Menu

Jan. meal planning- who's all in?

mhaddon

I don 't mean to steal the thread, but how do you guys do this kind of planning?? Do you look through your calendar and if you have a busy afternoon you plan an easy dinner?

I just end up often feeling like I planned something difficult (ish) to make when I had a harder day.

Also, there are so many days where I planned to make, say, lasanga, and everyone really felt like having something entirely different. How do you deal w/ that?

Alley

LOL...If I make it, they eat it, or they don't get dinner. I don't take a poll on what everyone wants. My kids will ask what's for dinner, and I tell them, and nobody is allowed to complain about it. I also always take into account what our busy nights will be for the week, and those are crockpot meals. That way we don't throw in the towel and go out to eat.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don 't mean to steal the thread, but how do you guys do this kind of planning?? Do you look through your calendar and if you have a busy afternoon you plan an easy dinner? I just end up often feeling like I planned something difficult (ish) to make when I had a harder day. Also, there are so many days where I planned to make, say, lasanga, and everyone really felt like having something entirely different. How do you deal w/ that? Alley

That's why I plan the main dishes but don't assign dates. At the beginning of each week, I look at the list, and pick what works for our upcoming week. I don't usually ask, I just tell them what we're having. Since there are only 3 of us, I'll occasionally ask if they want this or that tonight, but that's the extent of their choices.

I don 't mean to steal the thread, but how do you guys do this kind of planning?? Do you look through your calendar and if you have a busy afternoon you plan an easy dinner?

I just end up often feeling like I planned something difficult (ish) to make when I had a harder day.

Also, there are so many days where I planned to make, say, lasanga, and everyone really felt like having something entirely different. How do you deal w/ that?

Alley

I pick 6 or 7 items for any given week from the month's list. Nothing I make is really too time consuming unless I just want it to be. I don't assign a meal to a specific day. I just know I'll be making all of the things I chose at some point during the week. I check the calendar for commitments that will impact dinner. I don't poll the family before I decide. I make things most of us like anyway. If dinner isn't someone's favorite, well then, maybe tomorrow night will be.

When the olders were younger, we had a routine that's become standard. It goes like this:

Child: Mom? What's for dinner?

Me: Food.

Child: Right, but what kind of food?

Me: Edible food.

Child: /chuckles and wanders off to do something else or offers to help/

Sooo...everyone knows that we will have edible food every night lol. Works for me. ;)

Alley

Yes, I plan our meals according to what we have going on. For example, on Tuesdays, we are gone from the house from 3:30-5:45 for dd5's dance class. Since we're usually hungry when we get home, I know that I don't want to come home and have to start prepping dinner. So I usually plan crockpot meals for Tuesdays.

Do you happen to have recipes handy for any of the above? Your whole menu sounded like things we would eat here, so I am curious about these! :)

I put links with the recipes that I have handy! The rest are things that I make from memory!

1/9 salisbury steaks with mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans

1/10 Creamy Bacon Carbonara with Chicken, roasted broccoli - http://www.justgetoffyourbuttandbake.com/?p=2094

1/11 Proscuitto Wrapped Chicken thighs, roasted red potatoes, asparagus - http://www.staceysnacksonline.com/2010/12/prosciutto-wrapped-chicken-thighs.html

1/14 Chicken Cordon bleu, roasted veggies

1/15 Crockpot beef & broccoli, fried rice - http://jennifersikora.com/2012/09/crockpot-beef-and-broccoli/

1/16 Chicken Ranch tacos, rice, beans, corn

1/17 Roasted Pork in a Baguette, green beans or salad - http://joanneweir.com/recipes/mains/pork-roasted-the-way-the-tuscan-do.html (this is the basic recipe, but i use rosemary instead of sage)

1/22 Chicken Parm Meatballs, spaghetti, Italian bread, salad http://www.dinneralovestory.com/chicken-parm-meatballs/

I put links with the recipes that I have handy! The rest are things that I make from memory!

1/9 salisbury steaks with mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans

1/10 Creamy Bacon Carbonara with Chicken, roasted broccoli - http://www.justgetof...ake.com/?p=2094

1/11 Proscuitto Wrapped Chicken thighs, roasted red potatoes, asparagus - http://www.staceysna...ken-thighs.html

1/14 Chicken Cordon bleu, roasted veggies

1/15 Crockpot beef & broccoli, fried rice - http://jennifersikor...f-and-broccoli/

1/16 Chicken Ranch tacos, rice, beans, corn

1/17 Roasted Pork in a Baguette, green beans or salad - http://joanneweir.co...-tuscan-do.html (this is the basic recipe, but i use rosemary instead of sage)

1/22 Chicken Parm Meatballs, spaghetti, Italian bread, salad http://www.dinneralo...parm-meatballs/

Thank you, I really appreciate it! :)

Alley

I do a lot of prep. If there's a day where no one feels like having X, I swap days or I usually have the ingredients for a simple substitute or lunch food.

Here's my month, I'm afraid I don't have anything you ladies didn't already have above me. Wednesdays are homemade pizza and Fridays are breakfast for dinner nights. I just listed the main dish and will have rice, veggies or some side.

1. Burritos

2. Pizza

3. Salad

4. Waffles

5. Cottage Pie

6. Quesadillas

7. Monkey Brains (sloppy joes)

8. Chicken Korma

9. Pizza

10. Broccoli Cheese Soup

11. Breakfast Burritos

12. BBQ Chicken

13. Teriyaki Chicken

14. Spaghetti

15. Chicken Noodle Soup

16. Pizza

17. Bean Burritos

18. Pancakes

19. Hamburgers

20. Cowboy Beans

21. Kiddo's Birthday

22. Lemon Pepper Chicken

23. Pizza

24. Minestrone

25. Eggs and Toast

26. Grilled Cheese.

27. Fish Fingers.

28. Spaghetti

29. Tuna Noodle Casserole

30. Pizza

31. Ravioli

There is no way I can plan the whole month out since baby is due in 3 weeks so sometime this month everyone will be scattered for a while. Plus some days I just have no energy to cook and we pull out a freezer meal. But I have a few days worth so far (mostly stolen from ideas in the last few days. Also I don't usually plan sides and veggies as I just pull together something from what I have/feel like making that day.

29th Baked Fish with Tomato Herb Sauce over mashed potatoes

30th Korean Beef over rice

31st and 1st we have family event so won't be home for dinner

2nd Roast Sticky Chicken in the crockpot and roasted potatoes (either red or sweet since I've got both on hand right now but not both because we don't like them mixed)

3rd Onion and Bacon tart from Saveur that was posted here

4th Creamy Chicken and Bacon Carbonara that someone posted above

5th Chicken Soup

6th-9th Easy stuff as my husband is out of town and the kids aren't as picky about eating leftovers and odd assortments I find in the freezer

After that I don't have specific days in mind but we will have a baked ham at some point and follow it up with ham and bean soup. My brain is too fried to think much farther out than that.

I do weekly because I make menu's as to what's on sale. I subscribed to the Fresh 20 website and have been using it as a jumping point for my meal planning. Some dishes I don't make because I know that they won't be received well at all and then some I put for the next week if I know something is coming up on sale.

I plan on making all the dishes in this weeks lineup, but I also plan to make a couple from previous weeks. Because I have access to all the archived recipes, I even schedule lunches and weekends.

I also have a good amount of food I need to start rotating out (by using it) and restocking a little at a time. I will be doing that this year as we buckle down our finances and use what we have first. Plus with a large cow in the back that will need to go in to the larger freezer this spring, I will not be purchasing any frozen goods at all. Told DH that we have got to start getting those freezers down.

Here's what I have for the next two weeks:

Dec. 30: Filet Mignon with Au Gratin potatoes and salad

Dec. 31: New Years Eve Party (bringing Firecracker Shrimp & white chocolate brownies)

Jan. 1: New Years Day Party (bringing cookies and cornbread)

Jan. 2: Sesame Shrimp with Jasmine Rice and fruit

Jan. 3: Chicken Pesto Casserole

Jan. 4: Soups (variety of cans available), Sands, Leftovers (take your pick)

Jan. 5: Eat Out/Macaroni Grill

Jan. 6: Grilled Boneless Pork Chops with White Cheddar Risotto & Salad

Jan. 7: Chicken Noodle Soup

Jan. 8: Crock Chicken Creole with Long Rice and Salad/Fruit

Jan. 9: Eat at Church

Jan. 10: Guys leftovers/Me eat at meeting

Jan. 11: Soups (variety of cans available), Sands, Leftovers (take your pick)

Jan. 12: Traveling, leaving Fr. pizza for boys

Jan. 13: Order Chinese or pizza (if we don't eat on the road)

Alley

I'm the mom, I balance the meals to make sure everyone is getting nutritious filling meals (repeat as needed lol). Since no one likes to help, then they get what is served. Only recently has DD started expressing an interest in meal preps. :)

Also my family knows that I don't set meals in stone. I also make sure I have a few quick items for those nights when stuff happens and I do use my crockpot. We've also got better at making sandwiches to take along in the car. I bought insulated lunch boxes a couple of years ago when they were clearanced and a few sturdy thermos's to take on the days that we have places to go. Warm soups on cold days are so nice instead of a cold sandwhich...Just gotta think ahead a little and realize that the meal plans are not set in stone.

I plan weekly. Rest of the week- Salmon patties, mashed potatoes and peas Pork loin baked with apples Hawaiian slider ham n cheese

Hawaiian sliders - sounds yummy! Details, please?

Here's my January list. We probably won't get to everything on it, since things come up and we end up eating out sometimes. The only date that is meal specific is New Year's Day. Dh likes hoppin' john (black-eyed peas) so I'll make that but without the greens. No one likes collard or mustard greens so we usually just have a salad. For the most part I don't plan sides because I order from a produce co-op weekly. Sides are based on what comes that week. I also list by categories, so for example if I want to do something with the meatballs I have in the freezer, I just have to look at one general area of the list. Jan 1st - Hoppin' John, cornbread, tomatoes, salad January meals: shrimp creole fish tacos with lime cream sauce pork roast pulled pork sandwiches pork chops with apples and onions cranberry pork chops herbed pork tenderloin pork tenderloin with red cabbage minestrone soup chili lentil soup tomato-basil soup and grilled cheese sandwiches split pea soup with ham red beans and rice meatball subs meatballs and gravy meatloaf tacos roast chicken chicken enchiladas fried rice with whatever leftover meat we have baked potato bar, salad tortellini with pesto sauce, tomato salad breakfast casserole French toast, bacon, fresh strawberries homemade or take & bake pizza We will go out for dinner on or near our anniversary. We'll also have several leftovers or clean out the fridge nights. Anything on the list I don't make this month will roll over to February's list.

I love your list! Maybe I will skip planning and just come knock on your door at dinnertime. :rofl:

We are actually trying to eat very simply in the coming months to help one of our kids overcome some weight and food sensitivity issues. I'd like to drop a few pounds myself. I am just going to go by the week, and instead of a list I'm working on designing a chart with columns. First column for day/date, second column for protein item, third column for carbohydrate item, next column for veggie and then a column for dairy (which may or may not come with every meal). After we get in the habit of seeing what proper portion sizes look like, we'll get a little crazy and start making combinations.

I've enjoyed looking at everyone's lists!

OKay because I have pregnancy-induced, heat-exaccerbated insomnia, last night I started organizing everyone's menu ideas into a list broken down by type (soup, side, beef, etc.). I'll post it as soon as I am done. I usually plan 2 weeks at a time because we have so little pantry and fridge space in our teeny little house at the moment.

We plan by the week as well, but I'll still post if that is OK. I have a master list of meals that I choose from and then just plug them in based on sales that week. This week coming up, we are trying to eat based on what we already have. I over bought last week and then we had company and have a lot of things still in the house.

Yesterday - Sloppy Joes (homemade mix from the freezer), Broccoli, Tater Tots

Tonight - Hawaiian Chicken, Rice, Green Beans, Pineapple

Monday - Breakfast for Dinner (I'm making Sausage Gravy & Biscuits, Eggs, Fruit)

Tuesday - Shrimp Chowder

Wednesday - DH is wanting to go out for Italian

Thursday - Quesadillas and Mexican Rice

Friday - Chicken & Broccoli Braid, Corn

Saturday - Balsamic Pork Loin, Mashed Potatoes, Lima Beans

Sunday - I am planning on going out with friends, DH will be cooking for he and the kids, his choice. :) He usually does grilled cheese, spaghetti, or something like that.

Formatting problems. Sorry

SIDES:

Baked Potatoes

brussel sprout salad

cauliflower

Corn Bread

creamed onions and peas

Garden Salad

Mashed Potatoes

orzo

Oven Chips

Oven Fries

Potatoes Au Gratin

Rice

Risotto

Roasted Asparagus

Roasted Broccoli

Roasted Potatoes

scalloped potatoes

Tater Tots

twice-baked potatoes

SANDWICHES:

Black bean enchiladas

Calzones

Crockpot French Dip Sandwiches

Egg Sandwiches

Grilled Cheese

Meatball subs

Pizza

Quesadillas

Sloppy Joes

Southwestern eggrolls

Tacos

tuna melt

Tuna Sandwiches

Vegetarian Sloppy Joes

Veggie calzones

VEGETARIAN:

Black bean enchiladas

Broccoli cheese rice casserole

Bulghur Chili

Cheese Fondue

Crockpot: Farmhouse Fricasse (from Vegetarian Slow Cooker, p. 117)

Falafel

General TsoĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s (vegetarian)

Grilled Tofu

Koshari (Egyptian dish of rice, lentils, chickpeas and macaroni topped with tomato sauce and fried onion)

Laban, Rice (cooked yogurt dish, Arabic)

Malfoof, Salad (stuffed veggie rolls)

Musaka

Quinoa Salad

Roasted Veggie Magic

spinach quiche

Stir-fried Vegetables

Tempeh Tacos

Tofurky

Vegetable Flan

Vegetarian Chili

Veggie Burgers

PASTA:

baked veggie pasta

Baked Veggie Spaghetti

Cowboy Spaghetti

fettucine alfredo

GF pasta with hot Italian sausage

linguine and red clam sauce

Mac and Cheese

mexican ziti

noodles & beans

noodles w/cabbage & pork

Pasta Bake

Pasta e fagioli

pasta salad

pasta w/mushrooms

peanut noodles

Penne w/ chickpeas and spinach

pesto pasta

pierogies

ravioli

shrimp and pasta

Southwestern pasta

Spinach Lasagna

spinach stuffed shells

Stir fried veggies and Japanese curly noodles

stir fry noodles

Yaki mandu (filled dumplings)

HAM OR PORK:

Balsamic Pork Loin

Brown Sugar & Balsamic Glazed pork (crockpot)

cranberry pork chops

dr pepper pork

fennel roasted pork

ham & broccoli

Ham and cheese sandwiches

Hawaiian pork chops

Hawaiian slider ham n cheese

herbed pork tenderloin

Hocks and blackeyed peas (New Year's Day)

Mu Shu pork,

noodles w/cabbage & pork

Onion and Bacon tart

pork butt

pork chops

pork roast

Pork Stir Fry over rice

pork tacos

pork tenderloin with red cabbage

pulled pork sandwiches

Ribs

Roasted Pork in a Baguette

sati babis (Pork butt is marinated in a savory blend of spices, before being grilled on skewers and served with a sprinkle of fresh lime juice.)

Sausages

Spam

Teriyaki Pork balls

BEEF:

bacon-meatloaf

Beef Buritos

beef roast - crock pot

Beef Stew

beef tips with mushrooms

Boeuf bourguignon

Broccoli beef

Brunswick stew

Chili

corned beef and cabbage

Cottage Pie

cow tongue

Crockpot beef & broccoli

Crockpot French Dip Sandwiches

cube steak sandwiches and fries

Curry Beef & peas

Dawud Basha, Rice (Arabic; meatballs in a tomato stew with dried mint)

Dried Beef Gravy

Fasulia (green bean and meat stew)

Filet Mignon

Flank Steak in crockpot

grilled cube steak with peppers and potatoes

Grilled steak and smoke sausages

Hamburgers

Hotdogs

Kafta Waraq (Arabic meatballs wrapped in grape leaves)

Korean Beef over rice

lamb ribs

London Broil

Meatballs and gravy

meatloaf muffins

mexican hamburger casserole

Mongolian beef

olive oil poached steaks w/thyme

Pasties

Pot Roast

ricotta-stuffed meat balls

salisbury steaks with mushroom gravy

Sausages

Shepherd's Pie

Shredded Beef Enchiladas

sirloin steak

Sirloin Tip roast

Sloppy Joes

soft tacos - beef

stroganoff

stuffed butternut squash

Vegetable beef

Vegetable beef stew

GAME:

deer chili

squirrel and dumplings

POULTRY:

baked chicken

BBQ Chicken

BBQ Chicken Pieces in Crockpot

bbq chicken sandwiches

Beer can chicken

Broiled Chicken

Butter Chicken & rice

Cheese/Chicken/broccoli Soup

chicken & wine

Chicken Alfredo

Chicken & Broccoli Braid

Chicken and dumplings

Chicken and noodles with crackers

Chicken Burgers

Chicken Burritos

chicken casserole

Chicken Cordon bleu

Chicken curry

Chicken Diable

chicken dish - crock pot

Chicken Enchiladas

Chicken Enchiladas with Verde Sauce

Chicken Fried Rice

Chicken Korma

chicken Marsala

Chicken mushroom stroganoff

Chicken Noodle Casserole

Chicken Noodle Soup

Chicken Parm Meatballs

Chicken Parmigiana

Chicken Pesto Casserole

Chicken piccata

Chicken Pot Pie

chicken quesadillas

Chicken Ranch tacos

chicken spaghetti

Chicken Stew

chicken stirfry

chicken tenders

Chicken Tenders

chicken tetrazzini

chicken tikka masala

Chicken with celery soup

chix legs

chix on a stick (from weelicious, my kids love it)

cream cheese chicken and noodles

Creamy Bacon Carbonara with Chicken

Creamy Chicken Spaghetti

crescent chicken

Crock Chicken Creole

crockpot beer chicken

crockpot salsa chix

GF tortellini with chicken

Green chicken pitas

grilled chicken

Grilled chicken wings and tenders

Hawaiian Chicken

homemade baked chicken nuggets

Indian chicken tacos

Italian chicken

King Ranch Chicken

Lemon Chicken

Lemon Pepper Chicken

mushroom herb chicken

mustard chicken thighs

oven fried chicken

Proscuitto Wrapped Chicken thighs

Roast Sticky Chicken in the crockpot

Roasted Chicken

Salsa Verde Chicken Taco Bake

sesame glazed chicken

simply great chicken - pinterest

Skillet Fried Chicken Strips

soft tacos - chicken

Teriyaki Chicken

Thai Chicken

Turkey kielbasa

turkey nachos

Turkey Sausages

White Chicken Chili

SEAFOOD:

Baked Cod

Baked Fish with Tomato Herb Sauce over mashed potatoes

fish and chips

Fish cakes

Fish Fingers

fish tacos with lime cream sauce

greek shrimp

Grilled Salmon

Halibut

Paella

salmon patties

Sesame Shrimp

shrimp and pasta

Shrimp Chowder

Shrimp Creole

shrimp scampi

Talapia

tuna casserole

Tuna Mac

Tuna Pea Wiggle

SOUP:

bean soup

black bean soup

Broccoli Cheese Soup

butternut chowder

celery almond soup

celery soup

Cheese/Chicken/broccoli Soup

Chicken Noodle Soup

Creamy Potato Soup

crockpot meatball soup

crockpot mex bean and beef soup

Italian Meatball & Tortellini Soup

Kitchen Sink Soup

lentil soup

minestrone soup

Pasta e Fagioli Soup

Potato corn chowder

Potato Leek Soup

potato soup

pumpkin soup

split pea & ham soup

Split Pea and Vegetarian Sausage Soup

Taco soup

tomato basil soup w tortellini

tomato soup

tortilla soup

turkey veg soup

Vegetable soup

Veggie soup

LEGUMES:

Bean and Cheese Burritos

Beans and Rice

Black eyed peas

Cowboy Beans

Fava Bean Ratatouilee

Indian Dal

Lentil casserole

Navy Beans and Bacon

noodles & beans

pasta and peas

Pinto beans and tortillas

Red Beans and Rice

Alley

For me, I know that Wednesdays and Thursdays are hectic so I either need something that goes in the crock-pot or a 30 minute meal. Two Mondays out of the month are like that too. So when I sit down to come up with my menu, I place things according to where I should have the time. As the week actually comes up, I have been known to shift planned meals around a bit within the week.

I realized I didn't add my menu plan, but as I am in Australia and Perth is in the middle of a heat wave, we haven't wanted to actually eat much. I did buy a 4kg ham for Christmas, but it was too hot to cook. Just got around to it yesterday so we have cold ham slices in the fridge to nibble on if anyone gets hungry. I also have the bone simmering to make broth and will make Hungarian bean soup tomorrow. Tongiht (NYE) we are doing our traditional filet fondue but are skipping the cheese one and the dessert one.

So here is my list of what I would have made for dinners if we wanted to eat anything other than ice cubes:

Ham slices with leftover sides

Hungarian Ham and Bean Soup

Ham and beans and rice

Quinoa Salad

Pasta with tomato sauce

Gnocchi with creamy pesto sauce

Nachos with homemade salsa, guacamole, and sour cream (okay we did eat these)

Chickpeas and chicken chermoulade

Tomato Soup and Quesadillas

Chicken salad

Meatballs and homemade chips (french fries)

Leftovers

I also made a cheesecake and planned on making carob pudding and muffins but the thought of turning the oven on makes me cringe.

Alley

January was easy for me as I wanted to eat up what we had on hand. With us being on summer holidays for the whole month of January, I had no activity filled days/evenings to work around, only one birthday dinner that will get decided closer to the time. For February's monthly menu I'll be consulting my calendar to see what is on before assigning meals to days. Also, as we'd have eaten most of what I have currently on hand, I'll be buying to suit the menu.

I like to have a roast on Sunday, with the plan of using the left-over roast meat for lunches (wraps, salads, etc.) during the week.

Monday night is scouts, so I plan a crockpot meal that can be eaten before or after scouts, depending how hectic our after school time is.

Tuesday dh & the boys sail & usually have a sausage at the yacht club before coming home, so I'll plan soup & fresh bread for that night as no one is really hungry, but just needs a top-up before bed.

Wednesday ds#2 has team sailing practice & ds#1 will have night class, so like to do something easy, usually ethnic (curry & rice, mexican, stirfry, pasta, etc.)

Thursday both boys have social hockey, but I have no commitments, meaning I can spend a bit more time preparing dinner. We usually have something grilled, like lamb chops, BBQ chicken, hamburgers, etc.

Friday is a free evening for us, unless we have a regatta that weekend. If it's a regatta weekend, we would have already left, otherwise we do a fast food style meal (fish & chips, MYO pizza, etc.)

Saturday is left-overs or eggs, if we are not away at a regatta.

I vary the roast each week, depending on what meat is on sale that week. I make stock from the bones, etc. for soup that week or freeze for another week. I debone any left-over meat & put it in the fridge to use as lunch meat that week.

I only consult family members regarding the menu if it is their birthday. Otherwise the standing choice is "Eat" or "Don't Eat", but no other food will be offered if you choose "Don't Eat." All 3dc are very good eaters IMHO because they have grown up with the expectation that they are to eat what is served. Dh's only request is that we have lots of veggies & that I don't serve "Chicken & Rice" too often as that is what he had to eat most nights when he lived in the islands. Of course since dd & ds#1 spent their early years in the islands, they LOVE chicken & rice.

I have the first 20 days planned.

1. fettucine alfredo, salad

2. hot dogs, sweet potato fries

3. hamburger casserole, salad

4. pork chops, roasted broccoli

5. eating with extended family

6. leftovers

7. roast chicken, potatoes, carrots

8. lime chicken soft tacos, salad

9. spaghetti, salad, Italian bread

10. meatloaf, mac and cheese, cabbage

11. chicken pot pie

12. grilled steak, salad

13. leftovers

14. garlic chicken, asparagus, red potatoes

15. cheese quesadillas, refried beans, guacamole/chips

16. homemade chicken nuggets, sweet potato fries

17, baked ziti, salad

18. broccoli-cheese soup

19. grilled chicken and veggie kabobs, corn on the cob

20. leftovers

I sat down Sat night and did an 8 week meal plan rotation. Then Monday night I decided to switch things up. So here is the plan for this week. I will share the others later. :) Some of these will change for me as I will be doing the Whole30 Challenge.

1. Oatmeal, zoodles and meatballs (pinterest), chili

2. Breakfast skillet, turkey roll ups w/salad, baked chicken and sweet potato fries w/veggie

3. Eggs and bacon, calzones and veggie sticks (kids), taco salads

4. Yogurt, bacon and fruit, roast beef roll ups (pinterest), baked chicken and spinach flautas (pinterest)

5. Waffles and eggs, chicken salad with flavored mayo collard wraps, sweet and sour chicken with veggies and egg rolls

6. eggs and bacon, chicken nuggets, vegetable soup and salad

7. Breakfast skillet, leftovers, new recipe night

Alley

I take out my planner and a piece of scrap paper. I write down all the dates and I circle each day I have something in the evening. It is a crock pot meal day. I plan a crock pot meal to be done and pull an easy one out or try something new. After that I go through and look at what I haven't made in a while and write it down. Those dates I will switch around within a weeks time frame. I usually buy all my staples and go to the store once a week for stocking up on sales items I know I need, my fresh produce and dairy products. I also make a better planner for each week and I write out what meat I need to pull down and thaw out, usually two days ahead of time. I also pull out meat for breakfast meals and lunches. I will somtimes on a crock pot night if I have time, assemble a breakfast casserole that lasts a few days, I just pull out in the morning and bake! This has saved money, sanity, and from eating out.

I do not do freezer meals because I'm home enough that it isn't worth it for me.

So I found out we have two family dinners this month so that saves me two days of meals! yay, I love those. lol

OH and I don't usually plan out lunches. I buy stuff to have on hand, but usually I plan on making enough to have leftovers and we pull those out throughout the week to have as our lunch. If we run out of leftovers then I will make something light.

This week I've got

New Year's Day- junk. dips, black eyed peas, chicken and noodles and some new potatoes

Tues- always Pizza day here because of a local pizza parlor's "two for Tuesday" deal

Wed- Hawaiian sliders for lunch and stuffed shells for supper

Thurs- Salmon, potatoes and peas

Fri- chili

Most mornings I make a big breakfast around 10, the guys eat after feeding the cattle, so our meals are pretty catty-wonkered. We'll eat again early at supper time, lots of grab food for the guys too.

This week (mostly Fresh 20):

Mon: Turkey Cutlets with Mushroom Gravy

Tues: Party fare

Wed: Baked tilapia w/green beans with tangerine butter, almonds, and brown rice

Thur: Turkey noodle casserole w/Parmesan bread crumb topping

Fri: Split pea and potato soup w/grilled ham & cheese parmesan melts

Saturday: Garlic mushroom linguini w/tangerine salad with citrus vinaigrette (best salad ever)

Sunday: Spaghetti with meat sauce, green salad with pear slices and apple cider vinaigrette

Here is my list for January.

1. Savory Yorkshire pudding Ă¢â‚¬â€œ based off onion and bacon tort

2. Vegetarian sheppardĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s pie

3. Taco salad

4. Mac and cheese, green beans, carrots

5. Tofurkey, mashed potatoes, green peas

6. Veggie soup and PB&J

7. Spaghetti

8. Vegetarian Sloppy Joes, chips

9. Black eyed peas and corn bread

10. Homemade pizza

11. Greek potatoes and dolmas

12. Seitan sausage, cabbage, summer squash

13. Chili

14. Black bean burgers, fries

15. Baked ziti

16. Grilled cheese and potato soup

17. Broccoli fettuccini alfredo

18. Smart dogs, chips, sauerkraut

19. Baked potato, salad

20. Minestrone

21. Red beans and rice

22. Burritos

23. Mushrooms and gravy, mashed potatoes, peas

24. Eggs and toast

25. Roasted veggies over pasta

26. Falafal on pita, salad

27. Spinach lasagna

28. Veggie pot pies

29. Black bean soup and quesadillas

30. Colcannon, broccoli

31. Nachos

1. Savory Yorkshire pudding Ă¢â‚¬â€œ based off onion and bacon tort

I made this again for a party yesterday, but added lots of roasted garlic to the onion and bacon. I swear I turned my back for just a second, and the whole things was gone. Didn't get a single piece.

I made this again for a party yesterday, but added lots of roasted garlic to the onion and bacon. I swear I turned my back for just a second, and the whole things was gone. Didn't get a single piece.

I'm thinking about trying to double it so we can have leftovers. I'm using asparagus, garlic and bell peppers tonight. (My menu is a day off.)

Ok...meals for the next ten days or so:

Swiss Broccoli Ham Ring (Pampered Chef), ambrosia salad

Shepherd's Pie, green salad

Flaky Chicken Taco Pockets, refried beans, green salad

Braised Shorts Ribs with carrots, potatoes and celery in the crockpot, dinner rolls

Bacon Cheddar Florentine Quiche, orange slices, muffins

Rigatoni Skillet Bake, green salad, Italian bread

French Dip sandwiches (crockpot), carrot/celery sticks, sweet 'n tangy coleslaw

I'll have leftovers for 2-3 nights with some of them.

I'm in, but not, 'cause I'm using a service (The Fresh 20).

A friend has been test driving an online service called Eat Your Books that indexes cookbooks and blogs, allowing you to search through your books, magazines, favourite blogs, etc. She has nothing but raves. Here's the EYB blurb:

Moira-girl, I think we need to meet for wine. I may owe you one for this tip.

I have started putting together cookbooks for each of my kids to leave the house with that includes basic tips and favorite meals. This looks like it could make the project much easier.

Thank you!

So far my monthly menu is working out really well. I decided to stick with what I've written, even when I don't really feel like making that particular meal that evening. I've been pleasantly surprised at how the family is accepting our menu. Overall I feel that we are eating better as I am not falling back on my comfort meals (pasta, etc.) & we are eating a lot more veggies & a lot less starches. I set the breadmaker each evening to have a loaf of bread ready at 8:00am & this is the only loaf I make that day. Our Christmas cookies are all gone & I'm making only a couple things for morning tea to last all week. My boys are learning the hard way, when that's gone, there'll be no more until next week. I like that our eating is more planned & less "grab & go." I hope that a side effect of my freezer/pantry/garden month will be that we are all healthier (& hopefully dh & I weigh a bit less.)

I feel that accountability here is key to me sticking with my plan. If it was just me, I probably would have given up when I got tired, etc.

What I have so far, in no particular order (yes, we eat a ton of chicken because beef, pork, and seafood are outrageously expensive here):

Pasta primavera

Beef tacos

Pepper chicken with veggies

Meat loaf with mashed potatoes and veggies

Spaghetti

Chili

Chicken Kurma with veggies and rice

BBQ chicken with potatoes and veggies

Chicken fettuccini Alfredo

Chicken tacos

Sweet sour chicken with rice

Chili rubbed chicken pineapple-jalapeĂƒÂ±o salsa

Cajun chicken pasta

Beef and broccoli with rice

Seafood chowder

Baked ziti

Buffalo chicken with potatoes and veggies

Italian chicken with rice

White chicken chili

Tuna noodle casserole

Chicken salad sandwiches

Chicken Parmesan with spaghetti and broccoli

Grilled cheese and tomato soup

Mexican Mac and cheese

Linguine with white clam sauce

Tuna melts

Mexican tamale pie

I'm doing a modified freezer/pantry challenge, buying fruit/veg/dairy/eggs as needed but also buying on-sale items that are at my buy-it price.

I planned the first 17 days of January on January 1 :)

Yesterday--turkey tortilla casserole (modified from Cooking Light)

Today--- butternut squash ravioli (this month's CL)

8. Turkey pot pie (Tgiving turkey; all from scratch)

9. Meatball sandwiches (leftover meatballs in freezer)

10. Baked potato soup (potato "guts" from NYE baked potato skins; modified from CL)

11. Mexican meatballs (already prepped in freezer)

12. Chili and cornbread

13. Pot roast with dumplings

14. Spaghetti carbonara (CL)

15. Pork loin roasted with garlic and rosemary (CL)

16. Pork carnitas gorditas (half of pork carnitas recipe in freezer; CL)

17. Turkey tetrazzini (makes two casseroles, one to feed the freezer; CL)

Ha I use Cooking Light recipes a lot :lol:

We are doing weekly, so this is this weeks only:

Monday - Chili, Cornbread

Tuesday - Chicken Pot Pie

Wednesday - Chicken Enchiladas

Thursday - Leftovers

Friday - Breakfast for Dinner

Saturday - Balsamic Pork Loin, Mashed Potatoes, Lima Beans (we didn't make it last week, change of plans)

Sunday - Hawaiian Chicken, Rice, Green Beans, Pineapple (this is the kids favorite meal, we have it at least every other week)

I just had to come back and tell you all what a difference participating in this challenge has made in our week. I planned the whole month of meals, bought all necessary meats & non-perishables for the month, and the perishables for the first week-ten days. I have not had to step foot in a grocery store or Walmart in a whole week! Not only has it saved us a lot of money, this challenge has also saved me lots of time, gas & energy! I now have a short running list of the perishables that we will need for the upcoming week-ten days as well as any random things that we have run out of it or discovered that we need.

We're weekly as well (Fresh 20):

Monday: French Toast, fruit plates

Tuesday: Polenta Mozzarella Bake with spinach salad

Wednesday: Salmon with roasted red pepper sauce and parmesan cannellini beans

Thursday: Sausage and Bean Stew

Friday: out

Saturday: Greek Chicken with warm spinach orzo salad

Sunday: Twice Baked Pizza potatoes with sautĂƒÂ©ed garlicky chard

OK I am modifying mine to include all the meals. I tend to work better this way...

Monday

- B - French Toast, Apples

- L - Hummus, Baby Carrots, Strawberries

- S - Pretzels

- D - Chili, Cornbread

Tuesday

- B - Yogurt, Strawberries

- L - Leftover Chili & Cornbread

- S - Bananas

- D - Chicken Pot Pie

Wednesday

- B - Banana Pancakes, Applesauce

- L - Leftover Chicken Pot Pie, Apples

- S - Pretzels

- D - Chicken Enchiladas & Mexican Rice

Thursday

- B - Egg Sandwiches, Apples

- L - Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches, Bananas

- S - Popcorn

- D - Leftover Chicken Enchiladas & Mexican Rice

Friday

- B - Oatmeal with added Blueberries & Applesauce

- L - Hummus, Baby Carrots, and Bananas

- S - Apples

- D - Breakfast for Dinner

Saturday

- B - Waffles, Applesauce

- L - Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches, Baby Carrots, Apples

- S - Popcorn

- D - Balsamic Pork Loin, Mashed Potatoes, Lima Beans (we didn't make it last week, change of plans)

Sunday

- B - Egg Sandwiches, Yogurt

- L - Leftover Pork Loin, Mashed Potatoes, & Lima Beans

- S - Apples

- D - Hawaiian Chicken, Rice, Green Beans, Pineapple (this is the kids favorite meal, we have it at least every other week)

Guest inoubliable

I'm so late to get back to this thread! I'll list my January here. I want to say first, though, that this has made a HUGE difference in how we're eating, our finances, and given us more time together as a family to plan, prep, cook, and eat. Thank you, thank you for starting this thread!!

4/1 Spaghetti with bean balls, Italian bread

5/1 Black bean burgers, rosemary potatoes

6/1 Tacos, Mexican rice

7/1 Curried chickpeas on basmati, naan

8/1 Chickpea cutlets, mashed potatoes, steamed carrots

9/1 Baked potato and greens soup, potato wedges

10/1 Spaghetti with bean balls, Italian bread

11/1 Tacos, Mexican rice

12/1 Potato soup with vegan bacon and cheese

13/1 Vegan sloppy joes, baked potatoes

14/1 Spaghetti with bean balls, Italian bread

15/1 Vegan baked mac-n-cheese, pigs in a blanket, steamed broccoli

16/1 Potato and corn chowder, crackers

17/1 Curried chickpeas on basmati, naan

18/1 Lentil soup, crackers

19/1 Baked BBQ tofu w/ apricot sauce, pink cole slaw

20/1 Chickpea cutlets, mashed potatoes, steamed carrots

21/1 Black bean burgers, rosemary potatoes

22/1 Spaghetti with bean balls, Italian bread

23/1 Baked BBQ tofu w/ apricot sauce, pink cole slaw

24/1 Curried chickpeas on basmati, naan

25/1 Vegan sloppy joes, baked potatoes

26/1 Tacos, Mexican rice

27/1 Spaghetti with bean balls, Italian bread

28/1 Vegan baked mac-n-cheese, pigs in a blanket, steamed broccoli

29/1 Vegan sloppy joes, baked sweet potatoes

30/1 Lentil soup, crackers

31/1 Potato corn chowder, crackers

Today I'll be making some black bean brownies and some cranberry cheesecake squares for the month. I also typed all this out into a calendar that I downloaded from one of those create-your-own-calendar websites and slipped it into a presentation binder I had laying around. My goal is to carefully meal plan each month this year and save it in this binder so that I never have to meal plan again except to tweak for things like company coming over or to plug in a new recipe. I'm so excited by this that I already have February done AND a special page in my binder with menus for Thanksgiving and Christmas. :blushing:

I don't designate days, so we can choose what sounds good for each day. Here is our list:

1. BLT wraps

2. Frito Pie

3.Chili

4. Chili

5. Chicken Fajitas

6.Chimichangas

7. Beef and Noodles

8. Potato Soup

9. Refried Beans

10. Bean and Cheese Enchiladas

11. Chicken Salad

12. Baked Ziti

13. Taco Pasta

14. Rice and Bean Casserole

15. Chicken, Bacon, Broccoli Rice

16. Italian Chicken Soup

17. Pork Chops

18. Roast

19. Beef Stew

20. Chicken and Noodles

21. Black Bean Soup

22. Grilled Chicken Sandwiches

23. French Dip Sandwiches

24. Pizzas

25. Nachos

26. French Toast

27. Baked Potatoes

28. Coney Dogs

29. Biscuits and Gravy

I also don't plan sides. We usually have salads, rice, and whatever we can find in the pantry. I bought ingredients for all of the meals, plus some household items and spent $350. We'll have to replenish fresh veggies, fruit, and milk.

Here's mine-

Monday

B-cereal and bacon (daddy wanted some, hence the weird combo lol)

L-crackers with cheese

D-roast chicken, carrots and potatoes, salad

S-bananas and cherry turnovers

Tuesday

B-bagel w/cream cheese

L-chicken salad wraps with leftover chicken

D-terryaki chicken stir fry (carrots, broccoli, and zucchini)

S-fruit, nuts, or Greek yogurt

Wednesday

B-oatmeal or eggs

L-Mac and cheese and edamame

D-turkey/noodle/veggie soup and salad

Thursday

B-cereal

L-pita chips with hummus, carrots

D-at grandparents house

Friday

B-bagel with cream cheese

L-bean burritos

D-fettuccini Alfredo, chicken, broccoli, caprese salad

Saturday

B-oatmeal or eggs

L-chicken nuggets and sweet potato fries

D-crockpot beef stew, potatoes, carrots, and peas

Sunday

B-at church, usually a bagel with cream cheese and a donut

L-out

D-grilled chicken, rice, salad

Yay! I'm happy to read that it is going well and helping some out :) I like the different ways everyone plans and hope it will help with some meal ideas for everyone next month. I know I get stuck in a rut of the same things and meal planning breaks me out of that rut.

I didn't designate days for mine because my local grocery store is sometimes out of things (like fresh fruits/vegis and meats) so I buy all staples and shop sales each week and then plug in from my 30 days. I hope that might help someone that shops the sales some? You don't have to follow 100% if you can't and if you need to post a weekly meal when the sale add is released that's ok too!

I do weekly (just started actually for budgeting)

Yesterday was fish and French fries

Tonight is sauerkraut, potatoes and sausage

Tuesday night baked chicken and asparagus with rice

Wednesday is chili

Thursday is hot dogs and Mac and cheese (dd's request)

Friday is cabbage roll

Saturday is pizza :)