Menu

Less-Creative Homeschool Moms UNITE!

Here's the story:

Ds12 will be participating in a small group homeschool science class organized by a mom I don't know too well, but she seems very nice.

As part of the class, the kids will be writing and producing a play about something relating to the science they're learning in class. They will also be doing some sciency crafts. Additionally, they will be writing poems and stories about this particular area of science, and performing them for the parents on the last day of class.

Here's my issue:

I feel like a complete slug.

I'm not one of the Creative Moms.

I'm not even one of the Sort Of Creative Moms.

I would never think to have my kid write a poem about science. I wouldn't have him write a poem except when it was assigned as part of an English class, unless he suddenly developed a great interest in poetry. (I should add that I really do not see that happening.)

It would not even occur to me that perhaps this sort of thing might be a good idea. I wouldn't have him writing science stories or plays or catchy little science songs, or whatever.

We don't lapbook. We don't notebook. We don't journal.

There is never any haiku involved.

Here are my questions:

Does this make me a horrible mom? I work with ds12 on his schoolwork. I really enjoy teaching my ds. We have a great time together, and I try to make his schoolwork as much fun as I can, but we don't do the whole crafty, rabbit trail, let's-put-on-a-show thing. We do the schoolwork because it has to get done, and then ds can explore the things that really interest him. (Hint: Writing poems is not one of those things. :tongue_smilie: He loves making up stories, but not about school-related stuff!)

Am I the only mom who thinks some of this "extra stuff" is overkill? I mean, if your kid loves a particular subject or topic, I'm all for going more deeply into it, but what about the subjects he just tolerates, or those that he seriously dislikes? Do you still do the stupid timeline??? Do you have to have a pot-luck lunch with recipes related to your Topic of Choice? Does your kid have to write a song that includes all of his spelling words for the week, and then perform it at some sort of Family Talent Show Night?

Because really, I admire the moms who are creative enough to come up with all of those ideas. But I'm not one of them, and I'm finding it harder and harder to relate to the moms who are like that. I secretly wonder if they look at me like I'm some sort of Homeschool Teacher Poster Mom for the Hideously Boring and Unimaginative.

So tell me the truth -- which one are you? Creative & Innovative Homeschool Mom, or Not So Much?

Edited by Catwoman

We might crawl in a hole and never come out if we had to write a poem about science!

Maybe a limerick. Maybe.

But not as part of formal assignments, and it would probably end up related to poop, or farts, or his wrinkley twins.....because everything does.

We do some notebooking type stuff, because he likes to draw, and can work on that while I read to him, or while listen to audio. It is super super simple though and usually just some sheets I printed out with various sized squares and lines in different configurations. Then we 3 hole punch and put the sheets in his binder.

We don't act anything out, but I do read in exaggerated voices to emphasize tone/emphasis/plot point.

I see that those projects can have some value in remembering material, or applying it, but I also see that they could potentially become a huge time suck, that would be better spent actually learning science, which is pretty darn interesting in itself.

If I want something creative, I am more apt to ask him to create a model using found objects/ clay, or to illustrate a concept.

Edited by jeninok

At 12, for science class, I would prefer for them to be doing experiments.

I am a medium crafty Mom, we are doing big notebooking/lapbooking projects for History this year into which I intend to incorporate their writing assignments. The boys really like this, but it is time consuming and about the limit of mess I can tolerate.

However, there is a family in our co-op whose Mom is super crafty and creative. She propelled us all into a massive Ellis Island recreation for 50+ children last year. It was marvelous! That is why we work in tandem with others, to share our gifts. The same crafty Mom hates to do the philosophical discussions that I love.

Bottom line - if your child loves doing the plays and songs, be grateful that someone else is spearheading the initiative and do what YOU are good at to bless someone else.

Creative or crafty is not at all how I would describe myself. I don't think my children suffer because of it. Personally I see a lot of it as extraneous busy work. I can see that some enjoy it though. I guess I'm more of a get it done kind of gal. I don't do those kinds of things because it isn't my personality and I cannot pull it off. We have fun and learn in other ways.

I am sooooooooo not creative. I made 3 people. That is the extent of my craftiness and creativity. My 5yo asked me to teach her by using crafts. I thought about selling her. I could not have possibly produced a crafty child. My older two want to produce a play. I almost had a heart attack. I know they're going to ask me to help create a set. I can't even draw stick people!

Now, I think some extras are nice. Of course my idea of "extras" is "write a paper about xxxx" or "let's watch a YouTube video/documentary about that." if my kids want to make a model of a plant cell, I give them the tools and step away. I don't do crafts.

Bottom line - if your child loves doing the plays and songs, be grateful that someone else is spearheading the initiative and do what YOU are good at to bless someone else.

Thankfully for me, he doesn't love it, either.

I have already expressly warned him that he is not to mention that fact to the mom who is teaching the science class. (He tends to be somewhat brutally honest. :glare: I have no idea where he gets that from. :rolleyes:) I told him that this was one of those times where he has to suck it up and make the best of things, and try to have a good time with it.)

Everyone is creative, but you're probably creative in different ways and in different areas. I'm not creative in the ways that class is. It sounds like the science class is trying hard to bring science alive to the artsy, literary types. If my children were every going to write poems about science, that would be for a writing class, not a science class. It would be to help them understand writing through science, rather than science through writing.

I'm creative, but I'm not artsy. I like cooking, so I tie foods into our history lessons. I call decorating cakes and cookies "art". I'm also musical so I sometimes look for ways to bring music into our lessons. Some of my children think it's fun, but others consider it torture.

My wife could have written that almost exactly as you did. The art/creativity gene totally bypassed us both.

I'm also teaching a science class for high school students at a homeschool co-op this fall. I can guarantee that we won't be writing poetry.

My wife could have written that almost exactly as you did. The art/creativity gene totally bypassed us both.

I'm also teaching a science class for high school students at a homeschool co-op this fall. I can guarantee that we won't be writing poetry.

God bless you!!!

Personally that seems like a strange way to teach science. It sounds like the teacher is working with her own learning/teaching style rather than what might work best for the subject matter or the student's styles. No offense to others, but it seems kind of limiting to me. And I consider myself to be fairly creative.

It reminds me of my history professor who was really an English teacher but was teaching the class anyway. (Who couldn't answer the question of when we started spelling differently from the British in an Early American History class!!!) Or my french teacher who was really the music teacher. She tried to imitate the other french teacher, but their personalities were complete opposites, and our class did not learn as much as the other teacher's class.

Edited by theYoungerMrsWarde

If my children were every going to write poems about science, that would be for a writing class, not a science class. It would be to help them understand writing through science, rather than science through writing.

:iagree:

The weird thing is that I am artsy. I paint. I draw. I sculpt. And my ds likes those things, too. But that's art stuff to us, not part of science class or math class or whatever. I can be creative when I'm doing the art stuff, but it doesn't translate AT ALL to ds's schoolwork. I can't seem to make the same connections that some of the other moms make.

For us, school is school. Art is art. It's separate. Writing stories is for fun or for English class, not for Science.

I guess I'm just too compartmentalized and boring. When I see some of those other moms, I am amazed at how they are able to put all of that creative stuff together.

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

I can't see the point of doing a lot of crafty stuff for science. History, maybe. Literature? Sure. World cultures? For younger kids, maybe. But it really sounds like this mom is teaching the wrong subject. And I say this as a mom for whom "School" today has mostly involved DD turning a cardboard box, wooden mop handle, and a roll of duct tape into a spear and shield while talking about Athena!

Personally that seems like a strange way to teach science. It sounds like the teacher is working with her own learning/teaching style rather than what might work best for the subject matter or the student's styles.

I'm glad you mentioned that. It could very well be the case here.

I think I'm a pretty creative person, but some of those ideas make my skin crawl. Sorry, can't stand the thought of writing a poem about science. :tongue_smilie: Well, unless I'm in a bad mood.

Roses are red

Violets are blue

I hate math

and science too....:tongue_smilie:

I don't...btw...hate math and science. But you get the idea. ;)

And you said you weren't that creative! Stop being so modest there, Wendy! I mean, come on, look at you, writing a whole poem off the top of your head like that! :D

I can't see the point of doing a lot of crafty stuff for science. History, maybe. Literature? Sure. World cultures? For younger kids, maybe. But it really sounds like this mom is teaching the wrong subject. And I say this as a mom for whom "School" today has mostly involved DD turning a cardboard box, wooden mop handle, and a roll of duct tape into a spear and shield while talking about Athena!

I think it's great that the mom is willing to organize it - but doesn't sound much like science to me. When I was in charge of teaching science once a month to 6-13 yo's we did experiments. Poems, plays, and crafts?? Odd.

I am 100% in the "Not so much" column. I am SO not crafty or creative or any of that. And honestly, I have to say that I don't see the value in it most of the time. Thankfully, DS13 feels the same way. I'm pretty sure this is why he decided that he would rather not do the MOH3 co-op. The text looked okay but the the activity guide seemed really ridiculous and juvenile for his age. He just looked at me like, "REALLY? Do I REALLY have to do this?" :tongue_smilie:

So tell me the truth -- which one are you? Creative & Innovative Homeschool Mom, or Not So Much?

I'm pretty creative about school, I think.

My feeling is that a variety of assignments, especially some offering opportunities for creativity, help students with all different kinds of learning styles access and understand the material. Coming at information from a lot of different angles makes it more memorable for many students, too.

My feeling is that a variety of assignments, especially some offering opportunities for creativity, help students with all different kinds of learning styles access and understand the material. Coming at information from a lot of different angles makes it more memorable for many students, too.

That is great if it works for you and your kids. As a student I always hated those kind of projects. I hated having my creativity somehow being tied to proving that I knew something entirely unrelated.

That is great if it works for you and your kids. As a student I always hated those kind of projects. I hated having my creativity somehow being tied to proving that I knew something entirely unrelated.

I remember having to write and perform a song about the structure of a plant cell with a partner in a high school biology class. It was the single dumbest assignment I have ever encountered.

No showing off will be when I bake brownies in the shape of a double helix.

Cool! Tell us when, we'll be there!! :D

Cat, I'm with you. It just wouldn't occur to me to write poetry about science. Or paint a picture about science. I'm just not that "hands on" with learning.

Edited by SunnyDays

I agree. It's perfectly fine if the learning style of the kid is "get 'er done", but some kids retain more with a creative spin. Most likely, her kids are like this and she doesn't really think it's that unusual. I enjoy adding fun creative things to our days. My son's eyes light up when he knows we're going to do an "activity". (I wouldn't describe myself as very creative though- I steal the ideas from other people....no need to reinvent the wheel!)

I'm probably the most boring, dry HS mom out there. :001_huh:If we want creativity and fun for science, Miss Frizzle teaches. :tongue_smilie:

I too, like to create, sew, cook, ect. However, that doesn't translate to school. School is doing what needs to get done so we can do what we want. ;)I have always had such a complex about that because all the HS moms I know are Super-Duper-Creative-Ultra-Fun-Moms. Aaaaaaaaand I'm NOT. :001_huh:

Here's the thing: I have some of the same conflicted feelings about this that I always had about PE in schools. For someone like me, who is not by any stretch of the imagination athletic, the concept of being graded on physical activity and tests was horrific. And if felt very unfair, since I simply wasn't born with those gifts.

But then I started thinking about the kids who were great athletes but not especially gifted at academic work. I'm sure they appreciated their chance to shine in PE and resented the fact that grades in English and such came so easily to me.

Now transfer that basic idea to science classes. You're going to have some students who are best at traditional assignments and others who do better with more "creative" ones. I'm not sure why there's anything wrong with having both, giving each kind of student something that works for them.

In other words, maybe your student hates these kinds of creative assignments and won't do well on them. But for every one of those, there is another student who finds traditional assignments boring and dry and won't do well on or learn from those.

Not everyone will be good at everything or comfortable with every assignment, but there's nothing wrong with giving an equal chance to students with various kinds of gifts and styles. You might even end up showing a student who thinks he or she hates science or is bad at it that science is cool.

I remember having to write and perform a song about the structure of a plant cell with a partner in a high school biology class. It was the single dumbest assignment I have ever encountered.

And, on the other hand, my daughter still remembers and refers to the song parody she had to write in her chemistry class. It's one of the few things she does remember well.

School is doing what needs to get done so we can do what we want.

And that's fine if it works for you and your kids, but, see, that sounds really sad to me. I can't imagine spending every day just going through the motions so you can hurry up and get to the fun stuff. I think -- as do my kids -- that learning IS fun. Not always, not every day, not every subject, but mostly so. And it's the hands-on stuff that brings it alive and makes it that way.

Haha! I was just coming here to ask this exact question! DS, my only child, is 13. Most of his work is workbook based, and I was worried I was a being a bad homeschool mom by not really going into more depth on anything he is learning. He does everything they expect in his curriculum, but nothing really else beyond that. It still takes him 4-6 hours (usually more like 6) to do his work. I'm worried that if I try to do too much more, it would take him FOREVER to do all of it.

I think, like another poster mentioned, that this will appeal and work well for some kids. Obviously, though, that will mean that others don't learn that well or enjoy it. I think the happy medium would be offering the students a choice in how they present their work. "You may write a #page paper, #words minimum OR You may write a #minute song about the subject, draw a picture, sculpt a model, choreograph an interpretive dance...." ;)

My kids enjoy doing some crafty things. My daughter would LOVE that class, and probably learn a lot. My older son would enjoy some of it, but he would take an F before he would act in a play...about anything. YDS, he learns well that way, but it's hard to keep him focused when there is "fun" going on. He gets carried away and the educational value is lost. He'd be a nightmare in that class.

Like someone else said, I try to include fun or crafty things daily. However, I'm not ultra fun, and I'm only crafty with what *I* enjoy. So, like her, I "borrow" ideas I find online.

I think, like another poster mentioned, that this will appeal and work well for some kids. Obviously, though, that will mean that others don't learn that well or enjoy it. I think the happy medium would be offering the students a choice in how they present their work. "You may write a #page paper, #words minimum OR You may write a #minute song about the subject, draw a picture, sculpt a model, choreograph an interpretive dance...." ;)

My kids enjoy doing some crafty things. My daughter would LOVE that class, and probably learn a lot. My older son would enjoy some of it, but he would take an F before he would act in a play...about anything. YDS, he learns well that way, but it's hard to keep him focused when there is "fun" going on. He gets carried away and the educational value is lost. He'd be a nightmare in that class.

Like someone else said, I try to include fun or crafty things daily. However, I'm not ultra fun, and I'm only crafty with what *I* enjoy. So, like her, I "borrow" ideas I find online.

I'm not into the crafty competition. It is the way some kids are wired, and that's great for them, but it doesn't mean any less learning is going on at the git er done house. They just may have completely different hobbies.

Here's the thing: I have some of the same conflicted feelings about this that I always had about PE in schools. For someone like me, who is not by any stretch of the imagination athletic, the concept of being graded on physical activity and tests was horrific. And if felt very unfair, since I simply wasn't born with those gifts.

But then I started thinking about the kids who were great athletes but not especially gifted at academic work. I'm sure they appreciated their chance to shine in PE and resented the fact that grades in English and such came so easily to me.

Now transfer that basic idea to science classes. You're going to have some students who are best at traditional assignments and others who do better with more "creative" ones. I'm not sure why there's anything wrong with having both, giving each kind of student something that works for them.

In other words, maybe your student hates these kinds of creative assignments and won't do well on them. But for every one of those, there is another student who finds traditional assignments boring and dry and won't do well on or learn from those.

Not everyone will be good at everything or comfortable with every assignment, but there's nothing wrong with giving an equal chance to students with various kinds of gifts and styles. You might even end up showing a student who thinks he or she hates science or is bad at it that science is cool.

I don't think the analogy holds. As physical activity is an appropriate assessment of PE, whereas arts/crafts/etc is not an accurate assessment of Science.

Fwiw though I don't think general PE should be assessed on skill in any particular sport, but rather participation. I always stunk at sports but did fine in PE just because I put forth effort, it wasn't about skill level. As imo the goal of general PE classes is just physical activity, not physical prowess.

I agree as well with other posters that a better option would be to allow students to show their knowledge in a way that suits them. One should not get a failing grade in Science though because their unable to do art or music, there are other classes at school for those things. The grade in science class should represent whether or not they know science.

Please don't feel sorry for the non-artsy folks though. We can enjoy school and learning without it. Everyone has different hobbies. We aren't wired the same. That is one of the best things about hs'ing is that we can cater to our own kids and our particular learning styles. Some of think science is crazy fun, or math, or discussions about various topics. Some of us find the other stuff sucks the fun out of learning because it does connect (in our mind) unrelated things. That doesn't mean we only ever use one way to teach but arts, crafts and singing are just one of many different ways to approach a subject.

I think it's nice to approach things from different angles if the first angle didn't work and the kid isn't grasping the material. Otherwise, I think it's often a waste of time.

I also think that you need to determine what material is worth going to that much trouble for your kid to learn. Kids don't really need to remember every little detail about everything they cover in school, so sometimes all of the extras are just overkill. IMO, sometimes it really is OK to let a kid learn something "just for the test," without delving deeper into the topic or presenting it in six different ways.

:lol:

So are you going to write a poem about it?

Yeah, sure. I'll get that to you ASAP. :glare:

After reading Ghee's post, I'm also considering adding an interpretive dance to the whole thing. (Does Zumba count?)

:tongue_smilie: :tongue_smilie: :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Catwoman

No showing off will be when I bake brownies in the shape of a double helix.

Mmmm...nothing like a warm, gooey heterocyclic amine fresh from the oven.

I am the least creative person on the planet.

I do not to crafts. I do not lapbook. Shudder.

I'd seriously rather clean all the toilets in the house than do a lapbook.

Hear, hear, Sister. Fortunately, my kid is equally un-crafty (to the point where he would do worksheets that asked him to "color the pictures that start with the 'r' sound red" by carefully writing "red" in that area with a regular pencil). I haven't seen him volunteering to clean any toilets, though.

Hear, hear, Sister. Fortunately, my kid is equally un-crafty (to the point where he would do worksheets that asked him to "color the pictures that start with the 'r' sound red" by carefully writing "red" in that area with a regular pencil). I haven't seen him volunteering to clean any toilets, though.

LOL, there were a few sheets for ds' Math(RS) that had him coloring last year or the year before and he just hated that, he always just asked if he could color it with the pencil. He hated the map pages for SoTW and did the least amount possible.

School is doing what needs to get done so we can do what we want. ;)

Same here! :001_smile:

I just love that you came right out and admitted this!! :hurray:

Thank you. I am not a proud woman. :tongue_smilie:

Fortunately, my kid is equally un-crafty (to the point where he would do worksheets that asked him to "color the pictures that start with the 'r' sound red" by carefully writing "red" in that area with a regular pencil).

My ds would use the red pencil, and just put a red X through the pictures that were supposed to be colored red. I asked him why he didn't color in the pictures, and he said, "It takes too long, and you know what I mean, anyway, right?" I couldn't argue with that logic. I did know what he meant and it did take less time just to make an X.

Ok, I'll admit, I'm a very crafty, artsy, creative person. HOWEVER, that isn't a huge part of our school. For the most part we are just like you. We do the school stuff, get it out of the way, and then do the things we really want to do.

My kids craft, sew, cook, etc. But when I try to incorporate that in a "fun" way into our school work, it just becomes work. It doesn't make school fun for us. So it remains what we do for fun.

I think you are doing just fine. And I don't think you are awful for not wanting to do it.

LOL, there were a few sheets for ds' Math(RS) that had him coloring last year or the year before and he just hated that, he always just asked if he could color it with the pencil. He hated the map pages for SoTW and did the least amount possible.

Heh. And I'm sorry to tell you that it may well get no better. Mine is high school aged now and, oh, the grousing and gnashing of teeth when he has to draw a diagram for a geometry problem. Solid geometry nearly sends us all around the bend.