Menu

Too many books or not enough bookcases?

You can't have too many books so it must be lack of bookshelves.

:iagree:

You do know what board you're on, don't you? :D

What you need is floor to ceiling built-ins in every room, or as many as possible. If your significant other/parents/neighbors won't accomodate your construction wishes, then you'll have to go for the tallest Billy shelves that will fit and line them in every room possible, as in above scenario. Once those shelves are filled and you can't fit any more in the house, you have to go with "decorative" stacks placed in odd corners, under tables, in the stairwells, front (covered) porch, etc.

P.S. I love any bookshelf made of wood or that at least looks like wood. I love the look of "floating" bookshelves, but they're not quite as practical as a "normal" one since you have to lift all the other books off in order to get a book on the bottom. Oh, if I could have those old-fashioned bookshelves with the glass doors (what are they called?) - so beautiful!

Edited by Susan in TN

I think we are up to 20 bookcases. A significant number of those are Billy Bookcases from IKEA. DH built me bookcases in our first place. But, they were too big and heavy to take with us when we left. So, it is the Billy until we settle into a forever home.

And dh knew the score when he married his bibliophile. He even brings me books! :)

You can't have too many books so it must be lack of bookshelves.

:iagree::iagree:

I'm pretty sure we're up to 20 by now. We have all different bookshelves.. I only think we have two that are matching and they're mostly from garage sales or bought randomly at places I don't remember so I'm no help with that.

We chose this house partially based on the built in bookshelves. Those are almost filled so we also just use bookcase boards and cinder blocks since neither of us are handy and we tend to move around. The cinder blocks are good because you can store videos and other smaller school things in the holes (although they aren't beautiful). Dh has them set up so that all the gravitational pull is towards the wall, so they are safer than wooden bookshelves.

We just made a temp move across country for a year and I had leave my precious books and HUGE bookcases for a year. wah!

Do you know how hard it is to try to plan which books to bring for a year??? :glare:

I've already had my Dh bring a big suitcase of books back when he was back there for work and have another list ready for him when he goes back next month. I keep thinking of books we need for a certain subject or that I realize is on a reading list that I missed in the whirlwind move.

All that being said, I'll have transferred enough books post move that I need another bookshelf in the rental house and IKEA is the best bet. They have a huge variety of sizes and prices to fit anyone's needs!

Even if you have to travel a bit, IKEA is worth the trip!

Yeah, really, are you serious? It's obviously too few bookcases. Duh.

(I confess that I've purged a couple hundred books the children have outgrown, over the past couple of weeks. But, really, that's not "too many", just the wrong books to have ;) )

Oh, if I only knew how to multi quote!!! I knew you guys would get it! :001_smile:

I was really just trying to fit **squeeze** my books in - and I have decorative stacks everywhere - and some of them resemble the Tower of Pisa.:D But I really have to get another (few) bookcases. Truly. I don't know why I have been making do for this long.

Built Ins are a dream; leaving behind books for a year or more is a nightmare. I can't imagine -and I've actually tried - kind of like a prepper. If we had to bug out, which 5 books would I grab to keep HS the kids??

So I saw a couple of recommendations for Billy bookcases from Ikea - so I'll check those out online.

You might just have the books going the wrong way. If you stack them vertically, instead of putting them along in a horizontal row, you can fit sooo many more into a bookshelf. And then you can pile them on top of the shelf all the way to the ceiling.

They are already stacked to the ceiling :blush: on the bookshelves we own.

I ran out of bookshelves and was too lazy to go get more. So now in addition to two built in bookcases and six free standing bookshelves, I have many baskets around the house with books in them.

Yes, that too, *sigh*. I've even taken over some of the laundry baskets although I much prefer the more decorative brown basket weave type ones.

Be careful of those decorative piles. My piles have grown to the point that they could by some be considered hordes. :glare::D

Yes, my mil has already made the comment about the piles in my school room: "how do you find anything??" which was rhetorical - cause she smirked and walked away - she can't really stand books. :glare: Which is a shame for her, really.

One of reasons I can't wait for dh to hit his 20 with the military is so I can finally settle in one place and commit to a better book organization system. I tend to use book shopping on amazon as my retail therapy. I think we should start a thread of photos of our books/bookshelves. I'd feel less guilty to see that we're all addicts.

Yeah, really, are you serious? It's obviously too few bookcases. Duh.

(I confess that I've purged a couple hundred books the children have outgrown, over the past couple of weeks. But, really, that's not "too many", just the wrong books to have ;) )

Well said! I wasn't going to answer this thread because I felt that with all the purging I've done lately, I can't say that I feel we don't have enough bookshelves. I do find that I'm *needing* less bookshelves though. Until more show up at least!:tongue_smilie:

One of reasons I can't wait for dh to hit his 20 with the military is so I can finally settle in one place and commit to a better book organization system. I tend to use book shopping on amazon as my retail therapy. I think we should start a thread of photos of our books/bookshelves. I'd feel less guilty to see that we're all addicts.

Welllllll, I'll show you mine if you show me yours....;)

I KNOW I'm an addict. I pretend I "own" the library.:lol:

• 2 weeks later...
I think that I either have too many books, or not enough bookcases.

Since I am SURE that I do NOT have a problem that requires correction with 12 steps, I am thinking that I should purchase a really large bookcase or bookcases.

So, Hive, which bookcase do you love?

Hoarding is still hoarding EVEN IF it's books. I have completely reformed in the last few years. Now, we get rid of any book we'll never read again. We still have a lot, but for the first 15 years of our marriage no book EVER left the house once it entered. They're just books, we have an excellent library, and real estate is epensive. I learned to let go.

We've cut back to 13 bookcases. I 'think' we could go down to 12 if I emptied the 'giveaway' bookcase that I've neglected to deal with.

Edited by KungFuPanda

Honestly, right now I'm purging. I have been reading the threads about purging and cleaning out and having only what matters and what you can take care of. So I am doing that. BUT, I am not going to sell or give away certain school books that I *may* need for my littlest one. IF he doesn't use those or IF we send him to school then I'll have one massive sell off. Also, I have some books from childhood and there will be ones from theirs that I will not sell off, but rather give to them and their kids.

But I really like those Ikea bookshelves.....