Menu

Social groups are back!

[email protected]

Crossing the Tiber is there.

Oh, sorry. I meant that the CTT thread isn't locked on the Chat board like the other social group threads. Thanks for everything you've done!! I've noticed that all old content is back now (woo-hoo) and that you've moved the locked threads to the individual groups. That's awesome.

Some of our members say they are getting "Join Now" notifications by email even though they're not the moderator. Also, I have some "Join Now" requests and yet I don't have an option of adding them in the pull down menu. The pull down menu only has Delete Request and Ban Member options for me to choose from.

On a related note: Some people are reporting that they can edit their groups even though they're not the moderator of the group. Can you check into that?

To address a question above, the old social groups were all viewable by everyone (even non-members). We, as moderators, never had the ability to hide the groups. Non-members just couldn't post to the group. Now, we have the option to hide the group. The moderator of the group has to choose that setting.

When I click on New Content, I see all of the social group threads, but there is no option to reply. One tread they commented that it was a private group....I don't know of it is a problem with settings, I just thought you all would like to know. :)

Our hidden group is still showing up at the bottom of the home page to read. It is only hidden from new members joining. Is there a way to get it off the home page?

OtherJohn, I really do appreciate all the work you have gone to, but the privacy of the Social Groups is one of their main draws. Is there something we are missing about the "hidden" feature? What can we do to keep all our content out of the public forum domain like it used to be?

I'm hoping we come up with a way to "turn off" all the social groups we aren't a part of. I've almost replied in three threads today that are actually social groups because I didn't immediatly notice they were social groups. I'm pretty sure the LCHF social group doesn't want me posting my recipe for dinner rolls in their thread asking for recipes.

Some of our members say they are getting "Join Now" notifications by email even though they're not the moderator. Also, I have some "Join Now" requests and yet I don't have an option of adding them in the pull down menu. The pull down menu only has Delete Request and Ban Member options for me to choose from.

I am getting "Join Now" requests for a group I am a member of but I am not the moderator.

OtherJohn should consider making these more private than they are. It shows up in the new content area. So I can hover over the title of a post something thinks only their group can read. I can view the beginning and ending statements in partial due to this hover feature and I am pretty sure some of the nasty comments would be against board rules if it were just on the chat board.

Make them truly private like it was. Dump the ones that are old and out of date(like conventions past).

I can't believe that some of the people here say what they do when they think they are in a private group.

OtherJohn should consider making these more private than they are. It shows up in the new content area. So I can hover over the title of a post something thinks only their group can read. I can view the beginning and ending statements in partial due to this hover feature and I am pretty sure some of the nasty comments would be against board rules if it were just on the chat board.

Make them truly private like it was. Dump the ones that are old and out of date(like conventions past).

I can't believe that some of the people here say what they do when they think they are in a private group.

Yeah. I clicked on one labeled "Pope" because I didn't realize it was a social group and I'm so excited about it. Wow. Wish I could unsee what I did.

They weren't private before, though. Anyone (who was registered at WTM) could read posts in any group. Not as handily, but the ability was there. They were just harder to find and so seemed more private.

They weren't private before, though. Anyone (whether registered at WTM or not) could read posts in any group. Not as handily, but the ability was there. My husband follows the social group I moderate and he's not a member here at WTM. They were just harder to find and so seemed more private.

I would be okay with that. When they show up under New Content it's hard to know which ones I should be reading and should avoid. I've almost jumped in a few conversations not knowing that they were social groups.

I would be okay with that. When they show up under New Content it's hard to know which ones I should be reading and should avoid. I've almost jumped in a few conversations not knowing that they were social groups.

Agreeing. It looks like we'll be able to make the groups "hidden" at some point so that they can't be found unless one has a direct link to the group (which wasn't an option before) so that's nice; it's just not working yet. Oh, I took the part out of my post about my husband and not being a member because I don't think that part was right. I was logged in on his computer and he could read the posts.

Phantom group? When I post in the forums, it shows that I am a member of the Non-Christian Homeschoolers Social Group. When I go into my social groups, all mine are listed there except this one. When I search the Social Group master list, this group does not come up. I'd like to leave it, but I can't leave what I can't find. Any ideas?

Thanks

Laura

Phantom group? When I post in the forums, it shows that I am a member of the Non-Christian Homeschoolers Social Group. When I go into my social groups, all mine are listed there except this one. When I search the Social Group master list, this group does not come up. I'd like to leave it, but I can't leave what I can't find. Any ideas?

Thanks

Laura

Did you try clicking on the name in the post? They are links directly to the groups.

Thanks. It's showing 'down for maintenance' at present, but I'll try again later.

Laura

I clicked on it just to see what it said - it did have a message that the group was under admin review for deletion - so maybe that it why it wasn't showing the way you were looking at it?

Hopefully when they get them back you can sort it out!

Thanks

Laura

That was my group, Laura. If you are the group owner of the old group you can delete the group. I deleted that one as there were other, more active, more current groups to take its place. I also requested to delete a couple of other old groups I'd started for similar reasons.

Apparently, there is some review period before a group is completely deleted, though.

Guest inoubliable

All the SUDDEN activity in the social groups (which is great, by the way--we're glad you're enjoying them!) sparked some major security attacks by spambots...we should be back up very shortly. Hang in there....

Thanks for the update! :)

That was my group, Laura. If you are the group owner of the old group you can delete the group. I deleted that one as there were other, more active, more current groups to take its place. I also requested to delete a couple of other old groups I'd started for similar reasons.

Apparently, there is some review period before a group is completely deleted, though.

Great - thanks, Audrey.

Laura

Kelli, there's an issue with anyone being able to see the Discussion page of the groups. They're working on it! :)

---

From OtherJohn at 7:00 a.m. this morning (PST) -

"Sorry folks, It has a very complex permissions engine that we had to write a special script to move from the old forums.

I will keep working on it."

I am logged in and the social group page is listing me as a member of a particular social group, yet when I try to click on a post, I get a message saying that I do not have permission to view this topic. What am I missing?

Same here. It's an open group, too.

This is *way* down on the priority queue, but would it be possible as well to list new social groups under status updates and new threads in the right-hand column on the forums page? It's taking up some prime real estate where it is, and is likely to see fewer changes than the other two categories.

Are the social groups still being worked on? The group I created is getting new members, but I am not able to access the discussions parts of any group. It says that I do not have permission to view this forum. I understand if the groups are still being worked on...I just want to make sure it is not a glitch with me.

Thanks!

Are the social groups still being worked on? The group I created is getting new members, but I am not able to access the discussions parts of any group. It says that I do not have permission to view this forum. I understand if the groups are still being worked on...I just want to make sure it is not a glitch with me.

Thanks!

I was just coming to ask that too. No permission to view. I'm guessing they're still being fixed?

Help! I was searching for a social group (I thought)...and accidentally created a new/duplicate one! (Well Trained Runners).

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to delete this new social group. Can anyone clue me in? Many thanks!