Menu

Br*s in hard to find sizes---where do you get them?

Ottakee

I took my girls "book shelf" shopping today and had them professionally fitted at a special store.

Well, one girl is a 30D (32C might work as well) and the other is a 32 DDD (or E/F depending on how they size).  These are both sizes that regular stores don't carry.  I bought them each a new br*a but they were $$$$.  I came home and looked online to see if I could find the same ones cheaper but couldn't find them any less than what we paid.

I need to find a GOOD sports bra or 2 for each of them.  The lady suggested Pure Lime brand and those run $60 or so.  They could also each use 1-2 more regular every day bras.

Where would you look for good quality br*as in these sizes?  We want FULL coverage, basic ones that are comfortable.

I am willing to order online, esp. if it would save me some money.

I joked with a friend that they are wearing $75 br*as and 50 cent jeans but honestly that is the truth right now.

Im a 34 F while nursing, a 34 DD when I'm not.  Small ribcage, large books is an awful combination to find a bra in :(  Honestly in my experience?  Order online, pay 40-70 bucks a bra, and then hand wash those suckers like they are made of gold (they might be cheaper if they were...).  I keep a sports bra and two normal bras and they last me years if I hand wash.  

My daughter is 5' tall and wears a 32 DD. We have found success with Wacoal and Soma bras. She turns 18 next week and for her birthday she wants a breast reduction. She has scoliosis and her orthopedist has referred her to a surgeon to have it done. He said it's just way too much weight on her small frame, and reducing the breasts will help with the back and neck pain.

One of my girls is 4'10 and the other 5' so both short and tiny rib cages.   Thankfully they don't have any back/neck pain at this point.  One dd just had a 3.5cm fibroadenoma removed from one breast 3 weeks ago.

Wacoal is the brand one of them got.  I have a bid on 2 on ebay but otherwise they are the same price as this local store and then I would like to give a local store my money.

Soma......... and Nordstroms when on sale. Local shop too.

I have gotten hard to find sizes for both myself and dd at Nordstrom Rack, the Nordstrom outlet store. I have to check periodically because the selection is hit or miss.

Sorry to say, but once over D, things get pricey. There are online site with some discounts or free shipping. Ultimately, the best luck I've had is with a local bra shop. Many good bras come from Europe, but their sizing is slightly different. At the shop, I can try on different styles and brands. Online, I would have to order multiple sizes and brand and then deal with return shipping for unwanted items.

Title Nine. And I have never found that a 30D is remotely the same as a 32C, unless one is fond of wearing the band around the actual breasts and the cups on your shoulders. If you're a 30 and the band is a 32, it's the wrong size, regardless of the cups. (Allowing, of course, for wonky sizing that happens in women's clothing sometimes, even when it's based on measurements.)

I took my girls "book shelf" shopping today and had them professionally fitted at a special store.

Well, one girl is a 30D (32C might work as well) and the other is a 32 DDD (or E/F depending on how they size).  These are both sizes that regular stores don't carry.  I bought them each a new br*a but they were $$$$.  I came home and looked online to see if I could find the same ones cheaper but couldn't find them any less than what we paid.

I need to find a GOOD sports bra or 2 for each of them.  The lady suggested Pure Lime brand and those run $60 or so.  They could also each use 1-2 more regular every day bras.

Where would you look for good quality br*as in these sizes?  We want FULL coverage, basic ones that are comfortable.

I am willing to order online, esp. if it would save me some money.

I joked with a friend that they are wearing $75 br*as and 50 cent jeans but honestly that is the truth right now.

Oh my gosh- same here!  Except she hasn't quite gotten comfortable with the idea of a professional fitter yet, so we're "only" paying $40 for "Mostly fits well enough I'm sick of trying these on can we go home now?" br@s.

Oh well...  at least I have one who seems like she will forever be able to shop for br@s in the little girls department...  clearance, $1.00!  So they balance each other out price-wise, I guess. :coolgleamA:

I order online at fredericks of hollywood. They are the best I have found. I can make them last a good 5 years. I am a 34DDD(F) and there are plenty of choices! I am able to use a normal sports bra. I'd just go to academy sports or another specialty sports store and try on several. 

Try finding I cups. Then try finding them without underwire. Not easy.

My youngest was stuck with Petticoat Fair until her rib cage grew enough that she could wear a 32 band. Now she can get bras at Victoria's Secret. They carry 32DD and 32DDD.

Petticoat Fair has plenty of larger cup bras with a 30 inch band.

http://www.petticoatfair.com/shop/home.php?cat=263

http://www.petticoatfair.com/shop/product.php?productid=19632&cat=264&page=2

http://www.petticoatfair.com/shop/product.php?productid=17702&cat=264&page=2

http://www.petticoatfair.com/shop/product.php?productid=19364&cat=264&page=3

http://www.petticoatfair.com/shop/product.php?productid=17850&cat=264&page=3

I have wondered about the new volumetric bras from Jockey.

http://www.jockey.com/jockeybra

Fig Leaves carries European brands. I am wearing nursing bras at the moment (32F). I really should be wearing a 30, but they just don't seem to exist in nursing bras. My 13yo has an even smaller rib cage. I ordered her bras on eBay from Hong Kong. She's wearing a 28C, but she should really be wearing a 26D.

I will be checking out the options listed here! Any band size smaller than 34 is so hard.

In the slightly larger town near us there is a specialty lingerie store that sells the sizes you are needing. They have a large selection.  The only caveat is they sell stripper attire and adult toys as well. They do have plain ordinary traditional bra styles as well.

This is not a chain store, it is a "mom and pop" shop. I mention it because if you have a similar lingerie store near you it might also carry the bra sizes/styles you want or know where you can find them in your area.

Title Nine. And I have never found that a 30D is remotely the same as a 32C, unless one is fond of wearing the band around the actual breasts and the cups on your shoulders. If you're a 30 and the band is a 32, it's the wrong size, regardless of the cups. (Allowing, of course, for wonky sizing that happens in women's clothing sometimes, even when it's based on measurements.)

I disagree because I find it is the cups that are hardest to fit correctly.  The band can be extended or shortened  (although I do agree you can't just wear a larger band size "as is"! ).   I have also found that the common statement that one can go up a band size and down a cup size and get "the same size cup" is wrong - the cups are close but not the same (usually I find that going up a band size gives me cups that extend in my armpit even though they may mostly "fit" otherwise)

ETA: I don't disagree about Title Nine though - great place to buy large size bras!

I just wanted to clarify my own advice LOL! - the first truly well fitting bra I have ever found (and I have been "professionally fitted" multiple times), I found myself by using the basic advice "up a band size, down a cup size" and it's opposite and using the actual fitting of the cups  (too far into armpits, doesn't quite touch in chest area )  to "guess" if there might a better size  to try.   The "perfect" one was a 34 G.  It is the first cup to actually fit my bOOks from ribs to chest -  didn't stick into my armpits and lay flat on my chest between the bOOks.  I, however, am NOT a 34 but a 36 -- so I bought a bra extender and wore my perfectly fitting bra happily.   They put multiple sets of clasps just so you can adjust the band size - I just adjusted it more than they expected :tongue_smilie:  

So now I don't worry about the band size so much but focus on trying to find a well fitting cup (still a struggle sadly).

If you're on a budget, I'd find the nearest common size and alter it. My 11 yr old is around a size 28C (possibly bigger?), though I've never technically seen this size. I have found a 32B and altered the bra band. Importantly, if you do it, the bit between the cups needs to be brought closer together too. I am not much of a sewing expert... It was totally easy.

Her room dot com is a good place to hunt for book shelves.

Linda the bra lady dot com too.

Cake Lingerie carry not only smaller and larger sizes they also carry beautiful bras! Super important when you are young, but a MUST when you are post-partum.

I have NEVER been able to use the up a band down a cup or the other way either. Whoever came up with that never had to try to shove an I/J cup into a H cup. Does not work. Finding a nursing bra for those books is harder than finding a normal bra! Goodness! Bravado has some great ones too. bravissimo sells some great ones too.

I was wearing a professionally fitted 34 H. Baby number 1 came and I was in a 36 K/L. Now after baby number 2 I am in a 36 J/K. In between the girls, 4 years, I was put into a 38 H. Never was I more miserable. Learned this summer, H cup was the largest that store carried.

Make sure they are fitting your size, not the sizes they carry. Most makers go up in letter sizes F, G, H, and so on instead of DD, DDD, DDDD.

FWIW, the underwire in the center will NEVER lay on my chest bone. The girls like to touch. They are nearly never apart, lol!

Her room dot com has the most comprehensive questionnaire survey regarding shape, size and rotation I have ever seen. Very insightful.

Happy hunting!

I just wanted to clarify my own advice LOL! - the first truly well fitting bra I have ever found (and I have been "professionally fitted" multiple times), I found myself by using the basic advice "up a band size, down a cup size" and it's opposite and using the actual fitting of the cups  (too far into armpits, doesn't quite touch in chest area )  to "guess" if there might a better size  to try.   The "perfect" one was a 34 G.  It is the first cup to actually fit my bOOks from ribs to chest -  didn't stick into my armpits and lay flat on my chest between the bOOks.  I, however, am NOT a 34 but a 36 -- so I bought a bra extender and wore my perfectly fitting bra happily.   They put multiple sets of clasps just so you can adjust the band size - I just adjusted it more than they expected :tongue_smilie:  

So now I don't worry about the band size so much but focus on trying to find a well fitting cup (still a struggle sadly).

That is great advice and I have done that with one bra.  Our issue more is finding a band size SMALL enough for them.