Menu

We have a pope!

PrairieSong

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/03/04/argentines-jorge-bergoglio-and-leonardo-sandri-offer-strikingly-different/

A little background:

Both are the sons of Italian immigrants. Both are doctrinal conservatives. And both are known for their warm personalities.

But the two Argentine cardinals widely given an outside chance to become pope have had very different careers.

Jorge Mario Bergoglio, who would be the first Jesuit pope if chosen, has spent nearly his entire career at home in Argentina, overseeing churches and shoe-leather priests.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/03/04/argentines-jorge-bergoglio-and-leonardo-sandri-offer-strikingly-different/#ixzz2NRvMkdUR

I was laughing because we are watching CNN and apparently none of the talking heads know Latin so it took a minute after the announcement in Latin for them to announce who they *thought* it was and still for a long time afterwards they kept saying "if it is who we think it is." DH was questioning me last night on why I wanted to teach the kids Latin and I just joked with him that then they wouldn't have to wait for Anderson Cooper to get a translator to tell him who the new pope is.

Interesting. USA Today chose the pope name, but associated it with the wrong pope. Article from a couple days ago.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/03/12/pope-conclave-name/1982921/

"Church historian Matthew Bunson suggests that if Cardinal Sean O'Malley, archbishop of Boston, is chosen, the Capuchin monk may break new pope-name ground by calling himself Francis, for St. Francis of Assisi, who founded the Franciscan religious order.

He might even call himself Pope Francis I. Pope John Paul I was the most recent pontiff to create a new name rather than honor a past pope. And, unusually, John Paul I added "the first" to his name from the get-go, so O'Malley might follow suit."

I was laughing because we are watching CNN and apparently none of the talking heads know Latin so it took a minute after the announcement in Latin for them to announce who they *thought* it was and still for a long time afterwards they kept saying "if it is who we think it is." DH was questioning me last night on why I wanted to teach the kids Latin and I just joked with him that then they wouldn't have to wait for Anderson Cooper to get a translator to tell him who the new pope is.

There are advantages to EWTN. Some of the commentators know Latin. :)

Can someone give me a run down on what Jesuit means. I have heard it before but don't really know what it means. :blushing:

The Society of Jesus

The Society of Jesus (Latin: Societas Iesu, S.J., SJ or SI) is a Christian male religious order of the Roman Catholic Church . The members are called Jesuits and are also known colloquially as "God's Marines",[2] these being references to founder Ignatius or Loyola's military background and members' willingness to accept orders anywhere in the world and live in extreme conditions. The society is engaged in evangelization and apostolic ministry in 112 nations on six continents. The society's founding principles are contained in the document Formula of the Institute, written by Ignatius of Loyola. Jesuits are known for their work in education (founding schools, colleges, universities and seminaries), intellectual research, and cultural pursuits, and for their missionary efforts. Jesuits also give retreats, minister in hospitals and parishes and promote social justice and ecumenical dialogue.

Can someone give me a run down on what Jesuit means. I have heard it before but don't really know what it means. :blushing:

The Jesuits are a religious order in the church similar to the Franciscans, Dominicans, Carmelites, etc. There are a lot of religious orders--those are just a few of the bigger, more famous ones. They were founded by St. Ignatius Loyola in the 16th century. In the US they are most known for running educational institutions: Georgetown, Boston College, St. Louis University--lots of big schools. Lots of high schools. I'm sure many here were "Jesuit educated."

The Jesuits are not known for their orthodoxy but many are wonderful, of course. And Pope Francis is, as far as I know, considered "orthodox." He is most likely not to be a "radical" in any direction.

Here's the Wikipedia entry - Society of Jesus. They're a religious order of the RC Chruch. From that:

Jesuits are known for their work in education (founding schools, colleges, universities and seminaries), intellectual research, and cultural pursuits, and for their missionary efforts. Jesuits also give retreats, minister in hospitals and parishes and promote social justice and ecumenical dialogue.

I frequently troll Jesuit education resources because those guys understand education. If a Jesuit school opened anywhere near me I'd drop homeschooling in a heartbeat and send my kids there.

Excuse me, I get all starry eyed when talking about Jesuits. :D

It is after Francis of Assisi according to what I read......

I don't think anyone could know this for sure at this point. The cardinals, obviously, do not advertise the name they would choose and why beforehand. Pope Francis will likely let us know but it could just as easily be St. Francis Xavier who was an early Jesuit.

I'm very pleased with the choice... and not just because I was right about it being someone from South America this time around (my dh and I had been debating about that!) but because he seems to be a genuinely good, kind, and honest man.

And as silly as this sounds, he has a kind and gentle expression.

Also, Francis is my favorite saint, so I love the choice of names (and the symbolism of it, as well.)

The Society of Jesus

The Society of Jesus (Latin: Societas Iesu, S.J., SJ or SI) is a Christian male religious order of the Roman Catholic Church . The members are called Jesuits and are also known colloquially as "God's Marines",[2] these being references to founder Ignatius or Loyola's military background and members' willingness to accept orders anywhere in the world and live in extreme conditions. The society is engaged in evangelization and apostolic ministry in 112 nations on six continents. The society's founding principles are contained in the document Formula of the Institute, written by Ignatius of Loyola. Jesuits are known for their work in education (founding schools, colleges, universities and seminaries), intellectual research, and cultural pursuits, and for their missionary efforts. Jesuits also give retreats, minister in hospitals and parishes and promote social justice and ecumenical dialogue.

Someone once told me that the Jesuits are like the mafia but without the crime. I took that to mean that they are very behind the scenes getting things done and don't like the spotlight.

I don't think anyone could know this for sure at this point. The cardinals, obviously, do not advertise the name they would choose and why beforehand. Pope Francis will likely let us know but it could just as easily be St. Francis Xavier who was an early Jesuit.

I think this is a good point.

I'm very pleased with the choice... and not just because I was right about it being someone from South America this time around (my dh and I had been debating about that!) but because he seems to be a genuinely good, kind, and honest man.

And as silly as this sounds, he has a kind and gentle expression.

Also, Francis is my favorite saint, so I love the choice of names (and the symbolism of it, as well.)

Yup, to everything here. My father and husband are non-practicing Catholics, but I'm the one that has always felt the draw to Catholicism.

From Wikipedia:

As Cardinal, Bergoglio became known for personal humility, doctrinal conservatism and a commitment to social justice. A simple lifestyle contributed to his reputation for humility. He lived in a small apartment, rather than in the palatial bishop's residence. He gave up his chauffeured limousine in favor of public transportation,[3] and he reportedly cooked his own meals.

Someone once told me that the Jesuits are like the mafia but without the crime. I took that to mean that they are very behind the scenes getting things done and don't like the spotlight.

ROTFL. I *just* got off the phone with my aunt and she eluded to the same thing. How funny! She is very devout, attended Catholic schools, attended Loyola University in Chicago, is very active in her parish and helped a guy with writing a book about the time of the French in Illinois years ago, which obviously brought quite a few Jesuits to our area in the earlier days. Heh, I knew my family would be geeking out.

My early impressions are that we didn't get a "media pope" like John Paul II but nor do we have the aloof-professor-type we had in Ratzinger (I loved Ratzinger's writings but he wan't exactly a charmer in person). Pope Francis seems like a very down-to-earth, humble man. I hope that means he knows how to roll up his sleeves and get to work. My husband has been arguing that we need an Italian to be pope because only an Italian could work with the unique Italian way of doing (or not doing) business in Rome. Perhaps Bergoglio's Italian heritage will serve him well in that regard.

That is interesting because we had a really weird neighbor man that kept going off about how the Jesuits were going to secretly take over America and then the world, or something like that. I was just like this :huh: :ohmy: :wacko: when he talked about it. I had no clue what he was going on about. He read it inside of some kind of conspiracy book.

And as silly as this sounds, he has a kind and gentle exp<b></b>ression.

I don't think it sounds silly at all. I was thinking the same thing when I saw him.

That is interesting because we had a really weird neighbor man that kept going off about how the Jesuits were going to secretly take over America and then the world, or something like that. I was just like this :huh: :ohmy: :wacko: when he talked about it. I had no clue what he was going on about. He read it inside of some kind of conspiracy book.

They are a very top-down, obedience-driven organization and they are good at raising money. So it's a fertile combination for conspiracy theories :)

Here's the Wikipedia entry - Society of Jesus. They're a religious order of the RC Chruch. From that:

I frequently troll Jesuit education resources because those guys understand education. If a Jesuit school opened anywhere near me I'd drop homeschooling in a heartbeat and send my kids there.

Excuse me, I get all starry eyed when talking about Jesuits. :D

You would love the book The Jesuits and Education by William McGucken.

I am not Catholic, but dd and I watched this with interest. It is very important for the future of Christianity, Catholic or not. Francis seems like a good man and a good choice. He seemed like more of a people person like John Paul II, hopefully he will be a great pope.

They are a very top-down, obedience-driven organization and they are good at raising money. So it's a fertile combination for conspiracy theories :)

We have a Jesuit high school in town that's highly regarded. A number of years ago (like when my aunts were kids) the school was desperately in need of a new athletic field and there was no money for it. I don't know who decided that but the school and the principal were told they weren't going to be able to get it. A few days later the Jesuit leadership at the school had lined up like donations on their own and construction was started immediately. There wasn't anything scandalous about it just motivated people who knew how to get things done.

Though we are not at all religious, Indy and I have been watching this with interest. It's a fascinating process and I wonder what sort of shenanigans go on behind the scenes to get a certain person elected. When Francis I finally came out on the balcony and then they showed the crowds, Indy kept pointing and yelling "We were there! We were right there! We saw that balcony! Look, I stood by that lamp. Hey! That's where we sat in the shade!" It was pretty funny.

*SNORT* I went to an all girl Jesuit high school and this is so true.

Has he been reading Dan Brown books? Those things will rot your brain!

Funny story: My 86 year old, Catholic father-in-law lives with us. Our school room is upstairs. We were having school when fil starts yelling from the bottom of the stairs, "Smoke! There's smoke! There's smoke!!" So I race to the stairs thinking the house is on fire or something, and I'm yelling, "Where?? Where's the smoke!" My boys are preparing to evacuate. Fil starts jumping up and down. I'm running through my mental checklist and gathering the boys when he finally yells, "White smoke and bells!!" Ok...power down the adrenalin...no fire. There's a new pope. Whew...fil just about did me in.

Funny story: My 86 year old, Catholic father-in-law lives with us. Our school room is upstairs. We were having school when fil starts yelling from the bottom of the stairs, "Smoke! There's smoke! There's smoke!!" So I race to the stairs thinking the house is on fire or something, and I'm yelling, "Where?? Where's the smoke!" My boys are preparing to evacuate. Fil starts jumping up and down. I'm running through my mental checklist and gathering the boys when he finally yells, "White smoke and bells!!" Ok...power down the adrenalin...no fire. There's a new pope. Whew...fil just about did me in.

:lol:

Oh, my! You'll laugh about that later. Do you mind if I laugh about it now?

Oh, my! You'll laugh about that later. Do you mind if I laugh about it now?

Laugh away!! I know we are. What is there to do *but* laugh? Life with this particular 86 year old is fairly similar to life with a 2 year old on a sugar high. You never know what he's going to do next, but you sort of expect a certain level of chaos ~ and, hey, at least my house is still standing! :D