Menu

Would you eat chicken imported from China?

Twigs

Noooooo. I don't eat any food imported from China.  I am sure some of it is safe, but there have been too many instances of unsafe food that I just don't want to risk it, especially when there are so many local alternatives to be found.

California beef can be just as scary.  Besides chicken nuggets and burgers are hard to avoid when outside unless you (general) are vegetarian. 

"Federal inspectors have temporarily shut down a California meat company that provided beef for the popular In-N-Out Burger chain and the U.S. school lunch program, saying there was evidence of "egregious, inhumane handling and treatment of livestock."  (Aug 21, 2012, ABCnews, video on link shows cows being abused)

There was an article in Mercury News that said the flour for breads sold at supermarkets come from China.  I can't find that article but found the NYTimes article on the same issue

"What trade commission figures show is that ingredients are streaming in from more than 100 countries, including China, India, the Philippines and countries in sub-Saharan Africa. In some cases, consumer demand for more ethnic foods in the United States is pushing companies to import harder-to-find foods from exotic locales, but in other cases the phenomenon is simply a function of the way modern processed foods are assembled. The imported ingredients include caseins and caseinates (enzymes found in milk that are used as milk protein substitutes for pizza cheeses) and gums and resins that are used as binders to, for example, give chicken nuggets a certain consistency."(link)

Found the graphic link.  It is very interesting. 

http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2007/06/15/business/20070616_FOOD_GRAPHIC.html

NO!

So how would I know if the chicken I buy comes from China. Will the Chinese imports only be highly processed, like pre-made chicken nuggets. Or does 'processing' include cut up chicken parts, like chicken breasts, etc. 

I am picturing boatloads of frozen, slaughtered chickens on their way to China -- not a pretty picture!

California beef can be just as scary.  Besides chicken nuggets and burgers are hard to avoid when outside unless you (general) are vegetarian. 

Really? We are not vegetarian, and my kids have never had to eat nuggets. They do eat burgers, but not generally from fast food places. When we have had to stop at McDonalds, my kids ate salad, fries, fruit or yogurt. No, it isn't a healthy or filling meal, but in my opinion it beats the alternative choices.

I bought chicken from the butcher at the local grocery store (not street market.) Let me tell you, it takes two chickens to compare to our fattened plumped up birds here in the U.S.. Chickens are scrawny over there, at least where we lived.

The butchers would laugh and laugh at me while I played charades trying to get them to cut the heads and feet off of the birds before wrapping them up.