Menu

about to call the local public school,and want to throw up

ktgrok

My son is in 7th. He has been homeschooled for 3 years now. He wants to go back to public school. He has wanted that for 2 years now. I hate the idea. HATE it. I love having him home, and seeing him during the day. When he is in school he's gone most of the day, then playing with his friends the rest of it. I love the bond he is building with his siblings by being home with them. I know he is getting a more well rounded education at home. We fight, but also have developed a closer relationship. But, he's going to be 14 this summer. I have to admit that at 14 he is getting to the point where I have to let him make some decisions for himself. He's done it my way the last few years. I guess it does seem fair to let him have his turn now. We already planned on letting him go to public school for 9th. His father, my ex, likes the idea of him having a year to adjust in 8th before things show up on transcripts for college. So I guess I need to call and find out what is involved in registering him for next year, what kinds of classes he qualifies for, etc. But it makes me want to throw up.

I get that most of this isn't about him, it's about me. My identity as a homeschooling parent. I LOVE homeschooling. Hell, I have nonrefundable tickets to the convention in a month. I've ordered materials. I run a homeschool group for middle school students. So yeah, on a selfish note, I hate the idea of him being back in public school. But...that's not a good enough reason to keep him home.

GRR. I am NOT wanting to deal with PTA and schedules and CRAP. I HATE public school stuff.

blech.

I'm sorry you are feeling so negative about him going to ps next year. My two started ps in 9th grade and the transition for them has gone very well. The love school, respect their teachers, and have maintained their own values. There have been very few negatives. So, I am no longer a home schooler, but I am still their mom and that is really enough.

I enjoyed the 9 years that we homeschooled. Some years were more productive than others, but I really got to know my children and don't regret home schooling them as long as I did. Honestly, it's been wonderful to see that the foundation that we built at work in a classroom setting (the thirst for knowledge, the respect for education overall). It's been nice to hear from teachers and students that both boys are nice, polite and enthusiastic. It kind of vindicates all the work we did together. All those sleepless nights when I worried if they would be prepared, would they fit in, are behind me.

I hope you find peace in you and your child's decision to move on to ps. He will still ask you to help him with homework now and then and you can school him in little bits here and there.

Hugs,

K

Hugs,

Talked to a counselor. He could take gifted language arts, the only gifted class they offer. He can take advanced science and US history based on my say so. He'd need to pass an algebra placement test to get into algebra one...that means covering a lot of ground between now and then. I had thought to finish TT prealgebra at the beginning of next year, then move right into algebra. We started late because we started in Algebra 1, then backed down to prealgebra part way through the year. Also, he broke his back this year, which delayed us due to medical apointments, brief hospital stay, etc. He couldn't even sit up in his chair for about a week after he got home.

He also needs to make strides in writing before then.

I talked to him about public school, and he is now all stressed out about going, and stressed out about not going. Now that it is a possibility he sees all the downsides, plus the stress of being "the new kid". Personally, I thought it was eaiser to be the new kid in 9th, when everyone in that grade is at a new school, than in 8th, but he's not sure it makes a difference. He also doesn't really want to put the effort in to "catch up". He's mad that I "let" him get "behind". I explained that my plan was for him to go back in 9th, and we are on track to do exactly that. He'd be right where he needs to be if we did that.

No matter what, we had a good talk I feel. I think he feels I'm more on his side now, which is important. sigh.

I am so sorry that you are facing this. I understand how you feel. My youngest wants to try high school, which will be at the same time my middle son will go away to college. Losing two at once will be hard for me. As far as your son is concerned, I think the best thing you can do is to insulate him from the big picture of how much work he will have to do to catch up so he doesn't feel overwhelmed. You worry about how to get him there and he just has to do the next thing. Yes, his workload may increase, but as long as he doesn't have to feel the stress of being "behind" then he will probably be easier to live with. There is plenty of time for him to start taking responsibility for the big picture. 8th grade is not it.

My youngest was adamant about going to school for Grade 6. I laid it all out for him - basically what math he'd need to cover and how much reading and writing he'd have to do each day. He surprised me with his positive, mature attitude about it, for the most part. There were days he got whiny and resistant. Thankfully, I was able to stay cool (most of the time). He would often go to his room to cool off and then come back down and do the work, usually with an apology!

So, if your ds really wants to go to school in 8th grade, he needs to suck it up. Make sure you are firm with him that you will not send him if he's not ready. If he won't do the work to get caught up - no excuses, either he does it or he doesn't - then he's on your timeline to spend 8th grade at home and go to school in 9th grade.

My ds waffled and stressed about it, but I supported him and stayed firm about his school work. And, in August, he went to school for the first time. He is doing great and his experience has validated all those years of home schooling, for both of us!

One more "compromise" position to consider:

My dd is in 7th grade and will go to public high school in 9th grade. In Oregon she is allowed to take elective classes in a public school. She took band last year in 6th grade and is taking band and science now in 7th. She'll do band and science again in 8th grade. She has been loving it and I think it will make her transition to full-time public school easier. Especially being in band--she already has an activity and a group she belongs to. She's an introvert and not real great at making friends, but at least she has a lot of acquaintances now. If they allow that where you are, you can ask your son if he's interested in some public school, some home school. Would give you more time to get caught up on all core subjects before high school.

One more "compromise" position to consider:

My dd is in 7th grade and will go to public high school in 9th grade. In Oregon she is allowed to take elective classes in a public school. She took band last year in 6th grade and is taking band and science now in 7th. She'll do band and science again in 8th grade. She has been loving it and I think it will make her transition to full-time public school easier. Especially being in band--she already has an activity and a group she belongs to. She's an introvert and not real great at making friends, but at least she has a lot of acquaintances now. If they allow that where you are, you can ask your son if he's interested in some public school, some home school. Would give you more time to get caught up on all core subjects before high school.

We actually discussed that option, as I felt it would be a good one. He thinks it will mark him as "weird" so doesn't want to do it. I also offered a local private school that does a 2 day a week program, a magnet school, and a few other things. In him mind there are two options, full time public school next year, or full time homeschool. Did I mention he has Aspergers, and is very black and white?

Currently he wants a time machine to go back to 5th grade and not be homeschooled.

Can you get him to take 1 or 2 classes at the ps? I know that you can take up to two here as long as there is room.

Both of my boys took French as 8th graders at the local high school. Other 8th graders were bused in and the other kids just assumed they were 8th graders from a neighboring middle school. Their awkwardness was on par with the awkwardness that most 8th graders display. Transitioning from middle school to high school is tough no matter whether you're transitioning from ps or home school. I felt it really helped in the transition.

I will be the opposing person here. Yes, I do agree that going on 14 is a good time for them to start making some decisions in their life, but not major decisions like this. Only his parents should be making those kinds of decisions for him at this point in his life. That is just my opinion though. I know my daughter was definitely not ready to make major decisions in her life at the age of 13. Even if she thought she was.

I will be the opposing person here. Yes, I do agree that going on 14 is a good time for them to start making some decisions in their life, but not major decisions like this. Only his parents should be making those kinds of decisions for him at this point in his life. That is just my opinion though. I know my daughter was definitely not ready to make major decisions in her life at the age of 13. Even if she thought she was.

You know I'm not going to let you be alone, Luanne! :D

I think he's too young to make this decision on his own, too -- I was assuming that Katie felt it was best for him, but was still reluctant to make the final decision.

Now that I know that he has Asperger's and that he's behind in a few subjects, I would probably wait until 9th grade to consider ps. In addition to the academics potentially being very stressful for him if he's not up to grade level, the kids are already in their own little cliques in 8th grade, so it could be difficult for him to find friends (especially if he's at all socially awkward,) while high school might even the playing field a bit if kids are going there from different middle schools.

One other question to consider -- Katie, what will you do if he starts ps, and two weeks later says he hates it and wants to come back home?

This depends on the kid, though. My oldest decided at 11 she wanted to go to middle school ps for 6th grade. I knew she understood what she was asking and knew how different and difficult it could be. She has risen to the challenge and done amazingly well. I truly believe if I had not let her go it would have damaged our relationship and she wouldn't be as happy as she is now.

OP, the beginning is always difficult. Oldest had to take a math placement as well. She (and I) both worried so much before the test, but it wasn't too difficult. I hope it all works out!

Can't you just wait til he starts HS? We plan to give our dc the choice at that age, though I really hope they choose to continue homeschooling, and maybe utilize the school part-time (sports).

I don't really see the need to spend an entire year prepping for high school. I remember high school being a completely different environment than middle school (so much larger) and it was scary at first but we all settled in after a few weeks.

I agree. 14 is too young and an adult has more long term wisdom about what is best. I am very anti school though, so to me this is not a neutral decision.

thanks all. Waiting until 9th was the original plan. What has me reconsidering, and allowing earlier, is our relationship. If you are familiar with Aspergers you will know how they can obsess on things. For the past two years he has been obsessing about wanting to go back to public school. Our entire relationship has been framed, in his eyes, by my refusing to allow it. We are at the point where him having to make the decision himself, and own his choice, maybe be best for him, rather than continuing to have him make this the bogeyman of our relationship that he constantly falls back on.

As for if he wants to come home, he would be welcome in an instant. But he would be home for the year - no going back and forth and back and forth.

:grouphug: :grouphug: I wouldn't want a child to go back in 8th grade but it would make a difference in our school district. Our home taught friends that went back in high school had a harder time proving themselves and getting the classes they wanted.

As for if he wants to come home, he would be welcome in an instant. But he would be home for the year - no going back and forth and back and forth.

Katie--

I don't know if this is true everywhere in our area, just at certain schools or not at all, but a friend of mine who put her kiddo into public school after homeschooling was informed that he would have to stay in school for some period of time (maybe a few months?) before he would be "allowed" to return to homeschooling. And, ditto on a return to public school after a stint homeschooling, that there would be some kind of waiting period preventing exactly that kind of back and forth thing.

For what it's worth, my son went through a phase at 13/14 during which he was convinced he wanted to go to high school. He'd never been anything but homeschooled, but he felt the local performing arts magnet program calling his name. We talked it over and decided, for some of the same reasons you've mentioned, that we'd let him give it a try, with the understanding that we'd pull him out so fast his head would spin if we had even a hint that he wasn't taking the academics seriously or was getting into trouble of any kind. We also made it clear that school would require a much bigger committment of his time and energy than homeschooling did, meaning that his outside activities would likely be greatly curtailed, and that much of the time, energy and money we were devoting to supporting said activities would likely have to be transferred to school. So, his lfe would change in big ways across the board, not just educationally.

We attended a magnet fair and the school information session and got as far as putting in the application and scheduling his audition before the reality of the possibility began to sink in for him. Just about the time I was starting to adjust to the idea and get excited about the opportunities he'd have and the freedom I'd have not needing to be home full time, he turned on a dime. We ended up cancelling the audition just a couple of days in advance, and he's never looked back. In fact, even when we reached the breaking point this past fall and I attempted to "expel him" from homeschooling, he fought tooth and nail to avoid public school. He was not initially happy with the idea of so much FLVS, but when it became clear the expensive hybrid ballet pre-professional/K12 program he wanted was not an option (because we refused to reward him for being so difficult by investing that much money in it, even if they would have accepted him), he nearly begged for FLVS over brick and mortar.

Don't get me wrong: All of his closest friends are in public schools now, each in a different one. And all of them are thriving and relatively happy with their choices. I made no attempt to demonize school in general or the local public schools specifically. But we did do our best to make sure he understood the decision as a game-changer from which he would not be able to bounce back on a whim.

I hope you guys work out something that meets your son's needs and with which you can feel or get comfortable. Again, honestly, all of my son's friends who are in various public high schools are having good and sometimes great experiences. So, I do believe there are wonderful opportunities available in our area.

thanks all. Waiting until 9th was the original plan. What has me reconsidering, and allowing earlier, is our relationship. If you are familiar with Aspergers you will know how they can obsess on things. For the past two years he has been obsessing about wanting to go back to public school. Our entire relationship has been framed, in his eyes, by my refusing to allow it. We are at the point where him having to make the decision himself, and own his choice, maybe be best for him, rather than continuing to have him make this the bogeyman of our relationship that he constantly falls back on.

Well, no wonder you're pulling your hair out over this. Two years of whining is a LONG time! :eek:

Has he specifically told you what he thinks will be so great about public school? Does he already have friends in the school? Is there any way he can attend classes for a day so he can see what it's really like to sit in classrooms for hour after hour? (It's very easy to forget just how long the school day is, when you haven't been inside a school for a long time -- he might find that he hates it!)

Can you enroll him for the rest of this year, so you can both see what PS is like? That way you will know for sure what you will be doing for 8th grade and have the summer to plan for it. It sounds kind of crazy but the not knowing for sure what will happen for 8th grade would stress me out more.

My son is in 7th. He has been homeschooled for 3 years now. He wants to go back to public school. He has wanted that for 2 years now. I hate the idea. HATE it. I love having him home, and seeing him during the day. When he is in school he's gone most of the day, then playing with his friends the rest of it. I love the bond he is building with his siblings by being home with them. I know he is getting a more well rounded education at home. We fight, but also have developed a closer relationship. But, he's going to be 14 this summer. I have to admit that at 14 he is getting to the point where I have to let him make some decisions for himself. He's done it my way the last few years. I guess it does seem fair to let him have his turn now. We already planned on letting him go to public school for 9th. His father, my ex, likes the idea of him having a year to adjust in 8th before things show up on transcripts for college. So I guess I need to call and find out what is involved in registering him for next year, what kinds of classes he qualifies for, etc. But it makes me want to throw up.

I get that most of this isn't about him, it's about me. My identity as a homeschooling parent. I LOVE homeschooling. Hell, I have nonrefundable tickets to the convention in a month. I've ordered materials. I run a homeschool group for middle school students. So yeah, on a selfish note, I hate the idea of him being back in public school. But...that's not a good enough reason to keep him home.

GRR. I am NOT wanting to deal with PTA and schedules and CRAP. I HATE public school stuff.

blech.

Do NOT let a 14 year old make the decision; he is not qualified to know what is best for him. I've commented before on letting this very issue being my worst parental decision and the one I wish I could undo. YOU make the decision only if that environment is best for him. Remember, public school is all about the environment and the influences. The education could be obtained anywhere by a motivated student.

You've mentioned this a few times, and I always post about our experience. Just be aware that it solves no problems and brings multitudes more that you could never imagine. Middle school is the worst of all, according to all reports.

Well, no wonder you're pulling your hair out over this. Two years of whining is a LONG time! :eek:

Has he specifically told you what he thinks will be so great about public school? Does he already have friends in the school? Is there any way he can attend classes for a day so he can see what it's really like to sit in classrooms for hour after hour? (It's very easy to forget just how long the school day is, when you haven't been inside a school for a long time -- he might find that he hates it!)

Yes. Good point. He can do a shadow day at any time in most schools.

Yes, mine was convinced she was ready to make major decisions at 13. Wrong.

He wants to see "friends" and be "normal". And to not be with me all day every day. (which is a little hurtful, but I get it). I explained that there really isn't time to socialize. And offered to have him shadow a student for a day, but he said, and I quote, "I'm not going to stalk someone!" Which cracked me up, but even after explaining what shadowing meant he said no. I'm going to introduce the idea again, as "sit in on some classes" instead of "shadowing" and see how it goes over.

Oh, and he does know some kids in public school. However, most are a grade below him, and I don't think any would be in advanced/gifted classes. So although once he got there he'd probably find some people he knew back in elementary school when he was in public school, it is still nerve wracking.

Just thought of this--

Are you trying to get him in the gifted class and the advanced classes because of the "quality" of the peers there? I don't really understand, because you say he's behind. Wouldn't it be better to just let him go in at the level he is? Especially if he will be making a social adjustment, as well as just readjusting to brick and mortar school itself (the schedule, homework, need to hold questions, difficulty of getting clarification, advocating for ones' self...), I would want the academics to be at his current level, and ramp up in 9th grade.

And I really do understand. I let dd go back to school. I sorta wish I hadn't, and I certainly spent a great deal of time mourning the loss of homeschooling. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. She's done well, tho.

Just thought of this--

Are you trying to get him in the gifted class and the advanced classes because of the "quality" of the peers there? I don't really understand, because you say he's behind. Wouldn't it be better to just let him go in at the level he is? Especially if he will be making a social adjustment, as well as just readjusting to brick and mortar school itself (the schedule, homework, need to hold questions, difficulty of getting clarification, advocating for ones' self...), I would want the academics to be at his current level, and ramp up in 9th grade.

And I really do understand. I let dd go back to school. I sorta wish I hadn't, and I certainly spent a great deal of time mourning the loss of homeschooling. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. She's done well, tho.

Yes, partly is the peer group. Partly it is because that is the best way to get into Honors classes in 9th grade. He will be applying to an Honors academy at the highschool, so will need the transcripts/teacher reccomendations to get in, if he is in public for 8th. As far as him being behind, it is just in math and writing. He's a science whiz, and it will be Physical Science, which will partially be a repeat of what we've done this year. Social studies he will be fine in. He's very bright and a really good reader...fast and great comprehension skills. I think he probably could jump right into the writing and do ok, but not spectacular. Plus his confidence in it needs to be built up. So we are diving into IEW and going to get as far as we can with that. As for math..sigh. I think we will be skipping around a bit to cover the topics he hasn't covered yet, so he can do well on the placement exam. I'd so much rather keep him home, doing TT, but it is what it is.

Just thought of this--

I made the mistake of letting the guidance counselor put my oldest in ALL advanced classes. You need to sit down with the guidance counselor and discuss your son's strengths and weaknesses. I know that my kids' counselor just equated homeschoolers with advanced in everything (I know, I should be thankful), but my kids don't fit into that stereotype.

Honor's English ended up being a very frustrating class because of the lack of structure in the writing assignments. He got C's and very little feedback on how to improve. I did not like the teacher. This year he took regular English and got an A+ and the teacher recommended he take AP English Comp next year. She taught in a very structured manner (similar to Format Writing) and he flourished.

Honor's World History ended up being a weeding class for the AP WH teacher. It was a sink or swim class and I wished I known it was. He ended up with a C+ in that class as well. Very frustrated because the teacher was not helpful in his critiques of the work my son did. DS was flying blind. This year, he took regular World History 2 and is getting an A+ -- he's been recommended for and taking AP US History next year.

Honor's Geometry went well and so did Honor's Earth Science. We lightly covered science in our home school over the years and yet my ds loves high school science and absorbs the material like a sponge. This year he took Honor's Bio and love it too.

He took French 2&3 (block classes) and finished with As. Again, the bit of Latin we did over the years and his ability to memorize paid off.

Sorry for sharing so much. I just want you to know that you might be able to work closely with the high school guidance counselor to play to your son's strengths. A good guidance counselor wants your son to succeed almost as much as you do.

BTW, My youngest really enjoys the structure of high school (time management, grades) and because of what I learned with my oldest, I made sure to get him into the appropriate level of classes and he has had a great freshman year. I think some kids thrive on the structure of it. My youngest checks his grades everyday, goes to tutoring every chance he gets and has set up his own study schedule. He loves taking responsibility for his schooling (he just turned 15). It has been a very good experience for him to see that fruits of his labor (grades). I'm wondering if your Aspie would feel the same way.

Best of luck,

K

Yes, partly is the peer group. Partly it is because that is the best way to get into Honors classes in 9th grade. He will be applying to an Honors academy at the highschool, so will need the transcripts/teacher reccomendations to get in, if he is in public for 8th. As far as him being behind, it is just in math and writing. He's a science whiz, and it will be Physical Science, which will partially be a repeat of what we've done this year. Social studies he will be fine in. He's very bright and a really good reader...fast and great comprehension skills. I think he probably could jump right into the writing and do ok, but not spectacular. Plus his confidence in it needs to be built up. So we are diving into IEW and going to get as far as we can with that. As for math..sigh. I think we will be skipping around a bit to cover the topics he hasn't covered yet, so he can do well on the placement exam. I'd so much rather keep him home, doing TT, but it is what it is.

OIC, thanks for clarifying. Y'know, IIWY, I might go ahead and do as you plan, but re-evaluate at the end of the year and, if you think he would still not quite be ready for the gifted language arts and math, I'd put him in the regular class. The idea is that, if he's making pretty easy A's there, they WILL recommend him for the Honors program in 9th. If he struggles in the honors, they will NOT recommend him. It's a pleasure to move a kid up, and teachers enjoy doing so. BUT, you do know your child best so YMMV. Also, you may be using curricula that are actually more advanced than they are using in 7th, so there's the chance what may look like behind to you is really just on target in the ps curriculum. Have you looked at the Program of Study or whatever your district calls the list of skills for writing and math? Just a suggestion.

It's hard, tho, because those honors classes can fill up fast--we are pulling dd from school early this year for our sabbatical, and the number one thing on my mind at the moment is to get an assurance that her honors classes will still be available next year when we get back, as they may disenroll her.

So, have you talked with a school guidance counselor? She'd know the best way to go about it all.

Tons of advice--sorry if I'm adding to stress or anything.

Tons of hugs, too--I know it's hard.

So it's more about him wanting to have a bit more control over his own life, than it is over absolutely wanting to go to public school? That actually makes a lot of sense.

I think you're handling the whole situation very well, Katie.

It seems that way. Which DOES make a heck of a lot more sense to me. I actually apolgized to him that I didn't understand that earlier. He seems relaxed now, and we are getting along better than EVER before. So if nothing else, that is good. He sees that I am respecting him as the young man he is trying to become, and that makes things so much better. We actually discussed some options for a "Banned Book" study next year for English, if he wants. He seemed interested. So we shall see. He may very well go back to school, but I think either way we are going to be ok.

It seems that way. Which DOES make a heck of a lot more sense to me. I actually apolgized to him that I didn't understand that earlier. He seems relaxed now, and we are getting along better than EVER before. So if nothing else, that is good. He sees that I am respecting him as the young man he is trying to become, and that makes things so much better. We actually discussed some options for a "Banned Book" study next year for English, if he wants. He seemed interested. So we shall see. He may very well go back to school, but I think either way we are going to be ok.

I can feel the difference between your original post and this one -- you seem so relieved! :)