Menu

(graphic female medical content) Just got off the phone with the OB/gyn

Joanne

I have 2 issues, unrelated except for physiological real estate:

1. CIN 2, deciding on treatment.
  2. Bleeding. OMG a massive amount of bleeding and low grade, constant crampy pain. I have been bleeing at severe levels for a week. I had a period after my IUD was taken out; It started on the 16th. Seemed to stop. Last Monday, Feb. 25, I bled through super tampons and into 2 pairs of pants in 2.5 hours. And I have been bleeding at nearly that level since.

Have I mentioned I'm tired? ;) Dr. ordered hormone panel, and got the call today that I am not in peri or actual menopause. She's ordered another test for the blood level itself.

And she's Rx'ed birth control pills! I went on them as a virgin teen for similar reasons. (Of course, the level of hormones were way different then.)

It is cumbersome to function like this, so I am leaning towards taking the pills. Feedback, bubble baths and chocolate welcome.

Ugh. That stinks. I can't imagine the anemia is helping with your tiredness. Have you considered progesterone cream? It seems more gentle than the Pill.

Definitely go with the chocolate, though. Sending a virtual variety box of bonbons your way!

I wish I had some info or suggestions on how to make this easier for you, but I wanted to send you some :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

That hysterectomy is starting to sound like a week at Disneyland, isn't it? ;)

Seriously, though, I feel so badly for you and I hope your doctor is able to help you.

I have 2 issues, unrelated except for physiological real estate:

1. CIN 2, deciding on treatment.

2. Bleeding. OMG a massive amount of bleeding and low grade, constant crampy pain. I have been bleeing at severe levels for a week. I had a period after my IUD was taken out; It started on the 16th. Seemed to stop. Last Monday, Feb. 25, I bled through super tampons and into 2 pairs of pants in 2.5 hours. And I have been bleeding at nearly that level since.

Have I mentioned I'm tired? ;) Dr. ordered hormone panel, and got the call today that I am not in peri or actual menopause. She's ordered another test for the blood level itself.

And she's Rx'ed birth control pills! I went on them as a virgin teen for similar reasons. (Of course, the level of hormones were way different then.)

It is cumbersome to function like this, so I am leaning towards taking the pills. Feedback, bubble baths and chocolate welcome.

If I were you I'd take the pills. I'm not a huge fan of them, but dire circumstances etc etc. You need to function right now. You can't function properly while bleeding like that. Do what it takes to stop the bleeding. Then worry about long term solutions once you aren't bleeding to death, lol.

As for the CIN 2, hugs.

In your case, I'd probably opt for the pills. Yuck, this sounds like miserableness!

Also, I would think there's a good chance you're anemic. I was anemic during one of my pregnancies, and it showed in tiredness, like "can't get up and walk across the room, can't take a deep breath" tiredness. My midwife suggested Vitron-C, and seriously, within a week, I felt SO much better, normal pregnant tired, not utterly exhausted. I know other people like Floradix and other natural remedies, but Vitron-C works very well for me, is not too expensive, and it didn't cause constipation. I would look into something like that.

I hope you get answers, and lots of chocolate, soon!

(((Joanne)))

As was explained to me when I had prolonged, heavy bleeding, the estrogen in the pill signals the endometrium to go into a building phase, which ends the shedding phase. In my case I got relief by the second day. Although I was leery of taking hormones, it seemed a better alternative than continued heavy bleeding or immediate surgery.

Stuart's Prenatal vitamins, stat! They have lots of iron, it is accessible, and it doesn't cause constipation.

Also, I would try the pill for a couple of months to try to get stabilized.

Also, even if you don't test positive for peri-menopause, you can start to have symptoms. No fun at all.

What about one of those scrapey burny procedures? Geesh I cannot for the life of me remember the name of that. I'm thinking of asking for that. I too bleed like you would not believe. I'm just pretty anti BC pills though because they caused depression and nausea for me in the past. Maybe that's not a factor for you though.

The CIN 2 thing. They can lop that sucker off you'll be fine. I had the same thing. No problems since and it's been years.

*hugs* to you...

I think Wendy means an ablation. I had one done in August, after copious amounts of bleeding during my period. It's the best thing I've ever done. I haven't had a period since. I can't take the pill because is makes me crazy. It was fine when I was younger (taking it for heavy periods then), but since having kids, it sends me for a loop. We've tried several kinds, and they all have the same effect. I went for years dealing with heavy periods, but last year, I needed to change every hour and was bleeding through clothing regularly. I couldn't even leave the house for fear of bleeding everywhere. My ob/gyn suggested an ablation when I went in begging for a hysterectomy to make it all disappear. It was painful for the 2 minutes during the procedure, but I have not regretted it for a minute.

I'm sorry you are struggling. Many hugs coming your way as well as some salted dark chocolate caramel. :)

I've had issues like that over the years-when I wasn't on some form of the pill or IUD.....I agree with the other posters--don't really like "the pill" but you gotta do what you have to sometimes-and with bleeding that heavy if I were in that situation I would.....whatever your decision,good luck....hope you and your dr can get you to feeling better and rid of this issue....

I would try Vitex before going on the pill. The pill is a group 1 carcinogen (I'm only giving feedback because you said it's okay!). I have heard lots of good things about Vitex helping with cycles.

I hope you feel better soon. I have not followed this, but do you know whether or not you have fibroids?

I would try Vitex before going on the pill. The pill is a group 1 carcinogen (I'm only giving feedback because you said it's okay!). I have heard lots of good things about Vitex helping with cycles.

I hope you feel better soon. I have not followed this, but do you know whether or not you have fibroids?

The birth control pill is NOT a type 1 carcinogen.

Endometrial ablation is the best gift ever. I have my life back.

If you chose this route, PLEASE, I beg of you, chose a good Dr. One Dr in my county was Rxing them left and right, (there are not many ob/gyns in our county, all us women talked) and ALL of the women I know that had them went back to heavy, horrible periods, it didn't help a thing. (I obviously chose not to get one, though it was Rxxed me). Every single one of those women still have horrible problems.

Yes, it is. And, the author of that blog is a PhD in molecular biology, and microbiology. And, it's especially carcinogenic prior to a first birth.

That particular website is slanted very heavily toward an anti birth control bias. The pills that were reclassified were hormonal pills and/or BCPs used as hormonal replacement therapy in menopausal women. The birth control pill in question was ONE out of many that are currently on the market today. If you take hormones after menopause you are increasing your risk of cancer...slightly. Here is an article from a mainstream media source on the subject. http://www.nbcnews.c...st-carcinogens/

I had an ablation in January and feel like I can live again! I was miserable for several months prior, had a D&C which only helped for two weeks, then had bleeding like you describe for three months. The ablation was done under sedation (didn't feel a thing), recovery was not bad, and anemia reversed within a month or so. Ablation is most successful in "older" women (I am 47, and I am apparently in that category). My doctor said that it is possible I will need another one if I don't start menopause until the typical 52 years old, but it may do the trick until then.

What about one of those scrapey burny procedures?

It's lunchtime but I must need more caffeine...I read this as "one of those scrapey bunny procedures"...and I thought, wow, gynecology has really come a long way...poor bunny.

Good luck, Joanne, I hope you are able to get this all taken care of, and soon!

Endometrial ablation is the best gift ever. I have my life back.

:iagree:

there are factors that make it more or less likely to be really successful; you could ask about those.

and there are different ways of doing it. i had one with hot water, and had zero bleeding afterwards. its been years now, and its all still great.

hth,

ann

Joanne, I'm so sorry. I struggle with that type of bleeding too and it is NOT a good time. I actually use the birth control patch, Ortho Evra. My body seems to tolerate it better than the pills. I have read a little about the ablation or endure and may consider it.

In your case, I'd probably opt for the pills. Yuck, this sounds like miserableness!

Also, I would think there's a good chance you're anemic. I was anemic during one of my pregnancies, and it showed in tiredness, like "can't get up and walk across the room, can't take a deep breath" tiredness. My midwife suggested Vitron-C, and seriously, within a week, I felt SO much better, normal pregnant tired, not utterly exhausted. I know other people like Floradix and other natural remedies, but Vitron-C works very well for me, is not too expensive, and it didn't cause constipation. I would look into something like that.

I hope you get answers, and lots of chocolate, soon!

:iagree: I take Vitron-C. Three a day for the past 3 years. They work well

:iagree:

there are factors that make it more or less likely to be really successful; you could ask about those.

and there are different ways of doing it. i had one with hot water, and had zero bleeding afterwards. its been years now, and its all still great.

hth,

ann

True. I had the Novasure procedure. I did have a bit of bleeding the first few months afterwards, but it's been over a year and no bleeding. Before the procedure, the bleeding was debilitating. I literally could not leave the house for several days. After the procedure, the bleeding wasn't even enough to saturate a pad.

Your monographs are from the WHO, which is the only organization to classify one BCP as a carcinogen. See my above post for scientists who refute this assignation. Most people have FAR more dangerous medications than the pill in their homes, and take them regularly. Tylenol, for one. The important thing to remember here is that women need to discuss their health individually with their own doctors to come up with a plan that is best for them. Are there women whose health contraindicates the pill? Of course. Are there women for whom the pill provides great health benefits? Definitely! As with ANY health issue, the internet is not the place to decide on a course of treatment. Bias is heavy, and personal knowledge of the health of the individual in question cannot be ascertained without a medical exam by a competent practicing physician. Honestly, I don't recommend that anyone google their health condition and then decide on a treatment by asking around the internet. Even those of us who are in medicine cannot provide reliable advice without an exam, tests and health history, and those who are not in medicine are even less qualified to do so.