Menu

Quick Reference for Seed Companies NOT owned by Monsanto

Liz CA

Just thought I paste this here in case a few of you are already getting seed catalogs and are looking forward to planting but don't want to buy anything from Monsanto.

This list comes from the website "The Healthy Home Economist."

All Good Things Organic

Amishland Seeds

Annapolis Valley Heritage Seed Company

Annie’s Heirloom Seeds

Baker Creek Seed Co.

Botanical Interests

Bountiful Gardens

Diane’s Flower Seeds (she has veggies now, too)

Fedco Seed Co. - phasing out seminis seeds.

Fisher’s Seeds - 406-388-6052 They don’t have a website, but they will send you a catalog if you give them your address

PO Box 236, Belgrade, MT 59714

Garden City Seeds

Gourmet Seed

Heirlooms Evermore Seeds

Heirloom Seeds

High Mowing Seeds

Horizon Herbs

Hudson Valley Seed Library

Humbleseeds

Irish-Eyes

J.L Hudson

Johnny’s Seeds

Kitchen Garden Seeds

Kusa Seed Society

Lake Valley Seeds

Landreth Seeds

Larner Seeds

Livingston Seeds

Local Harvest

Mountain Rose Herbs

Native Seeds for the Arid Southwest

Natural Gardening Company

New Hope Seed Company

Nichol’s Garden Nursery

Organica Seed

Peace Seeds

Peaceful Valley Farm Supply

Pinetree

Prairie Road Garden

Renee’s Garden

Richters Herbs

Sand Hill Preservation Center

Seed Saver’s Exchange

Seeds of Change

Seeds Trust

Southern Exposure

Sow True

Sustainable Seed Co

Territorial Seed Company

Tiny Seeds

Tomato Fest

Trees of Antiquity

Turtle Tree Seed

Underwood Garden Seeds

Uprising Seeds

Victory Seeds

Wild Garden Seeds

Wildseed Farms

Wood Prairie Farm

Canadian Seed Companies:

Greta’s Organic Garden

Salt Spring Seeds

Seeds of Victoria

Solana Seeds

Terra Edibles

The Cottage Gardener

West Coast Seeds

Here’s a list of seed varieties owned by Monsanto’s Seminis in case you’re buying some at a big box store or similar:

Beans:
Aliconte, Brio, Bronco, Cadillac, Ebro, Etna, Eureka, Festina, Gina, Goldmine, Goldenchild, Labrador, Lynx, Magnum, Matador, Spartacus, Storm, Strike, Stringless Blue Lake 7, Tapia, Tema

Broccoli:
Coronado Crown, Major, Packman

Cabbage:
Atlantis, Golden Acre, Headstart, Platinum Dynasty, Red Dynasty

Carrot:
Bilbo, Envy, Forto, Juliana, Karina, Koroda PS, Royal Chantenay, Sweetness III

Cauliflower:
Cheddar, Minuteman

Cucumber:
Babylon, Cool Breeze Imp., Dasher II, Emporator, Eureka, Fanfare HG, Marketmore 76, Mathilde, Moctezuma, Orient Express II, Peal, Poinsett 76, Salad Bush, Sweet Slice, Sweet Success PS, Talladega

Eggplant:
Black Beauty, Fairytale, Gretel, Hansel, Lavender Touch, Twinkle, White Lightening

Hot Pepper:
Anaheim TMR 23, Ancho Saint Martin, Big Bomb, Big Chile brand of Sahuaro, Caribbean Red, Cayenne Large Red Thick, Chichen Itza, Chichimeca, Corcel, Garden Salsa SG, Habanero, Holy Mole brand of Salvatierro, Hungarian Yellow Wax Hot, Ixtapa X3R, Lapid, Mariachi brand of Rio de Oro, Mesilla, Milta, Mucho Nacho brand of Grande, Nainari, Serrano del Sol brand of Tuxtlas, Super Chile, Tam Vera Cruz

Lettuce:
Braveheart, Conquistador

Melon:
Early Dew, Sante Fe, Saturno

Onion:
Candy, Cannonball, Century, Red Zeppelin, Savannah Sweet, Sierra Blanca, Sterling, Vision

Pumpkin:
Applachian, Harvest Moon, Jamboree HG, Orange Smoothie, Phantom, Prize Winner, Rumbo, Snackface, Spirit, Spooktacular, Trickster

Spinach:
Hellcat

Squash:
Ambassador, Canesi, Clarita, Commander, Dixie, Early Butternut, Gold Rush, Grey Zucchini, Greyzini, Lolita, Papaya Pear, Peter Pan, Portofino, President, Richgreen Hybrid Zucchini, Storr’s Green, Sungreen, Sunny Delight, Taybelle PM

Sweet Corn:
Devotion, Fantasia, Merit, Obession, Passion, Temptation

Sweet Pepper:
Baron, Bell Boy, Big Bertha PS, Biscayne, Blushing Beauty, Bounty, California Wonder 300, Camelot, Capistrano, Cherry Pick, Chocolate Beauty, Corno Verde, Cubanelle W, Dumpling brand of Pritavit, Early Sunsation, Flexum, Fooled You brand of Dulce, Giant Marconi, Gypsy, Jumper, Key West, King Arthur, North Star, Orange Blaze, Pimiento Elite, Red Knight, Satsuma, Socrates, Super Heavyweight, Sweet Spot

Tomato:
Amsterdam, Beefmaster, Betterboy, Big Beef, Burpee’s Big Boy, Caramba, Celebrity, Cupid, Early Girl, Granny Smith, Health Kick, Husky Cherry Red, Jetsetter brand of Jack, Lemon Boy, Margharita, Margo, Marmande VF PS, Marmara, Patio, Phoenix, Poseidon 43, Roma VF, Royesta, Sun Sugar, Super Marzano, Sweet Baby Girl, Tiffany, Tye-Dye, Viva Italia, Yaqui

Watermelon:
Apollo, Charleston Grey, Crimson Glory, Crimson Sweet, Eureka, Jade Star, Mickylee, Olympia

Note: Not all of the veggie varieties in the above list are Monsanto/Seminis exclusives. Consequently if you spot some of these varieties in the catalog of an heirloom seed-seller, just check with the seller to make sure the seeds were not purchased from Seminis/Monsanto. But if you find these seeds on a rack at a big-box garden center, you have every right to suspect they were purchased from Monsanto.

Dumb question, I get why we don't want to give Monsanto our biz but are all there plants also GMO? My mom just ordered a big order from Park Seeds and Burpee, should I be worried its GMO garbage?

This is always a hard question. Some people (who are very active in this field - anti GMO, etc.) are convinced that anything coming from Monsanto is in one form or another GMO.

I am piggy backing on their research because I don't have the time to dig deep and see for myself. I would rather avoid anything GMO, therefore I gladly make use of lists like this one, posted by Sarah Pope who is on the forefront of many of these issues, because I know her to be diligent and given the choice, I'd rather err on the organic, non-Monsanto side than buy something wondering if...

I don't know if you should lie awake at night pondering this and if your Mom hands you some Burpee beans, you will probably be fine. I would not fill my garden with seeds that are "suspect" to me because if I am spending money, I'd rather spend it on something I can feel good about. But as I am trying to say, this is a rather personal issue.

BlueTaelon, My concern with anything coming from Monsanto is because I dislike their bullying, terroristic activities to farmers who want to save seed or who's fields are infiltrated from others by GMO seeds (i.e. the farmer doesn't buy Monsanto seed but next door they do and original farmer gets sued by Monsanto and run out of business through no fault of his own) and I don't want to give any funds to them or companies who support them.

My personal issues with GMOs are that we have no research that shows what kind of long term issues may happen from consumption of GMOs.

For Canadians, I've had years of good experience with Heritage Harvest Seed. She actually collects these seeds herself and grows them herself. If it won't withstand prairie weather, she doesn't offer it, so you can be sure that these seeds will hold up under our rough climates.

FWIW, I am very diligent about my seeds and I harbour a deep, seething loathing for all things Monsanto.

Thank you! I highly recommend Territorial Seed Company. It is a family run business in my area.

:iagree:

Territorial did carry seeds from a Monsanto-owned company (Semini) for a time after Semini was purchased by Monsanto, but as of 2012 they no longer carry them. There was a rumor that Territorial was purchased by or run by or taken over by Monsanto, but it is false.

Cat

BlueTaelon, My concern with anything coming from Monsanto is because I dislike their bullying, terroristic activities to farmers who want to save seed or who's fields are infiltrated from others by GMO seeds (i.e. the farmer doesn't buy Monsanto seed but next door they do and original farmer gets sued by Monsanto and run out of business through no fault of his own) and I don't want to give any funds to them or companies who support them.

My personal issues with GMOs are that we have no research that shows what kind of long term issues may happen from consumption of GMOs.

We've seen the bullying first hand here. It's so disgusting. They are my #1 most hated anything in this country right now.

We've seen the bullying first hand here. It's so disgusting. They are my #1 most hated anything in this country right now.

This is my issue. I had no idea about Monsanto until I watched Food Inc. Then I had my eyes opened and time and time again I've heard just awful things about them. Now they have commercials with "family farmers" touting how they are just like you and want "good wholesome food for their families". It makes me want to vomit!!! It makes me so angry.

My second hated thing is the administrations that constantly give them a Big, Fat, Pass.

They hate them before they get elected, then, after the election the money makes that righteous indignation go away.

I would love some Justice.

I have been on these sites for TWO DAYS.

My dad just bought a bigger greenhouse and it's going up this weekend.

But I have to say, though I love Baker Creek, I am so happy that these smaller companies were posted because I'm placing orders with smaller companies. Spread the love!

I am pretty sure Fedco has phased out most of their Seminis seeds. They have pledged (as of 1996) not to knowingly sell any transgenic varieties (as we have heard cross contamination can occur and they test their corn and beets for this), and I believe they are were party to the recent lawsuit against Monsanto. They include supplier codes for each seed variety (a number in a little circle in the listing: 5 is the only number that comes from multinationals that engage in genetic engineering, but the particular seed is not genetically engineered). They are inexpensive, and I have had great luck with all their seeds. They do not print a photo catalog but there are photos online. They DO give you a hint about how the taste of the varieties differs which I like.

Yes, they are! I knew the guy who started the business (actually taught RE - UU sunday school - with his wife) and the guy who bought it from him and moved it to the cooperative was my housemate for years. I dont actually garden but i wish i did so i could have a good reason to buy their seeds!

• 1 month later...

For Canadians, I've had years of good experience with Heritage Harvest Seed. She actually collects these seeds herself and grows them herself. If it won't withstand prairie weather, she doesn't offer it, so you can be sure that these seeds will hold up under our rough climates.

FWIW, I am very diligent about my seeds and I harbour a deep, seething loathing for all things Monsanto.

Boy, you and I think alike. I cannot even say how I feel about Monsanto because it makes my blood pressure rise!

Baker Creek is my favorite and their seeds have had some of the best sprouting rates of any we've purchased. My dad is just learning about seed saving, so I'm very excited about that. We'll have several rows in the garden this year from saved seeds. I hope it goes well. Just in case, we are putting in more Baker Creek along with the others to insure we have a good harvest.

Faith

Boy, you and I think alike. I cannot even say how I feel about Monsanto because it makes my blood pressure rise!

Baker Creek is my favorite and their seeds have had some of the best sprouting rates of any we've purchased. My dad is just learning about seed saving, so I'm very excited about that. We'll have several rows in the garden this year from saved seeds. I hope it goes well. Just in case, we are putting in more Baker Creek along with the others to insure we have a good harvest.

Faith

This may be a dumb question but is seed saving not common? I thought that's just what you do at the end of the season but I grew up in a family that gardens and seed saving from year to year is what I was taught. The only time we buy new seeds is when growing something for the first time.

This may be a dumb question but is seed saving not common? I thought that's just what you do at the end of the season but I grew up in a family that gardens and seed saving from year to year is what I was taught. The only time we buy new seeds is when growing something for the first time.

In our area, it's not but it's because many families hobby garden and not to produce a significant amount of food...just a few, family favorites. So, they do not want to allow a portion of their plants to go to seed. It's kind of a lost art form. However, as gardens are slowly expanding, has been happening over the last three years with the economy in the toilet, people are beginning to ask, "How do I harvest and store seed?" Prior to our concerns about Monsanto, dad just bought seed every year and we harvested everything in the garden. Now, we purchase from Baker Creek, but we are learning the best methods for saving seeds for each crop. Hopefully, our germination rates will be high. But, we didn't have an ideal environment this past autumn for storage, working on that more for this year, so we'll see.

I'm sure it's more common in other locales - just a uniqueness of each micro-culture. If one doesn't want to avoid non-organic seeds or doesn't care about heirloom varieties, then seeds are incredibly cheap in our area, hence most people not bothering to save any.

Faith

Yes, they are! I knew the guy who started the business (actually taught RE - UU sunday school - with his wife) and the guy who bought it from him and moved it to the cooperative was my housemate for years. I dont actually garden but i wish i did so i could have a good reason to buy their seeds!

I agree! SE is right down the road from me and I love them!

I ordered from Southern Exposure on 2/20 and they just mailed my seeds today. I'm not sure if that's the standard time rate to process the order or not but they are on their way!!!!

Re: seed saving. Here not many people garden let alone save seed. We might try to this year because I'm hoping to eventually get some adapted stuff from seed saving from good producers and all of that.

Thanks! Does anyone have a favorite company from the above list they would recommend? I really like Horizon herbs, but have not had good luck with seeds from Seeds of Change.

Is where I order my seeds. I cannot rave enough about that company. :) Every year we plant the black cherry tomatoes they have listed, they are my kid's favorites.

• 1 month later...

I don't know about this. Can someone tell me about the bullying part?