Menu

How active is your SO in your schooling?

My DH works the job that pays for the books and the co-op that we attend. He came in to our co-op and lead a class once so far this year (it was a class about what he does for a living). He will listen to the kids read on occasion. My older boys send me written summaries via email and that way, he too can see the summaries. He will sometimes reply to them and tell them they did a good job or ask a question. That's about it for help from him.

Emotionally, he supports me in this. He listens to me complain when I need to vent. He listens to me talk out issues when I can't figure something out. He agreed to go to the local HS convention with me in another couple of months. :) He will also help with things around the house that get neglected: folding laundry, washing laundry, loading/unloading the dishwasher, groceries, dinner on occasion, vacuuming...

He's pretty involved. Apart from letting me buy and talk about excessive amounts of curriculum and books, he does most of the read-alouds (they prefer his accent :rolleyes:), including LOF and SOTW. He also does extra math or art with them when they ask, and talks to them about things they're learning. He's more comfortable with afterschooling than homeschooling, but he doesn't let it show.

He works and goes to school himself, so when has the time to admire nice handwriting, hear about a lesson or listen to a story read (etc), I'm happy.

He is extremely supportive of whatever I choose (i.e.curriculum, co-op, field trips, everything) and will give his opinion about things if I ask.

Plus, he pays for everything I buy ! :-)

My dh works so I can stay home and homeschool. Occasionally he makes breakfast when he's able. He gives me support when I'm feeling down, and agrees with whatever curriculum I decide on. He's not a good teacher, at all, so it's best if he doesn't mess with any of it. He does teach him how to be handy on the cars and things outside. He's only 6 but he's been handling tools since he was little.

He helps me by being willing to help w/errands, dishes, cooking, that kind of thing as much as possible. Ok, maybe not the dishes on a regular basis. But he stops for groceries regularly, or the $ store or whatever. And he listens. If I say, the next time you are in $ store, please get us batteries for the pencil sharpener, he does it pretty soon. It is very helpful not to have to drag 3 kids to more errands that I have to.

He listens to me plan curric. But that is about it. If I am waffling, it helps to discuss it with a non over thinker LOL.

He reads to the kids at night. I am too tired by then. I have read and discussed stuff all day long, and need a break from talking. So if he is home he does the bedtime prayers, reading, or listening to them read aloud. BIG HELP.

Thats about it, besides being totally supportive and going to all of the extra curricular stuff that he can. He doesn't teach anything, except to maybe give me a hand once in awhile if he happens to be home while we are schooling (which is rare.) But if he is, he might sit and go over spelling words w/one while I am helping another, or he might play a preschool game w/the preschooler so that I can be busy w/the others and she isn't just playing by herself.

Now that we have hit high school math (I am hopeless), the children use a scripted curriculum and he checks their work once a week. I just make sure they do it each day.

He also does the science experiments one night a week.

Math and science are my weak points, so I'm glad he shores them up.

DH and I both work. Over the years, we've tried to turn over part of the schooling to him, but it has never worked. Something about his personality doesn't lend to teaching kids. He does a lot of the errand running, park days, driving to music lessons, and field trips. I do the teaching. It works better that way.

DH and I discuss the bigger issues of homeschooling here and there, but I'm the planner, implementer, and my contract work covers the expenses associated with that plus the activities and a few other bills. He pretty much tells me to do as I see fit as long as we discuss any major changes before I commit.

When I've had to be away on eldercare issues, he does beautifully with keeping them going.

DH occasionally helps if needed but not frequently. Homeschooling is my domain and I enjoy it that way. Obviously, he makes the money to pay for the curriculum. Sometimes he wants to look through the curriculum but I make the decisions on what to buy. He's a high school English teacher so he could easily do it but I enjoy it. Wait! He does do the before bed read alouds if that counts!

DH funds our schooling, is a sounding board for all of my school decisions, but leaves the final say-so up to me. He "encourages" the kids to cooperate with me. ;) If I specifically ask for time to plan, grade or just be away from the children, he makes that happen for me.

AND he teaches science. It's something that interests him. He was frustrated with the science choices I looked at and said he could do it better without a curriculum (this wasn't a criticism of me, but of the programs we'd been working through). He feels like science is unnecessarily dumbed down for the young kids, so he plans and executes science two days a week. There is a lesson, perhaps a demonstration on Wednesdays and then a full experiment on Saturday mornings. He's doing a great job and he goes with what the kids are asking questions about for the next topic of discussion. This week: comparing baking soda and baking powder.

He also reads aloud to the kids if I suggest a book that will fit well with our studies.

One thing that I think is important if you are feeling worn-out, burned out, and overwhelmed is to be specific with a way that your dh can help you. Mine isn't a mind reader, he'll never think to himself, "gee, I bet it's exhausting to be with the kids 24 hours a day and think about school for 12 of them. I bet she'd like me to take the kids to the park so she can rest." If I ask him to take the kids to the park, he's on it. So, ask for what you need. You might be surprised how inspired he is to help with a little direction.

He helps me with my planning time by keeping the kids busy, we discuss ideas, curriculum, projects, etc.

He works really hard @ his job to pay for everything.

He takes ds to his football/soccer practices (it counts as PE).

He would do more if I asked or needed it; I don't though because I only homeschool our

youngest.

My Dh handles all sports, thank goodness! He takes the kids out every weekend so I can have time to myself. He works hard to support this lifestyle.

He doesn't plan, prepare, or execute any formal academics/lessons, and I like it like this! That's my arena and I love it.

We are a team, my dh may earn the money outside the home but we both 'work'. We really have a great relationship, he earns and I spend. Win, win;)

I do all the school work because he isn't here during the day, and his goldfish like attention span with schoolwork wouldn't help the kids. In the evenings, we both do what has to be done in the house ie cook, clean etc. It has taken me years to teach him how to do house-work, and he is likely to forget, again, at any moment.

My husband is in the military and travels a lot. He has very little to do with school unless I specifically ask him to do a particular assignment. He's told me before that he is not a teacher. He's very supportive of whatever I choose to do, acts as my sounding board, and provides a way to purchase whatever I need and usually want for school. I like this arrangement.

None - DH works long hours. In fact he doesn't even really know what I am teaching them at all I change it so often.LOL.

The long term plan is that he will help a lot more when the kids are in high school - seeing as he is a school principal/high school teacher after all :laugh:

He openly admits he is no good at teaching little kids which is why he chose senior school as his major.

Actually I changed my mind - he does help about 5%. I ask him lot of questions about teaching methodology and he answers them. It usually starts with ...."Hey if you had to teach X to a 6 year old who hates school how would you do it" LOL

In our State all homeschoolers have to actually enrol in a public school and then get an exemption from attending. DH helps by enrolling homeschoolers in his school without giving them any grief about their choices. :lol:

I give up.

:grouphug:

BTDT with a few things.... in fact had one yesterday with the ex. Thankfully my parents want the kids there for a few days on their Spring break - and they won't find out they were supposed to be with their Dad.

I'm sorry you aren't going to get to go meet your daughters ship - that sounds awesome. If I was closer i'd offer you a hand with the kids so you could go!

ETA: well, as long as they didn't try to ask me calc questions.... i have gotten an F, F, and a D in that stupid class :p Geometry? my favorite :D

My DH is completely supportive of them being home and doesn't want them to ever go to school. He works nights so even being at home and being noisy during the day doesn't bother him. He doesn't teach but will give a test if he has to, usually spelling. He will lend a hand when I have problems with attitudes and will support me with what I need from them. Sometimes it's nice to have someone else come in and break up to the tension and get us back on track.

My dh is completely supportive of my homeschooling decisions. I do talk with him about changes in curriculum or methods or what each child is struggling with, and he also listens to anything the kid swant to say to him. He's good at reading aloud, but I don't tell him what to read. I think it would be very odd to make a plan and tell him to do xyz. I chose homeschooling and he's supportive of it, and i wouldn't dream of telling him how to parent or interact with the kids. He reads with them and talks and watches docs and he's really good at the gardening and woodworking and home repair and yard care lessons. All that stuff. Basic Dad parenting stuff.

There have been times I have needed help either from illness or taking care of a baby etc where he has done a spelling lesson or math lesson. We also plan our homeschooling budget together. Our home budget, including homeschooling, is planned together. He's okay with whatever curriculum or books i feel are needed, but the monetary aspect is fleshed out together.

He helps with household chores. He understands that homeschooling adds a different dimension of work that is extra than just SAHM taking care of house or baby while big kids are at school. So he doesn't have any patriarchal ideas that I'm solely responsible for cooking and cleaning as well as childcare. He does his fair share of laundry and dishwasher loading.

We have a home business, he's a substitute teacher and just started teaching GED as well and is a part time bartender on weekends. So i don't feel too pressed to ask him to do homeschooling when I feel stressed because I can't take over any of his jobs when he's stressed. I tend to think of it as my job and the involvement he has similar to any working parent who asks how a kid's day at school was or helps with the occasional "homework." I tend to separate homeschooling issues from parenting issues that need both of our consideration.

I'm the one that knows the whys and hows of our writing program, he's the one who backs me up if a kid balks at doing their work. he's the one interested in what they learned. And he's the one involved in figuring out just how much this "private school" for his children costs. The dividing of household chores I consider a marriage partnership issue and not necessarily a parenting or homeschooling issue.