Menu

Small space/minimalism people--did you see this article in the NY Times?

Jane in NC

Entrepreneur lives in a 420 sq. ft. studio. While most of us are not going to exchange our larger homes for his tiny space, his comments on possessions and happiness are worth reading.

Link.

I like material things as much as anyone. I studied product design in school. I’m into gadgets, clothing and all kinds of things. But my experiences show that after a certain point, material objects have a tendency to crowd out the emotional needs they are meant to support.

Excellent article! I have often dreamed of the day when dh and I have a small apartment which we use as a base home. From there we would travel to spend time with each of the boys who, in my dream, would be living and working in some exotic far away place :)

I think there are seasons which cause us to choose one lifestyle over another. The season of raising and homeschooling my boys called for a large amount of land and a decently sized home where they could grow, be loud, hunt, hike, fish, etc. But I'm finding that as they are leaving home, the necessity for that lifestyle is diminishing. It's a good life now, but I can see it changing soon.

I like his thoughts, but want to point out that 420 sq ft for a single person (he did not mention a family) is not really minimalist. It is pretty much the average living space per person in my home country, and much more than in many countries in the world. The first apartment DH and I moved into together had about that size; it was a comfortable size and allowed entertaining.

Although I'm totally on board with the concept of living more simply, smaller, for some reason, that article really pushed my buttons. Too many words, cluttered. Ironically. ;-)

I heard an interesting piece yesterday, though, about "apodments" in Seattle — the zoning issues were not something I'd been aware of or had thought about. http://kuow.org/post/look-inside-micro-apartment

i am all for limiting the amount of stuff we have. I have been working on dh for years now. That man is the poster child for a hoarders show. When I can get the clutter under control I feel so much better. Unfortunately my kids have hoarder tendencies, too. I doubt I would ever live in a tiny apartment because I do like some breathing room but I can certainly see downsizing once the kids are out of the house.

I heard an interesting piece yesterday, though, about "apodments" in Seattle — the zoning issues were not something I'd been aware of or had thought about. http://kuow.org/post...micro-apartment

That was interesting, Nicole. It almost seems like the "apodments" are glorified dorms with the shared kitchen. When you think about it, many singles who moved to towns and cities in the 19th century lived in boarding houses, a respectable business for a woman to own. In fact, one of my friends had a widowed aunt who ran a boarding house in DC in the '50's and '60's, renting to Congressmen and staffers.

I like his thoughts, but want to point out that 420 sq ft for a single person (he did not mention a family) is not really minimalist. It is pretty much the average living space per person my my home country, and much more than in many countries in the world. The first apartment DH and I moved into together had about that size; it was a comfortable size and allowed entertaining.

Yes. This article mentions that the recommendation for a three bedroom home in London is 1033 square feet, but the average new house in England is 86 square feet less than that, so 950 square feet for a three bedroom home, giving 315 square feet per person if only one person is sleeping in each room.

Laura

That was interesting, Nicole. It almost seems like the "apodments" are glorified dorms with the shared kitchen. When you think about it, many singles who moved to towns and cities in the 19th century lived in boarding houses, a respectable business for a woman to own. In fact, one of my friends had a widowed aunt who ran a boarding house in DC in the '50's and '60's, renting to Congressmen and staffers.

Yes! I always wondered what happened to boarding houses. When I was in college, I met a dear older gentleman at church who loved to tell the story of meeting his wife. He was a young teacher at a school way out in the boonies, and he rented a room across the street from a boarding house. He was provided with breakfast and dinner by the family he lived with, and then he'd go across the street for lunch with the respectable ladies at the boarding house. That's where he met Marie, who sang in the church choir — he wasn't a Methodist then, but started going to that church to see her. (He always giggled at that part.) I found out after he'd died that he'd not just been a teacher all those years, but he was superintendent of schools here in town, and it was under his leadership that the schools had become integrated in the 60s. His legacy was the way that he brought the community together during that time, rather than tearing the community apart.

It seems like in Seattle, with the shared kitchens, apodments give people an opportunity to come together as a community in a way that single-dwelling homes just don't. The way we live has changed so radically in the past not-so-many decades; it's easy to forget that we did live closely, sharing meals, etc.

In London, where accommodation is expensive, young professionals usually share houses, often with strangers. Is this different from the 'apodment' idea? Husband is currently living in our London flat with two flatmates, who are strangers. They share the kitchen, sitting room and bathroom, spending as much time together as they want.

Laura

Did you see the guy's apartment?

http://www.treehugge...-apartment.html

Nice, and well thought out - but really, all those fold-out/pull-out custom designed things are already a luxury that is not minimalist.

Our apartment of the same size had a normal permanent bed, a normal permanent desk, a regular dining table, a regular small kitchen, a shower in the kitchen (and a big tiled coal stove that took up space).

It was furnished with cast-offs, not fancy stuff specifically designed to make small spaces seem bigger.

I give him that he lives in a not-so-large apartment. Aside from that, nothing about him is minimalist.

Nice - but really, all those fold-out/pull-out custom designed things are already a luxury that is not minimalist.

Our apartment of the same size had a normal permanent bed, a normal permanent desk, a regular dining table, a regular small kitchen, a shower in the kitchen (and a big tiled coal stove that took up space).

It was furnished with cast-offs, not fancy stuff specifically designed to make small spaces seem bigger.

I give him that he lives in a not-so-large apartment. Aside form that, nothing about him is minimalist.

That's so true.

All that minimalism didn't come cheap.

Yes! I always wondered what happened to boarding houses. When I was in college, I met a dear older gentleman at church who loved to tell the story of meeting his wife. He was a young teacher at a school way out in the boonies, and he rented a room across the street from a boarding house. He was provided with breakfast and dinner by the family he lived with, and then he'd go across the street for lunch with the respectable ladies at the boarding house. That's where he met Marie, who sang in the church choir — he wasn't a Methodist then, but started going to that church to see her. (He always giggled at that part.) I found out after he'd died that he'd not just been a teacher all those years, but he was superintendent of schools here in town, and it was under his leadership that the schools had become integrated in the 60s. His legacy was the way that he brought the community together during that time, rather than tearing the community apart.

It seems like in Seattle, with the shared kitchens, apodments give people an opportunity to come together as a community in a way that single-dwelling homes just don't. The way we live has changed so radically in the past not-so-many decades; it's easy to forget that we did live closely, sharing meals, etc.

It was not a boarding house but I did rent a bedroom in a house while in grad school. My landlady rented two bedrooms out and gave us kitchen privileges. It was interesting because the other renters included an Indonesian grad student as well as a German professor who was on sabbatical. We often cooked around each other but often shared our meals.

It is a great arrangement for busy people in high rent areas.

Nice, and well thought out - but really, all those fold-out/pull-out custom designed things are already a luxury that is not minimalist.

I give him that he lives in a not-so-large apartment. Aside from that, nothing about him is minimalist.

I've seen the apartment before and agree. Those items are high end that most people can't afford to multiple-purpose in the way he has done.

We currently have 1100 sf and it's a nice space. All the necessary rooms, but nothing more. I think there is minimalism, the designer way, and minimalism the mindset. The mindset doesn't require fancy furniture.

Also, there is minimalism of the financial mindset. My home is a bargain, but I pay for that by being in a small town with the basic amenities. Nice place, but not the center of cultural or retail happenings. I can afford to stay here as a single parent, 30 minutes away that wouldn't be the case due to higher taxes and rents.

I've seen the apartment before and agree. Those items are high end that most people can't afford to multiple-purpose in the way he has done.

We currently have 1100 sf and it's a nice space. All the necessary rooms, but nothing more. I think there is minimalism, the designer way, and minimalism the mindset. The mindset doesn't require fancy furniture.

I also think that, while it's cool that this guy has all of this multi-purpose stuff and things that fold out of the walls and up from the floor and down from the ceiling (or whatever,) it must get kind of old having to keep putting half of your apartment away every single time you want to eat something or watch TV or go to sleep. It seems that there is effort involved in almost everything this guy does, just to use his apartment.

And for crying out loud, buy a range, buddy! How is it possibly more convenient to pull induction cooktops out of the bottom drawer every single time you want to heat something up in a saucepan? And I know he says you can cook a turkey in his combination microwave/convection oven, but I have seen that oven and it would have to be the World's Tiniest Turkey to fit in that thing.

There's a point at which "minimalist" becomes "stupid," and I think that, in a few cases, the guy in the video has lost sight of true convenience and functionality, just so he can prove that he can conceal everything and give every last surface in his apartment a multitude of uses. Sometimes, it doesn't kill you to let people see that you own a range and a toaster. :rolleyes:

And the "sitting area" in the toilet room was just plain silly. :D

I also think that, while it's cool that this guy has all of this multi-purpose stuff and things that fold out of the walls and up from the floor and down from the ceiling (or whatever,) it must get kind of old having to keep putting half of your apartment away every single time you want to eat something or watch TV or go to sleep. It seems that there is effort involved in almost everything this guy does, just to use his apartment.

My mom moved to Chicago with her best friend as single girls ages ago. They slept on a Murphy bed (shared) in their fourth floor walk up. Obviously this was a long time ago but the norm then.

Yeah, the article you linked shows a place that is over the top but I still liked his piece in the Times. Look, it has spurred conversation which is a good thing.

ETA: Murphy beds always make me think of screwball comedies or the opening scene in An American in Paris!

Addition to the addition: An American in Paris does not have a Murphy bed. If memory serves, Gene Kelly's tiny Paris apartment bed is on pulleys.

My thoughts on this: I'd like to see one of these done (1) on a truly modest budget, not a high-end one, and (2) with a spouse and 2+ children. Minimalist is one thing, but children (and their gear) take up space.

The five of us live, work, homeschool, cook, eat, sleep, and play in less than 750 square feet (less than 70 square meters). We have one bathroom, one table, one closet. We hope to close escrow on another, larger house on Friday. I can't wait to move. It will be great to have two toilets, a table just for homeschooling, and a place to hang our coats.

Micropod Man can come here and assume our mortgage, if he wants another project.

I dunno. It's not like I don't get what he is saying, but doing that as a single person is not a big deal to me. When you live with other people then come talk to me.

This.

I'm already dreading dh's retirement and we live in a large home.

Yes, I want to downsize, but a one bedroom box would not work for the two of us. One of us would end up living in the car :laugh:

And the "sitting area" in the toilet room was just plain silly. :D

Oh this reminds me of the time dh and I were on vacation with ds1. He was still an infant and slept in a portacrib. But he could not fall asleep if anyone was in the room with him. Once he was asleep we could turn on the tv and it wouldn't wake him. But if we were in the room he would not sleep at all. So each night we'd put him to bed, turn off the lights, and hide out in the bathroom until he fell asleep. :laugh:

Well and perhaps we could pick on the guy for not having a roommate. Isn't it a waste to live by yourself? He could cut his footprint and bills in half.

I saw a show about being green, being minimal, BLAH BLAH. The people were looking for a green home. They wanted everything green (which is also btw quite expensive and not for people without a crap load of money). They got their green home. It was like a mansion. All green though!

OY....whatever.

I started this thread based on the guy's article in the Times. Granted, I did not research him and I had not seen the photos of the apartment. I think we are all in agreement that the apartment is a bit over the top. Does that dismiss the initial article?

Apparently it does for some. I see a group having a conversation about usage of living space. Is that a bad thing?

Shrug.

To be honest, I often use our powder room as a telephone booth. It is the only place I can get some privacy and sometimes I think a bench might be nice.

One day when my ds was around 10 he got a phone call and he went into the powder room to talk. I almost fell down I was laughing so hard.

I started this thread based on the guy's article in the Times. Granted, I did not research him and I had not seen the photos of the apartment. I think we are all in agreement that the apartment is a bit over the top. Does that dismiss the initial article?

Apparently it does for some. I see a group having a conversation about usage of living space. Is that a bad thing?

Shrug.

I'm sorry if I inadvertantly hijacked your thread with the link to the video. :blush:

But... considering that a big part of this guy's premise was that he was able to minimize his stuff and his living space, I'm not sure we're off-topic here. I don't think anyone is dismissing the initial article -- but after seeing the guy's apartment, I'm just not so sure he is as much a "minimalist" as he purports himself to be.

Well and perhaps we could pick on the guy for not having a roommate. Isn't it a waste to live by yourself? He could cut his footprint and bills in half.

I saw a show about being green, being minimal, BLAH BLAH. The people were looking for a green home. They wanted everything green (which is also btw quite expensive and not for people without a crap load of money). They got their green home. It was like a mansion. All green though!

OY....whatever.

The university where I work recently built a "green" home. Well, they retrofitted a house that was owned by the university. When the project was still in the works, being discussed, I thought, wow, this is awesome! I liked the idea that they'd be showing ordinary people what they could do to minimize their impact. But then the work began, and I was dumbfounded They stripped everything, down to the studs. There was really almost nothing left of the original structure -- you could see through the house, the roof was gone. I hope to high heaven they recycled all the old appliances and fixtures, etc., but I'm afraid to ask. Then they filled it up with green products which ordinary folks living in this neighborhood could never afford. It was distressing. But, gosh, they got some good PR for that. :confused1:

On the one hand, I do want the word to get out, and I want to see discussions like this. But on the other, let's be real, people. Does everything have to be super sexy? I'd like to see, instead of a Street of Dreams, a Street of Reality tour, regular people living in real spaces in a creative way.

Shrug.

I do like the idea of people (as in society) coming around to intentional living. I grew up in the 80s. Where I grew up we had one McDonalds. Now there is the shopping mecca of the area in the same location. Consumerism is over the top. In fact, a couple I went to school with was on a talk show a few years ago because they were "spoiling" their kids with stuff. Not hard, considering there were 100+ stores within a five miles radius.

I like the posters signature about living life, not dusting it.

I do think it's taken this long for some people to realize a life with less stuff is not less of a life.

I'm starting to delve into the less is more mindset. As a family it's harder. I'm so glad ds is through the toy stage, he's borderline minimalist already. In my current situation (separation) I find it easier to pinpoint what I like and want to keep. As a couple I know there are things we own simply because we think the other one likes it.

The digital age has certainly helped. I remember all the stereo components we used to have, enough to take up half a room. Now that technology has made everything smaller, it helps.

Shrug.

I think he gives us some good reminders about our consumerist society.

The university where I work recently built a "green" home. Well, they retrofitted a house that was owned by the university. When the project was still in the works, being discussed, I thought, wow, this is awesome! I liked the idea that they'd be showing ordinary people what they could do to minimize their impact. But then the work began, and I was dumbfounded They stripped everything, down to the studs. There was really almost nothing left of the original structure -- you could see through the house, the roof was gone. I hope to high heaven they recycled all the old appliances and fixtures, etc., but I'm afraid to ask. Then they filled it up with green products which ordinary folks living in this neighborhood could never afford. It was distressing. But, gosh, they got some good PR for that. :confused1:

On the one hand, I do want the word to get out, and I want to see discussions like this. But on the other, let's be real, people. Does everything have to be super sexy? I'd like to see, instead of a Street of Dreams, a Street of Reality tour, regular people living in real spaces in a creative way.

I was on the board of directors of a non-profit that bought an historic building requiring rehabilitation. It was fascinating to see the two camps that considered themselves "green". One group wanted to do precisely what you mentioned above: strip to the studs and install "green materials". The other group wanted to maintain the single pane windows (despite the higher heating bill), the flawed wood floors, etc. to minimize impact on the landfill.

Unfortunately the two groups were irreconcilable.

I'm sorry if I inadvertantly hijacked your thread with the link to the video. :blush:

But... considering that a big part of this guy's premise was that he was able to minimize his stuff and his living space, I'm not sure we're off-topic here. I don't think anyone is dismissing the initial article -- but after seeing the guy's apartment, I'm just not so sure he is as much a "minimalist" as he purports himself to be.

No apology needed. In fact, I am glad you contributed images of the apartment to the discussion. The conversation of resources and use of space needs to happen. I think we just got sidetracked.

I do like the idea of people (as in society) coming around to intentional living. I grew up in the 80s. Where I grew up we had one McDonalds. Now there is the shopping mecca of the area in the same location. Consumerism is over the top. In fact, a couple I went to school with was on a talk show a few years ago because they were "spoiling" their kids with stuff. Not hard, considering there were 100+ stores within a five miles radius.

I like the posters signature about living life, not dusting it.

I do think it's taken this long for some people to realize a life with less stuff is not less of a life.

I'm starting to delve into the less is more mindset. As a family it's harder. I'm so glad ds is through the toy stage, he's borderline minimalist already. In my current situation (separation) I find it easier to pinpoint what I like and want to keep. As a couple I know there are things we own simply because we think the other one likes it.

The digital age has certainly helped. I remember all the stereo components we used to have, enough to take up half a room. Now that technology has made everything smaller, it helps.

After my husband moved out, every weekend I would have a whole day alone in my house, and I would tackle one drawer or one closet shelf. One of the major issues that we had was about stuff. He was / is not a hoarder, but he is a bit of a packrat, and is not at all bothered by clutter, and he really could not wrap his head around my very real need for order. I'm no Martha Stewart, but chaos and dust just do not work for me and I was constantly overwhelmed by stuff. It was so healing in a deeply profound way to claim my space.

The guy's apartment has a gee-whiz-isn't-that-cool factor, but I wouldn't want to live in it. There's no warmth or personality to it. It looks like a model apartment in an exhibit on how to multi-purpose your space, not like someone's home.

I like clean, contemporary lines, but that apartment felt sort of empty when everything was closed up and in its place.

This.

I'm already dreading dh's retirement and we live in a large home.

Yes, I want to downsize, but a one bedroom box would not work for the two of us. One of us would end up living in the car :laugh:

My mother says that when a married man retires, he needs to get another job. When a married woman retires, she already has a job (her husband). ;)

Or, you could get two of these, attach them in some way, and have "his and hers" houses. LOL! :)

The guy's apartment has a gee-whiz-isn't-that-cool factor, but I wouldn't want to live in it. There's no warmth or personality to it. It looks like a model apartment in an exhibit on how to multi-purpose your space, not like someone's home.

I like clean, contemporary lines, but that apartment felt sort of empty when everything was closed up and in its place.

I really liked the aesthetic of his place. But I like emptiness and clean lines. Right now I have junk on top of my fridge, papers on my desk, and moving boxes in the living room, and I feel like I'm one step away from a Hoarders episode! I hate clutter, knickknacks, ornamental candles, etc.

Well,we are about to move into 396 sqft with eight people, so 420 sqft for one person seems like excess to me. I challenge him on his minimalism. :D

http://coach-and-six...ogspot.com/?m=1

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

You must be the kindest, sweetest, most patient woman on the planet, because the situation you describe would turn me into a stark raving lunatic. I am in awe of you for being able to do something like that!!! :hurray:

Minimalist Dude has nothing on you.

Incidentally, I briefly met this guy way back when. His company was eviserated after he sold it. He got very lucky timing wise.

Am I the only one who is rubbed the wrong way by a single very well off millionaire telling other people, who mostly have kids and far less money, to simplify their lives?

There ain't nothing minimalist about spending 350K to renovate your space no matter how small that space may be. Bobo is as bobo does.

Look at me, I don't own a single CD! Maybe because unlike average music fanatics, you can afford to replace all of your old music in whatever format you prefer. Look at me, I live with 10 plate bowls! Um, that's 10x as many as you need most of the time and I know you aren't cooking much at all in your single pot pan as a wealthy single adult living in the city.

My husband and I brought our son home to a studio just about the same size as this guy's 420sf. Two adults, 1 baby all in a mix of scavanged, thrifted and IKEA. Not even 3500 dollars spent. More like 1/5 of that to loft our bed and finish off a storage table. the nursery was a 3 in 1 PNP. It was wonderful and cozy but somehow I didn't feel the need to style myself a lifestyle guru and urge others to change their ways. We've never lived with more than 1450 sf, and are now in the 900sf for a family of 4 range. It works but it's not necessary to customize to perfection. For me simple is about making do, not paying top dollar for slick.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad he found a more meaningful to him way of life. I am all for paring down and living with less. I just think he is doing this in a pretty consumptive way, and spinning it a lot.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad he found a more meaningful to him way of life. I am all for paring down and living with less. I just think he is doing this in a pretty consumptive way, and spinning it a lot.

I get the feeling that this whole thing is part of another business venture for the guy. There's money to be made in being green and minimalist and whiz-bang-high-tech, and I would be willing to bet that Minimalist Dude wants a piece of that pie. Maybe I'm too cynical, but I have no illusions that he has done any of this simply because he likes living with less.

I get the feeling that this whole thing is part of another business venture for the guy. There's money to be made in being green and minimalist and whiz-bang-high-tech, and I would be willing to bet that Minimalist Dude wants a piece of that pie. Maybe I'm too cynical, but I have no illusions that he has done any of this simply because he likes living with less.

Oh I am sure. More than a few Internet millionaires who got out and basically retired at 30 are scrambling to rebuild what they lost in the recessions and burnt through login like there was no tomorrow. I know one guy back at work for the first time since 1999 and age 28. He's still well off but he has three kids and a wife and no longer thinks his once considerable pile of cash will send his girls to college and pay for the rest of his decades on earth.

There's a difference between minimalist and camouflaged. He HAS everything, he's just hiding it. When I was single, I could fit everything I owned into a duffle bag. THAT was minimalist, but not fashionably so. Now I have a family and NEED an accessible living space. There's no getting a wheelchair down that tiny hallway in the video.

We live in 320 sq feet ( or 346, depending on who you ask...) and even less of that is actually live able space.

I liked the article, thanks for bringing it to my attention. I love seeing others perceptive on needs/wants and minimilistism.

Did you see the guy's apartment?

http://www.treehugge...-apartment.html

I'm in love!

I dunno. It's not like I don't get what he is saying, but doing that as a single person is not a big deal to me. When you live with other people then come talk to me.

Agreed.

I am a big fan of minimalism, but it is SO hard to be a minimalist when you live with a man that likes to keep everything and two young children that have two sets of very loving (spoiling) grandparents within ten minutes of your house. I could live with a lot less than what we have right now, but my family would not be happy with me.

Shrug.

Jane, I could relate to the article when he talked about the freedom of traveling with very little and the stress that too much stuff can place on a person. I probably would have felt more comfortable with the intent, if I had not seen his place. There are really two different concepts here that are a bit at odds with each other. I agree that living well with less stuff and space is possible. I think people are usually more likely to embrace that idea if it is by choice. A small space with multi-use items can be admirable, but when I look at the items he has in that place, I am doubting his intent to reduce his carbon footprint. For me, reducing one's carbon footprint would mean a small home primarily furnished with used items that do their job and provide a sense of beauty. Things would be easy to clean, but not stark. I would have to think carefully about the electronic gadgets that make their way into my home. The production and dismantling of computers, phones, etc., have an enormous impact on our environment and lives in third world countries.

I would love to continue this conversation and see what others dream of doing as far as doing with less - less space, stuff, etc. If you are thinking of doing with less, what are you making space for in your life?

Well,we are about to move into 396 sqft with eight people, so 420 sqft for one person seems like excess to me. I challenge him on his minimalism. :D

http://coach-and-six.blogspot.com/?m=1http://coach-and-six.blogspot.com/?m=1

We live in about 288 sq feet in a fifth wheel now, i love it, it would be easier without the kids, but we love the savings....Minimlist dudes space is cool and all, but not very homey...