Menu

Does Winter Promise always have crappy processing time?

I ordered Equine Studies at the beginning of the month. On the 11th they post a message that states they will be sending out my order sometime during that week and that I won't receive any other messages. Over a week later and still no sign of the package and no shipping update or a tracking number. The only reason I even know they processed the order is because it cleared my bank. I ordered stuff from other companies 5 days after and I have already received those products. I didn't pay for extra shipping, in fact choose the cheapest/longest.

I'm so not impressed with the company as it sits right now. This is my first time ordering from them and I have to say that I have no interest to do so again. And since I am on this rant I will continue. What company in this day and age doesn't email a receipt and a tracking number?! I just dropped nearly $200 bucks and you can't send me a message to tell me that yes my order went through and here is how to track it to make sure it is headed in the right direction? Over 2 weeks just to processes an order?

I think I need to go drink some PMS tea and take a few deep breaths. With my luck the package will show up today just because I threw this tantrum.

But honestly, Do they always take so freaking long?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually ordered a few things from them (ONLY their exclusives...got everything else from Amazon) and I checked in via email within 2 days of ordering each time. I believe they shipped within 2 weeks and I got everything by the 3rd week. I have to say that I think they print stuff at time of order which might be why it takes so long?

I actually ordered a few things from them (ONLY their exclusives...got everything else from Amazon) and I checked in via email within 2 days of ordering each time. I believe they shipped within 2 weeks and I got everything by the 3rd week. I have to say that I think they print stuff at time of order which might be why it takes so long?

Sounds just like what happened when we ordered Equine Science. Email them, early and often. Stay on them. When your order comes, makes sure it is complete and if not, email them immediately.

They were quite responsive to emails, but I was also frustrated that it took over a month to get all the parts of my order. I'm glad my dd is loving ES, but yeah, I would definitely hesitate to order from them again.

None of this is very encouraging. :)

That's what I get for not reading reviews about a company. Not that it would have mattered. As far as I could find they are the only company to have this program (of any variety). So frustrated especially since I have a very anxious dd waiting to get her hands on horse stuff. Grrr.

yep, call them! I would call them whenever I had the time lol! I use them, have done 2 themes so far, and plan on doing another. I have learned to only order exclusives from them. I love their stuff, so it's worth the hassle to me, but I order early (before I need it), and call them often. Yeah, how in the world in 2013 can a co. take sooo long to process an order? It is kinda weird when you think of it. When you call them and complain abt it, they are always so kind, but act very suprised even shocked that these things happenned, like they never heard it before.

I ordered some books to supplement what we were doing a few years ago. I had the same experience as some others - the order took a terribly long time to process and came in bits & pieces, not all at once. Two of the items were even shipped to me from Amazon. It was about 3 months before we had everything I ordered from them. I will not order from them again.

I just ordered from them in the end of January (all exclusives - 4 items) and everything arrived in one package within 10 days of my order. I ordered a package a couple years ago and also had no issues with shipping. I've read the horror stories here but I have had 2 positive experiences, one within the last few weeks.

I've done a couple of their complete programs, and each time the shipping was long and unacceptable. Like someone else mentioned above, once I didn't even get everything that I ordered. I followed up with them a bunch, and each time I called, I got something else, but finally I gave up. We were moving and I had a gazillion things on my mind and it just wasn't worth it. I'm sure I would have gotten everything if I kept on calling, and I probably should have. That said, I'm sure I will order from them again, even knowing all I do. I like their products, and they are helpful and friendly when you call. They just can't seem to get the shipping together, and really, there is no excuse for that. I don't understand it. Last year they went to a primarily electronic format for many of their products, and that is probably a good thing. I'm thinking of ordering Quest for the Ancient World, and I will get the print/electronic combo. There are not too many print products, so here's hoping there won't be issues.

I have also had very positive experiences with them. I have ordered from them 3 or 4 times and I have only had one issue. I called them and they corrected it right away. Their shipping wasn't super fast, but it wasn't slow enough to bother me either. They time I did call them they were super helpful and went out of their way to correct the problem. I've heard the horror stories, but I have only had positive experiences. I plan to order from them again soon. My daughter really enjoys their book selections.

Suzanne

It wasn't even the initial long wait that bothered me so much, it was that they sent half the order then . . . nothing. For weeks. If I hadn't started emailing and calling to hassle them, I don't think I ever would have gotten the rest of it. So it's QC, more than shipping time, that bothers me. If you are going to spend that much money, you want to be confident that they will follow through with actually sending you what you paid for.

It took months for us to get the curriculum we ordered. It came in bits and pieces. Had to call many, many times. Never received one of the books. Was mailed several books that I didn't order (and thus had to mail back to them).

Contrast that with the 2 days it takes to get my entire order from Sonlight.

In their defense, they were very polite and did give me some credit to use at a future date. In the end we did like the program. Unfortunately, they don't want you to sell any of their instructor guides. I would really prefer to recoup some money from this program (and let someone else enjoy it) rather than have it gather dust in my attic.

We had the same experience as most people. I ordered two complete history studies and it took FOREVER to get everything. Also there were mistakes like getting two of one book but missing another book. It was frustrating. I really like their book choices but after my experiences with them I went to HOD and have been happy.

Good luck!

Elise in NC

I have had both good and bad experiences with the shipping and customer service.

They are super nice folks but that doesn't undo the customer service issues. I just wish they could get the shipping/inventory stuff worked out. They have some really neat programs that my son would love. I may order from them in the future, but I will only order exclusives that I can't get anywhere else. That seems to be the key...they have exclusives in stock, but don't maintain inventory of the other books.

I hope it all shows up soon so you can get started!

It just occurred to me that it is a common theme in WP threads that they are always so nice. There are almost always problems, but when people call they are soooo nice. And today, reading that for the gazillionth time, a thought dawned on me. Know who else is always so nice? Con artists. Seriously, I am starting to wonder, because there is no way they don't know what their reputation is in 2013. And yet...

When you call them and complain abt it, they are always so kind, but act very suprised even shocked that these things happenned, like they never heard it before.

I think it is an act. I bet they have read the negative threads, here and elsewhere. Even if they haven't, they have certainly received enough irate phone calls and e-mails that they couldn't possibly be unaware of their problems with order fulfillment. I think they feign ignorance. Really, I do. And their behavior is completely inexcusable. It is a wonder that they are still on business!

I personally think feigning ignorance about abysmal customer service while continuing to take people's hard-earned money for products that are not on hand for shipment is absolutely a con. Telling people repeatedly that their product or missing parts of their product will be shipped out shortly and then not shipping them out is a con. Nice folks or not.

I personally think feigning ignorance about abysmal customer service while continuing to take people's hard-earned money for products that are not on hand for shipment is absolutely a con. Telling people repeatedly that their product or missing parts of their product will be shipped out shortly and then not shipping them out is a con. Nice folks or not.

Exactly.

I wonder what would happen if hundreds of customers returned incomplete programs (within the time allowed), asked for refunds (on the basis of not having received what was ordered), and set up credit card disputes if necessary?

BTW, I am in no way suggesting that people do this on purpose. That would be deception and probably a crime in some way.

Part of the problem with the slow shipping is that it totally ruins their return policy. By the time I received all the materials and could make a good judgement over whether the program would work for us, the return period had run out. We did not order at crunch time. We ordered in early spring (though that may be busy too, with people using their tax returns).

It took months for us to get the curriculum we ordered. It came in bits and pieces. Had to call many, many times. Never received one of the books. Was mailed several books that I didn't order (and thus had to mail back to them).

Contrast that with the 2 days it takes to get my entire order from Sonlight.

In their defense, they were very polite and did give me some credit to use at a future date. In the end we did like the program. Unfortunately, they don't want you to sell any of their instructor guides. I would really prefer to recoup some money from this program (and let someone else enjoy it) rather than have it gather dust in my attic.

Oh gracious.. trigger issue for me. Seriously what are you supposed to do with it? Burn it??

Someone explain to me how writing .."Do not resell" on the front of it is within their right if they are selling you the book?? Can you imagine if you wrote a novel or a cookbook or anything (which would be your own hard work and intellectual property) and then wrote in the front, "Do not resell". Used bookstores would laugh at you! Once you sell a book, it's the property of the person who purchased it and you do not have the right to tell them what they can or can't do with it. (Edited to add.. beyond not making copy of it to sell etc.. Obviously, but that is covered already by copyright law and not what I am talking about!)

Now, if you were purchasing a subscription to it, or renting it.... different story. But that's not the case here. Seriously, I don't get it.

Exactly.

I wonder what would happen if hundreds of customers returned incomplete programs (within the time allowed), asked for refunds (on the basis of not having received what was ordered), and set up credit card disputes if necessary?

BTW, I am in no way suggesting that people do this on purpose. That would be deception and probably a crime in some way.

Well, without rehashing the issues I had with WP a couple years ago, I do want to issue a warning.

If you decide to return, return what you have already received within the return period. I waited too long to file with my credit card company and had to pitch an absolute fit to get a refund from WP when I didn't have my order after 4 full months (I was overly patient...). It took me 6 or 8 weeks more (don't remember which) to get my refund.

So leave yourself some leeway when dealing with WP. Know the return policy. Now it is a six week return from the day you place your order.

I was especially irritated with their forum (which I think is down now?) because every response they gave to posts was about how they needed to pay for a license to use with extra children or about how you weren't allowed to resell. They gave NO assistance or advice on using the programs, but seemed to "troll" their own forum for ways to harp on their no sell policy. It was VERY off putting.

I think it is an act. I bet they have read the negative threads, here and elsewhere. Even if they haven't, they have certainly received enough irate phone calls and e-mails that they couldn't possibly be unaware of their problems with order fulfillment. I think they feign ignorance. Really, I do. And their behavior is completely inexcusable. It is a wonder that they are still on business!

Well someone wrote this on their facebook wall in the beginning of January: "Also, can you please tell me how your shipping works? I've heard some not so good stories about not getting items etc." I noticed they responded to the post above and below hers but ignored her. That really bothers me. So I agree with you about feigning ignorance. The sad thing is I LOVE their programs (that I've seen or look into) but I get such a bad feeling because they represent themselves as a Christian company but then don't seem to mind ripping people off. I can see having growing pains in the first couple of years but this company has been running since 2006 or 2007. I'll continue to use part of their curriculum but will be buying used except for the exclusives.

I had looked at their curric but because of all the negativity about the shipping didn't order it till I saw they had ebooks. So I did order the ebooks but only recieved part of it. When I emailed and asked about I was told it wasn't ready and would be ready in X amount of time and I would get it then. Of course, I didn't but when I needed it I emailed again, and they did send it.

I like their stuff and really like their notebook pages but I wouldn't order something that had to be mailed and wouldn't order any ebooks if I needed them right away.

It's really weird that they take so long to ship like this and there is NO way they do not know of all these complaints.

Well I bit the bullet and posted on their FB page but it is not showing up for me. So hrmmmm?

They responded to you: "Thank you for asking. We have always struggled with getting our inventory in. In recent years we have hoped that we would have it solved so that we could deliver our product to our customers in the manner that they deserve. This year we made some significant decisions that will finally give us the ability to get in inventory at needed levels. I cannot go into the specifics of the decision, but it will make a real difference. As a small family business this problem has caused us significant distress. More than I could describe. But this year will be different and it will be the start of changing this aspect of our reputation. We are hoping that people will give us another opportunity to earn their trust."

They responded to you: "Thank you for asking. We have always struggled with getting our inventory in. In recent years we have hoped that we would have it solved so that we could deliver our product to our customers in the manner that they deserve. This year we made some significant decisions that will finally give us the ability to get in inventory at needed levels. I cannot go into the specifics of the decision, but it will make a real difference. As a small family business this problem has caused us significant distress. More than I could describe. But this year will be different and it will be the start of changing this aspect of our reputation. We are hoping that people will give us another opportunity to earn their trust."

Would those secret decisions include keeping material in stock? Sales projections? Cash flow adequate for purchasing inventory?

I really don't like the pitiful-sounding "small family business" card. Either start a real business or scale down/adapt so your existing family can run the business (even if someone gets sick or takes a vacation in China).

I can't help thinking of one of my favorite small family businesses, Homeschool in the Woods. Amy Pak has designed her business so that a lot of her materials are instantly downloadable; the rest get sent out almost immediately (in my experience). Everything seems in control. Plus, Amy has time to answer questions personally and promptly. Not to mention that you are getting really original, well thought out material presented in an easy to use manner.

I'm wondering if maybe they're going to stop offering anything but exclusives or make everything in e-book form. The terms and conditions aren't ideal with those either, and the price is still pretty high. It'd be nice to see the ease of use there increase.

I don't think they sell the "adventure reading" books anymore, so maybe they'll do the same for the spines and other supplementary titles.

I've had the usual shipping issues when I ordered a full "core," but no issues when I updated an IG. I'm considering AS1 next year (only buying exclusives), but I'm going to wait and see what the big decision is first.

don't know if they are con artists, but they seem to have absolutely no clue how to run a business. I ordered things from them in the first couple years they had started. There were tons of complaints back then and ever since then. There are always excuses "we're moving", "our emails went missing", "unexpected growth this year" and always "this time we have fixed it and it will be better".

I really don't think they are out to cheat people, but the way they handle things is still very, very wrong IMO. I read in disbelief every time one of these threads comes up, here or elsewhere, and their defenders will always tell people to keep calling and pestering them because they are just so nice. In what other business would we think this is okay, to have to call every few days and badger a company to make sure they send every single book we order (and PAY for, weeks or months before they ever ship it-- do they still do this, charge for it right away, and is this even legal?? I think it is not).

I had a problem with them a few years ago (other than the usual problems of having to badger and wait forever to get all my books). I received two copies of the same book from them through Amazon. I contacted them and expected them to send me a postage-paid envelope or label to send it back, or just tell me to keep the book, as many businesses would do since it was their mistake to begin with. Instead, I got the old "we are a small business" line and they asked me to send it back media mail and they would then reimburse me. So I hauled my pregnant self with small children and stood in line at the po and mailed it, and emailed them the amount, with no response. Tried several times over months and they never answered any of my emails.

Over a year later, long after I had forgotten about it, a check for a couple dollars shows up in the mail. :bored: So they did make it right. Which makes me think that they do want to do the right thing, but must be the most disorganized homeschool business ever.

I have heard overwhelmingly negative things about WP's shipping. I wouldn't ever order from them. I'm sorry you're having a rough time.

Yeah this. I like the look of some of their stuff but I'm very turned off of so many stories of horrible customer service. And not just one or two, but lots of people have similar stories of being ignored, things taking forever to ship, shipments being wrong and WP taking forever to correct them, and even people saying that WP was rude and snippy about having to do so. I have to wonder if WP is aware of their reputation. I am at least one person that represents lost business to them. Perhaps in the future if I hear all sorts of glowing reports that they've completely turned things around. :)