Menu

Need positive encouragement re: breast lump

Update:

So it isn't a cyst but she doesn't know what she is seeing. Not sure what to think. She isn't seeing other signs of cancer, so I really din't have any answers yet. Waiting for the doc and trying to stay calm.

Updated below #31

So...I'd really like to hear stories about suspicious lumps that turned out to be cysts or something else. I had one pop up recently and suddenly. It is sometimes tender to the touch and perfectly round...maybe the size of a green pea. I can't tell if it's hard or soft to the touch because of the front and center location of where it is placed. I'm nervous but leaning on the side of thinking it's a cyst. Are they pretty common in peri-menopausal women? I have an appointment tomorrow at 11am to have it looked at. What can I expect? Ultrasound? Something else? Anyone have encouraging stories or advice?

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

If you look at the statistics, the odds are strongly in favor of it being a benign cyst, but I'm glad you're having it checked out so you'll know for sure.

If your doctor has ultrasound equipment, he or she might check you out during your appointment, but I would assume that you would also need to have a diagnostic mammogram as well. The doctor might also want to schedule a needle biopsy to test the lump -- and I know that sounds awful, but my MIL used to get cysts quite frequently and she said the biopsies sounded a lot worse than they actually felt (and she wasn't known for incredible bravery or anything!)

I hope you're able to get some rest tonight, because I'm sure you're worried about the appointment tomorrow. One thing I'm pretty sure about, though, is that if the lump is painful, it's usually just a cyst. (As I understand it, breast cancer isn't usually painful, and that's why people don't know they have a lump unless they go looking for it.)

I'll pray that everything is fine and that you're 100% healthy!

Probably a cyst. I hope they will do an ultrasound and not a mammogram.

They may also do a needle biopsy if they consider it inconclusive, however, I think that a cyst shows up different on ultrasound than something solid, so they should know. Deep breath. Get some sleep.

Thanks for taking time to reply. I'm going to turn out the lights and try to get some sleep. It's a big deal just to write it out because I've not told anyone here at all. My parents are visiting and I really need to process it without talking about it, KWIM?

Thanks for taking time to reply. I'm going to turn out the lights and try to get some sleep. It's a big deal just to write it out because I've not told anyone here at all. My parents are visiting and I really need to process it without talking about it, KWIM?

It sounds like a cyst. And fibroadenomas are a benign type of lump that are very common in pre-menopausal women. I had one of those, and eventually it got large enough it needed to be removed. Chances are your doctor will confirm the presence of the lump. And then you'll likely be sent for a diagnostic mammogram (different from a screening mammogram) and an ultrasound. At that point the powers that be will decide if you need a biopsy or not.

I know it's very hard, but please try not to worry. The odds are really high that it's either a cyst or a benign fibroadenoma.

:grouphug:

Just went through this myself. Had my annual exam with the gyn on Tuesday, and he felt something. My next mammogram was scheduled for January, but he didn't want me to wait. Went and had a diagnostic mammogram yesterday. Then they came in and said they wanted an ultrasound. Turned out to be nothing, but it certainly was a "whew" moment. It is SO disconcerting/anxiety-inducing when you have to go through this.

I have really dense breast tissue. I do think changes in hormones play a role. I used to have lumps all the time. Then I went through a time where I wasn't lumpy at all. Wondering now as I am also perimenopausal if that is affecting things and making me more prone to being lumpy again.

Will keep you in my prayers today.

Praying for you! :grouphug:

I had a lump (found by my gyno during annual exam) several years ago. They did an ultrasound and couldn't see it, and a needle biopsy but couldn't be sure they hit the actual lump tissue (since they couldn't be guided in by ultrasound), so I opted for a lumpectomy just because it was making me so nervous - and it was totally fine - just benign tissue, no problems at all. The lumpectomy was super easy too - barely any pain, in-and-out procedure, just had to have a driver to/from and wore an old bra for a few days, but I was back at work the next day.

The waiting between all of the steps was the worst part for sure.

I'm sure it will be fine, your description of it sounds benign!

I will be thinking of you today.

Had this happen about three months ago. It was tender and my doctor felt it too. I had a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound and it was a benign cyst. I had been on HRT and my doc recommended going off of it. After that the cyst went away and no more tenderness. So I do think it was hormone related.

Blessings,

Mary

It is rare for cancer to be painful. It is common for cysts to be painful.

Cysts are nice and round. Cancer is not.

You can usually move a cyst around.

80% of solid lumps (not even counting fluid-filled cysts) are benign.

Often doctors will reasonable tell you to wait for a cycle to see if the cyst resolves on its own, which cysts often do and it does not increase your risks to wait such a short while should it not be benign.

Mammogram radiation does present some risk; you want to weigh the risk against the benefit. If you want to get word immediately, I'd ask for an ultrasound not a diagnostic mammo first. If it's a cyst, they can see the fluid on an ultrasound and you'll save yourself the radiation. If they don't see fluid, then you can get the mammo.

Keeping you in my thoughts. Update when you can. :grouphug::grouphug:

:iagree:

I have a friend who has a family history of breast cancer, and she was constantly going in to have lumps checked and biopsied. To date, she has never had any of them be anything more than a plain old lump or cyst.

Yes. I just went through this 2 weeks ago. My NP sent me for a 3D mammogram (the new one) and it was just fibro-glandular tissue as she suspected. I'm glad I had the 3D imaging done, I have very dense breast tissue and this took images in slices, so we could be sure nothing was hiding.

You all are awesome, thank you. I feel so much better this morning after your encouraging stories. I did some digging and found out that a cyst will often pop up right before a period and then, as Laurie mentioned, spontaneously resolve afterward, so I'm going with that. :D My appt is in about 90 minutes and I've decided not to borrow trouble by worrying.

Mammogram radiation does present some risk; you want to weigh the risk against the benefit. If you want to get word immediately, I'd ask for an ultrasound not a diagnostic mammo first. If it's a cyst, they can see the fluid on an ultrasound and you'll save yourself the radiation. If they don't see fluid, then you can get the mammo.

Thank you for this advice. I will keep it in mind.

Barb, I just found a lump in my breast as well, and I had it checked out this morning by my Nurse Practitioner. I've been diagnosed with fibrocystic breasts for a few years now, and my one breast has been causing me a lot of pain and discomfort for a while now. She's going to have me wait a few days to see if it resolves, and if not, she's sending me in for a sonogram to see if it's fluid filled. So, I'm playing the wait-and-see game right now.

Just wanted to let you know you're not alone going through this!

Often doctors will reasonable tell you to wait for a cycle to see if the cyst resolves on its own, which cysts often do and it does not increase your risks to wait such a short while should it not be benign.

Great post, thank you!!

Barb, please update us after the appt!

So...I'd really like to hear stories about suspicious lumps that turned out to be cysts or something else. I had one pop up recently and suddenly. It is sometimes tender to the touch and perfectly round...maybe the size of a green pea. I can't tell if it's hard or soft to the touch because of the front and center location of where it is placed. I'm nervous but leaning on the side of thinking it's a cyst. Are they pretty common in peri-menopausal women? I have an appointment tomorrow at 11am to have it looked at. What can I expect? Ultrasound? Something else? Anyone have encouraging stories or advice?

Yes, cysts are very common in peri-menopausal women.

They will ultrasound it. If it's clearly a cyst they probably will just leave it alone or will give you an option to remove it. If it's not bothering you, leave it alone. Some say that removing them creates scar tissue and they most likely come back. Every dr is different. Every mammo then they'll compare it with last years, so you don't go through all this again.

It may not have popped up suddenly, it may be that it's just aggravated. Or just that you've just noticed it. Cysts move so sometimes they're hard to notice, especially pea-sized. Cyst tend to move around and tend to get sore and aggravated. "Cancer" doesn't usually pop up all of a sudden. Also cysts tend to have edges so-to-speak. Meaning, you can feel that it's round or pea-sized and if you move your breast around, it kind of goes with it, but yet is still in the same place. Cancer tends not to move around, doesn't usually have edges and doesn't get sore at this point. Cysts can be annoying because they get sore during pms or again, aggravated.

Everyone I've talked to said, at least 50% of the time if you remove them, they come back. I'm not sure I would unless it's a complete annoyance. Many have also said that they can go away after menopause. I'm patiently waiting. ;)

HTH

I see Laurie beat me to the same info. :) Good thing it's the same info.

On the ultrasound note, my insurance refused this unless they did the mammo first. I didn't want the mammo the following year, because I didn't want to go through all this again. Not to mention I thought that would be painful with cysts. But they wouldn't cover it. So check your insurance.

I see Laurie beat me to the same info. :) Good thing it's the same info.

On the ultrasound note, my insurance refused this unless they did the mammo first. I didn't want the mammo the following year, because I didn't want to go through all this again. Not to mention I thought that would be painful with cysts. But they wouldn't cover it. So check your insurance.

Such great advice on this thread. The above wouldn't have occurred to me, so thanks for mentioning it. I really want to avoid a mammo for a little longer if I can help it.

So I had it checked out and it's just the one little bump. Everything else on both sides is clear, so that's good news. The doc didn't seem too concerned and was fine sending me for an ultrasound rather than a mammogram. So I'm headed back out again tomorrow or Monday.

Thank you everyone, and :grouphug: to all who are dealing with the same thing.

Updated below #31

I had one but it was deep inside. They took me into the little room, handed me the Kleenex, told me...blah blah. I stood right up and said let's get it out.

They tested it and it was fine. This was thirteen years ago. Your's is most likely fine also! Be positive!

Same thing happened when my fibroadenoma was discovered. The radiologist essentially said it's not a cyst but I don't know what it is but I don't think it's anything worrisome. A core needle biopsy, which was no big deal, confirmed that it was a benign fibroadenoma.

Same thing happened when my fibroadenoma was discovered. The radiologist essentially said it's not a cyst but I don't know what it is but I don't think it's anything worrisome. A core needle biopsy, which was no big deal, confirmed that it was a benign fibroadenoma.

Okay, so this afternoon the tech came back and said I should have a mammo (I've never had one because I've been pregnant or breastfeeding since 1989) as soon as I can to see what if anything shows up. I understand that is mostly to look for other masses because ultrasound is usually better at distinguishing between cysts and tumors. But chances are there is nothing to worry about and that I should come back in 6 months for another ultrasound.

So I just googled breast lump not seen on ultrasound (I know, I know) and the results are scaring me. I'm glad to hear you had a similar experience with a better outcome. The hits are coming up on beast cancer sites, so of course the stories are going to be terrifying. So I suppose I should keep pushing for further diagnostics instead of waiting?

I hope they can see it on an ultrasound, but don't be alarmed if they can't. Mine wasn't visible on u/s so I had to wait SIX MONTHS to go back for another mammo. Dd12 was an infant at the time. I cried regularly.

I have heard so many times that cancer tumors in the brst is not painful, so I am glad you have pain.

I will be looking for an update!!! Stay positive as the odds ARE in your favor!:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Okay, so this afternoon the tech came back and said I should have a mammo (I've never had one because I've been pregnant or breastfeeding since 1989) as soon as I can to see what if anything shows up. I understand that is mostly to look for other masses because ultrasound is usually better at distinguishing between cysts and tumors. But chances are there is nothing to worry about and that I should come back in 6 months for another ultrasound.

So I just googled breast lump not seen on ultrasound (I know, I know) and the results are scaring me. I'm glad to hear you had a similar experience with a better outcome. The hits are coming up on beast cancer sites, so of course the stories are going to be terrifying. So I suppose I should keep pushing for further diagnostics instead of waiting?

I'm sorry, I nly read your first post then #31. So you saw my ultrasound was not helpful either.

I have dense tissue and it is scary looking on a mammogram. It looked like a huge mass. Nothing was visible on u/s.

I now it's hard but DO NOT google and try to remain calm!!!:grouphug:

Can you ask for a PET scan? The neat thing about PET scans is that

1. they are not as harmful as CT scans

2. the tech can see if this lump consumes an inordinate amount of sugar (you will be prepped for this, of course. I think you you have to take some contrast fluids.)

3. If it shows that "sugar consumption" is much higher around the lump, it could be cancerous, if it does not show any increases whatsoever, it is usually a sign that it is not cancerous.

Needle biopsies can help cells escape (if it were cancerous, you'd like to avoid that, of course but you won't know until the lab from the biopsy comes back) and CT scans emit harmful rays that are considered dangerous by many naturopaths, a mammogram may not show anything conclusive either.

I think, I would go this route were I in your shoes.

PET scans are rather expensive so many insurance companies deny them or discourage them and push for biopsies or CT scans. Just to prepare you that you may have to fight a bit. It is also helpful to get a like-minded physician on your side. Have a consult with your doc and feel him/her out as to what he/she thinks about recommending you for a PET scan.

I hope they can see it on an ultrasound, but don't be alarmed if they can't. Mine wasn't visible on u/s so I had to wait SIX MONTHS to go back for another mammo. Dd12 was an infant at the time. I cried regularly.

I have heard so many times that cancer tumors in the brst is not painful, so I am glad you have pain.

I will be looking for an update!!! Stay positive as the odds ARE in your favor!:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

No, I had an ultrasound today and nothing showed up. What was your diagnosis?

I'm sorry, I nly read your first post then #31. So you saw my ultrasound was not helpful either.

I have dense tissue and it is scary looking on a mammogram. It looked like a huge mass. Nothing was visible on u/s.

I now it's hard but DO NOT google and try to remain calm!!!:grouphug:

I don't think my tissue is particularly dense. She didn't comment on it and seemed confused that she couldn't detect anything. The bump is behind the areola at 12o'clock and I've read that most fibroadenomas are in the outer quadrant.

Where was yours located?

Can you ask for a PET scan? The neat thing about PET scans is that

1. they are not as harmful as CT scans

2. the tech can see if this lump consumes an inordinate amount of sugar (you will be prepped for this, of course. I think you you have to take some contrast fluids.)

3. If it shows that "sugar consumption" is much higher around the lump, it could be cancerous, if it does not show any increases whatsoever, it is usually a sign that it is not cancerous.

Needle biopsies can help cells escape (if it were cancerous, you'd like to avoid that, of course but you won't know until the lab from the biopsy comes back) and CT scans emit harmful rays that are considered dangerous by many naturopaths, a mammogram may not show anything conclusive either.

I think, I would go this route were I in your shoes.

PET scans are rather expensive so many insurance companies deny them or discourage them and push for biopsies or CT scans. Just to prepare you that you may have to fight a bit. It is also helpful to get a like-minded physician on your side. Have a consult with your doc and feel him/her out as to what he/she thinks about recommending you for a PET scan.

Oh geez. I don't know if I'm ready for all this.

No, I had an ultrasound today and nothing showed up. What was your diagnosis?

I'm dense. :tongue_smilie: seriously, I remember feeling a lump, I believe my dr did, but u/s showed nothing so at 36 I had my first mammogram. It showed all that dense tissue so I had a repeat mammogram six months later and there were no changes. This was 13 years ago.

I don't think my tissue is particularly dense. She didn't comment on it and seemed confused that she couldn't detect anything. The bump is behind the areola at 12o'clock and I've read that most fibroadenomas are in the outer quadrant.

I do remember the tech really trying to find something during the u/s and she seemed confused/frustrated also.

My mom had many fibroids biopsied and all were perfectly fine. They do unfortunately cause some pain. If this is what you have, there are foods to avoid to help decrease cysts and pain. I don't remember all the details. My mom was in her mid to late 40's when she was diagnosed with fibrocystic bOOks.