Menu

Just when you thought you'd seen it all-$290 paper bag

I can't help but wish I could meet the people who would actually buy these things. Their mental incompetence must be just amazing to see in action. :tongue_smilie:

This. I also often wonder if some designers just really want to see what people will buy in the name of "fashion."

I had to stop reading most magazines because I spent most of my reading time arguing mentally with the "articles" and product assortments *sigh*

Hey, thank you, I have a new plan to make big bucks. I'll run down to Walmart and buy a whole stack of brown paper bags and use a sharpie to write my name on the bottom edge. I have thin sharpies and can write really neatly. You're a lifesaver!!! I can charge 25.00, way undercutting the other designer, ship them out via priority mail, and make a mint!!!! I might even spring for a nice colored tissue paper to wrap the bag in. Wow, you are genius for linking that. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Who dares me to set up an Etsy shop?:cool:

Hey, thank you, I have a new plan to make big bucks. I'll run down to Walmart and buy a whole stack of brown paper bags and use a sharpie to write my name on the bottom edge. I have thin sharpies and can write really neatly. You're a lifesaver!!! I can charge 25.00, way undercutting the other designer, ship them out via priority mail, and make a mint!!!! I might even spring for a nice colored tissue paper to wrap the bag in. Wow, you are genius for linking that. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Apparently, you should add handles. Extra grommets in the top and some ribbon shouldn't cost much. ;)

Apparently, you should add handles. Extra grommets in the top and some ribbon shouldn't cost much. ;)

I have lots of ribbon and the thingy to put grommets in. Would you be interested in a partner?:lol: We could name our new company "The Nuclear Lion"

You know, that's what all those articles about rising income inequality mean. Some people are getting advice to water down powdered milk so it will go further, and some people can afford a $300 paper bag. Get used to it, because the trend of rising inequality is not going away.

I guess there are some people who have too much money in their hands. Pretty sad, actually. Sad for them, that they can't think of more useful things to do with their cash, and sad for the people who could really use the $290.

I have to disagree with that. If people have the money and want to spend it on $290 paper bags, good for them. It's their money and it's none of my business what they choose to do with it.

I'm sure I buy a lot of things that would make people think I should have more useful things to do with my cash, so I try not to judge other people's spending habits, as long as they can afford to pay for the things they buy.

That said, I have no problem at all criticizing the $290 paper bag buyers for their extreme lack of good taste -- those bags are ugly!!! :D But hey, I'm sure people say the same thing about my zebra-striped iPad case... :tongue_smilie:

See and I didn't even have to pay for market research.

I have lots of ribbon and the thingy to put grommets in. Would you be interested in a partner?:lol: We could name our new company "The Nuclear Lion"

OMG, I totally love that name. how cool.

See and I didn't even have to pay for market research.

OMG, I totally love that name. how cool.

May I suggest that if you are going to sign your name on the product, you use not a Sharpie, but one of the Bic for Her pens mentioned in an earlier thread? Maybe you could even thrown in one of those lovely writing devices as a "gift with purchase." ;)

May I suggest that if you are going to sign your name on the product, you use not a Sharpie, but one of the Bic for Her pens mentioned in an earlier thread? Maybe you could even thrown in one of those lovely writing devices as a "gift with purchase." ;)

OMG, we almost lost another laptop when I read that!

BTW, did anyone notice the article states:

And it seems there is a market for it. LN-CC’s website said the medium bag is sold out.

What a brilliant idea. Do you realize how much y'all are missing out on by not charging for your marketing advice. :lol:

Bic in a Bag by the Nuclear Lion.

I don't even pay that much for a leather handbag. What the heck are people thinking?

When I need a gift bag, I usually go for the $1.99 ones at Target. They're much bigger and come in pretty colors. :D

Let's all say it together: Common sense is so rare it should be a superpower.

Dear people who spend $290.00 for a paper bag, I would like to offer you the deal of a life time.

A fabric shopping bag WITH handles. Made of the finest quilter's cotton and possessing 10 cubic inches more capacity, all for the bargain basement price of $275.99. Choice of four color schemes - blues/greens, black/white, chocolate brown/pink, green/lavender.

Taking orders now. Hurry, you won't want to miss out on this primo offer.

:D Faith

I have to disagree with that. If people have the money and want to spend it on $290 paper bags, good for them. It's their money and it's none of my business what they choose to do with it.

I'm sure I buy a lot of things that would make people think I should have more useful things to do with my cash, so I try not to judge other people's spending habits, as long as they can afford to pay for the things they buy.

That said, I have no problem at all criticizing the $290 paper bag buyers for their extreme lack of good taste -- those bags are ugly!!! :D But hey, I'm sure people say the same thing about my zebra-striped iPad case... :tongue_smilie:

Interesting point of view. Having the freedom to buy that kind of stuff doesn't make it any less wasteful. I could say the same thing about your zebra-striped iPad case and the iPad, too. I could say the same thing about a lot of stuff I buy. There are so many of us who are caught in the consumer mode and don't really give a hoot about what we really NEED and what others in our neighbourhood NEED, much less the rest of the world.

:lol:

Interesting point of view. Having the freedom to buy that kind of stuff doesn't make it any less wasteful. I could say the same thing about your zebra-striped iPad case and the iPad, too. I could say the same thing about a lot of stuff I buy. There are so many of us who are caught in the consumer mode and don't really give a hoot about what we really NEED and what others in our neighbourhood NEED, much less the rest of the world.

In theory, that's true, and it's a lovely sentiment, but then you start getting into issues of what constitutes "what we really need," and that kind of discussion never ends well, because everyone has a different perception of that. I may feel that I "need" several luxury cars because I can afford them and I like them, and I take pleasure from driving them... but another person may feel that she "needs" a small economy car, and a third person might say that no one really "needs" a car at all, because they have feet and they can walk places instead of driving to them. And that's pretty much the case with every single thing we buy -- the big house, the small house, the vacation home, the trailer, or a cardboard box under a bridge... which do we "need," and who gets to decide? And if we can afford more than we "need," why shouldn't we save it for retirement or to leave to our kids when we're gone? Why should we work hard to earn a lot of money, and not be able to do with it as we wish?

Speaking from a personal perspective, I don't think anyone has the right to judge how other people spend their money. If it's not my money someone is spending, I have no claim on that money, nor am I entitled to tell them what they should do with it. I would hope that people will try to help others on a regular basis, whether monetarily or through their actions, but I'm not about to tell anyone that they have to do that.

Of course, all of my opinions are coming from a very serious consumer who shops way too much, so you may want to completely disregard everything I say! :D