Menu

Someone questioned our schedule and now I am wondering

I hate that. You are going along with your life, happy and content, then someone questions you and adds doubt.:glare:

So either reassure me we are fine or tell me what to do.

Dd is 7 and in 2nd. Her schedule is:

Bible (our own thing) 5-15 mins

Spelling (old 4th grade speller done every other week) 15 mins

Vocabulary (Wordly Wise book 2 done every other week) 15-20 mins

Language (FLL 3) About 15 mins

Oral Math (using a vintage math book) 20 mins

Assigned reading time varies but average 20 mins

break ideally this is a 20 minute break unless I need to help my ds on something

Math (BJU 3rd) 45mins

Science (Apologia Astronomy and ES Astronomy) 20 mins

World Geography (my own curriculum) 20-30 mins

Book Basket time which consists of books on the subjects being studied in Geography and Science...30 mins

Art and some Latin are thrown in during the week but will-nilly like, no scheduled days.

Times do vary but we are done by lunch. This was what was questioned, her being done by lunch. The person felt she was doing too little and I need to add in more work. What is your opinion? Should I add more or spend more time in a subject? Keep it the way it is? Grrrr, I hate when this happens.

Sounds very balanced to me and I don't see what you could be missing. Considering past threads about times in elementary it seems often people average to about # of hrs= grade of school. We can be done by lunch here or we can take multiple breaks and go all day, depending on my mood, their mood and our schedule for the day.

My 3rd grader has a similar amount of subjects, but her times are much longer. She cannot finish that much before lunch. So it just sounds to me like your child is extremely focused. If you took my 8 yr old and did the same program with her, you would have a hard time getting her to focus and transition that many times before lunch. So it would be the same amount of work, but it would take a couple of hours after lunch for her to finish (plus a little math homework at night..)

So it sounds fine to me. I am jealous over your dd's ability to stay focused and get it done that quickly.

My 3rd grader has a similar amount of subjects, but her times are much longer. She cannot finish that much before lunch. So it just sounds to me like your child is extremely focused. If you took my 8 yr old and did the same program with her, you would have a hard time getting her to focus and transition that many times before lunch. So it would be the same amount of work, but it would take a couple of hours after lunch for her to finish (plus a little math homework at night..)

So it sounds fine to me. I am jealous over your dd's ability to stay focused and get it done that quickly.

I was blessed with 2 like this, my oldest son and dd...both think school is/was a bother so lets get it done and life can begin. The other two sons would stare out the window and only come back to earth with prodding.

I had a similar conversation with a co-worker...we were discussing kindergarten (I HS, her kids are in PS.) She asked how long our work takes. I told her that seatwork took about an hour a day. Her response? "How can that one hour possibly compare to the 6 hours my daughter spends in school?" I then mentioned how one-on-one instruction is very productive, and I wasn't factoring in reading time, arts & crafts, piano lessons, horseback riding, etc. etc. etc. I think she "got it" after that.

I had a similar conversation with a co-worker...we were discussing kindergarten (I HS, her kids are in PS.) She asked how long our work takes. I told her that seatwork took about an hour a day. Her response? "How can that one hour possibly compare to the 6 hours my daughter spends in school?" I then mentioned how one-on-one instruction is very productive, and I wasn't factoring in reading time, arts & crafts, piano lessons, horseback riding, etc. etc. etc. I think she "got it" after that.

Isn't that funny. And just think that back in the day, K wasn't mandatory in our state, so dh never went at all. He just went straight to 1st grade at age 6 w/no prior preschool or anything. I only went to K for 2 hrs a day. That 2 hrs included story time and craft time or playing with clay daily and a little seat work with a full class of kids. How did we ever pass the rest of elementary school ? LOL

I have learned not to compare our schedule to other people's schedules. My 7th graders get finished very quickly. But they still do more work than most ps kids. They just work fast (they want to get it over with!). Your friend would be shocked to hear that they are often done by lunch as well. They do start fairly early...but it just doesn't take them long.

I can only think PS. Her children are all grown, but she did homeschool for a while.

She probably did "school at home" style of HSing. Here's the thing; as a HSer you spend every waking moment learning. When yu have a coversation about "why the sky is blue", to her helping you bake a cake, she is learning. Next time someone asks about your schedule tell them "we're HSers, we never stop learning".

For this woman in particular.... well, she's wrong. It's not about the amount of time or even the amount of work. It's about the quality and retention of the material (from a book or your brain makes no Diff.) that should count. More importantly it's about the joy you and your child feel each and every day you spend together.

Now I have to go nag my children to hurry up... Lollygaggers!;)

I was honestly expecting the opposite comment (not to make you concerned in the opposite direction).

I probably sound like a complete slacker when answering such questions. Ultimately, a general description of what we do and how long it takes doesn't remotely communicate my child's education. Especially since I don't actually schedule or time history and science related stuff or count our modern foreign language studies at all. Or piano. So, when asked about how long we "do school", I refer only to table work which can take as little as 45 minutes. On the one hand I'm wondering if I should blush because it sounds like I don't have high educational standards and on the other hand I'm usually hiding the fact that my child spends a third of that seat time on Latin (and then two/three more languages which I'm typically leaving entirely off the radar).

Can I also mention, for anyone that would be offended in similar situations, it's during conversations like these that I might mention DS being advanced in various key areas just to make up for the fact that it looks like he does next to nothing and it sounds less pretentious than mentioning that he's learning 3-4 languages, including, and primarily, Latin. Basically, I don't really want to talk about it at all and am hoping the circling sharks will move on, not examine me closer. I really don't feel like I can come out on top of any encounter.

I know, I'm a wimp. :closedeyes: It's a character flaw that I'm working on.

:D

Thanks all.

We will happily continue with our short days.

Maybe I need a multi sided sign to put out on the front lawn when dd is out there:Nature Study in Progress, or role playing, cooking simulation(for mud pie and nature soup making), animal husbandry(when playing with the dog), botany class, PE...things like that. Might make her happy knowing school is still in session even though dd is out having fun.

:D

Thanks all.

We will happily continue with our short days.

Maybe I need a multi sided sign to put out on the front lawn when dd is out there:Nature Study in Progress, or role playing, cooking simulation(for mud pie and nature soup making), animal husbandry(when playing with the dog), botany class, PE...things like that. Might make her happy knowing school is still in session even though dd is out having fun.

Is this person a neighbor? Now I'm wondering what kind of sign I could put up for a nosy neighbor-friend when DS it outside prowling the property and practicing his bird calls .. or when the whole herd it outside role-playing various animals (some fictional) while the neighbor's children are at school.

I could have DS make the signs and file it under "art".

you are in the wrong rabbit hole.

Everyone's rabbit hole is different.

I have four kids in the house right now. Three kids are being homeschooled. I farm out one child every half hour to keep the three years old in check. Another child is farmed out for lunch prep.

We start at 9am and not truly finished til about 6:30pm. Our days seem long but there are tons of breaks for each child due to playing/watching three yrs old.

Now that I have been on preterm contractions and need acupuncture everyday (just this week)---the days are longer because I am not there to do direct teaching. This schedule should decrease by next week to three times a week, then two times and then one time a week.

But this is what works for our family.

Everyone is different. Some kids whizz throught their work and others don't and need lots of breaks. Heck I need the break so sometimes I let the kids play while I take a bathroom break or just a break in general.

Every family determines their subjects and how long they should take.

We have lots of subjects because it makes the day go by faster.

These are my thoughts, my 7 year old son wouldn't get that much done on a good day. However, it is because he drags a 10 minute lesson into an hour :( If he worked like he was supposed to then we could finish by lunch. Never would I say someone is doing too little after hearing that!! My 5 year old will come closer to doing so than my oldest ever will. Some kids are better managers of their time, as are some adults. Don't let it get you down!

I agree with the # of hours per grade in school.

My 2nd grader works quickly. If I just had her and did all of her seatwork in one go, she would get the basics done in 1-2hours. I am constantly getting to the end of the day feeling like she's missing something...and realizing, no - she just works efficiently.

Our 2nd grade only took 2.5 hours total. This year, 3rd is a bit longer, and when adding in the K'er I usually can't get done by lunch, but sometimes we can.

ETA: Forgot to mention that I see absolutely nothing wrong with your schedule. :)

Edited by boscopup

you seem to have a well rounded schedule with a very focused child. congrats on that! My son is 4th grade and is finished by lunch. he can't handle too much on his plate or he crumbles so I keep it light. I have been questioned also about him, so I test him once a month to see if he is retaining the work. and he does retain and I can tell he is learning when he reads and talks. You have to ignore the comments and do what works for you and your family. its hard, but in the end, you will be the one to deal with the results, either way. It's easy for others to have an opinion about your life, when they don't live it!

I agree, it looks fine. I believe in shorter, meaningful lessons in the younger years. I have never wanted my kids to dread learning - and long, tiresome lessons are sure to create anxiety.

All of my friends have their kids in public school, and a couple of them have kids who are there ALL day and come home with loads of homework. These kids are in 1st and 2nd grade! Wow, what a way to burn a kid out on school.