Menu

Do you allow your daughter(s) to wear bikinis? (Poll)

MiniBlondes

Bikinis  

579 members have voted

1. 1. Do you allow your daughter(s) to wear a bikini?

• Yes, why wouldn't I?
    • Yes, but with reservations. (explain)
    • No, definitely not. (explain)
    • Depends on where we are. (explain)
    • We allow the 'tankini' but no bikinis.
    • We don't believe in swimming.
    • The obligatory 'other'. (explain)

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are ok with tankinis, based on the cut. We prefer our daughters to wear swim shirts and shorts though.....not only for the sun coverage, but also so that modesty can be maintained while active in the water. The tankini rule is that belly must remain covered when arms are raised, and nothing is showing when bent over. ;)

Tankinis with full coverage for our family. I'm sure my daughter will question it at some point too, but that's too bad. She can wear what she wants when she moves out. LOL!!

AMDG

We never found the tankinis that offer full, modest coverage.  I thought they were just a brilliant idea as an easier swim suit (restroom, et c) but found that flipping around and jumping in and general fun-girl craziness meant that the top was almost always out of bounds.  

The only ones we ever tried were two different ones from Lands End (thinking it might be a sizing issue) and one from target.  No luck with either.

Yes, since it's November, let's have a controversy about something else!

What shall it be? Hats vs scarves? And if scarves, wool or silk? Chic or babushka-style? I will be very bold and introduce the subject of fur coats! Perhaps fur vs a good cloth coat (like Pat's)? Which would you let your DDs wear? :)

I voted no, definitely not. My kids have fair skin. We have always worn swimsuits which cover us for sun protection AND modesty. My daughters are at an age where they may now voice their preference but they still choose to cover up. The suits we buy look like a matching top and longer (to the knee) shorts with 3/4 length sleeves. We are not dresses only. We just prefer sensible clothes that are not overly revealing or flashy (capris vs. short shorts for example).

LOL - I see this was a resurrected thread. Oh well, before we know it swimsuits will be back on sale and I need to buy new ones for the family for next summer!

What shall it be? Hats vs scarves? And if scarves, wool or silk? Chic or babushka-style? I will be very bold and introduce the subject of fur coats! Perhaps fur vs a good cloth coat (like Pat's)? Which would you let your DDs wear? :)

It has more to do with this being an old thread and doesn't need any further discussion.

I don't think we are allowed to discuss coats, politics being banned and all...

Chess or Checkers?

I don't see the point of them on little girls. They have nothing to put in them so they are always sliding up. My DD prefers the one pieces anyway ...we just bought new ones yesterday and they have little waterproof fairy wings sewn onto the back which you can't do with a bikini. My DD would much rather have the wings lol.

I've never worn a bikini in my whole life. I'm too afraid it wont stay on lol. I'm not against them but I just prefer the security of a one piece. Besides ... Living in Australia...the more skin covered the better. Most children here wear full surf shirts so the point of a bikini is lost anyway cause you are all covered up. We only go " shirtless" at indoor swimming pools.

I agree sewingmama, for some of us it is coming up to summer.

My dds and neighbour kids follow their mothers' childhood histories of strippy down to saggy-arsed muddy undies in waterholes, rivers, dams and every other conceivable swimming place, however they wear long sleeved swim-shirts in outside pools or for longer swimming sessions, (lots of skin cancers around here).

Her older sister occasionally wore my old bikini and looked and felt fantastic in it.

post-9479-0-27712100-1383347929_thumb.jpg

Really, how can this  ^  be wrong?

Pink is 4.5.  So far, her bathing suit (which has fit her since she was almost 2, and will probably still fit her next year - all legs, this girl!) has been a tankini.

I don't have a problem with bikinis on older girls (IME a bikini on a prepubescent body usually doesn't stay put or end up being all that comfortable, but YMMV and we haven't reached that point yet, so I don't have any strong feelings on it): my main reservation (I voted yes, with reservations) would just be the practicality and functionality of it. 

We live 3 hours from the beach.  She has 2 older brothers and she loves playing with them. 

I was always much more comfortable playing around/having fun in the water when wearing my tankini or specific bikini (one of the old halter top/boy short ones) as a teenager than I was in my itty-bitty bikini.

ETA: D***it!!!  How did I end up not noticing this was resurrected?!  Sorry!!  I usually try to pay really close attention to that detail... :glare:

I wondered why people were talking about this in November...now I know.

People its too cold outside to be discussing bikinis.

This thread was resurrected by a first time poster. 

It is bikini weather somewhere in the world!!! 

Wish I were headed to bikini weather.

I don't mind showing skin. I tend to avoid the skimpiest of bikinis, but your average 'matronly' bikini often catches my eye and makes it into my wardrobe if it's flattering (emphasis on the 'flat' -- I need a high-ish waist on my bottoms). My general choice is a tankini, without any worries that my tummy still shows when I play, nor that the neckline is often a bit daring. Sometimes that's a plus!