Menu

Best use of parenting time?

Guest Tabbyb

I love spending time with my kids and homeschooling when they were very young was great, but now that they're a little older I'm not sure. Lately I keep thinking we live in a specialized economy for a reason. Am I really going to devote twelve years of my life to mastering material and learning to teach it to ONE child? Could I be contributing to the world better some other way?

I love spending time with my kids and homeschooling when they were very young was great, but now that they're a little older I'm not sure. Lately I keep thinking we live in a specialized economy for a reason. Am I really going to devote twelve years of my life to mastering material and learning to teach it to ONE child? Could I be contributing to the world better some other way?

The world? Maybe. Your child? That's a separate consideration.

For me, it isn't about myself. It's about my children. I ask the question: Can my children be contributed to better by me or by someone else? I don't doubt that they could be contributed to by others ( and even if we homeschool I am not the only one contributing to their education or socialization or anything else). But the best contributor, even in academic areas, is me to my children. Of course, everyone has to determine that for themselves and there is no one-size-fits-all answer.

I have resolved this by considering what seven amazing humans can contribute to the world. If I can have a hand in forming an actual person that's pretty impressive. I also do other things to hopefully contribute to the world. I work with kids in GS, BS, Sunday School, etc. I worked in a " helping profession" for 15 years before kids. I don't think my impact was greater than what I'm doing now. YMMV

Perhaps you could use your desire to contribute while still directing your children's education. All of my children participate with me in meals on wheels each week. You could use your hard earned chops as a teacher to volunteer in a local school or boys or girls club (your kids can probably help too). What about offering some free tutoring at a local women's and children's shelter?

One of the things I love most about homeschooling is that it gives me the opportunity to help in my community in ways I couldn't if I were working outside my home full time. The even better part is getting to raise my children with a habit of serving others in their community.

I deny the premise. IF I choose to contribute to the world that is for my own pleasure, not because I believe that I owe the world anything. My life is my own. "The world" has no sway whatsoever on my decision to do anything. This is true for all people. If they choose to use some or all of their life in contribution to the world, it is because that is their preference, not because the world is owed squat.

The OP might have wanted to stir the hive, but it is a fair question anyway. I think it's completely possible to have both, homeschooling and help out good causes. I don't know about the world, but it's certainly plausible to help in one's community.

OP, if you're even here reading this, why don't you come back and talk? We're really a rather interesting group. I'm sure someone would love to debate on some topics and it's much more fun to have a 2-way conversation.

So do you have "kids" or do you have ONE child?

(eta: upon reading your post again, it's pretty clear you have more than one child, so why would it be teaching only one?)

In my case, I have one. He may be ONE child, but he's my child!

And it's not exactly 12 years of not being able to do anything else, ever. I contribute to society in other ways, too.

Yeah, but I'm pretty cynical so. LOL

Most cats are. :coolgleamA:

To the OP, yes, I have one child. He's still one full person, yes, I'm making a difference. As someone upstream said, it's not the only thing I do, it might be the most important thing to him though. That matters to me. 10 years into this thing and it still matters.

Yes to all of the above. I don't think it's a waste of anything at all to direct your child's education. And Carrie is right - 12 years, even 18 years, looks very small in perspective. And honestly, my kids come first. I don't subscribe to the idea or anything resembling it that they should be sacrificed "for the good of the many." I'm sure you know what I'm talking about - obviously I don't mean that they're selfish and spoiled.

Thanks lilmaids, I think your answer was the most helpful. I don't yet understand this forum well enough to do that thing where it copies someone's answer and makes it blue and I'm too overwhelmed to google it.

To the people who said they don't think anyone else could educate their kids better, I felt that way until around 3rd grade, somewhat after that, but as I think about high school I feel like it's arrogant to say I'm better than a whole team of teachers with master's degrees in their subjects. On the other hand I've been out of school so long I can't remember whether my teachers ever utilized their degrees or were tied down by textbooks and discipline. Most people worry most about math and that was my worst subject but my teachers never helped anyway, I'm thinking about the deep way my Lit teachers got me thinking about texts and the way the analyzed and taught me to write.

It's not that I'm not wanting to give my kid(s) (1 here now) all of me...or maybe it is. If I could afford private school and there was a teacher with say 15 kids that seems more efficient, and then I could go back to using my own degree. Then again my stepkids when they were school age went to a teeny private school k-12 (5 kids in their graduating classes) and it wasn't very good for them.

Anyway I'm exhausted, I snatch an hour online before bed. I'll finish reading responses tomorrow, I'm only half done.

Well, I was educated well enough to teach high school professionally and didn't know all the answers. I needed textbooks and teacher's manuals. I still use them now with my 10th grader. For those subjects that I've forgotten or don't have a good working knowledge of the subject matter, I outsource. I think you will find that most homeschooling teachers outsource at least something during the high school years. You might not be able to teach the higher grades and that's fine. No one says that you have to. And no one says that you can't do what many of us do - take it one year at a time. And no one says that you can't do what many others on this board do - send their children to private or public school and afterschool them at home (or not).

Could you explain why you started this thread? It would help us to know if you are having specific questions.

1. you do not need to master the material you help your child learn. Except for specialized teachers (like in high school) most teachers do NOT have mastery of all the material they teach. They have teacher guides for a reason. The local Catholic school, for example, used the same ABeka guide I can buy and use at home. Even at high school level, for subjects you do not feel adequate to teach, there are teacher guides for most subjects - even "teacher-in-a-can" programs on-line or computer disc that teach whatever level of math, for example, you need,

2. unless you are a scientific researcher giving up the search for the cure for some horrid disease or a musician giving up a performance career etc. etc. I think educating your kidlets if that is what works out best for your family, is more important.

3. home education does not prevent also having a part-time job or volunteer work that can still benefit the larger community outside the home.

They say charity begins at home. Now I don't view my kids as charity cases, but there's still truth in that statement. Besides, think how much we learn by schooling them. It also means we'll be even better equipped to give to the rest of the world when we're done here.

I agree with Rosie. I plan and hope to go right on teaching when my children are grown and gone.

It's a good thing I'm homeschooling now. When I teach later, I might actually know something! :)

You're setting up a false dichotomy/choice. As other posters have pointed out, the homeschooling lifestyle in no way hampers your ability to "contribute" to the world.

To the people who said they don't think anyone else could educate their kids better, I felt that way until around 3rd grade, somewhat after that, but as I think about high school I feel like it's arrogant to say I'm better than a whole team of teachers with master's degrees in their subjects. On the other hand I've been out of school so long I can't remember whether my teachers ever utilized their degrees or were tied down by textbooks and discipline. Most people worry most about math and that was my worst subject but my teachers never helped anyway, I'm thinking about the deep way my Lit teachers got me thinking about texts and the way the analyzed and taught me to write.

It's perfectly reasonable to put your child back into school whenever you decide for whatever reason. When I first started homeschooling, I was much more black/white about how much homeschooling was superior to a regular school, but with more experience I can see now that there are many good reasons to place a child back in school. However, I'm not sure you're considering all factors when you're thinking about schooling at the higher levels. It seems as if you're assuming that being a homeschooler means you must educate your child all by your lonesome self with no outside resources or even teacher guides. I would think that most homeschooled high schoolers are taking advantage of outside classes/instruction (through a coop, online classes, tutors, college courses, etc) without being enrolled full-time in a brick and mortar school. Anything subject that you feel less than qualified to teach can be outsourced, but you and your child/children remain in control of the quality of education being received and can still benefit from the flexibility of the homeschooling lifestyle.

I homeschool 6 kids (OK, now 5 since oldest is graduated!) and run our church's food pantry, serve the homeless. 3 of our 4 teens volunteer weekly at the children's hospital where dh works and the other teen volunteers at the library. They're going on a mission trip to help out Sandy victims in NJ this summer. We volunteer at a non-profit that organizes and ships out needed medical supplies around the world.

We have a very limited budget and they can't be in any outside sports/clubs/paid activities, BUT we still have a pretty full life. Volunteering and serving is FREE! :) If I can do it... :p

My kids would NEVER have the time to serve their community and the world if they were in school. Actually, this thread is a much needed reminder of that, and I'm grateful!

I think about high school I feel like it's arrogant to say I'm better than a whole team of teachers with master's degrees in their subjects.

You are making two assumptions:

1. That the teacher's have masters degrees in their fields. That is seldom the case.

2. That it matters. Given the huge percentage of college freshman that need to take remedial math and english when they enter school, I would say that whatever the degrees that teachers have, it's not helping.

Unusual for me, I suspect troll. At best, troll-ish.

I never went to an educational message board in doubt of whether or not I should attempt homeschooling. Maybe people do this -- ?

Nor do I run across people who go to an educational message board in order to defend outside schools.

The presence/absence of a "specialized economy" has nothing to do with anything. Supply the needed education from wherever you choose -- home, parochial school, public school, under a rock. . . This is a parental choice.

OP's second post comes across as pot-stir material, I do feel.

I'm going to return now to my local team of teachers: Barzun, Plato, Dickens, NASA, the Church, Braudel, . . . and all the rest of them, whether or not they hold formal graduate degrees.