Menu

So, DD's 1st grade classmates told her she was "hot"...

umsami

She seemed rather proud of that, and then when I asked her is she knew what that meant, she said "really pretty."

I have to admit I'm a little disturbed by the language choice.  The thought of anybody finding my 6 year old "hot" is disturbing...even if they are peers.  Is it a generation gap?  Are the boys using the word without knowing its connotation regarding sexiness?

Am I just an over-reacting Mom? 

Ugh.

She's six.  She's not supposed to be hot or even want to be hot for quite awhile still (I hope).

I'm trying to withhold my impulse to say "we'll be homeschooling you as well starting Monday" as she needs the speech-therapy provided by the school.

I'm trying to withhold my impulse to say "we'll be homeschooling you as well starting Monday" as she needs the speech-therapy provided by the school.

A good friend of mine provides services such as speech therapy to home-school kids as well as those in the public schools.  Is that an option?

Behavior/language like what OP described is what helped me decide the first week of student teaching that no way, no how were my dc going to public school.  I was in the 2nd grade classroom.  Then I moved to the 6th grade.  It was appalling.  :(

:huh:  :ohmy:

As I learned from teaching and babysitting, what comes "out of the mouths of babes" can often open insight into their home environment. Older bro? dad? using this language around them to describe girls they see??? Most likely not the healthiest "respect for women" conversations going on.

I often knew far more personal info about families/parents then I wished to know. There is a thing as TMI.

I would be looking into speech therapy while homeschooling. Here in CA we can. If you post your state maybe someone here can help.

It would disturb me, too—but I don't think I'd necessarily be right to be disturbed. Words really do shift in their meanings.

When I was in high school, we referred to good-looking guys as "studs." My mother warned us that our grandparents, who had raised cattle, would probably not appreciate hearing that word being used to describe young men of our acquaintance. I was rather shocked, and I'm not sure I used the word after that....

I could totally see my kids doing something like that.  Here's a probably example.  I walk by dh and he makes some offhanded comment about me being hot intending it for my ears most likely.  But a kid is out of bed on the stairs or within ear shot and we're not aware.  That same kid goes to some function with other kids (not school here, obviously, since we hs), and sees another child and calls that child "hot" thinking it means pretty or nice or whatever.  Totally innocent.  Totally heard within the appropriate context (NOT on TV).

kids are exposed to language on subjects they don't understand.  (and this age shouldn't understand.) whether it be tv, movies or conversations of older teens or adults.  

I recall about clothes shopping with then teen 1ds when he liked "attitude t's".    He chose one he thought was funny.  I asked him if he knew what it meant.  (he thought he did.  he didn't.)   I told him - he blushed and put it back on the rack .

It is just proof that parents let their children watch things on television these days that aren't meant for young children.

It is?  The child couldn't have heard it from older siblings or cousins or just out and about?  Yesterday, at the county fair, a woman walking by us announced very loudly "That's some big ass chicken!" twice to her family (I'm assuming reacting to a picture on a photo booth, heh).  So, if my daughter repeats that without me around then it is proof I allowed her to watch something for teens/adults on TV?

"Hot" is a word children commonly hear, and not just necessarily from kids in public school.  They hear it on TV, playing Apples-to-Apples at cub scouts, and even at church.  We were attending Church 1, and the minister started talking from the pulpit about posting a picture of himself in his ministerial robe on the website am-I-hot-or-not.com  to see what type of responses he would get.  This was said by a new, young minister at an extremely, traditional, conservative church.  (We no longer attend there).  Church 2--I heard two different youth ministers talking to teenagers and make comments of "My lovely wife is a praying, Godly woman, but more important--she is REALLY HOT!"  I didn't know if I was more upset for my teenage daughter to hear women being talked about like or for my son to hear men talking about women like that.  (We don't go to church there anymore, either.)  

I think it is used inappropriately around children, but unfortunately it is not unusual.  (and I have found the use of the word sexy to be almost as common).  

Obviously, there are children that have been abused and exposed to sexual situations that may act out at that age, but the vast majority of 6 year olds are simply repeating words they've heard older siblings and friends say or that they've heard on TV. Adults hear words through their own *adult* experience and then the word seems sexual.

I vote overreacting.

I agree that in primary school, "hot" means attractive.  I do not like the term, but I would not worry about it.

It bugged me more when my 6yo came home and said Justin Bieber was "cute."  Ughhhhh this is a very old pet peeve of mine (from when I was in elementary school!).  Men and teens are not "cute." Babies and toddlers are "cute."  Puppies and bear cubs are "cute."  :P  Rant over.  ;)

Sadly, I have heard of young elementary kids having oral sex in classrooms (heard on the news), so I don't think it's too surprisingly some kids might know what Hot means.

Yes, you heard it on the news because it is SO VERY VERY RARE.  I'm pretty sure it's not something the OP needs to worry about.  Goodness.

Yes, you heard it on the news because it is SO VERY VERY RARE.  I'm pretty sure it's not something the OP needs to worry about.  Goodness.

I wasn't saying it was something the OP was to worry about. I was saying that based on THAT, I really am not surprised that kids at age 6 know what hot means. I mean my husband, at age 6, learned A LOT of bad stuff on the bus. My kids haven't been exposed to that at all. I'm just saying that kids are exposed to stuff.

So I actually have a similar story. 

Link and Astro play with the neighbor kids.  One of the neighbor boys has a crush on the (older by a couple of years) girl across the street.  At some point in time, the neighbor boys heard the word 'sexy' and he began using it to describe the girl.

Did he know what it meant?  Idk.  I kind of doubt it. 

So one day I walk outside to find, written in chalk on the carport, '(Neighbor boy) thinks (girl) is sexy'.  I could tell Link had written it.  I didn't say anything about it, but texted DH (I was leaving the house and he was at home with the kids, anyway) and just told him he might want to just tell Link it isn't as nice as saying she's pretty or whatever. 

I didn't think it was a big deal, though.  It's just part of what kids come across in life - they have to hear/learn these things at some point. 

While I do understand, OP, that you would kind of be like :blink: 'Hot?' I don't think it's anything for you to worry about.  Most likely, they all think it means pretty or that it's a nice compliment.  :)

Oh, and DH says I'm hot a fair amount of times in a day.  So apparently our kids are going to be scarred for life!!  :lol: