Menu

Deva girls ...

I'm getting a deva cut tomorrow. <excited>

I've been doing curly girl stuff for almost a year now, and this weekend we're vacationing near where there's a Deva stylist so in I go for a dry cut. She's pretty inexpensive compared to all the Seattle area gals I queried, so I'm maintaining hope that once in awhile you get more than you pay for.

Edited by milovaný

My friend is a Deva stylist :) She always had wavy hair that she'd straighten, then one day at a stylist conference a Deva salesperson "did" her hair. Holy cow! She has the most amazing curly hair that now takes almost no time to do every day.

Dd12 has long wavy hair. She's begging me to let my friend start her on Deva products to see if her hair will be as curly :lol:

My daughter just had hers cut a week ago. It was funny to see it being cut while she was standing up. The stylist did a great job - nice layers that don't make her look like a Christmas tree!

I hope you are as happy with yours.

Interesting! I knew that I had to get my hair into its most curly state to go in, and that it would be cut dry, but I hadn't heard about possibly standing.

How exciting! A Deva cut is on my list of things for someday...I think there is a stylist somewhere not too far away but I'm always apprehensive before trying something new, but all the other Curly Girl methods have turned out to work really well for me so I want to work up the bravery, it will probably be great! And if not, oh well, it's just hair, right?

How exciting!!!

Pink has curly hair but she's only 3 :lol: ... I would like to try to figure out some of the curly tips & tricks for her hair (and not pay a hefty price tag for a haircut for a 3 year old ;) ) so I'm looking at the book...

I might be considered swavy (or whatever it is :lol: ) but I'm not sure. Right now it's so short I don't think it would matter, anyway...

Quick question, not to hijack, but I was wondering: best shampoo/conditioner/routine for curly hair? I don't wash Pink's hair all that often, and I feel like I'm constantly putting conditioner or something on it to try and style it and contain the curls so they aren't frizzy. AND how do I make the hair that is on top of her head not flat to it? AND one last thing :lol: - what are the little clip things for, in the videos on the website? Are they just placed in there randomly or what?

OP, I SO want to see your hair when it's done! :D

I'm so jealous. I looked up some Deva stylists here while back and I might very well splurge on that next year when we have more disposable income. Right now I need any haircut, my self done hair cuts were going ok but now it is looking frizzy, sigh!

Okay, I'm back. I only have my phone so will post pictures later. Loved the way it's different to get it cut dry (oh, I didn't have to stand), although she did run her fingers through my hair more than I expected her to. I really wish I would have had had her keep the length longer. Usually when I get a cut, I have them cut it to shoulder length because I only get it cut once a year or so, but I realized as I drove away my goal is to be able to wear it longer without the frizz driving me nuts, so I should have kept it longer but gotten it shaped, layered according to deva principles. Next year! :) I asked a ton of questions and got a lot of info. on her recs. for washing, conditioning, and gelling. I bought the deva brand sulfate-free cleanser and will see how that goes. She raved about it but I've also seen people say they didn't love it.

Natalieclare, this was Port Orchard but there are some stylists in Puyallup, Bellevue and Seattle. Spendier in those locations ($60-$80; my gal was $35). Google deva cut locator to find options near you.

Edited by milovaný

Okay, here are photos.

The first is me maybe three years ago before I started doing anything. This is the long kinda-curly-but-mostly-frizzy hair I had for so long.

The second is me this morning (before the cut, but after I'd done what I've been doing for a year or so to get it curly, deva-style). So it's the curliest I could get my hair (I don't usually do everything to get it this way though). She'd asked me to come in as curly as I could with my hair dry. It's curly, but without any layering it just felt so flat on top and on the sides.

The third is after the deva cut. She used the no-poo deva cleanser, the deva conditioner and then a lot of the deva gel. I sat under a drying hood for awhile. It's shorter than I should have gotten it done, because I want to wear it longer (just need it to be less weighty/flat) but it's okay. This is a learning process over time.

The last one is the back of my hair after the cut. She said I'm much more curly around my face than in the back.

There you go!

post-4372-13535087368631_thumb.jpg

post-4372-13535087368715_thumb.jpg

post-4372-13535087368985_thumb.jpg

post-4372-13535087369285_thumb.jpg

post-4372-13535087368631_thumb.jpg

post-4372-13535087368715_thumb.jpg

post-4372-13535087368985_thumb.jpg

post-4372-13535087369285_thumb.jpg

Oh, I love it! It looks fantastic.

I need to get a Deva stylist--mine is wavy and I hate the way stylists seem to want to flat iron or round brush mine. I never, ever wear it that way and I have no desire to start, but they do it even if I protest. And then they try to use a curling iron on it to get it to curl/wave. Ha. That does not work on my hair.

You look great! I really like the cut, and now I'm eager to get my Deva cut set up.

BTW for those who are curious, here's a recent thread where we talked about Deva cuts.

I forgot about that thread already, wow. Reading your first post, I remembered that this gal didn't do each individual curl like you'd think when you hear that (pick up a curl, cut, pick up another curl, cut). So I don't know if she just doesn't do it exactly that way -- but other deva stylists do -- or if what she did is more what that description means. It was definitely different from what I'm used to but not a curl-by-curl cut either.

She had a copy of the later edition of Curly Girls, which I enjoyed looking through while I was under the dryer. It has something like 5-6 different types of curly hair, rather than just the three in the first edition. It also talked more about the Deva products.

I love it! I may have to venture over to Port Orchard now... Could you pm me the stylist info? Your curl-level/type/texture is very much like mine. :001_smile:

:iagree:Omg! Very cute. Port Orchard is right down the road from me! Can I have the stylist info too? My hair is a little curlier than yours but I think I see how it might work.

I'm getting a deva cut tomorrow. <excited>

I've been doing curly girl stuff for almost a year now, and this weekend we're vacationing near where there's a Deva stylist so in I go for a dry cut. She's pretty inexpensive compared to all the Seattle area gals I queried, so I'm maintaining hope that once in awhile you get more than you pay for.

Woo Hoo! Have fun. Finding a Deva stylist changed my life. :001_smile:

How exciting!!!

Pink has curly hair but she's only 3 :lol: ... I would like to try to figure out some of the curly tips & tricks for her hair (and not pay a hefty price tag for a haircut for a 3 year old ;) ) so I'm looking at the book...

I might be considered swavy (or whatever it is :lol: ) but I'm not sure. Right now it's so short I don't think it would matter, anyway...

Quick question, not to hijack, but I was wondering: best shampoo/conditioner/routine for curly hair? I don't wash Pink's hair all that often, and I feel like I'm constantly putting conditioner or something on it to try and style it and contain the curls so they aren't frizzy. AND how do I make the hair that is on top of her head not flat to it? AND one last thing :lol: - what are the little clip things for, in the videos on the website? Are they just placed in there randomly or what?

OP, I SO want to see your hair when it's done! :D

The clips solve the drying-flat-to-the-head problem. You put the at the roots so the hair dries lifted, and curly all the way up. I could be a loosing battle with a preschooler. :glare: My mom coped with my hair by putting it into two Laura Ingalls braids until I was in 4th grade and could manage my hair on my own. Your library probably has a copy of Curly Girl. I'll bet you could even get a good price on one from amazon. The book even has some recipes for products. I have the original edition, so I'm not sure how the newer one is different.

:iagree:Omg! Very cute. Port Orchard is right down the road from me! Can I have the stylist info too? My hair is a little curlier than yours but I think I see how it might work.

Here's the salon info:

Salon Pettirosso

813 Bay Street

Port Orchard, WA 98366

phone: 360-731-0866

Owner/Stylist: Robin Scott

Beautiful, friend! (I always want to say your name!)

I would love the info, too. Pt. Orchard is not thaaaaat far, especially combined with other things that could be done that end of "town."

Are you at the beachhouse?

You can say my name ~ I'm not hiding from anyone! ;)

Yes, we're at the beach house again. We figured out the other day this is our 12th year here (over a 16 year period). I was pregnant with your (first) namesake the first time we came. Amazing. What are you doing tomorrow? You want to come by, yes?

I absolutely love your hair!!! It's so pretty.

I had my appointment today. I have wavy hair. Basically, we've decided that mine is a little short still for the type of hair I have. So, she helped me work with what I have for now and I'll grow it out. She said that because of the thinning my previous hairdresser did, the waves aren't doing quite what they should. But, they will! I feel really good about having a plan.

BUT. I took my dd with me. The stylist took one look at her hair and asked if she could do it. Of course, we said yes! Dd now has these gorgeous Bottichelli curls. Really, really long ringlets. She looks gorgeous!!! And, she is SO happy that she doesn't need to use a brush ever again!

Woo Hoo! Have fun. Finding a Deva stylist changed my life. :001_smile:

The clips solve the drying-flat-to-the-head problem. You put the at the roots so the hair dries lifted, and curly all the way up. I could be a loosing battle with a preschooler. :glare: My mom coped with my hair by putting it into two Laura Ingalls braids until I was in 4th grade and could manage my hair on my own. Your library probably has a copy of Curly Girl. I'll bet you could even get a good price on one from amazon. The book even has some recipes for products. I have the original edition, so I'm not sure how the newer one is different.

Thanks! I watched some of the videos and stuff on the website and am keeping an eye out for the book. :) I definitely want to get it.