Menu

S/O of leaving kids in car. . . do you think 10 is too young?

Alicia64

I have twin ten year olds. I've talked with them several times about not opening the door for strangers (or anyone other than me or dad) and laying on the horn if there's any problem at all.

Am I being dumb to do this? They often whine about going shopping with me so it's easier to leave them reading their books in a locked van.

The windows are tinted so a bad guy would really have to be snooping around to know that kids are in it.

What do you think?

Alley

I wouldn't leave a non-teen in the car while I did a whole actual shopping outing.

Running in for milk or to send a package, sure. I actually do leave my 10 and 11yos withe the little boys sometimes to do that. But not for something that should clearly take more than 5 minutes. And not without a cell phone.

By the time they were 10, my kids could drive.  I didn't hesitate to leave them in the car. ;)

For me it would depend where I was.  Downtown Denver?  No.  

Downtown McCook?  Absolutely.  

Do you really think it is wise to post on a public forum that you let your 10 year olds drive your vehicles?

Not a farm, a ranch, but yeah, same principle.

In this part of the world, it's pretty common that kids are driving by the time they're 7 or 8.  So long as they're tall enough to reach the pedals and aren't on public roadways...

DS was driving when he was 4, sort of.  His dad would put the pickup in granny-low and Buck would kneel on the seat and steer.  Then Trap would jump in the back and throw out salt or protein or whatever for the cattle.  

They prob live on a farm.

Anyways, yes, I would feel ok leaving them in the car based on 2 main things: 1) the area the car is in and 2) how long you think you'll be gone. I think anything over 30 mins would make my ds uncomfortable (he's 9) and me a bit uncomfortable.

I do leave my 9 & 6 yr olds alone in the car for quick run-ins (like 2 mins to pay for gas) and I would leave my 9 yr old longer except my 6 yr old is pretty much always with us and I don't think it's right to expect my ds to be responsible for her.

I'm guessing you haven't spent a lot of time in rural NE.

I live in Colorado.  There are a lot of rural places here as well.  I still wouldn't let a 10 year old drive a car and if I did, I certainly wouldn't be broadcasting it on here.  It is still illegal no matter where you live in the U.S.

I live in Colorado.  There are a lot of rural places here as well.  I still wouldn't let a 10 year old drive a car and if I did, I certainly wouldn't be broadcasting it on here.  It is still illegal no matter where you live in the U.S.

It's not illegal on private property.

I live in Colorado. There are a lot of rural places here as well. I still wouldn't let a 10 year old drive a car and if I did, I certainly wouldn't be broadcasting it on here. It is still illegal no matter where you live in the U.S.

Actually many states have farming/ranching exemptions for driving ages. I seriously doubt anyone has ever been in legal trouble over driving farm equipment on totally private property, most likely with parental permission/supervision.

Yes, I leave my 10 year old in the car for short trips. At 10 I was riding the city bus alone. I don't leave him in there for super long and I mostly do it for his convenience/preference. He'd far prefer sitting in the car and reading to a small grocery run. If it is a VERY quick trip (library holds, picking up something from a friend) and getting my 4.5 year old out poses a challenge (he's asleep or I need to dash in and out), I have been known to leave him in with his older brother. I don't leave the younger one in alone unless it's a dash to the library book drop and dash back/in full sight sort of a deal. In my state this is legal provided the engine is not running and the parent is not inside a tavern/parked outside a tavern. At 11 I was babysitting and at 12 I had an actual job. I have to laugh at the idea that 10 minutes in a car for a 10 year old is an outrageous risk.

I am confused. I would more likely leave 10 year olds at HOME rather than in a car while I shop. But I thin 10 is too young for most 10 year olds.

In fact, no, I would not leave kids in a car for more than 3 to 5 minutes, and then ONLY if there is s window in the establishment and I can see them.

But leave kids in a car while I shop? Never...

Dh left our dd who was 11 at the time in the car at the curb in front of the store once and when he came out, a cop was standing there.  He got dressed down by the guy even though 1) dd did NOT open the door or window for him, 2) the car was NOT running, and 3) the car was also locked.  He was in there about 3-4 minutes. The cop didn't mention whether dh was allowed to park there, but told him not to leave our kid in the car alone again.  :driving: So yeah, we hesitate to do it anymore even though I think it's perfectly fine.  Not sure about the law, but the cop didn't mention that either!

Depends on where you live, what the weather is, what the local laws are, and how long you're going to be.

I live in an area where there isn't a local law.  Starting at about 10, if the weather were cool/warm enough, I wouldn't have a problem leaving a pair of kids in the car for 10 minutes or less.  More than that, they'd either need to come in, or if my total round trip were less than an hour, I'd leave them at home.

I live in Colorado.  There are a lot of rural places here as well. 

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark that you don't actually live in one of those places, though.   ;)

Because I can tell you for a fact that kids in eastern CO are driving at that young of an age, too.   I know quite a few of them.  

Bean was giving me a guilt trip last fall because "I'm 10 Mom and I don't know how to drive yet!!  I'm like the only one in my whole class..."  (Which I doubt, given how many town-kids are in her class)  But I had to laugh.

Near as I can tell, folks in rural areas expect far more of our kids than many in urban areas do...  

Near as I can tell, folks in rural areas expect far more of our kids than many in urban areas do...

Well, when it comes to something like driving, which can have such an impact on others' safety, it makes sense that people in urban areas aren't letting their kids drive around the city. It's scary enough being around a lot of the people who already have their drivers' licenses! ;)

My ds13 knows his way around NYC almost as well as I do, but I don't think I'll be handing him the car keys any time soon! :D

If we lived on a farm or a ranch where he would only be on private property, things might be entirely different, though! :)

Well, when it comes to something like driving, which can have such an impact on others' safety, it makes sense that people in urban areas aren't letting their kids drive around the city. It's scary enough being around a lot of the people who already have their drivers' licenses! ;)

My ds13 knows his way around NYC almost as well as I do, but I don't think I'll be handing him the car keys any time soon! :D

If we lived on a farm or a ranch where he would only be on private property, things might be entirely different, though! :)

Definitely a whole different world.  I live in suburban So CA now but I grew up in NE.  My sister lives on a ranch in NE, her driveway is 1.5 miles long.  She lives 16 miles from her town of residence, the population of that town is 600 people. :laugh:

My nieces and nephews were driving pickups and farm equipment at young ages but not on public roads.

Even still, a kid moving a tractor down the county road is nothing unusual.  But of course, we're talking a vehicle with a full roll cage and a top speed of probably 7 or 8 mph because Dad told you not to go any higher than this gear!   ;)

My sister lives on a ranch in NE

Having lived on ranches all over NE, my curiosity is up.  What's the town?

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark that you don't actually live in one of those places, though.   ;)

Because I can tell you for a fact that kids in eastern CO are driving at that young of an age, too.   I know quite a few of them.  

Bean was giving me a guilt trip last fall because "I'm 10 Mom and I don't know how to drive yet!!  I'm like the only one in my whole class..."  (Which I doubt, given how many town-kids are in her class)  But I had to laugh.

My mother's family has all lived on farms in rural Colorado.  NONE of them drove a vehicle until they were 16 so it isn't EVERY family who lives on farms/ranches who does this.  My grandfather would have had a heart attack if he found out one of his kids was driving under the age of 16 (even on their property).

The only time I leave the kids in the car is when I am paying for petrol. I lock the car and keep watching the whole time. Of course, this only happens at 2 maybe 3 certain petrol stations and if it is not those ones the kids come inside with me to pay.

My mother's family has all lived on farms in rural Colorado.  NONE of them drove a vehicle until they were 16 so it isn't EVERY family who lives on farms/ranches who does this.  My grandfather would have had a heart attack if he found out one of his kids was driving under the age of 16 (even on their property).

Of course it's not "every."  There's a reason I said, "pretty common." 

However, your grandfather didn't let his kids drive before 16?  On a rural Colorado farm?  

That was extremely unusual for that generation...  

Your kids must be quite tall.  My 11 year old could not physically reach the pedals nor see over the dashboard to drive.

Not particularly.  Though my 11 year old, reading over my shoulder said, "Her kids must be pretty short..."  (Right after she said, "Cool!  The cat's eyes blink!"  lol)

They just started on one of the cars.  I think DS was 12 before he could drive the pickup because he was too short until then...  DD still can't reach.

Hahaha. I just thought of the time I left my 4 in the car about 4 years ago. Oldest dd was 13, youngest was 5. I ran ino the library to return some books and I got hung up for some reason. I heard my horn honking and ran outside. My son, who was 11 at the time was honking the horn. They had been hit by another car pulling in. The lady tried to tell me that she didn't do it. But I had 4 witnesses who saw and felt it! She hadn't seen them at first because our windows are darkly tinted and she thought she could get away with it.

Oh good lord.

I was driving on my father's lap well before 10.

My mother's family has all lived on farms in rural Colorado. NONE of them drove a vehicle until they were 16 so it isn't EVERY family who lives on farms/ranches who does this. My grandfather would have had a heart attack if he found out one of his kids was driving under the age of 16 (even on their property).

You can get a learner's permit in Colorado before age 16, so why would it have caused him so much grief?

Oh good lord.

I was driving on my father's lap well before 10.

People do a lot of things that aren't necessarily a good idea.  People get drunk and drive anyway.  People give alcohol to minors and think nothing about it.  Just because more than one person on here let their child drive a car at age 10, doesn't necessarily make it a good idea.  You all act like there is no reason that people are not supposed to drive until they are 16.