared to homemade pierogi, not just heating already made pierogi. Lazy pierogi looks nothing like real pierogi)

I lb. rotelle pasta

1lb. Bacon or smoked kielbasa chopped or diced

1 onion, chopped

1garlic clove, minced

1/2 lb mushrooms, sliced and chopped

27 oz. can sauerkraut, rinsed and drained

2 cans condensed cream of mushroom soup

Cook pasta til al dente.

Cook meat. If bacon, cook thoroughly and drain most of grease. If kielbasa, just heat and brown a bit.

Remove meat.

In the same pan, sauté onions, garlic and mushrooms until soft. If you used kielbasa, you might need to add oil so the veggies don't stick. If you used bacon, sauté in the bacon grease.

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Season with a bit of pepper. Spread in a 13x9 baking dish, cover with foil and heat at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.

I have rolled them in a flat spiral, stuck two skewers through in an x to secure before boiling in beer and grilling. I only had round buns. Under melted Swiss cheese and caramelized onions, would that fool your kids? ;)

You can take the meat out of the casing, add a little sage, cayenne if you like it hot, and shape it in patties or crumble it to cook as breakfast sausage. Add fennel for Italian sausage. Garlic, sage, cayenne for andouille, etc.

maybe this is a dumb question...but what is a perogie meal?

Perogies are, I guess, a kind of filled dumpling, made like a small turnover or pot sticker -- but the filling is mashed potatoes (with cheese, onion or bacon). They are sold frozen, and you boil them. Often they are served with lots of fried onions, bacon, and sour cream. Sometimes after you boil them you get them crispy-soft by frying them in the bacon fat. Other times you douse them in butter while they are still soft... just for the fun of it, I guess.

They are a supper food. (Being that they sound pretty breakfast-y written out like that.)

Anyhow, that meal is delicious, but, you can imagine, it's not slimming, eh? So I don't do the bacon (or the bacon fat) and serve them with bratwurst type sausage, because it kinda hits the same sort of flavour profile, but there's more meat protein (so you eat fewer perogies) and a lot less fat overall.

I think they are originally Ukrainian, but they are a mainstream food here (western prairie Canada). I've seen variant spellings, like, "Peirogy"