Menu

Whiteboards?

Karen in CO

Do you frequently use a whiteboard or chalboard in school?  

1. 1. Do you frequently use a whiteboard or chalboard in school?

• Frequently use a large one
    • Frequently use a small one
    • Frequently use both
    • Not at all or not frequently
    • Other, including cupcakes if they are gf

I have a small black and white board, but after following the IEW Seminar I want to have a bigger white board.

I use even in the church a whiteboard, I think it is my teachingstyle :-)

It was the IEW seminar that has made me ask about whiteboard use. I started out with good intentions to use a whiteboard, but my girls would always get distracted and use it for art instead. The large, white surface just asked for everything to be more colorful and artist to the point it would derail any lesson I attempted on it. I think I'm intimidated by them - they just seem to insist that I put something good on them and use better handwriting. I'm much more comfortable writing on small things.

I loved the idea of a LARGE white board but didn't care for the expense when I started shopping around. I compromised by converting an oil drip pan into a LARGE magnetic board that I can easily use with wet erase markers. You can see photos of it hanging in my kitchen here.

So I voted for OTHER since it technically isn't a white board or a chalkboard.

I have a bulletin board sized white board that gets used maybe a couple weeks out of the year - primarily for parsing sentences. It was also handy for memorizing and working with the quadratic formula.

Overall, work that needs any kind of demonstration is done side-by-side, on the couch, feet up, with at least one cat in attendance. We are lazy here and I have not had a younger student for a while.:tongue_smilie:

To me, it is a "whatever-floats-your-boat or fits your style" type of tool.

I voted large white board, but technically it's my sliding glass door. School room is getting paint and floor next week, and we'll put a big shower board in there. For now, wework in the dining room by that door, so I use it.

My oldest boy learns better from a white board. I mostly use it for math. Lots of discussions that way.

I have a 3x4 foot porcelain steel whiteboard I got for $130 with free shipping from http://www.usmarkerboard.com I love it! I use it for when I work through IEW stuff with my oldest but also for math with my youngest, and spelling with my dd (she doesn't like the AAS tiles so we do it with colored whiteboard markers) as well as science lessons. I also have a 2x3ft whiteboard from walmart for our AAS tiles which my oldest loves to use, and some smaller one that we use from time to time.

I would prefer a large chalkboard, but my kids like the whiteboard and when it came to purchasing it, the whiteboard was much cheaper than a quality magnetic chalkboard of the same size.

I like large areas to work on, so for history I also have 2 large pull down maps like many schools have, one is US and on is a world map.

PS: I had tried the shower board at our old house and hated it, no matter what kind I got it ghosted really bad and was not very pretty. I've had the board mentioned above for about 2.5 years now and it looks as good as day 1.

Edited by nukeswife
updated the price of the big board as I had quoted it wrong

I used small whiteboards inconsistently for the first few years, cuddling on the couch or at the school table. My kids each have a handheld one and a 2x3 one. I have always employed one as a question board for science as well, the only one that always got regular use. After listening to Pudewa's boy/fort talk, a light bulb went off because he was talking about my DS9. For less than $30, I have a framed out 4x8 tileboard from Lowe's on the schoolroom wall now. We all love it...but the kids know it's mine and if they want to do art, they need to use their own boards. :lol: I'm actually shocked by how much I enjoy teaching from it and it is making all the difference with DS9. DD loves the feeling of being at school. :tongue_smilie: DS6 still needs proximity in teaching (aka couch cuddles), which is fine because half my teaching is done while couch cuddling anyway.

For some kids, a whiteboard is unnecessary. For some kids, it's magical. I put math problems for DS9 on the big board at night and most of the time they will be completed before I even wake up in the morning, a little Elves & The Shoemaker action which I quite enjoy. :D

About the tileboard... I went to Home Depot and Lowe's and did find a couple of different textures of tileboard. One was super shiny/glossy and one was more dull, so I wonder if people who had problems were buying the duller one. At any rate, I read to wax it prior to use, so we did that and it performs beautifully. Wipes up clean as a whistle.

I have the high skills lapboard from Rainbow Resource and am getting the primar and mid skills boards when they get here. It's made things sooo much easier for Fury as it flows better for writing out pre-algebra problems.

Having a total of 3 boards means I won't have to erase facts for one to help the other boys. Eventually, I think a big wall one would be very nice.

Dang it! I messed up.

I voted large, but I use both.

Right now I usually use the big one with my oldest 2, since I'm usually teaching them together. Latin & English grammar, mostly.

I use a little one with my younger three, to work examples, etc. when I'm teaching them. They're usually sitting across the desk from me.

About the tileboard... I went to Home Depot and Lowe's and did find a couple of different textures of tileboard. One was super shiny/glossy and one was more dull, so I wonder if people who had problems were buying the duller one. At any rate, I read to wax it prior to use, so we did that and it performs beautifully. Wipes up clean as a whistle.

I wonder if that's it. I've had my tileboard for 7 years and have used it a lot, and it still looks great. I have to clean it with rubbing alcohol now and then, but I have to do that with all the whiteboards we have, too.

I voted other, because I really really want a large whiteboard. Ds and Dd would do so much better being able to see a chart, declension, or whatever up on the wall in large letters. We have a small one, but don't use it often because it is awkward for us--I can't prop it up well for the kids to look at as I write, or to see it as they copy from it.

We :001_wub: whiteboards. I will not even tell how many we have, mainly because I don't know! I would have to count. My dd likes to do some of her AoPS on little whiteboards on the table--we have lots. We also have a large one on the wall and large ones to place somewhere else if needed.

We frequently use whiteboards to illustrate points in the middle of conversations. Even dh uses them sometimes.

We could use a piece of paper instead and then just throw it away. That seems a bit wasteful to me.

Edited by Hilltop Academy

We have a couple of 1x3' that we use almost daily. Sometimes for art, as hard surfaces to write/color on for read-alouds, for spelling, for memory work. I haven't had a large one up since the fire but I miss it ;)

I use one everyweek for my writing class and I usually have stuff written on the smaller ones that I take in too.

My small ones are made out of the shiny tile board. I made about 60 of them 6 years ago for CC- still going strong. Cleaned with Rubbing alcohol.

We love all our whiteboards!

We have one 4x6 tile board whiteboard

We have two smaller large lapboard sized

We have two small boards with handwriting lines on one side and blank on the other

All five are in frequent use, and they are heaven-sent for entertaining littles during school time.

I would have a bigger whiteboard if I could.

We are constantly buying new board markers, so I think the whiteboards are just as wasteful as using paper for us. :tongue_smilie:

I am sensitive to the smell of even the Expo brand unscented markers. I have a small whiteboard on my refrigerator door for important reminders. However for things like mind map we use big plain paper. For others we use paper.

Kids have a small whiteboard each they use in the car for doodling. They rarely use it though and prefer to use their composition books.

We don't do chalk as chalk dust is suppose to be bad, and I have asthma.

I accidentally voted "Large", but should've voted "Both".

We have a large 6x4 magnetic whiteboard that we LOVE. I use magnets to post up a section of a history timeline that we're currently working on. I use it to help reinforce lessons of course. My desk is near the right side of it, so I use it as a "to do" list. But we mostly use it as a Daily Scheduler - I made magnets of all our subjects. We slide them around as things get done. My daughter loves it and it's easy for me to see at a glance if she's finished her work. (I attached a photo.)

We also use small, desk whiteboards for math.

post-8662-13535087698457_thumb.jpg

I accidentally voted "Large", but should've voted "Both".

We have a large 6x4 magnetic whiteboard that we LOVE. I use magnets to post up a section of a history timeline that we're currently working on. I use it to help reinforce lessons of course. My desk is near the right side of it, so I use it as a "to do" list. But we mostly use it as a Daily Scheduler - I made magnets of all our subjects. We slide them around as things get done. My daughter loves it and it's easy for me to see at a glance if she's finished her work. (I attached a photo.)

We also use small, desk whiteboards for math.

I love the subject magnets. My kids have asked me to do something like that because they prefer their "to do" lists only have the subjects they do separately, but would like magnets for things like Art, History, Science, Latin that we do together so they know what's also coming up that day.

I have a few small ones that I got at Staples. They're blank on one side, and have lines on the other side for kindergarten level handwriting or so. We use them daily, for handwriting and math and sometimes just for playing games.

She's only in K, so school happens while we're curled up on the couch together, so I think a big white board wouldn't work for our current relaxed style.

I love our big whiteboard (from the same place Kel linked). I don't use it as much as I thought I would, but when I do need it, I find it very valuable. We also use a 2x3 and a lap-sized board, depending on our needs. But I've never been sorry we spent the money on the big board. (I considered tile/showerboard, but I wanted a magnetic board as well, and I didn't have a lot of time to invest in research etc., so I took the easy way out!)

Adding that I also got my large whiteboard from the link that Kel posted from US Markerboard. I am so grateful that she posted a link to that site a few years back (I'm assuming it was her too then), otherwise I wouldn't have splurged on such a purchase.

http://www.usmarkerboard.com/i/4H-x-6W-Brite-Write-Porcelain-Magnetic-White-Markerboard-with-Aluminum-Frame-and-Tray/151791

We use a large magnetic whiteboard every school day. We use All About Spelling and a whiteboard is central to the lessons. It's not fixed to the wall, we leave it up on a shelf and take it down for class. It's a bit bulky, but it gets the job done.

ETA - When I was shopping for one I found that Office Max wanted $55!! Our local grocery had one for $25 and Target got our business with $20. So if you're looking for one, shop around!

My board is by Board Dudes, magnetic, and it's AWESOME. I couldn't find the exact one online (got several a year ago), but it's 17X23 I think. It's big enough to hold math or sentence diagrams but small enough to be on the table in front of you. That's perfect for us. It would be fun to have a HUGE one, but in reality we're content with this inbetween size.

We also use the Board Dudes markers, which you can find online. They're incredibly good, highly recommend. They have two colors per pen, so it lets you be creative without going nuts and getting distracted with too many colors. :lol:

I voted small, but I guess that depends on your definition. We have one that is 16"x20" (which is actually silver) and one that is 24"x36" (notice these are inches, not feet!). I use them every day. I would love to have one that is at least 4 feet x 5 feet. I would write all over it! I would also like to be able to leave some things up there for a few days instead of having to erase the board to use it for another subject and then rewrite what I had to erase. I'm thinking specifically for Greek and Latin, but mostly Greek since my Greek letters are less than stellar. For the life of me I cannot make a decent lower case delta, and every time I have to rewrite something that I erased earlier, I have to do each delta 3-4 times before I get it looking at least respectable. Indy can make them perfectly and thinks it's hilarious that I can't. *hanging head in shame*

We have a large one in our school are that I use constantly. I write on it, tape stuff to it, do math on it, write their daily assignments on it...I would be lost without my white board. I think once you get used to having one it's really nice to have. We tend to stick to one area to do school though. If we were "roving" it would obviously not be as necessary.

I've got a smallish one on a easel that I love to use but it is a pain due to our set-up. I really, really, really want to get set up in the basement with a large one but it seems that is not coming to fruition. There is so much I'd like to use it for though now that I cannot!

I voted both. We use white boards all day, every day. I have a large one (4' by 3') that we use for just about everything. We also have our AAS tiles on it. It is used for math, phonics/reading, and anytime the kids need to really "see" something. We also have a couple of smaller boards (2' by 3') and 2 or 3 lap boards. The kids love to draw on them when we aren't doing school work and one was used for our lemonade stand sign a few weeks ago. :001_smile:

And I have fallen in love with this squeegee like eraser. I bought a couple on clearance at Target for $1.50 but now I'd even pay full price. It works really well and is sort of fun. I know, I don't get out much. :glare::lol:

I love our big whiteboard (from the same place Kel linked). I don't use it as much as I thought I would, but when I do need it, I find it very valuable. We also use a 2x3 and a lap-sized board, depending on our needs. But I've never been sorry we spent the money on the big board. (I considered tile/showerboard, but I wanted a magnetic board as well, and I didn't have a lot of time to invest in research etc., so I took the easy way out!)

:iagree: I've never regretted buying ours.

Adding that I also got my large whiteboard from the link that Kel posted from US Markerboard. I am so grateful that she posted a link to that site a few years back (I'm assuming it was her too then), otherwise I wouldn't have splurged on such a purchase.

http://www.usmarkerboard.com/i/4H-x-6W-Brite-Write-Porcelain-Magnetic-White-Markerboard-with-Aluminum-Frame-and-Tray/151791

:001_smile: yep that was me. I remember the post. Glad I could be of help. I love our board and would be lost without it.

I primarily use the big one, it's 4 ' x 6 '. It's a piece of drywall painted w/ whiteboard paint salvaged from dh's work. They upgraded to clear whiteboard paint in their new office, guess what I want when this one wear's out.;) My dh pinstriped it into two columns. The small column I use for co-op homework and chore lists. We also have 2 lap boards, 2 easel boards, and a 2 ' x 3 ' magnetic whiteboard.

I loved the idea of a LARGE white board but didn't care for the expense when I started shopping around. I compromised by converting an oil drip pan into a LARGE magnetic board that I can easily use with wet erase markers. You can see photos of it hanging in my kitchen here.

So I voted for OTHER since it technically isn't a white board or a chalkboard.

We have one on the wall of our classroom as well and we LOVE it! It was the best $10 I've spent in a long time . The kids use it daily for something or another.

Op

We have a chalkboard ,mini whiteboard and a whiteboard on an easel. We tend to use the easel white board the most . I honestly hope to replace the chalkboard with a large whiteboard in the near future.

Boogie Board.... How do you like it? I've looked at them a few times, but wasn't sure if they'd just be expensive and unused.

I reviewed it on Amazon under the same name.

I have the bigger one and I LOVE it. my writing is neat on it! You can press lightly or heavily and shade a sphere, e.g.

We use it for diagramming, me working out a tough math problem while he works on his page, and I show him how I did it step by step. It is light but sturdy, and a quick press of a button, nice new fresh page.

Kiddo likes it because he can work on something until it is right, and he doesn't have a pile of mistake pages for me to see.