Menu

If you could start fresh at K, What would you do?

CaneKev

I have three older children, the youngest going into 7th grade. We have been homeschooling for 3 years now. While we have had some good experiences, much of what we used has simply replicated what they did in their charter school.

So, now I have a 4 year old that will be starting soon. I want to make the schooling experience of my little one drastically different than his older siblings. If you were in my shoes, with no reason to use what you already have, what would you choose? I know that I need to really match the choice to the type of student he will be, but what I am really looking for here is what everyone has sat in their home dreaming of if they could do it all over again without constraints of money or time. I have already drooled over catalogs, but I definitely do not want to taint any opinions. We plan to start K-level activities as soon as he is ready.

Concentrate on the 3 R's *only* until grade 1 or 2 - giving informal instruction in history and science by way of our literature choices.

I too have a 7th grader and have been homeschooling for a few years. I also, like you, have an almost 4 year old (accelerated - we'll do a non writing intensive kindergarten with him this fall). So I get the chance to... start fresh, lol!

We're wrapping up our first year. If I were to do it again, I would have chosen less scripted programs. I found it very hard to slow down and speed up according to DS's needs when the programs were scripted. I wasted a lot of $$ on those programs this year, only to have to replace them with less or non scripted programs in order to reach both my DS's learning style and my own teaching style.

Math- Miquon and games, games, games

Reading- if ready- Bob books, AAS, and lots of phonics based games

Writing- Handwriting Without Tears, fine motor activites

Logic- Lollypop logic type books, tanagrams, widgets and logic based games/toys

Beyond this, if the K-er were the only student, I would let history, science, and the arts be child-led. I would strew lots and lots of what I thought might tickle the student's fancy and allow him to delve as deeply as he pleased.

Oh, and I would read as much as we both could stand.

The list I gave is what I've done with Bug, (and close to what I've done with the others), and although I do make Bug participate in group science, history, etc it is less than 30 minutes of any given day for him.

Focus just on phonics & math. Its easy to get swept away with all the different choices. Most programs recommended on here and popular classical ones really expect the child to be reading by the time 1st grade hits, So I would concentrate on getting the child reading.

As for what I'd do, I'd begin with Dancing Bears. Once we were a little through that, I would start math. Once we had a rhythm that showed improvement, I would think about adding something else. Theres a lot to be said for all the wise veterans who say start off with one subject and slowly add in others. Its a pity people in their excitement (including me in the beginning) tend to overlook words of wisdom like that because we are focused on all the shiny things and making it the "best" year ever.

Now, whenever I end up straying down that path, I remember whats happened over the past couple of years and go find Hunters signature for all those nuggets of reality.

:leaving:

Oak Meadow, Wynstone's Kindergarten Series, Beyond the Rainbow Bridge, Seven Times the Sun, Waldorf Essentials Journey through Kindergarten...ideas from all of these. That's what I'm doing now with dd5 for preschool and kindy, which will likely stretch over a few years due to her special needs. Very gentle, hands-on, fun things.

We are in the midst of K right now and I have been THRILLED with what we've done. I'd do it again in a heart beat. FIAR, plus 3Rs. For the 3Rs, we are using Singapore Essential Math, Phonics Pathways, Explode the Code and Happy Phonics games (never all three phonics options on the same day), and handwriting.

I would not bother to use a curriculum for math for K. I would use lots of manipulatives: c-rods, pattern blocks, dice, dominoes, playing cards, wedgits, duplos, MUS blocks, clock faces, etc.

I would use CLE Learning to Read for LA. I used it with my now 10yo and I would definitely use it again.

I used WinterPromise Animals and Their Worlds with the 10yo and it is on my shelf to use again with grandchildren. :) So, I would definitely use it again.

HTH-

Mandy

ETA- Prior to this the little man used B4FIAR and I have also saved this and all the books. :) He also used some of Picture Book Activities by Trish Kuffner and the Prep Curriculum from letteroftheweek.com.

I would mostly do what we did, which wasn't much - we did HWT and we did SOTW because the kids were into it. We did Magic School Bus science kits, which was fun. I would be glad to have the expanded content in Progressive Phonics, since we used that (among other things) and I liked it but it used to be very limited. The one thing I would change is that I would do more math. We did a lot of the C-rod activities in Math Made Meaningful, but I would probably do Miquon Orange and I might have started with MEP Reception.

I'd stick with 3Rs and FIAR. Those were my plans for this year, but I've been terrible about getting to FIAR. She mostly joins in with the older DC's studies.

I wish I'd gone ahead and purchased MUS...we've been using a variety of materials, but she gets a bit jealous of my older DC's math videos. :lol: We are using MCP, Pathway readers, and McGuffey readers for phonics (and finished ETC primers last fall)...I think I'd keep it the same. We play around with the letter cards that came with MCP and she loves the little story booklets, so that gives it a bit of fun without being overwhelming.

This is my first time through kindergarten, but we have been doing a K4 year and it's been going great! I have kept it fun and low-pressure, and he has been learning a ton.

We started with phonics and more.starfall. Occasionally I'd try to do more (cutting/pasting, coloring, tracing, etc.) but he wasn't ready so I didn't push it. We did math very informally, mostly through little games and playing with manipulatives. Once he finished his phonics program, we focused on more fine motor skills and math. We did Earlybird A orally and played with Cuisenaire rods, and we did more paper crafts and pencil practice (like mazes). Recently he has had more stamina for math, so we have been working through Miquon Orange and Earlybird B. He has continued to read to me every day. Just in the last month, he has been ready to start working on letter formation. His stamina has increased, and he is now practicing handwriting daily in addition to reading and math. Once he has more interest/stamina in writing, we will add in regular copywork and spelling. Also, this summer we will do Moving Beyond the Page's 5-7 Concept 4 (Change) and work on community & map activities.

So we definitely started small and have gradually increased the things he is doing. I have more of a full schedule planned out for the fall, but I am totally flexible and willing to cut back if it is too much. The most important thing is to meet him at his level, regardless of how much work we get through.

Reading/Literature:

Teaching with Favorite Arnold Lobel Books

Teaching with Favorite Kevin Henkes Books

Teaching with Aesop's Fables (maybe)

Teaching with Cinderella Stories from Around the world (maybe)

FIAR vol. 1 (maybe)

LA:

McGraw-Hill LA 1 and/or FLL/WWE

Math:

Singapore 1 & Miquon

Science:

E-M Daily Science 1 with book baskets and activities for each theme do read/do as interest allows

History:

Adventures in America (using the readers but not the read alouds)

Busywork:

E-M Never Bored 6-7

Explode the Code

More.Starfall ...

This is excellent. I appreciate all of the wish lists. One stand out for me is the concentration on mastering the basics of one subject at a time (i.e. Phonics/Reading, then math basics, etc.) I really like that idea and see where it would make a much more independent learner.

I'm about to start my 4th kindergartener....we're going a lot more gently this time around in terms of academics, but a lot harder on developmental stuff. We're doing a lot of the visual perceptual skill building and physical development stuff that I did with #1, but skipped with #2 and #3. Other than that, we're reading lots of fun books, doing a tiny bit of math and handwriting and phonics, and letting her tag along in science, history, and art when she wants to.

I'm starting my last Ker. :( My turning 5 in 11 days Ker. :( My baby. *sniff sniff*. I've been thinking about the very same things...how am I going to do this differently? We've been using MFW K, loosely, this year. I will continue. I do love MFW K. When we are finished, I'd like to do FIAR along with the 3 Rs. The Reading Lesson for reading and BOB books. Miquon for math along with MEP (either Reception or Year 1). He is rather advanced already so I wonder if Reception would bore him? Lots of reading. Lots of playing. NOT a ton of writing, but a lot of fine motor activities to build those muscles in prep for writing. Using AAS tiles to build words. I'm thinking out loud now. He's my last Ker. I want it to be a good year.

If I could redo K with my oldest I'd mostly take the year off. Especially from formal math. He got through phonics and then I started Latin and I would do that again and I would work on his handwriting through copywork of his own choice from his own reading but I would do math only through games and as it came up in life (he was advanced yet hated formal math). He already had many passions and a love of books so if I was doing it over I would go with his flow rather than try to follow a structured curriculum for history, science, etc. I would read more books with him. Good ones that we really wanted to read.

I have two now that are around about K and they are different children. These two want formal math so for them I focus on helping them towards reading fluency and I sit with them to do as much formal math each day as they like and a little daily work on learning to write and besides that I leave them to play or I bring them alongside me in my daily chores or I sit down with them to read good books together, etc.

I've graduated 2 boys. With my tutoring students I get to start K over and over and over again. What an awesome experience this has been for me!

#1 cater to YOU not the student. TWEAK for the student but don't overhaul. I am a minimalist in all areas of my life and was trying to teach with materials that were too...just too everything. They didn't fit ME and even if they matched the student, the student wasn't able to reap the benefits when I wasn't teaching them well.

#2 I have been gradually putting together a 6 year curriculum that I'll stretch over 9 years (K-8) for students that need it, or on the other hand compact into 4 years if a student is capable of moving quickly. But it helped me to create a 6 level complete package that fits MY teaching style and then tweak as needed.

Really think about who you are as a PERSON. Forget which books impressed you the most. Often we are most impressed by authors who are completely unlike ourselves. What 3 adjectives describe YOU.

I could tell me all about me, and what works for me, but unless you are a minimalist, then none of it will be helpful.

Hmm, apparently I'm the only one who doesn't think K should be just the 3 R's. My child certainly learned readin', 'ritin', and 'rithmatic, but it was the extras that instilled a love of learning. Next time, I'll be doing pretty much exactly what I did with the first.

With a 5yo...Spalding for all literacy-related skills (but very, very gentle Spalding); nothing formal for arithmetic; KONOS Vol. 1. And even KONOS would be very, very gentle (it's already gentle, but I'd be even more relaxed with it).

I've graduated 2 boys. With my tutoring students I get to start K over and over and over again. What an awesome experience this has been for me!

#1 cater to YOU not the student. TWEAK for the student but don't overhaul. I am a minimalist in all areas of my life and was trying to teach with materials that were too...just too everything. They didn't fit ME and even if they matched the student, the student wasn't able to reap the benefits when I wasn't teaching them well.

#2 I have been gradually putting together a 6 year curriculum that I'll stretch over 9 years (K-8) for students that need it, or on the other hand compact into 4 years if a student is capable of moving quickly. But it helped me to create a 6 level complete package that fits MY teaching style and then tweak as needed.

Really think about who you are as a PERSON. Forget which books impressed you the most. Often we are most impressed by authors who are completely unlike ourselves. What 3 adjectives describe YOU.

I could tell me all about me, and what works for me, but unless you are a minimalist, then none of it will be helpful.

Great advice!

I would relax. We'd have more fun educational outings, I'd do more read-alouds, and we might include Life of Fred in that (wasn't out yet when DD was in K). More art and science projects and formal reading instruction only if DD was interested, probably with Hooked on Phonics and Starfall.

I would start K over w/Memoria Press complete package I think. I never had anything I loved for K. I have materials I loved for 1st and up, and I jumped into those slowly in K when they were ready, and/or just taught the skills I needed to on my own, using internet, library, and the free time I used to have more of back then. It would be nice to not have to research all of those fun units and things on my own so much and look for the best how to teach alphabet ideas and such, just because I am now busy in other outside things of my own and busy w/the older kids' lessons. I don't have the time I had before to be so free flow in our days. I would need something open and go to teach the lessons. I didn't need that before. I could teach letters and numbers and reading throughout the day because my day revolved around my preschoolers then.

Then I would jump into WTM 1st grade. I love the rotations so much better in WTM than in MP, though I still incorporate several MP products as the years go by.

Hmm, apparently I'm the only one who doesn't think K should be just the 3 R's. My child certainly learned readin', 'ritin', and 'rithmatic, but it was the extras that instilled a love of learning. Next time, I'll be doing pretty much exactly what I did with the first.

Speaking for myself (but likely others), it is not so much ONLY doing the 3 Rs, but only doing the 3 Rs formally. Having a curriculum for every subject can cause a lot of pressure to get through more than the child is ready for (not just academically, but developmentally). I think the people who advise sticking to the 3 Rs are just more conscious of keeping learning more interest-based in the other areas rather than rigid.

I personally go back and forth. I have seen that my son has his own timeline and if I just follow his lead, we will get very far. So we do math every day, but I use a variety of resources and work on concepts that he seems ready for instead of just going straight through one program at the pace of a lesson per day. We are simultaneously practicing writing numbers, addition & subtraction with manipulatives, and place value. We do handwriting every day, but that can be just filling up a piece of paper with letters of his choice, or spelling words, or copying his dictation.

However, there's also a side of me that craves some predictability and structure - I would like to be able to get through American History, for example. I would like to cover habitats, flowers, and space ... so I have chosen curricula for history and science that basically give me an outline, and I can flesh it out as we go, depending on his interest & ability. I'm trying to reconcile my own bias towards objective-driven education, and my son's need for creative, customized learning.

For most kids I wouldn't limit it to the 3 R's either...but I do think focusing on the 3 (or 4) R's is of utmost importance. I believe each child is different as far as additional subjects. I believe in being literature rich at this age. History and science should be fun, and not "formal" but more enjoyable.

I know this is not popular opinion here, but I am quite against just the 3Rs in K. I think we homeschool for a reason, and while yes, some children cannot handle more than the three R's, not at least reading good books on history, science, and literature is not "best" for most.

I agree with both sides. With my oldest, I spent far too much time on formal curricula. With my now 5yo, we spend 10 minutes per day on handwriting and reading, and then we do lots of other informal stuff--spontaneous math, acting out history, read alouds, etc.

Well I am busy with K now... and I think I need to add a lot of physical activity in (my DD needs it) and more games. I think loads of reading to them is important and then the 3Rs need to be taught, but I don't think there is any one programme that is needed for this - in fact maybe no programme is needed and I think with my second child I will probably just use books we have rather than a particular curriculum. I do think K must be more than just the 3Rs as this is the part of homeschooling my DD has liked best. I also wish that we could have even more field trips than we do have.

I know this is not popular opinion here, but I am quite against just the 3Rs in K.

Personally, I don't believe in "kindergarten." I believe in teaching children what they are capable of learning based on their ages and their abilities and their interests. That they might be "kindergarten" age is irrelevant to me (other than telling grandparents and Sunday school teachers what "grade" the dc are "in").

I think we homeschool for a reason, and while yes, some children cannot handle more than the three R's, not at least reading good books on history, science, and literature is not "best" for most.

I'm not sure that anyone is advocating not touching history, science or literature in some way. I think most are saying that learning to read and do arithmetic are the most important.

I love this. I am a minimalist, too. So what do you do? I am also very curious.

My plan is to put pretty much everything else away and focus on just these resources to see how it goes. Planning more than I can finish, does no one any good.

Main Curriculum

ORIGINAL Doubleday hardback What Your _ Grader Needs to Know series grades 1-6. The covers are sponge painted and there are no children on them. There are not pre-school or kindergarten books in the original series.

How is My _ Grader Doing in School? series grades 1-6. Unschooling like ideas for the 3Rs.

Phonics and Handwriting

Alpha-Phonics

First Readers Anthology published by Don Potter

Don Potter's free Alpha-Phonics lesson plans phonograms, flashcards and new cursive program

The Large Print American Heritage Dictionary (matches DP phonograms)

Spelling, Grammar and Composition

Spelling Plus

Dictation Resource Book

Writer's Express

Write On! by Karen Newell

Writer's Toolbox by Nancy Loewen

Elecution, Comprehension, Vocabulary and Literature

McGuffey's Eclectic Readers (Primer- book 5)

McGuffey's Audios from audible.com or CBD

Reading and Thinking Book 1

Clutter-Free Classroom Genre Kit for student chosen library books.

Math

Simply Charlotte Mason Mathematics

How to Tutor and How to Tutor workbooks

Arithmetic Made Simple

Ray's Arithmetic and Strayer-Upton as problem banks only

Geography, Art, Music

National Geographic Beginner's Atlas

R&S Homelands Around the World as a read aloud

Draw Write Now (especially the geography and figure drawing)

Using Color in Your Art adapted to Prang 64 crayons

Ed Emberley's Funprint Drawing Book (simple facial expressions)

Let's Draw Happy People

Jumbo Book of Music (low income friendly)

French

Berlitz Self Teacher French

Say It Right in French

See it and Say it in French

Bible

GrapeVine Stick Figuring Through the Bible Level 1-2 TM. Drawings only.

NIrV Little Kid's Adventure Bible

NIrV Little Kid's audios

The Easy Fake Hymn Book

Yesterday's Classics ebooks

Heritage History ebooks

Free and $0.99 Whispersync audiobooks from audible.com

Magic School Bus videos

VanCleave's Science Project Workbook

Multi-volume and single subject encyclopedias

Thesaurus

Quality mechanical pencils

Prang 64 Crayons (I buy mine from Rainbow Resource)

School Smart Cursive Notebook Paper

Simply Poly Binders (only shown in colors here, but I buy clear ones)

Teacher Training:

TWTM first edition 1999

Guide to American Christian Education

Hearing and Reading, Telling and Writing

African Waldorf Pdfs. Christian and low income friendly.

Eclectic Manual of Methods

Train Up a Child Amish educational practices.

I'm not sure that anyone is advocating not touching history, science or literature in some way. I think most are saying that learning to read and do arithmetic are the most important.

I am not saying that anyone is saying this, but I assure you that many people read "Just stick to the 3R's" and assume they are saying the other subjects are not important. And there are plenty who do believe this. I know many.

In the same way, just because someone says they do history and science in K, many assume it is at the detriment of phonics and or math.

Neither is a correct assumption MOST of the time.

Just because I believe in content subjects for "K age," I agree that learning to read and do basic math are the most important things for that age.

Not sure this is super helpful to the OP, so I will graciously duck out now. ;)

I finally got OM Kindy used a year and a half ago, and used it with DD. I had been lusting over it through two other kids, but never bought it. I had used Sonlight (not sure which one it was...Exploring God's World?) with DS1.. and Right Start A as well. The stories were just wonderful, and all of the kids loved them. I also used Reading Eggs, which she adored. (Oh and we also used HWT. I have all the stuff...so that's why I use it. There are things I like and don't like about the program.)

Honestly, I'm planning to do something similar for DS3 when he's ready. Not sure if we'll do Right Start A again or Miquon... or ??? But basically, lots of reading, lots of art, lots of fun. :)

If I could go back in time I would concentrate more on the 3 R's, but worry less. I would chill about science and history and just read fun books. We did read a lot of picture books and I wouldn't change that. I would push less and worry about what others thought less. But that's me.

I would teach him to read gently, do some handwriting, and a *simple* math workbook. I would not do school when he wasn't interested (though I'd encourage by asking "wanna read me a story?" etc), not push past the point when he is not interested or getting too wiggly.... never do anything that produces anything close to tears. Keep it casual for K, keep it fun and interesting. That's the best thing I did with my others that I didn't do with my 1st. :closedeyes: My worst homeschool memories are of my oldest crying out of frustration and my memory of being super frustrated as well. :crying: Wish I could turn back the clock and say, "Don't worry about it, hunny. Go play!"

My literature-based geography(read a book, mark the map)

What a cool idea! I want to do this.

I'm about to start my 4th kindergartener....we're going a lot more gently this time around in terms of academics, but a lot harder on developmental stuff. We're doing a lot of the visual perceptual skill building and physical development stuff that I did with #1, but skipped with #2 and #3. Other than that, we're reading lots of fun books, doing a tiny bit of math and handwriting and phonics, and letting her tag along in science, history, and art when she wants to.

Tell me more about the bolded. What are you doing? Suggestions?

Not sure this is super helpful to the OP, so I will graciously duck out now. ;)

You don't need to duck out. We're just sharing our different points of view, which will be helpful to more people than just the OP. Such is the nature of a public forum. :cheers2:

Edited to fix an amazing typo. :D

I have one entering K this year too and am trying to figure out what to do. I am planning right now to do OM K, MEP reception, and mid year possibly add in AAR pre She listens in on everything else with the older boys so just focusing on having fun and learning our alphabet :) I know I will be busy with them.

I still also have my p4/5 sl core and I will read through those books again with the family. I actually started last night.

I know that I need to really match the choice to the type of student he will be,

Actually, if I had it to do over again, I would spend more time thinking about what kind of teacher I am, and getting suitable materials. If the materials are ones that I can use effectively, most of the time I can adapt them to the type of learner, or I can look for a compromise: something designed to be used the way I need to use it, as well as meeting my kids' needs.

I spent too much time focusing on trying to figure out what kind of learner a child was, and when I didn't know I defaulted to things that would have worked for me as a learner--rather than really thinking about what I as teacher needed.