Menu

If you have a normal, suburban backyard...what do your kids do outside?

My girls (8 and 5) will rarely play outside. We have an inground pool, so that takes up some of the backyard (and they love that). But I also want them to go out back and play when I don't have to watch them like I do when they are in the pool. Plus, it is cooling off so they won't be able to swim for too much longer.

We have a metal swingset that's rusted. We need to just throw it out. We have no good trees...only small ones right next to the fence. But they are the kind that stay small. So there's no trees to climb. They walk out there and wander around, then want to come back inside. They have GREAT imaginations indoors. They rarely watch TV or play video games inside so that's not an issue.

For Christmas, I thought about putting them together a box of outdoor things. But I can't think of what to put into it. I thought about putting in a fort making kit.....but then what in the world do they put the fort on? LOL. We have no trees or bushes back there. Then I thought stomp rockets would be neat.....but they'll go over the fence into the neighbors backyards. Plasmacars are neat....but it's grass back there.

What do your kids do in your suburban backyards? And what could I put into the outdoor box if I decide to make one? I want to put things that could be easily put back into the box and stored in the garage. I don't want to leave the box outside in the elements.

I saw some stilts online...my 8 year old may like those.

We had (have) a sand pit, and the kids make/made potions with leaves, flower petals, acorns, moss etc. Elf huts/houses out of twigs, leaves, & forsythia; 'castles' out of sand and pebbles, stones, bark bits, buckets of water, etc. IME, cheap little pots, pans, spoons, sifters etc from yard sales are/were very good for the imagination. My sons were all about the mud 'poisons'. lol Cut brunches and old sheets or blankets make good tents/hideaways.

Edited by LibraryLover

sandbox

bubbles

ball and glove

soccer ball and cones

EZ steppers (inverted bucket type of stilt with a cord

weeding and watering the garden

bug boxes and butterfly net

sidewalk chalk

a few indoor toys that only go out during nice weather (dolls, animals, etc)

picnic blanket and toy food

picnic blanket and box of books

They play with the neighbor kids, jump on the trampoline (a terrific investment), sand box, bicycle, jump rope, scooter, rip-stick, pogo stick, roller blade, obstacle course, pull weeds (for $$ :) ), collect trash around the neighborhood, pull their little sister in a wagon around the cul-de-sac, chalk on the driveway, lawn games like that ladder-ball game, croquet, etc.

But my children hate the cold, so they're mostly inside from October through April. :(

We had (have) a sand pit, and the kids make/made potions with leaves, flower petals, acorns, moss etc. Elf huts/houses out of twigs, leaves, & forsythia; 'castles' out of sand and pebbles, stones, bark bits, buckets of water, etc. IME, cheap little pots, pans, spoons, sifters etc from yard sales are/were very good for the imagination. My sons were all about the mud 'poisons'. lol Cut brunches and old sheets or blankets make good tents/hideaways.

I would love this....but there's no rocks, moss, bark, or anything like that. I could buy a bag of rocks. :lol: Actually, my kids would probably love that. I'll file that idea away in case I put together an outdoor box.

Wooden playset with slide and swings over pea gravel, cars (large and small) in the grass and pea gravel, small jungle gym, hammock, trampoline, tag, hide and seek, water table, etc.

We don't have a bunch of trees either. Sometimes I let them take 'inside' toys outside and they become new again... imaginext buildings and figures, stuffed animals, etc.

if you have a patio, rollerblades are good. We have alot of outside games that my dc play with. Bean bag toss, washers, crochet, ladderball. They play catch alot, football.

Oooh, bean bags may be a good idea. They often talk about playing games in AWANA at church with bean bags. I think they like the bean bag games.

I'm really afraid of kids on trampolines so I don't think I want to go that route (I know, that's a debatable topic LOL). I did see a jungle gym type thing at Toys R Us that could be neat....it was over $100 though.

What age do you think kids have outgrown wooden playsets? Although, we do have an infant who can use it in a year or two. But we seem to get TONS of wasps around our house. So I'm afraid a wooden playset would make a great home for wasps and wood boring bees....we seem to get tons of those too.

Well, my dd is older than your children so she tends to wander the neighborhood, especially when your best friend (who also lives in the subdivision) is home - they are gone from the end of school until after dark riding bikes, walking, playing in random yards, etc.

When we do play in the yard they play soccer, in the sandbox/garden area, sidewalk chalk, hula hoops, etc.

My kids have a wooden playset and they ALL still play on it. Really. My oldest and his girlfriend were out swinging on the swings. My 14 and 12 yo climb on the top. Then, there was the time, they set the slide on fire (I posted about that previously!). I don't ever see us getting rid of it!

My kids also have a trampoline and they LOVE it!!! We have trees that they have hung ropes from and created swings with baseball bats/hockey sticks/pieces of wood. They dig. They LOVE to dig. In the dirt. In the sand. Anywhere.

Do you have a place for riding toys? Bikes. Scooters. Flying Turtles. Sidewalk chalk. Hula Hoops. Baseballs and mitts. Bases. Basketball (we have a hoop). Bubbles. (They are amazingly popular with the older kids too.) Cones.

My kids like to create obstacle courses - so things that they could use for those. Things to jump over and under.

Kites?

What about a family picnic where you gather all sorts of sticks and bring them home? Yeah, they're unsightly, but would lead to all sort of imaginative play. My favorite thing in our suburban backyard was being allowed to dig a deep hole--I had more fun out there. When I was about 8th grade my mom allowed me to pick a pretty bush to plant in the hole (I picked a potentilla) but I sure had fun in the meantime!

Great idea!! We will have to do that one day. I'll bring a big bag and let them throw in sticks and rocks. That will make them VERY happy!

We have a wooden playset and when our college-age kids are home they STILL swing, especially if they bring friends home with them. I think it feels to them like being held across a lap might feel to a 7-8yo, a return to an easier age. My boys have created a complicated game involving bricks made of mud, rocks, and acorns that are all worth various sums of "money." There is a hole large enough that my 5' 2.5" 11yo can sit in w/o being seen; they and the neighborhood kids have been working on it for years.

We do have a park on the street behind us so both boys are sent over there at least once a day on their bikes or scooters, but when the neighborhood kids want to seriously play and get dirty, our backyard is where they go because nobody else's parents will allow such digging and mud-making.

Mine play like this, plus a swingset.

Our yard sounds the same (no pool here though). My dd are 9&5.

They have taken the swings off the set and use it to hang from. :)

I have 2 big buckets from Walmart (they are big enough that 1 could sit in it as a size perspective). They are filled with kitchen "stuff" from Dollar Tree (measuring cups/spoons, strainers, plates, etc) and they have provide 3 years of mud fun. Don't forget whisks, pitchers, etc. we have some little foot stool size things that they set up in the yard as the oven/stove.

Tons of buckets. Get real stuff, not summer toy section stuff....it lasts longer. And they are more creative when its an actual item...

Ours do have free reign on anything...they can pick leaves/flowers/grass....dig holes where ever (but I have trained them to stick to spots near fence so we don't have landmines). Right after mowing is when we have some of the best "salads" and "tacos".

We don't have rocks because that would cause major lawn mower issues for us. But any sticks/limbs we get we pile in one corner because I know they'll eventually find a use.

Everything goes in one of those big buckets when it's time to pick up.

We also have lots of ropes. Foam pads (the kind gardeners kneel on) get great mileage as make shift sleds.

Basically, I've created what I remember of playing in the empty lot as a kid. Stuff they've seen used and the freedom to do it.

Oh....and on the days that I bring out the boxes of corn starch and say "enjoy!"....oh I don't see them for hours!!!! (except as I watch through the blinds)

And mine don't even have super great imaginations inside. :)

Our outdoor yard games (girls 9 and 5 years, corner lot with rail fence):

Croquet

Tea parties

Sprinkler running

wading pool plus water shooters etc.

Madly jumping on small exercise trampoline

Fence walking

People/car watching

Acting out plays

Swordfighting

Water balloon ambushes

Let's Pretend We're....

ETA: Didn't see that you'd asked specifically about items. Tea set and old blanket; water shooters; exercise trampoline*; nerf swords and/or sticks; water balloons; yard debris.

*even six inches off the ground, though, they're a hazard when you try to set distance records by leaping down onto them from a fencepost

Edited by Sharon in Austin

We just moved so our smallish backyard is pretty bare until my husband gets the swingset up in the spring. Still, my 4.5 year old LOVES going out there. Mostly he rides his scooter around the porch (wrap-around on 3 sides) and the short sidewalk leading up to the porch. He also practices with his soccer ball. When his little brother is around they're apt to run in circles for no reason, relocate rocks from under the porch to inside this bushy tree thing, toss pinecones, hide behind the bushes like a fort, or roll down the hill. When the neighbors are out the kids toss things back and forth over the fence and just generally talk and try to make each other laugh :)

Once they get bored of those things we intend to add a few things to increase the options back there :) Namely their swingset + a sandbox, a garden, and a couple orchard trees.

Some simple things you could toss out there for that age are chalk, jump rope, hula hoops, balls (baseball, soccer, basketball, etc), a fold-up tent to make a fort, and bikes/scooters/roller blades. And I agree that indoor toys brought outdoors creates a whole new spectrum for play. And a box, never underestimate the power of a large cardboard box on a sunny afternoon! If you have zero landscaping then maybe now's a good time to take a patch of dirt and plant a few things or for now since it's fall just do a rock garden with the kids, anything to give them natural materials to goof off with.

I'm really afraid of kids on trampolines so I don't think I want to go that route (I know, that's a debatable topic LOL). I did see a jungle gym type thing at Toys R Us that could be neat....it was over $100 though.

What age do you think kids have outgrown wooden playsets? Although, we do have an infant who can use it in a year or two. But we seem to get TONS of wasps around our house. So I'm afraid a wooden playset would make a great home for wasps and wood boring bees....we seem to get tons of those too.

We bought a wooden playset the year the kids were nb, 3, 5, 7 & 13. Best investment ever.

Make a section of the yard just for them, even put up hedges or a fence to make it their own space...short fence with a cute gate. Put a table and chairs in it for tea parties.

Do you have a wooden fence? They could paint (water colors) on the fence or draw with chalk on it.

Rope

Hammer and nails and wood

bucket with bottles from

Rocks, normal ones but add in some colored rocks for aquariums and crystals, also large ones, different sizes so they can build with them

Fairy house supplies

bucket and bottles for water play

jogging trampoline

Spary bottles

Paint brushes for painting with water, doing archeological digs, dusting for finger prints.

Put together a tool box with tweezers, magnifying glass, collection bottles, and other things.

Get them a book like The Daring Book for Girls or others similar so they can get ideas.

Soccer ball to kick

Flashlights for nighttime games

A croquet set

A sandbox (mine used this up until a year ago and the oldest is 13)

Sidewalk chalk if there is a patio

Buckets, bottles, and cups for mixing water, dirt, and leaves

WATER BALLOONS!

Nerf guns/weapons

Roller skates if the patio is large enough

Frisbee

All things my kids enjoy!

We have a toy box with a small variety of toys.

Many are not necessarily "outside toys," but these are the ones that stay out back.

We also have side walk chalk. We have balance/exercise balls and various play balls.

We don't have a swingset and my kids can't be trusted with a jump rope (seriously).

In the garage, we have hula hoops, jump ropes, more balls, bikes, scooters, skateboards, and another toy box. They spend just as much time, if not more, in the garage and front yard (hubby's "man cave" is in the garage set up with his electronic and other toys so he usually handles out front play).

I would LOVE a trampoline, but between cost and agency requirements...I don't know.

Really, with just a few toys, chalk, and a couple balls, kids can use their imagination for everything else. I wouldn't go overboard. Make sure it is stuff you can stand to be/get dirty. A few dollar store toys would be better than stuff you're gonna worry about.

Oh, something we just recently made from PVC was a game like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3-a0kWcfNtbw7lI-hxHQmb0RRYTpESdz64hKEqCwpq-5BRIDuMA

Oh, something we just recently made from PVC was a game like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3-a0kWcfNtbw7lI-hxHQmb0RRYTpESdz64hKEqCwpq-5BRIDuMA

We have this game and they love it! We also have a sand/water table and a free standing basketball hoop. They love sidewalk chalk and make "houses" with it (complete with furniture).

Let's see, what's in our "outside bag": badminton, jump rope, frisbee, tennis balls, bigger balls, hula hoops, sidewalk chalk (not really for the yard), various "play catch" type of toys, bubbles, things to dig with, hand held microscope, blanket to lay on/under, bat, horseshoes...

My kids also ride scooters and play a hide the object game: one person hides the said object and all the other kids have to find it. The hider tells the kids whether they are getting "hot" (close to the object) or "cold" (far away from the object). They play Monkey in the Middle, Red Light-Green Light, hangman (with the sidewalk chalk), and races. They dig in the dirt and use the microscope to look at things; they hunt for bugs.

We only just moved to a house where kids can go out an play; I went to an inexpensive store called Five Below and got all kinds of stuff for the kids to play with outside. All the neighbor kids come to our house and ask to bring out the toy bag ;) The stuff was inexpensive enough that if things get broken from playing, it's not that upsetting. In the summer time we do water balloons and huge water guns.

Over the years my girls love drawing with sidewalk chalk, hula hoops, jumping on the trampoline and climbing trees. Our house came with a large playhouse, so they have enjoyed that over the years, but I was thinking giant boxes would be fun (e.g., washer/dryer sized). My older girl has started box gardening. My boys have always just loved throwing rocks into a bucket of water. We have an empty lot next to us and all my kids love just digging holes in it. Younger daughter has just picked up volleyball and practices against the side of the house.

My older kids used the swingset until they were at least 12. My younger kids still use it. We bought a hardware kit from Swing and Slide and got our own wood at a sawmill. We built one with a bench seat so that adults can swing too, and I used it a ton to swing with infants and toddlers. Wood wasps shouldn't bother the swingset if you use a good paint/stain on it.

We have a nice sandbox that hardly ever gets used, but they love to play with sticks.

My kids like hippity hop, sticks, skipping balls, hula hoops, sticks, soccer or playground balls, wiffle ball and bat, a small garden box with spade and watering can, and sticks.

I haven't read anything past the first page so I hope I'm not repeating too much...

We have a rainbow play structure (bought off of Craigslist at a steal) and my boys love swinging, "driving the spaceship/boat/dump truck/etc." around doing missions. It was such a great investment. We also have an outside playbox filled with sports equipment and they love to golf and play soccer. Golf has gotten tricky since the older boys can vault it out of the yard even with whiffle balls. It's a good thing we know our neighbors well since we're retrieving the other types of balls as well.

Our next project is to procure some fun lawn games like croquet and bocci.

We do have a bigger than average space, so you wouldn't be able to fit everything we have, but...

Stuff we have: pool, monkey bars, trampoline, old leaky dinghy, sand pit, vegie gardens, flying fox, tyre swing, swing set, cubby house, climbing frame, bikes, bike jumps, skates, cricket set, totem tennis, chalk, kite.

Stuff we are planning: another flying fox, basketball hoop, slide, climbing ropes, high rope course, seesaw.

Stuff other people have done: sound wall, fairy garden, teepee, mud kitchen, this kind of thing (don't know what it's called):

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-CbN73VuO_GD15_B23a14XfYqWNsx-BLib-zuprPjS2z8RNOueg

There are also lots of things that are fun to do just occasionally as a change, eg bubbles (your kids might be past the age of being excited by little bubbles but they'd probably still like giant bubbles) or just taking their snacks outside for a picnic tea party.

Edited by Hotdrink

Stomp Rockets. Yes, they go to the neighbor yard sometimes. They go get them :)

Soccer ball.

Baseball/gloves

Nerf football-- yes, even girls play.

Lacrosse stuff

Tetherball

Rebounder net for times when just one kid wants to play ball.

Bug vacuum

Sandbox

Nerf arsenal (swords/guns/crossbow/you name it)

Sidewalk chalk

Hyper dash

Hopscotch equipment

Water guns (warmer weather)/water balloons

Things to build obstacle courses

Badminton

Bocce

Kubbe

Croquet

Remote control planes, kites