Menu

So how late were you?

Thanksgiving supper looks like it'll be an hour late right now. How late was your meal? A nursing baby who's going through a growth spurt means I've stopped three times to feed him. And that's with dd holding him for awhile and my mom doing some of the sides. One year I got dinner on the table close to the time, but usually it's about an hour late.

A squirrel climbed up into the power lines, shorted something out, made a big boom, and our power was out for awhile. Our electric range doesn't work so well when the power is out.

So we're late. And hungry.

But at least we're not lying in the alley eviscerated like that squirrel.

On the plus side, we chatted with a good number of our neighbors.

Well....my cookies are ready, tart is ready, rolls are rising well, need to make a pumpkin pie....everyone should be here by 6....except our turkey....which will be arriving at 7:15....someone is always late. Last year, it was the mashed potatoes....oh well, time to heat up some cider and rotel to hold us over.

We didn't have a specific plan, but we ate earlier than I thought we would. I made everything earlier in the morning, and had it all warming in crockpots for when we decided to eat.

I feel like an adult today. I hosted Thanksgiving and made my first turkey. Dh hates elaborate meals, so our meal was a reasonable size.

I was aiming for noon, but the turkey was done at 10:45. But it didn't matter because we didn't have anyone coming over. We ate at 11:30 which was lovely because I got the dishes done even earlier and everyone was ready for pie and cheese and crackers at 6 for dinner. It has been a lovely day.

We ended up doing dinner just for dh & I and the kids (already had a big dinner with dh's family on Sat), so I didn't set a time. So we ate when it was done, thank goodness. I would be so nervous to tell everyone a time. I find that really hard when you're making 8 different things at once. I'm just happy if they're all still hot !

We ended up eating at 4, which was just about what I was hoping for. But I can't say it was due to any sort of perfect planning. I slept in, ate a leisurely breakfast and then put the turkey in. We didn't have guests coming, so I didn't have a specific time to aim for.

Two days late! No holiday here for Thanksgiving, so we are celebrating on Saturday. So my weekend runs:

Friday Night: my choir rehearsal for concert on Sunday Night

Saturday Morning: choir rehearsal and Hobbes serves at scout coffee morning

Saturday Afternoon: make and consume Thanksgiving late lunch/early dinner

Saturday Evening: Calvin goes to school social; I brush the dog with half a bottle of fizzy wine in me

Sunday Morning: plant a Jubilee Oak and eight lilies

Sunday Afternoon: choir rehearsal

Sunday Evening: choir performance.

Phew! I'm making a Turducken this year for the first time: I bought it prepared and stuffed, so I just need to make more stuffing, baby potatoes and green beans in cheese sauce.

Laura