Menu

What is the weirdest thing your kids like to eat?

Dd7 is presently eating a bowl of uncooked 7-grain blend.

I made granola on Saturday. She doesn't like it, but she does like plain, raw, flaked hard wheat, soft wheat, oats, rye, barley, triticale, and spelt.

Okey dokey.

At least it's healthy. :glare:

Pigs feet. My oldest dd went through a pigs feet phase. She loved them! I was so nauseated just watching her eat them. Blech. Thankfully that phase didn't last too long! :tongue_smilie:

ETA: Today she ate white rice w/sour cream and mustard wrapped in a tortilla w/a pickle on the side for lunch! She comes up with the weirdest food combinations.

My kids love spicy pickled cabbage {kimchi, in Korean}, soy bean paste soup, and dried, salted seaweed sheets. These are all basic Korean foods. When my kids were little we used to say: "Enough dried seaweed! You can't have anymore until your soybean paste soup is gone!" :)

{We lived in Asia for 9+ years. DS would tell you that he thinks lasagna is the weirdest food. Won't touch it.}:)

My kids love spicy pickled cabbage {kimchi, in Korean}, soy bean paste soup, and dried, salted seaweed sheets. These are all basic Korean foods. When my kids were little we used to say: "Enough dried seaweed! You can't have anymore until your soybean paste soup is gone!" :)

My kids love all of this as well. We had a Korean exchange student for the past school year and she cooked for us once a week.

{We lived in Asia for 9+ years. DS would tell you that he thinks lasagna is the weirdest food. Won't touch it.}:)

Interesting! My son won't touch kim-chi (too spicy) but like your children, he LOVES "kim" (the salted and oiled seaweed sheets that are the Korean version of "nori").

Good stuff!

Bill

Interesting! My son won't touch kim-chi (too spicy) but like your children, he LOVES "kim" (the salted and oiled seaweed sheets that are the Korean version of "nori").

Good stuff!

Bill

Yes! Kim is a favorite here! DH works with International students. One student gave us kim as a gift and later that day some other Korean students were in his office, saw it, and tried to buy it from him. His response was: "No way!"

Really? I thought eating these were more of a myth/joke.

Please don't get her started. She will show you blow by blow pictures of the whole process. They do look kind of oysterish when they're all laying there in the bucket. ;)

Yes! Kim is a favorite here! DH works with International students. One student gave us kim as a gift and later that day some other Korean students were in his office, saw it, and tried to buy it from him. His response was: "No way!"

Is it hard to find "kim" in Indiana?

We have a Korean supermarket near our house, so no problems here. But this doesn't seem like it would be an "everyday item" everywhere.

The first "animal food" my son ever ate was "unagi" (Japanese fresh-water eel). Which he will still gobble up heartily.

Bill

My kids were all practically weaned on calamari. I can remember one of them asking for more "'mari" when they could barely speak.

Yummmm!!!!

My girls were less than 2 when my dad bought spicy, pickled calamari and the two of them ate about half the container. He was shocked. Of course, these are the same girls who eat anchovies and will eat a can of sardines in about 2 minutes flat. Ick, Ick, Ick.

As far as weird things go, I would have to say meatball or eggplant parmesan hoagies with pickles.

I think he started this because dh and I get hot peppers on ours. One time he asked if he could get pickles on his and we figured, "Why not. Surely he won't like it!" Boy were we wrong!

I don't know if they're weird, but...

My picky eater 4yo ds will eat a big bowl of spinach, pecan, feta cheese, and dried cranberry salad with blush wine vineagrette dressing. He won't touch anything with tomatoes, though, so spaghetti, tacos, pizza, etc. don't go over well with him.

My youngest almost 2yo ds, however, will eat anything smothered in tomato sauce. :) He will also eat a fresh tomato like an apple. Very weird considering neither of my other boys will eat raw tomato, even chopped up on or in something...

DD has been a persnickety eater since forever. She lived on PB&honey sandwiches for much of her 4th and 5th years of life. She's added to her repertoire very gradually over the years, and just last week we shared sushi for lunch. Even the raw stuff - although she hasn't yet been willing to try the more outlandish ones like octopus or eel. She also loves frozen peas, frozen.

DS eats anything and everything, especially with a squirt of Ranch dressing. He and I both like Ranchup, which is when you combine Ranch and ketchup for dipping your fries. :D Its close cousin, Ranchecue, is the mix of bbq sauce and Ranch, which is great on grilled chicken.

Otter likes things to be room temp. or cold. He will eat soup out of the can just the way it is.

He also comes up with really odd combos and loves them too. Of course now I can't think of any! ;)

I'm just glad otter wasn't your answer. Now that would really be weird!

Is it hard to find "kim" in Indiana?

We have a Korean supermarket near our house, so no problems here. But this doesn't seem like it would be an "everyday item" everywhere.

The first "animal food" my son ever ate was "unagi" (Japanese fresh-water eel). Which he will still gobble up heartily.

Bill

Yes, it isn't readily available. We have to travel about 1 1/2 hours away to get to the Korean market. So, Korean food is a special treat. I have thought about buying things online, but have never done it!

Ooooh, I love eel fried rice! Another favorite of my kids is squid. They like it stir fried with rice, or in a spicey red pepper paste, or dried. When it's dried, it's a great snack! :)

hmmm, I'm the weird eater in the house more so than the kids (pickles dipped in ketchup, dulse {dried seaweed}, wasabi whatevers {peas, peanuts,on veggie sushi, etc}, twiglets dipped in ketchup, pickled onion space raiders, jars of mustard pickle, chow, etc by themselves)....but dd11 (and her friends) love to eat those "Mr. Noodles" (ramen, I think it is) crushed, uncooked, right from the package. Blech! :tongue_smilie:

Oh and that gross liquid spray candy stuff. I once said "sure" when offered some and nearly puked. DISGUSTING!

(I went to elementary school with a girl who used to eat toothpaste at recess.)

Guest kacifl

My son loves frozen peas. He'll eat them like candy. He doesn't like them thawed or cooked. Give him a choice of raw potato or apple, he'll eat the raw potato. Loves them too.

My 17 yo went through a phase when she was 8- 10 of making pickle, mayonaisse sandwiches: 2 slices of bread, thick slathers of mayo and pickles daintly laid atop one another over the mayo slather. She LOVED them.

My dh loves thick slices of cheddar cheese with a spoonful of p.b. over a bowl of yogurt! I can't even stand the smell!

My kids go wild over unusual fruits. For them its a treat to go to markets and see what wierd fruit they can get- as in, not your normal apples and bananas. They even use their own pocket money to buy unusual fruit.

They love pomegranates, custard apples and dragon fruit, and persimmons/fuji fruit. My son is bananas about grapes- he will use his pocket money to buy grapes quite frequently (ok they're not a wierd fruit but his love of them is!).

My son likes tortilla chips dipped in peanut butter and my daughter likes rice and lentils just so she can put mayo (egg free) and ketchup on it with "sprinkles" (spices).

All 3 of my kids will fight me for my salmon sushi or sushi rolls (even the ones with the salmon roe)- weird for 6, 4 and 2 yr olds... My 2 yr old LOVES raw onions.