Menu

First time visitor to Texas

gingersmom

We are thinking of visiting Texas in March. We have never been and have no clue where to even begin. 

What are the best cities to visit? Is there anything special going on in March?

We like to visit cities and feel like a local (we love to check out restaurants). Museums/sites to visit are also good. 

Thanks!

Where are you coming from? Are you driving or flying?

Dallas/Ft. Worth in the north central (they are right next to each other); Austin in the middle; San Antonio further south. All are on the I-35 north-south corridor; DFW and San Antonio are also on east-west interstate corridors.

First, Get your Texas Travel Guide. It's free!

If you are a member of AAA, Get the Texas tour book. Also free (if you are a member).

Decide on an area you want to visit. Texas is too big to do everything in 1 trip unless you are spending months!

Are you interested in 

• nature places - There's Palo Duro Canyon near Amarillo. Several caves, including Wonder Cave (a dry cave located along the Balcones Fault, in San Marcus). Rivers, lakes, shore, …

• museums - Kimball in Fort Worth, …

• small cities - Kerrville,  … - you can request information to be mailed to you from many cities, again at no charge.

• large cities - San Antonio is lots of fun and things to do

• history

• ?

Is there much to do/see in Amarillo that wouldn't cost a fortune?  We are thinking of a trip that will include at least that part of TX.  17dd was born there and wants to see it again.  None of the rest of us have ever been there (she was adopted through foster care at 7 months after bios moved to Michigan).  My girls love horses.

You can do a trail ride in the Palo Duro Canyon, see the museum in Canyon (the town), and see the Texas play at night in the canyon.  The play might be a bit pricey, but it's quite good.

ETA: this was in response to Ottakee's question.  She didn't specify what time of year.  Ottakee, in winter, it can be really, really cold in Amarillo, due to the altitude.  The average temp graphs can be very deceiving.  I like the last graph on this page, which I think is more representative of typical Amarillo weather:

http://weatherspark.com/averages/29622/Amarillo-Texas-United-States

Texas is a very BIG state and  I assume you have limited time and limited financial resources.  I lived in North Central Texas (Dallas/Ft. Worth area) for 28 years. Lots to see and do there. However, I suspect you would enjoy seeing the State Capitol and the University of Texas, in Austin; and then about 90 minutes South of there, spending a few days in San Antonio, to see the Alamo, the River, and other sites.  Many years ago, in the San Antonio Zoo, I rode an Elephant (I wouldn't want to go far on one of those ...)

If you are interested in Science and Space, Houston is the home of NASAs Johnson Space Center. My wife and I are huge NASA fans, so that is a place we would love to visit.

In the "Hill Country", near Austin and San Antonio, are smaller cities and towns that you might find interesting. There is a town, I think New  Braunfels, I believe just North of San Antonio, with German heritage, and there are  probably more towns like that in the Hill Country.

Galveston, South of Houston, has historic sights, but as a prior post mentioned, if you are in Texas during Spring Break, you will  probably not want to be on a very crowded beach.

In the far West, there is Big Bend National Park.  There is also a place with caverns, in the San Antonio/Austin area, and as I write this, I can't recall the name.

If you can, go to  a Rodeo, someone mentioned that the Houston one might be on at that time. Oh, in Houston, the Astrodome...

Do requet the free literature from the state, so you can read up on what's available and then narrow your choices down to fit the time (and money)  you have available.

Don't Mess With Texas and have a great time in the Lone  Star State!

Is there much to do/see in Amarillo that wouldn't cost a fortune?  We are thinking of a trip that will include at least that part of TX.  17dd was born there and wants to see it again.  None of the rest of us have ever been there (she was adopted through foster care at 7 months after bios moved to Michigan).  My girls love horses.

It can be very cold there during the Winter. What time of the year are you thinking about going there?

Click on the link at the top of this web page and request Tourist information:

http://www.visitamarillotx.com/index.cfm

Go horseback riding!  Try to visit a working ranch, if you can find one that allows visitors.

American Quarterhorse museum

Palo Duro Canyon State Park, South of Amarillo.

Lubbock, South of Amarillo, is the home of Texas Tech University (TTU) which has the 2nd largest land area of any university in the USA. It is the only university in the USA that grants a Ph.D. in Wind Engineering, is known for Russian language, etc. TTU is the only university in Texas with a Medical school and a Law school, on the same campus.

Some links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amarillo,_Texas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_Ranch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Texan_Steak_Ranch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantex

(I included the Pantex plant, but I doubt they have tours there...  Texas Tech University (TTU)  is in charge of a project, to produce 60% of the electricity the plant uses, with wind power

How cold does Amarillo get in the winter?  We dont' know when we would go but honestly we would rather have it in the 50s than in the 90s :-)

I would suggest that you go during the Spring or the Fall, if possible. The only thing I hate more than HOT weather is COLD weather.  It is very rare, but Amarillo can get a LOT of snow during the Winter. I had an Uncle who was 10 years old than I am. I remember that when he was in the Air Force, one of the bases he was stationed at was in Amarillo. He sent a photo of his car, buried in snow... Again, Spring or Fall, if possible, because Texas is hot during the Summers.   I had a friend who grew up in Amarillo.  Enjoy your trip to Texas!

Is there much to do/see in Amarillo that wouldn't cost a fortune? We are thinking of a trip that will include at least that part of TX. 17dd was born there and wants to see it again. None of the rest of us have ever been there (she was adopted through foster care at 7 months after bios moved to Michigan). My girls love horses.

That's where I grew up. To do's:

First, I recommend staying in Canyon. They have a Holiday Inn that's nice.

In Amarillo:

Quarter Horse Museum

Big Texan Steak Ranch (touristy fun restaurant)

Cadillac Ranch (worth a stop even if just passing thru)

Don Harrington Discovery Center (esp. If you have little ones along)

In Canyon:

Panhandle Plains Historical Museum

Good restaurant: Pepito's

Near/outside both:

Palo Duro Canyon

Check out their chuck wagon breakfast tour. Or just go hike and ride the train down in the canyon.

I was on my phone earlier and couldn't type much.  Coming back to add more.  Don't try to do more than one city/area on your trip.  Texas is HUGE.  Personally, I think Austin/San Antonio (which are close enough to do in one trip) is the best bet for a first visit to Texas. See the state capital, the University of Texas campus, the LBJ presidential library, the Wildflower Center, etc in Austin, take a hike in the hill country, go the Alamo and the Riverwalk in San Antonio, and Sea World if you like, eat at a WIDE variety of fabulous restaurants in both places.  Like a previous poster said, if you like live music, SXSW in Austin would be fun.  Really, central Texas in the spring is LOVELY.   Highly recommend.

If you aren't into that, I'd recommend Dallas/Ft Worth as a 2nd choice.  Lots to do in both of those places as well, and they're really one big metropolitan area (much closer together than even Austin and San Antonio).  

I'd skip Houston. Sure, the rodeo is fun, but Houston just doesn't have as much to offer as the other two areas, IMO.  

Houston people, don't flame me! I've lived in all three places!!  Houston as wonderful people, and a few good museums, but just doesn't hold a candle to the *experience* of central Texas for tourists, IMO. 

Craftyrein--Unless your kid is space crazy. Then the Space Center in Houston is a must-see.

Ahh, I truly did forget about Space Center Houston. I guess if you had spaced-crazed kids it might be worth it, but Houston still would be a distant 3rd of favorite city/areas in Texas.  We're probably moving back there in a few years, but I'm not thrilled.  :glare:

• 1 year later...

This is a really old thread but we are considering a trip to Amarillo for my daughters' graduation trip.  One was born there and the rest of us have never been.  

Would late September/Early October be decent weather?  We would be fine with mid 50s to mid 70s but we don't like super hot and humid and she wants to avoid major thunderstorms and tornadoes.  We are more of a hoodie than shorts type people.

The Palo Duro canyon seems right up our alley---horse back riding, hiking trails, natural beauty, low cost, etc.

Any other great things to see/do in the Amarillo area?  Again, we are more jeans and hoodie type people than dress up so casual places to eat with GOOD local type food, etc.

This is a really old thread but we are considering a trip to Amarillo for my daughters' graduation trip.  One was born there and the rest of us have never been.  

Would late September/Early October be decent weather?  We would be fine with mid 50s to mid 70s but we don't like super hot and humid and she wants to avoid major thunderstorms and tornadoes.  We are more of a hoodie than shorts type people.

The Palo Duro canyon seems right up our alley---horse back riding, hiking trails, natural beauty, low cost, etc.

Any other great things to see/do in the Amarillo area?  Again, we are more jeans and hoodie type people than dress up so casual places to eat with GOOD local type food, etc.

As Ravin mentioned in 2013 the WX is random.  I mean really random.  Late Sept/early Oct might be wonderful wx.  Then again, it might not.  Even in the south of Texas the wx can be incredibly random.  In the winter in the south it could be 40's one day and 90's the next.  North Texas can be just as weird from one year to the next if not necessarily from one day to the next.  Would it be possible to do the preliminary planning and if the wx turns out to be unacceptable maybe reschedule for some other time?

Great things to do?   No, not really.    I lived there for a couple of years and I'm at a loss to think of anything beside Palo Duro Canyon.    When we wanted to

do something we'd head west to New Mexico and the mountains.

I will say you need to take time to enjoy the sunsets/sunrises and the starry nights.  I have never lived anywhere with such unobstructed views of the sky.   

That's what I miss the most.  

You don't have worry about humid.   It's usually windy and dry.  

Tornado season is in the spring.

Just an aside--Palo Duro has a nice "drama" that plays in the summer--IDK if it plays at that time of year, but we enjoyed it. (This was quite a few years ago, so IDK if it even still exists.) It really is a lovely canyon. They call it something like The Texas Grand Canyon. (LOL--it's way smaller, but still cool.)

We are now looking at September or October.  Which is a better bet weather wise?  Are crowds, etc. an issue? 

We are looking at flying into Albuquerque and driving to Amarillo for 1-2 days.  My daughter wants to see NW Texas hospital where she was born and we will do the canyon and then anything else there might be to see/do.

Definitely Austin/Hill Country/San Antonio/New Braunfels. Lots to do and see there!

If you are an outdoorsy type family, this is what I would do, though I don't know about Schlitterbahn (sp) in March.  Is it too cool?  San Antonio is just such an interesting and unique city with the riverwalk.

If you are indoorsy type folks who want a bit of local color and flavor in addition to some culture, the DFW area is great.  Fort Worth has the stockyards, and some cowboys drive longhorns through that area twice daily.  Both Dallas and Fort Worth have museums galore.  The Fort Worth zoo is very good, and Fort Worth has the Botanical Gardens and the Japanese Gardens.  It also has me.  :)

ETA: I see that this is an old thread!

Dallas also has the new Perot Museum (yes, THAT Perot) which is fantastic. One of the only museums I bought a membership too and have enjoyed every visit there. Lots of science, lots of hands on things for little and big kids.

Yes, the Perot really is a fantastic museum.  (Although the fracking/ drilling exhibit kinda makes me roll my eyes due to the lack of any mention of how much fresh water is used in the process, lol.) It's also one of the few such places that actually has a decent menu at it's restaurant, including organic options.

Love both the Dallas and Ft. Worth Zoos.  Also, there are multiple water parks in this area.  Don't know much about Amarillo though, except my coworker, who graduated from Texas A&M, flatly refuses to go near that area or "those people" in Lubbock, LOL.  :lol:

I'd skip Houston. Sure, the rodeo is fun, but Houston just doesn't have as much to offer as the other two areas, IMO.  

Houston people, don't flame me! I've lived in all three places!!  Houston as wonderful people, and a few good museums, but just doesn't hold a candle to the *experience* of central Texas for tourists, IMO. 

NASA?

The San jacinto Monument

The Battleship Texas

A ton of Museums, including the Museum of Natural Science

An ice skating rink at Galleria

Astrodome

Skip Dallas. Most boring place I ever have been stuck living. The terrain is indisputably ugly, too.

Hill Country, without fail! Plus San Antonio. Much to see and do. If you like water parks, the Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels (between San Antonio and Austin) is excellent.

Houston is ok (is where I grew up), but the weather is even worse than that of Dallas area.

Austin was destroyed by uncontrolled growth and trendiness. I miss the "old" place.

Austin was destroyed by uncontrolled growth and trendiness. I miss the "old" place.

:D Our family moved to Austin in 1975. My Mom says that even then people were complaining bitterly about how Austin was being overbuilt and overrun by out-of-towners, and how the "old" Austin had been ruined.

Ah, Armadillo World Headquarters, where art thou?

:D Our family moved to Austin in 1975. My Mom says that even then people were complaining bitterly about how Austin was being overbuilt and overrun by out-of-towners, and how the "old" Austin had been ruined.

Ah, Armadillo World Headquarters, where art thou?

I lived there only from 1977-1985; however, I had been visiting there since 1956 because my godmother was a long-time resident.

I sorely miss Armen's Restaurant. At least Mother's still is in business!

1956! That beats me by quite a bit!

You know Mother's burned down; but they rebuilt, thank goodness.

Born in 1955. Somebody had to do it.

DH and I stop at Mother's for a meal every time we go down to see my brother in New Braunfels. We knew about the fire, and were glad that they could recover and rebuild. When we eat there, there always are some "old birds" such as are we. On a similar note, when the Whole Foods markets up here in DFW were celebrating their thirty-year anniversary, I enjoyed the stares from youngling cashiers upon hearing that I was a regular at their first store in Austin. My husband still remembers his first visit to that one with me. He never had seen a Sikh man with turban and knife, or a mother nursing in public.