Menu

Do you know what math your local PS uses?

Karen in CO

Today I was looking at math samples - if you didn't notice by my previous post. I was curious to see what local local schools use. Here is the second grade sample of the text book used by one of the local schools. I am still looking to see if I can find other schools that have their curriculum posted. Math Trailblazers I read the sample. I am not sure how I feel about it, but I am glad I don't have to teach from it. Do you know what your local schools use?

Guest Prettybutton

Where in SW WA are you where they use Scott Foresman? In Evergreen S.D., I thought they were still using the miserable Connected Math. Practically impossible for a parent to supplement because there are unit pamphlets instead of a book.

Prettybutton

The PS here currently use Everyday Mathematics but they are "testing" out Scott Foresman with all the student starting next week.

My dd is in PS and I hs my ds. Everyday Mathematics is horrible in my opinion. It really has a round about way of solving problems and makes more work out of the whole process causing the children to dislike it.

I know that the Scott Foresman is suppossed to be pretty decent.

HTH,

Alison

Ours uses Growing with Mathematics for K-5, Holt Courses 1,2,3 for middle school, Glencoe Pre-Algebra and Algebra at the middle school and I don't know what they use at the high school.

My dd did Growing with Mathematics last year and it left her more confused about the concepts she knew!

How would you find out what curriculum your ps uses? Since dh wants to seriously consider putting dd in school next year for 2nd grade I would really like to know what they use. Frankly if it is something like Chicago Math there is less than no chance we would do that.

I checked the websites of the local schools, several had links to their curriculum on them. Otherwise, I guess you have to call or visit.

Can't remember the name but my neighbor showed me.

It isn't as bad as some of the ones that you all have been listing. It does teach standard algorithms, however, the topics are not sequential and there is not nearly enough practice.

While I wouldn't instantly gouge my eyes out if my child came home with this textbook I probably do so within a day or two since in this textbook's alternate universe plumbers do number theory on their jobs (aka perform operations on fractions) and mathematicians have been using decimal expansions for centuries in an attempt to understand PI.

Never is an opportunity passed up in which math is not treated like an experimental subject and fallacious reasoning is encouraged whenever possible. Want to know more about PI? Grab a measuring tape and a calculator.

The kids are frequently denied recess all day long and I've been told that the playground is as much fun as the math classes.

112.jpg

Ours uses Glencoe for upper math, but here's the interesting thing--

When ds 16 was in public school, he took Algebra in 8th grade. It was considered advanced, and it was--really Algebra 2 in some ways. He did not do well ('course, that could have been the drugs), so he retook it in 9th grade. You'd think they'd use the same book, but noooo, they used another Glencoe text that taught Algebra on a totally different level--actually easier than the 8th grade text. I guess they reasoned that the 8th graders were advanced, but the 9th graders, just average. Now, does that make ANY sense to you?

Our lower school in Texas used Everyday Math. The main problem with that text is that it is very rarely implemented correctly, using all the manipulatives, all the methods, and such.

I went recently to our elementary school here, and I think they said they use Growing with Math, but I could be wrong. When I mentioned that we were homeschooling and using Saxon, the teacher kind of sniffed and said, "Oh, I'm familiar with Saxon. We chose something else." End of sniff. Brother.

I went recently to our elementary school here, and I think they said they use Growing with Math, but I could be wrong. When I mentioned that we were homeschooling and using Saxon, the teacher kind of sniffed and said, "Oh, I'm familiar with Saxon. We chose something else." End of sniff. Brother.

My dd used GWM and it's to "new math" for my liking. She wasn't allowed to just add 25+63. She had to break it all apart and draw the manipulatives, etc. Now I am trying to retrain her this year and we are really struggling. This is a child that has always been very good at math! Anyway, our local ps used Saxon for the gifted classes and my dd's teacher said she didn't understand why because it wasn't close to being at grade level. I don't get how she could say that when both programs have a similar scope and sequence.

It's pretty easy to find out what your state or local school districts have approved for their textbooks, if follow links from your Board of Ed. I don't know how you would find out exactly which of those each particular school used, though, without asking someone. Wouldn't they use different texts with slower, average, and advanced?

Our schools use Everyday Math. I've known that for years because I hear all the Moms complain about it at our extra curriculars. The biggest complaint from them is they have to "teach" it each night. The child comes home and the parent has a "Parent's Guide" that has the homework assignment and the lesson they are supposed to complete. I say, if you're doing an hour or more of homework each night, you might as well be homeschooling :)

This school year, our local elementary switched from Everyday Mathematics to Houghton Mifflin Math. I know Everyday Math has a horrid rep, but the curriculum change was one reason my dd9 decided to return to homeschooling. She loved E.M. in 3rd grade and was highly disappointed that the school stopped it. LOL