Menu

Quick! Baby with sore bum

Moxie

We loved Desitin. If you use the creamy, it's easier to go on. My son used to get rashes that would flair up suddenly and go away just as suddenly, but his whole bottom would be on fire, and it was a nasty raised rash. The Desitin helped a lot. We used to get a numbing spray that we would put on, and then put on the cream because it hurt him so bad to have someone touch him. The Desitin has zinc oxide and aloe, and it does sting for just a minute (it's the aloe) before soothing REALLY well.

Magic Butt Cream----our doctor made this up and our local pharmacy stocked it

It is

1/3 Desitin

1/3 Mayloxx

1/3Athlete's foot/yeast infection cream

Mix all together and apply liberally.

Hits the yeast, cuts the acid in the urine/stools and destin is soothing.

Magic Butt Cream----our doctor made this up and our local pharmacy stocked it

It is

1/3 Desitin

1/3 Mayloxx

1/3Athlete's foot/yeast infection cream

Mix all together and apply liberally.

Hits the yeast, cuts the acid in the urine/stools and destin is soothing.

Our pediatrician used the same formula, but didn't have a pharmacy that stocked it. I can still remember mixing it up. Thanks for bringing back an almost lost memory! :)

Keep her diaper off as much as possible, too.

Ds6 had a really raw bottom from diarrhea for a few days when he was a baby.  I put a pair of his brother's padded underpants on him.  They were very loose.  They let air circulate but somewhat contained the mess.  I was able to use just that during the day, and it seemed to help.

Plain mylanta- dab it on and let it dry and then put a thick layer of aquaphor over it. Use the mylanta a couple of times a day.

When I worked in a nursing home, we used a mixture of equal parts Mylanta and cold cream for bed sores.  It worked wonders, and I carried that same idea over to diaper rash.  The Mylanta helps neutralize the acid from urine, and the cold cream soothed the sore.

Our standard go-to is: warm bath with baking soda & SEA salt in the water {it won't sting, but there is something about the sea salt that knocks back thrush / yeast, and the baking soda stops any itching / burning}, followed up by liberal application of the desitin CLEAR - not the regular stuff. DD was allergic to the regular stuff, so I dunno if it would work as well or not.

And ditto to lots of bare time - sunlight helps too. I used to lay dd on a blanket in the sunny window {it faced the back yard} and let the sun work for 20 minutes or so after her bath.