Menu

Dog Question - Dog attack

rwjx2khsmj

Yesterday morning one of my dogs attacked a neighbor's dog on the neighbor's property. I was jogging. The dogs were off leash. Bad, I know. In the year that we've been doing this we haven't had a problem. It obviously won't be happening again. I paid the vet bill for the neighbor's dog, no question. The dog will be fine.

The neighbor is still very angry with me, understandably. He wants me to have my dogs put down. Is this a reasonable expectation? Would you make the choice to put your dogs down in order to placate a neighbor?

Guys, I wish this were a nice letter and gift card situation. It's not. The neighbor has made it very clear that nothing short of two dead dogs is going to remedy the situation for him. Would you kill your dogs to placate a neighbor?

Can he legally force me to have them put down?

ETA: Thanks to Whereneverever I went to look at the state laws. The way I'm reading them it seems that because my dog attacked but didn't kill another dog, not a person or livestock, the dog isn't in violation of the law. Now, if the dog went onto the property and went after a goat or horse that would be a totally different matter. Also, this would be the dog's first offense That seems to matter as well.

Only through legal/governmental channels. He can call Animal Control/the police and they will come out and investigate the complaint. More than likely you would get a citation (read: fine) for the dogs being off leash (if that's a law or ordinance). Most places a judge has to sign off on a warrant to destroy an animal against its owners will because dogs are property. You should read up on animal rights laws in your jurisdiction. Animal control may or may not need a warrant to seize the animals until a property rights hearing.

I would do my best to avoid the neighbor and not engage him at all. "I'm sorry you feel that way." (Does not admit fault, diffuses situation) Nothing else. Make sure you keep copies of everything you have paid. I'd take notes and keep records (date, time) of any conversations you have had or have with him. Keep copies of proof of vaccinations at home as well. You may want to contact an attorney familiar with your laws as well for advice on any potential liability or other concerns.

Just wanted to note that I have never witnessed the sentiment, "I'm sorry you feel that way," diffuse a situation. People always seem to pick up that it is not the apology they wanted but rather a way of ducking fault and it often seems to make matters more heated.

I would do my best to avoid the neighbor and not engage him at all. "I'm sorry you feel that way." (Does not admit fault, diffuses situation) Nothing else. Make sure you keep copies of everything you have paid. I'd take notes and keep records (date, time) of any conversations you have had or have with him. Keep copies of proof of vaccinations at home as well. You may want to contact an attorney familiar with your laws as well for advice on any potential liability or other concerns.

This sounds like a great way to piss the neighbor off and make sure he pursues every possible avenue to have the dog put down.

When I'm at fault, I find profuse apologies to be a better course than sticking my nose in the air and refusing to acknowledge that I screwed up. I'd sign the dog up for obedience school and let the neighbor know I've done so.

I would be furious with you. We would think whoever allowed that to happen was a horrible dog owner and a terrible peron.

IMO you ought to write a massive apology and a big fat gift card and deliver it to their door and pray they don't try to have you charged with a crime.

They can "try" to have them charged with a crime all they want, but it sounds as if it isn't one (except violation of leash laws) in their city/county.

I'd be mad, too, but I'm not sure what else she can do at this point. It happened, she obviously admitted guilt by immediately paying the vet bills, and has stated her dogs won't be off leash again.

In my opinion, she's done enough. No letter or gift card or anything else can un-attack the dog.

I would be so incredibly furious I don't really know what I'd do.

However, I'm a huge animal lover so I *probably* wouldn't pursue having your dog euthanized unless I thought the dog's aggression was totally out of hand. This is going to sting but I don't know how else to say it to get my point across -- I don't think an owner's irresponsible behavior should cost a dog its life. I have a huge thing about irresponsible pet owners. And letting a dog run loose in a public area is about as irresponsible and selfish as one can get IMO. You and your dog are lucky in so many ways that things weren't worse. Count it as a lesson learned.

And yeah, I think a gift card for the neighbor is a great idea. Maybe to a pet store?

I'm just curious, but was the neighbor's dog on a leash at the time? Did it provoke your dog into the attack in any way? You've apologized. You've paid the vet bill. I would just make sure your dogs are on leash from now on, and avoid the neighbor.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I have apologized. The situation was my fault. I have paid the vet bill. I am aware of my irresponsible behavior but I can't change it, I can only move forward.

I'm just curious, but was the neighbor's dog on a leash at the time? Did it provoke your dog into the attack in any way? .

Not that it matters but no, the neighbor's dog was not on a leash. The neighbor's dogs are never leashed. They are sometimes kenneled or put in the house but never leashed. The dog came at me (and my dogs) growling and barking but we were on the neighbor's property.

Guys, I wish this were a nice letter and gift card situation. It's not. The neighbor has made it very clear that nothing short of two dead dogs is going to remedy the situation for him. Would you kill your dogs to placate a neighbor?

Are your dogs a danger to others? Is this likely to happen again?

I think you need to take a good hard look at your dog's potential behavior. How badly was the neighbor's dog hurt?

You may need to talk to a vet and get a professional opinion.

Elise in NC

Absolutely not. If you can honestly say that your dogs will not be off leash again and so no longer a threat to your neighbor's dog in any way, then you've done all you can do.

If you thought your dogs were aggressive and/or didn't have any intention of keeping them on leash going forward then I'd encourage you to consider all options, including re-homing them with an owner who would follow the rules. It sounds as if you will be that owner going forward. Don't euthanize the dogs to placate an angry neighbor.

Not that it matters but no, the neighbor's dog was not on a leash. The neighbor's dogs are never leashed. They are sometimes kenneled or put in the house but never leashed. The dog came at me (and my dogs) growling and barking but we were on the neighbor's property.

You were ON the neighbor's property? Or you were passing it? That makes a difference too. Where I live, if you weren't trespassing (and maybe even if you were?), he'd be in trouble also as the law makes no allowance for having a dog unleashed on your own property. The law here is that the dog must be under your direct verbal control or physically controlled (as in leashed or fenced) no matter where you are.

How badly was the neighbor's dog hurt?

The neighbor's dog required stitches and an overnight stay. The bill was under $300.

No, I don't think my dogs are a danger to others but I wouldn't have imagined this situation either. Thanks for the suggestion to talk to a vet.

Why both dogs if only one was involved in the attack?

One of my dogs listened and came to me when I told it to. The other did not.

Oh, you're asking why my neighbor wants both dogs put down? I'm assuming because he doesn't distinguish between the dogs nor was he in a position to see the attack.

You were ON the neighbor's property? Or you were passing it?

I was jogging past. The dogs went into the yard. I went into the yard to get them back on the road. The neighbor's dog came out barking.

As I've said, it makes no difference. I should have had the dogs leashed or not there at all.

Profuse apologies are due; you've got to convince this guy that you will be responsible in the future. I would not be surprised if he shot your dogs himself the next time they are on his property.

He has informed me in no uncertain terms that is his intention. He has two loaded shotguns waiting for them. They won't be going anywhere near his property.

I think the request is unreasonable because it was just the one dog that attacked and it was your first offense and his dog will be ok. It wasn't the dogs fault, it was your fault. BUT the situation could have been worse and I totally understand where he is coming from. My neighbors dog attacked one of our deer, causing him to break his jaw on the fence and we had to put him down. I want to put a bullet in that dogs head and my neighbors know that I will if it steps on our property ever again.

I think you are taking the right steps (and I completely sympathize with the owner of the other dog, I'd be furious as well). I'd give it a few days and then come by with some dog treats/toys (or a gift card) and some type of gift (even if it's just a dozen doughnuts or bagels) for the owners and apologize again, letting them know the steps you've taken to avoid this situation in the future. For me, a few days and the realization that everything will be all right helps me calm down.

I would not put my dog down due to the situation unless it looked as if the dog was growing up to be violent (and even then I would try to re-home).

For what it's worth, I've found profuse apology to be better at diffusing a situation than not admitting fault. (I know you admitted fault already, but I just wanted to mention it.)

My neighbors never did apologize for their dog attacking our deer. I do think that if they showed they were very sorry and did everything they could to remedy the situation I would have been less mad and a little more understanding. People make mistakes and if they take responsibility for their actions and show remorse I think that helps a lot.

You were ON the neighbor's property? Or you were passing it? That makes a difference too. Where I live, if you weren't trespassing (and maybe even if you were?), he'd be in trouble also as the law makes no allowance for having a dog unleashed on your own property. The law here is that the dog must be under your direct verbal control or physically controlled (as in leashed or fenced) no matter where you are.

I was thinking this, as well. There have been several similar cases like this on The People's Court (my guilty pleasure, lol), and the judge gives grief to everyone whose dogs are not leashed or fenced.

I would be upset too if my dog was injured. You've apologized, you've paid the vet bill, you will always have your dog on a leash in the future. I'm not sure how putting the dog down will help. I'd just stick to what you've done and be extra vigilant in the future. Also, I'd just avoid the neighbor as much as possible. Time is likely the only thing that will really diffuse the situation.

*if your dog has a history of aggression, or your vet thinks it will after having been involved in an attack, then you should consider having it put down.

Leash laws vary widely. But unless someone can show me evidence to the contrary, I can't believe there's a judge alive who would fault an unleashed dog on it's own property for protecting itself against an "invading" dog. Please don't believe what Judge Judy or Judge Joe or any other stupidly silly TV judge says has any relevance whatsoever to how laws are interpreted in real courtrooms. In general the intent of leash laws that require dogs to be leashed on their owner's property is to prevent a dog from running out into the street causing an accident or chasing down a jogger or biker. The intent isn't to prevent a dog from protecting itself and/or its owner from another dog who encroaches on the owner's property. Besides the strict legalities, there's also the moral responsibility. And the OP has already made it clear that she accepts fault and will prevent the situation from happening again.

Now, would I put my dog down, based on the further information you've provided? No. I doubt there's anything legally that requires you to do so. Morally you've accepted responsibility and done everything you should do. I think that covers it. However, if you have any inkling whatsoever that either of your dogs is developing a bigger aggression issue then it's a different matter. But it sounds as if this was strictly the result of dogs being unrestrained and doing what dogs instinctively tend to do. Especially two dogs. One dog can have a desire to defend itself and/or it's owner but will often hesitate depending on the situation. Two dogs make a pack, and pack mentality is totally different from solo dog mentality. Often what would give a solo dog pause won't phase a pack.

It DOES matter. His dog came at you, and your dog was doing it's job-protecting you. You don't need to apologize anymore- he should apologize to you!

I think you need to take a good hard look at your dog's potential behavior. How badly was the neighbor's dog hurt?

You may need to talk to a vet and get a professional opinion.

Elise in NC

Did you see her post just above yours? His dog came at her... they were protecting her.

One of my dogs listened and came to me when I told it to. The other did not.

Oh, you're asking why my neighbor wants both dogs put down? I'm assuming because he doesn't distinguish between the dogs nor was he in a position to see the attack.

I was jogging past. The dogs went into the yard. I went into the yard to get them back on the road. The neighbor's dog came out barking.

As I've said, it makes no difference. I should have had the dogs leashed or not there at all.

Again- seems he has the aggressive dog, and yours did it's job. I also wonder if he saw your dogs- and let his dog out on purpose....

And I agree w/ Kathryn- his property or not- his dogs should not be loose unless they are in a fenced yard.

If it did it to a human being, I would have a serious think about it, and do what seemed best (which would probably be putting it down, but even the thought saddens me nearly to tears, I don't want to think about it).

Anything other than that would have to have a court-mandated rules stating I *had* to, otherwise I wouldn't, unless truly needed.

What I would do, if that situation ever happened here, is apart from the stuff you already did (apologising, trying to make amends, paying for the bills) is get a dog trainer/handler in ASAP. A private one, willing to come to my house and help me figure things out, re-train the dog, and the trainer being able to advise what they think should be done (and if they advised getting the dog put down, I would get a second opinion before doing so).

Sadly, after some dogs attack, it's like a veil goes over their eyes, they become completely different. Same with the "victim" of the attack, whether it be dog, cow or person. I would look into the possibilty of a doggie type therapy and rehabilitation though, before considering it being put down.

I know that dogs can just snap, whether its an accumulation of things you haven't noticed (that didn't seem to bother them before) or something has just set them off. Unfortunately we still don't know enough about the minds of dogs & pets to figure out the cause when it may have been something you count as completely insignificant.

Its why even though my two gigantic dogs are the sookiest things in the world (but they pale in comparison to the ex-guard dog rottweiler I rehab-ed who thought she was a chihuahua, thats a whole other story) but I still don't leave them alone with my kids. Even if they're excited they may do something by accident (Roxy the giant mixture (German Shepherd x Doberman x about 6 other things) can get over-excited and knock Eve over by accident). They also protect the kids, but I still have the commonsense of not trusting them alone.

Off-Leash (unfortunately most people only learn through experience, as I did) is not a good idea in an open area. Too many things can happen. My dog years ago was on voice command, and excelled at it. She sat outside the shop in the carpark and waited for me, kept beside me till we were 3/4 of the way home. Then on the other side of the road, she saw her "friend" who lives a couple of doors down from us. She got over-excited, rushed straight across the road, and got into hyped-up mode, I tried calling her, but she proceeded to just run back and forth, wagging and trying to show me that "yay! look! my friend is over here" in hindsight, I should of left the shopping and just ran towards her friend, then she wouldn't of been racing back and forth to communicate her message. As it was I saw everything in slow motion and the car coming round the corner, which made me panick and call louder, which in turn just made her more excited. The car that hit her, the lady was wonderfully sweet and helped me get her home (in her car). She managed to last until we got to the porch, and with me screaming at my friend to call the vets, she died in my arms, still wagging her little tail. :crying: Lila (lab x border Collie) is excellent with voice command, good with tricks (she's a regular circus dog), always comes when she is called, but I NEVER let her off leash outside our acreage. It was a hard-lesson but I learnt it. People grow, mature etc, and can be equipped to understand the modern day world, and fast reactions based on the commonsense of current technology, dog's can't. Outside of your yard, anything the dog hasn't encountered before could appear and cause a swift & sudden reaction.

I hope your dog stays a sweetie-pie, and I'd probably be giving it lots of hugs right now :grouphug: I don't know the laws, but it sounds like you looked into it, hopefully he cannot enforce it, so if thats the case, it more depends on which you want to keep (the neighbours good graces or the doggie)

It DOES matter. His dog came at you, and your dog was doing it's job-protecting you. You don't need to apologize anymore- he should apologize to you!

Did you see her post just above yours? His dog came at her... they were protecting her

Yes, but she called her dogs back and only one responded. Also none of this would have happened if her dogs weren't on the neighbor's property. The OP is rightly taking responsibility and reasonably wants to ensure it doesn't happen again.

This sounds like a great way to piss the neighbor off and make sure he pursues every possible avenue to have the dog put down.

When I'm at fault, I find profuse apologies to be a better course than sticking my nose in the air and refusing to acknowledge that I screwed up. I'd sign the dog up for obedience school and let the neighbor know I've done so.

She already has apologized and paid the vet bills. Further conversation with a guy who could pursue civil and criminal charges against you is simply not wise, especially while emotions are still running so high. He's threatening to kill her dogs, so she needs to stay far, far away and not engage him. And again, an attorney is a good idea. He doesn't sound as though he is operating from a rational place. I would be mad as well, but I wouldn't be threatening violence.

Did you see her post just above yours? His dog came at her... they were protecting her.

Again- seems he has the aggressive dog, and yours did it's job. I also wonder if he saw your dogs- and let his dog out on purpose....

And I agree w/ Kathryn- his property or not- his dogs should not be loose unless they are in a fenced yard.

If she had her dogs leashed and his dog came at them, her dogs could legally protect her and they would not have been on his property thus avoiding this whole problem.

My neighbor's dog has come at my dog four times now and always on our property (because our dog is always on a leash). The last time my dog finally fought back and actually bit the dog. Neighbor dog has never hurt my dog. She is very small but she tries to hurt him. They've always apologized and we've gone on with our business. I think your neighbor is being too dramatic for a first offense. I think you should probably apologize again and promise not to have your dogs off leash ever again.

*if your dog has a history of aggression, or your vet thinks it will after having been involved in an attack, then you should consider having it put down.

A behaviorist or trainer with a lot of experience with problem dogs would be a better choice. Most veterinarians do not have extensive behavior experience. Mine would refer people with issues to members of the dog training group that I was a member of.

I can honestly say I would not put my dog down to appease an angry neighbor. If my dog was showing signs of human aggression that is a different matter entirely.

You admitted you were at fault. You willingly paid the vet bills. You apologized. Keep your dogs on the leash and stay away from this neighbor.

She already has apologized and paid the vet bills. Further conversation with a guy who could pursue civil and criminal charges against you is simply not wise, especially while emotions are still running so high. He's threatening to kill her dogs, so she needs to stay far, far away and not engage him. And again, an attorney is a good idea. He doesn't sound as though he is operating from a rational place. I would be mad as well, but I wouldn't be threatening violence.

I don't know that he doesn't seem rational. Last fall 2 dogs came to our farm, killed one of our elderly pet sheep, 3 pet chickens, and 5 of the cats from our managed feral colony. I love dogs (former vet tech and obedience instructor that helped counsel people with dog problems, and I also have fostered for rescue) but If I had been home, I would have shot the dogs if I could not have gotten them contained. If I could have captured them and gotten them to a rescue group for possible placement-I would have. I was mad as He## and good thing we never figured out who the owner was. I have heard through the grapevine that a neighbor did kill them when they were at his place killing his fancy pet silky chickens... I can understand his anger at the situation. I would agree with staying out of his way. OP should have fort Knox of a yard and house to prevent any accidental escapes

I don't know that he doesn't seem rational. Last fall 2 dogs came to our farm, killed one of our elderly pet sheep, 3 pet chickens, and 5 of the cats from our managed feral colony. I love dogs (former vet tech and obedience instructor that helped counsel people with dog problems, and I also have fostered for rescue) but If I had been home, I would have shot the dogs if I could not have gotten them contained. If I could have captured them and gotten them to a rescue group for possible placement-I would have. I was mad as He## and good thing we never figured out who the owner was. I have heard through the grapevine that a neighbor did kill them when they were at his place killing his fancy pet silky chickens... I can understand his anger at the situation. I would agree with staying out of his way. OP should have fort Knox of a yard and house to prevent any accidental escapes

I'm a city girl, so a neighbor threatening us with a gun would be nutty. :) We lived next to a loon many years ago who blamed our dogs for pooping on his lawn. Our dogs were 75 lbs, always walked on-leash, and the poop was tiny. It was from another neighbor's poodle mix, but he would not listen to reason. He gathered up the poop and threw it at out house and car and then sat screaming on his porch while waving a shotgun. We called the police. And moved ASAP. So I hear angry guy + shotgun and think of him.

I understand why your neighbor feels this way. We had a dog of ours attacked by a neighbor dog down the road. That dog escpaed from its yard and our dog was on leash, but the trauma inflicted on your neighbor's dog was probably similar. Our dog was more severely injured, the neighbor paid the vet bill, and we did ask them to put their dog down and they did.

As a dog lover, I HATED that a dog was being put down by my request. It was heart rending, and even worse for the owner, I'm sure. However, that dog was vicious and I don't know how I would have been able to go for walks in our community if the dog was not put down.

There was also the worry that our dog would have mental scars from the attack, and be dangerous around our kids. Thankfullly, she didn't, but we had to nurse her and keep her from the kids and wonder for about 6-8 months, IIRC.

So, I think you should consider putting your dog down. I don't know your dog, so I don't know if you actually should do it. But your neighbor is not being particularly unreasonable from my perspective.

So a vet knows there was a dog attack. Did he call your local animal control? Since this neighbor sounds so angry, as the attacking/trespassing dog's owner, I would and turn myself in. You can control the situation better that way and you can talk to the AC people about how your neighbor feels.

OP, I am sorry this happened and I am so glad the hurt dog is going to be okay.

The first thing I would do is call a lawyer, and consider it money well-spent. You need to find out what rights this person has to control what happens to your dogs. Can he request they be put down? You also need to find out what kind of legal liability you have here. It's great that you already paid the vet bill - can the owner come after you for pain and suffering? Could you lose your homeowner's insurance since your dog is a risk? Some plans will not cover certain breeds or animal attacks. You need to find out the extent of what COULD happen. It depends on your local laws, so all of us on the Board are only guessing. You will feel better when you know.

Simultaneously, you need to go absolutely dark about this until you are very clear on what your plan is going to be. Don't engage the neighbor at all anymore until you are sure what the laws state on this. Don't talk to any other neighbors about it either. You have already apologized. Now quit engaging. You don't want to keep the fire stoked.

I would not put down my dogs over this, unless forced to by the law.

:grouphug: :grouphug:

I should add - we've had our other dog bitten by other dogs - our dog on leash, other dogs escaping from yard or not on leash/roaming. I think it has happened 3 times. We never persued anything. An attack is different than a nip.

I had to sift through posts to establish the scenario.

Local ordinances would override other considerations, I think.

If this was a "first offense", I believe the neighbor overreacted. Saying this, even though I understand the neighbor's anger over his/her injured pet, and I also understand that the neighbor's dog was acting appropriately on its own home territory. OP acted responsibly, promptly, and courteously. If the neighbor's dog had died or had been permanently maimed, I might feel more sympathetic toward so severe a request. But that extreme result is not what happened. OP responded well to the situation.

Common sense has a role to play. To my common sense, dogs ought to be on leashes unless in a place with specific permission not to do so. (e.g. a dog park, on property enclosed by a fence, or on clearly rural private property) Jogging through a neighborhood with ones dogs not on a leash courts trouble.

It is natural to defend ones own pets. Sometimes, though, we "excuse" our pets just as we sometimes "excuse" our children, without objectively considering their natures and behaviours from the standpoint of another person.

Again, this was a "first offense". Caution throughout the future may prevent any other problems.

Our previous dog developed a rap sheet with Animal Services, based on relatively minor skirmishes with other animals, and on snapping at (not biting) a woman who approached him inappropriately. After the dog turned on our young son, however, biting him severely enough to send us rushing to the ER at midnight, we sadly elected to have the dog put down.

I don't think a lawyer is needed at this stage. Just leashes and a review of local ordinances.

I doubt he can make you put your dog down.

I would still try to rehome the dog for two reasons:

(1) I also don't think that he or his dog should be forced to live in proximity to a dog who has already attacked his dog once. It doesn't seem fair that they should have that anxiety. Dog will have their little snarls and snaps, and we have had a few in our neighborhood. But if the bite was serious enough to require vet care, I would take it seriously and do what might be best for the other guy and HIS dog rather than for me and my dog.

(2) I personally would not want the legal liability. Having already shown what he is capable of, you are truly exposed to serious liability if he ever bites a person. I adore my dogs, but I wouldn't want that risk in my home.

I'm so sorry. I know this is really hard for you and that you love your dogs, as do your children. And I hate having conflict with neighbors. Nothing at this point is going to make you feel 100% good.

Your neighbors an idiot.

I would certainly be mad if I was him but his dog came at you and your dogs aggressively and yours protected you (and themselves). They shouldn't have been on his property but they don't sound like vicious animals, they sound like normal dogs.

You paid the vet bills and apologized. It would be nice of you to mail him an apology letter (that does not admit fault...something along the lines of "I'm sorry your dogs were hurt last week. My dog was just trying to protect me/herself as she felt threatened but that is no excuse.") and a gift card to a pet store or something but I don't think it's necessary.

Obviously you have learned your lesson and from now on will keep your dogs properly restrained (and I would never jog past his house again).

You already know this now, but I'm going to say it again: Dogs need to be on leash if they're not fenced/restrained. I highly doubt that you'll ever make that mistake again.

I don't know about the laws in your community, but I'm guessing that if a vet was involved, there has been an "aggressive animal" report filed somewhere. If the other dog is okay, and this was a first offense, your neighbor probably doesn't have legal grounds to ask you to put down your dogs. BUT that doesn't mean that he won't find some way to take care of the problem himself. Do you have a family member or close friend who would take in the dogs? They would probably be safer living with someone else, and your first concern now (with the irate neighbor threatening to do them in) is their safety.

The other thing to take into consideration is the breed of dogs involved (both yours and your neighbor's.) Some insurance companies will drop you like a hot potato if they get wind of an aggressive breed on your property, especially if the dog has a "record." If your neighbor's dog is one of those breeds, he should also be concerned, since his dog was involved in the altercation, even if the dog was defending his turf.

Your neighbors an idiot.

I would certainly be mad if I was him but his dog came at you and your dogs aggressively and yours protected you (and themselves). They shouldn't have been on his property but they don't sound like vicious animals, they sound like normal dogs.

His dog stayed in his yard. He had the opportunity to bite, since two dogs and a human invaded his space. but he didn't apparently bite any one. HER dogs were off leash and in one case, unwilling to obey her voice command. An unrestrained "protective" dog who doesn't follow commands is a DANGEROUS dog. It may be "normal" for a dog to ignore human barrier and want to protect his owner, but responsible dog ownership means overcoming those unrestrained instincts and controlling one's pet. If you can't do that, you shouldn't have the pet. I don't mean that OP shouldn't have a pet - she sounds very contrite. She had a bad experience and is learning from it, and I don't think she should put her dogs down because of it, though I did suggest reasons she might want to rehome.

A lot of really tragic dog bite incidents involve dogs that are not really 'vicious' dogs. As dog owners, we have to restrain, train, and contain our dogs so that these kinds of things (and much worse) don't happen. And when they do happen, I think we have to take responsibility (as OP seems to be doing) and not make excuses and justifications.

I would not put my dog down in this situation. The gentleman is being unreasonable. Your dogs were loose but so was his. His could easily have run off his property and the incident could have happened on the road. Your dog also could have been the one with the greater injuries. Would he have been willing to pay the vet bill then because his dog was loose? Dogs don't understand boundries unless it is something solid. Personally, I think there is fault on both sides. Both the dogs involved where doing what dogs do. It wasn't as if his came out with its tail wagging to say hi. His came out barking and growling. You apologized and paid the vet bills. Hopefully things calm down with time. In the future always have your dogs leashed and run in the opposite direction!

He has informed me in no uncertain terms that is his intention. He has two loaded shotguns waiting for them. They won't be going anywhere near his property.

In my state this would be a crime. A property owner can shot a dog that comes on to their property, but the dog would have to be currently engaging in an attack on a human or an animal that belonged on the property.

For what it is worth, I can sympathize. I've been a victim of something like this and have had former neighbors with a similar problem. We have no leash law outside city limits. And for the record, I do not consider either myself or my former neighbors irresponsible dog owners. Things happen and you shouldn't beat yourself up over it anymore. In my opinion the best way to handle this neighbor would be to ignore them as best you can and of course contact the correct authorities for further threats and harassment.

Kbug

Sure don't want to recommend you diving into scalding water, but is that kind of threat grounds for a police report from you? Please don't laugh at me, but is there such a thing as a protective order to keep this irrational neighbor away from your dogs?

I would be worried that he would poison them in their own yard.

Also as the owner of a dog aggressive breed (this dog hasn't shown any tendencies) what are the issue related to a dog who is in his yard, but with a radio fence. Can I get in trouble if he harms another dog, while not on leash--- or is a radio fence considered a leash?

I wouldn't put my dog down in this circumstance. It sounds to me like your dog was protecting you/itself from an aggressive response of the neighbor's dog. Yes, you are legally liable since you were on the dog's home turf. Big whoop. Plenty of folks let their dogs off leash when you live in the boonies. That doesn't mean that your dog pays the ultimate price for being in the wrong side of the property line when a scuffle broke out.

So, pay the bill (done!). Send an apology card and a gift card (maybe sounds unhelpful, but free money and groveling always help, trust me.) Keep your dogs off his property! (done, right!)

Get one of those runner's leashes. They are awesome. :) They attach the dog to your waist and are totally handsfree. I don't know if you can run with two dogs that way, but you can just run with one that way for sure.

FWIW, I totally don't think you are a terrible dog owner. In many communities, mine included, well behaved dogs are routinely allowed off leash.

All that said, be aware of legal liability. You can often be held liable for 100% of any damage your dog does. If there is any chance of your dog attacking a PERSON, then be super, super careful in the future. (In people-aggression cases, I'm quick to go to euthanasia, but I really don't think this case is like that. A dog protecting itself or its owner from a growling dog is 100% normal and, in my case, DESIRED behavior. I love that my dog would eat alive a snarling dog who approached me, especially when I am running.)

Oh, also, consider carrying pepper spray. :)

I would be worried that he would poison them in their own yard.

Also as the owner of a dog aggressive breed (this dog hasn't shown any tendencies) what are the issue related to a dog who is in his yard, but with a radio fence. Can I get in trouble if he harms another dog, while not on leash--- or is a radio fence considered a leash?

Being aware of having an aggressive dog often raises the bar in your liability. I would suggest that if you know you have a dog-aggressive (or anything-aggressive) dog, you should have a PHYSICAL fence. If for no other reason than a radio-fence is NEVER 100% secure. Any dog will cross the barrier when strongly motivated. And, be aware that your dog might harm the person walking that prey-dog, and THAT could be immense liability for you. There are plenty of people who will either intentionally or accidentally put themselves between their own dog and an attacking dog. Even if your dog were in his own yard, if he ended up harming a person, I guarantee you that you'd be in deep doo-doo, ESPECIALLY if it is in your yard, as then your home owner's insurance (deep pockets!!) would apply, so a law suit would be very easy.

I am a big fan of physical fences for all dogs. They keep the dog safe from OTHER dogs coming IN the yard as well as your dog safe from getting OUT.