Menu

How did drop-off go?

Gwen in VA

We dropped our ds2 of. His college is VERY small (24 freshmen) and extremely welcoming. We spent the day there helping ds unpack, meeting folks, eating yummy food, touring the campus, and attending welcome sessions.

We left, a bit nervous but pretty confident that this is the right place and the right educational path for our son.

Funny things --

1) There are supposedly only ten colleges in the country that still require a swim test for graduation. Our kids have found two of them -- both colleges that my kids have attended required a swim test during orientation! (The college that dh and I attended still requires one - we joke that our youngest needs to attend a college that still has a swim requirement!)

2) The LAC that my older kids attended is ~500 miles and several states from the engineering school ds2 is attending. The father of the donor of the major new very expensive art center at the LAC graduated from ds2's very small engineering school and was a major donor there! Funny coincidence!

3) The presidents of both colleges our kids have attended have given us their phone numbers and asked us to call with any concerns. Is this normal?

And I managed to not cry until we were away from the campus!

Now I am checking out the orientation pictures that the college is posting on facebook, looking for ds!

How did your freshman drop-off go?

Guest valipope

Dropped our dear daughter off at ORU in Tulsa last week. This is the beginning of her Sophomore year, so I've had a year to get used to the "empty nest." It was much easier to drop her off this year because I know she's in a safe, wonderful environment. It's a small school and the professor/student ratio for the most part affords personal attention on many levels.

Although we do not have the president's phone number, there are several ways we can contact someone with concerns.

ORU also has a required swimming proficiency for graduation. It's really quite simple requiring the candidate to jump or dive into deep water, swim a short distance, tread water for a short period of time, and return to the starting point. They also offer beginning swimming as a PE elective for those who do not know how to swim. Our daughter has been swimming since she was about 3 years old, so the test will not be a problem. She put off taking the test last year & plans to get that out of the way next week.

I was able to stay in a hotel across the street and come into the dorm for a couple of days to help her unpack and decorate. It was a great mommy/daughter experience & was not dampened (literally) by the tears I experienced last year!

Onward! Upward!!

Val in NC

Hasn't happened yet!:party: So glad I have one more week with dd. She spent the first part of her summer in Mobile Alabama at the Distinguished Young Women of America program, came home for 5 days, and flew out [by herself][long story] to Ethiopia to work in a medical clinic for 5 weeks. We are packing in lots of family time. I'm so grateful she is only 1 1/2 hours away.

I'll share a boo-hoo coffee with you all next Monday for sure!

Lisa

We moved ds2 into his dorm last Friday. Boy is it different around the house with no kids! It helps to know that ds was sooooo ready and sooooo happy. He likes his roommate a lot. That's a blessing. I guess having both my guys at a college that is very close to home helps take the edge off. Hugs to all of you who are sending off your precious babes.

Edited by Brigid in NC

1) There are supposedly only ten colleges in the country that still require a swim test for graduation.

Well, my daughter clearly found one of those colleges, too!

3) The presidents of both colleges our kids have attended have given us their phone numbers and asked us to call with any concerns. Is this normal?

I suspect it's not quite the norm and definitely not at a large state university.

I'm looking ahead to senior year drop off just before Labor Day. Wow, where does the time go?

Regards,

Kareni

T minus 9 days here. Most of the major shopping is done. We mostly have to pack his personal belongings including clothes. He is procrastinating like usual. I was especially undone this PMS cycle - a 40 minute cry in the shower - not crying about him leaving but the usual "my life is terrible" once a month cry. Emotion I am not dealing with is leaking out sideways.

This is my first post so you'll have to pardon me, I normally lurk but I had to reply when I saw where your son was going, as my husband and I are both alumni of that funny little ship school.

It's a great school. You really shouldn't worry to much about it. The classes become family. We are 6 years out from graduation here, and I live in the same neighborhood as 4 of my husbands 11 classmates, we see them daily, and he works with them, we're raising our kids together :). The president really means it when he says call him if needed, though you'd probably have more need to call the Dean or Student Affairs director then the president.

Good luck to him. It's not just a college, it will set him up for life with a career/contacts/great friends. Not to mention it's a fun ride for 4 years. (And the swim test really is needed!)

Edited by Btervet

Btervet -- it's so cool to hear from an alum! We have only met one -- the brother of my ds's youth pastor -- so I'm happy to "meet" another one.

My son was the first homeschooler ever accepted. :001_smile: (The president told us so!) And homeschooler #2 was accepted later in the acceptance cycle and decided to attend, so 8.33% of this year's freshman class was homeschooled!

Btervet -- it's so cool to hear from an alum! We have only met one -- the brother of my ds's youth pastor -- so I'm happy to "meet" another one.

My son was the first homeschooler ever accepted. :001_smile: (The president told us so!) And homeschooler #2 was accepted later in the acceptance cycle and decided to attend, so 8.33% of this year's freshman class was homeschooled!

Yea, there aren't many of us alumni around, but once you start meeting us, it'll seem like we pop up all over the place :)

He's not actually the *first* homeschooler, but probably the first Olsen has admitted. There was one in my class as well. But I only know of him so far! Good luck to your son!

The drop off went well. I was so impressed with the college. The school is big on volunteering, and they had the sports teams taking up the kids stuff to the room. We dropped everything at the curb, and it was labeled and carried up. It was great!

My dd's roommate seemed very nice. Her family seemed sweet and supportive. I think they will get along well.

I was nervous yesterday before dropping her off, but then fine. Today I feel drained. I feel tired and sad and overwhelmed all at once. I even had a hard time running this morning. At one point I thought I would stop, sit on one of the park benches and just cry. :tongue_smilie: But I made it home and tried to distract myself with cleaning and laundry.

I still have 4 more at home, but it still feels weird.

I was especially undone this PMS cycle - a 40 minute cry in the shower - not crying about him leaving but the usual "my life is terrible" once a month cry. Emotion I am not dealing with is leaking out sideways.

So I'm not the only one who every month has a "my life is terrible cry"?!

I also love the line, ...leaking out sideways.

:grouphug:

Our dd moved to college on Thursday. The worst part was driving away. Her boyfriend was riding with us and he was crying most of the way home. Poor guy, he was really embarrassed by it. Dd called Friday because she went to the computer center to get software installed, and they told her the computer isn't a program computer and so she'd have to pay for the software. I ended up on the phone with the director of the computer center to get it straightened out. She told me if dd has any more problems, dd should ask for her and she'll take of dd. I thought that was pretty good service for a state u!

I need to update my signature now!

Dropped off my college sophomore on Saturday. He is in off campus housing - 1 of 4 fellas in the apartment. He had no prior affiliation with any of them - the rental company just plugs people into rooms :)

Not feeling too confident with the current roommates, but we had to sign a 10 month lease so ds will just have to figure out how to deal with things. DS had a vision of roommates who would have movie nights together, play Axis and Allies together (he took all his board games with him), basically for a friendship network for him. I can't see that happening with these roommates. Unfortunately this ds isn't outgoing - he is pleasant and will always participate, but he isn't a front man type. So this will definitely stretch him this year as he works to make his own friends. Last year his brother was at the same school and ds often joined his older brother and his friends. He had friends in the dorms, but they all became RAs (my ds's idea of the worst job ever) so he couldn't room with them this year. He needs to make the effort to reconnect with those old friends and he finds that difficult.

Let's just say that it is still heart wrenching seeing your adult child going through emotional turmoil. But I know that I can't fix it and he will grow tremendously through this if he responds to the situation correctly. He sounded much better this morning when I called him (had to discuss parking permits, meal plans) so maybe he is stepping up to the plate. Next year he will be at a school where we have NO connections and is far enough away that he won't be coming home on weekends. I'm looking at this year as a training year for next year.

We dropped DD18 off at the airport at 1am Sunday. 7 hours flying later, she arrived at her destination. TSA had dissasembled her carefully packed suitcase and sprayed everything purple, so she had a fun time getting everything put back together while juggling instrument cases.

But help always seems to turn up when she needs it. The folks at the airport were super helpful and helped her find her ride to the school with all her gear. Once she got to the dorm, the music fraternity was helping them all get moved into their rooms (everyone is there early for marching band camp). She had ordered bedding and stuff like a printer from Amazon (free shipping!), so all her boxes were waiting for her. She said it was like Christmas!

She skyped us that night to show us her (tiny) dorm room and tell us how she had gotten a tour of campus from some of the marching band folks.

So, we've successfully launched kid #2. More complicated than kid #1 (who just took a backpack and his toothbrush!), but a successful departure none the less. It's much quieter here - DD18 was always the noisy one.

My two college kids are moving in and out. The college "super senior" dd is taking six more credits at the U, and 3 at a good CC to save money, and, really to branch out a little and handle a new situation on her own. We figured it out one time and she'd have to have taken 18 credits for two semesters and 15 for a the rest to complete her double major. She still could not get all the required courses when she needed them due to cutbacks. Oh, well. A part-time year, maybe she can get something done besides education in classrooms. She'll live at home, which is making me happy, happy, happy. I feel like I have a second chance to work on some of those things I meant to teach her but never did: sewing, embroidery, smocking, baking bread, changing the oil in the car, investing.

The boy is a bit over an hour away, so, while I am dreading him leaving, its not so bad. Classes start Thursday and he's not packing yet. He never unpacked, had to keep an apt (full year lease) and only subleased it a short time, making a deal to leave most of his stuff in the apt so, I'm just laughing...he may spend the night here, and go to first class on Thursday and stay that night. Junior year, so he'll figure it out. The funny part: he's had all summer to shop for a car, and we gave him a smallish budget to work with, and he just ditzed along. Woo, I'd have been shopping all day every day if my parents had given me money for a car.....so now he has no car. His sister DID shop and has got a 99% sure purchase, so he'll get the 2000 Sienna minivan that his sister had been driving, to take to school. He's not pleased, when I hum and call him the "mini-van man". But, he could have bought something and worked all summer on fixing it up, with his dad. Ha, I remind him its better than bumming rides to work. He's like a person moving thru pudding....young adult children are way more frustrating than little ones, or middling ones ever were. These adult kids are killing me. SO, having school start again, and one out the door, one busy-busy again and gone most of the time, well, I'm not crying, yet. More, I"m wishing we'd had more dinners all together this summer. Watched more movies together. Gotten on the bikes more often. Their brother is sad to see them go back to school, but maybe because his work will start, ha.

We dropped off our transfer student last week. He didn't know any of the three guys he's sharing an apartment with until move-in weekend. It may be an interesting semester; two don't speak much English. However, everyone seems to be quiet and keep the common areas fairly clean.

Classes started on Tuesday. His state scholarship finally made it through the pipeline and was credited to his account. (The CC had to sign off on the transfer of eligibility and the paperwork couldn't be sent until summer grades were posted.)

The staff in the dining hall have been helpful with accommodating food allergies. That was one of the biggest questions we had, but so far he's had no problems.

We dropped our oldest off for her Junior year yesterday! It's her first time at a 4-year university and her first time living away from home.

The drop off went very well -- except she overpacked! We've never done college move-in day before and now I have some good ideas for how to pack more efficiently! LOL

Her dorm was completely renovated over the past year so there were still painters all over the building during move-in (crazy!!) and the kitchen & lounge areas haven't been installed yet (they should be within the next few weeks).

Our youngest cried several times during the trip home -- she has special needs and is just coming to grips with the idea that she won't see her Sissy every day. :( My oldest did the sweetest thing for her! Before she left, she recorded herself reading our youngest daughter's favorite books, so she will be able to watch it whenever she is missing her Sissy!

Her roommate arrives today (they've chatted over Facebook but haven't met yet) and the school has a ton of activities for Welcome Week. Her classes start Monday and she is already meeting people and having a blast.

I was proud of myself -- I didn't cry until I came home and walked into the house :crying: -- and then only for a little while. It feels SOOO weird not having her home! But I'm happy for her and that helps a great deal.

41 days until we get to see her at Family Weekend! :lol:

Edited by hsmamainva

We brought him last Sunday and he went on a 3 day long rock-climbing trip. It was a great way for my guy, who is a bit quiet and loves outdoorsy stuff, to start freshman year. We visited local family while he was away, then spent 2 more days on and off campus. We met both roommates, both seem OK-one will be an acquaintance, the other, a close friend, I predict. He brought books. The other one brought golf clubs but no books-LOL.

The school seems VERY supportive of its students. They met with us and there is every imaginable support in place, and source of help, for a student who is struggling.

For my ds, who is entering college a year after most of his friends, because he was an exchange student between junior and senior year, it is wonderful-he has had a lonely senior year and is going to be in his element. You may recall my earlier postings about him ending up at his safety. He had one moment this past week when he sullenly pointed out that he hadn't chosen this school, but otherwise seems very happy there. We think it will be a great place for him. And he DID choose it, just not in the usual way, but his father and I refrained from pointing that out-LOL.

For us, this honestly felt a tiny bit sad, but only a tiny bit. Partly because I have so much confidence that he will thrive. Partly because it was far easier than saying good bye for ten months, when he left for Germany 2 years ago. At college, we can text, talk, email, we are in the same time zone and only 6 hours drive apart. It's simple to send care packages, and most importantly, there are resources in place to help him for any kind of difficulty. Exchange programs are so much a "fly by the seat of the pants" situation-troubleshooting is not always simple or even possible. So this was a breeze for us.

Out drop off went well - I only lost it once at the final good-bye.

Kiddo is incredibly happy at U Rochester and the school seems to be totally the right one for him. There is so much student support and so many opportunities for the academic research lover. I can see why they have a 96% retention rate.

He likes his roommate - though is still sad about losing Emmanuel. He's eagerly looking forward to classes, chess, the Christian Fellowship group, work study, and finding a new club or two.

We're headed back home today.

I will say one thing... after being in a high academic area, it's incredibly tough for ME mentally to return to my sub-par high school. I guess that's why I need the Hive even though I'm no longer high schooling. I'm also glad I FOUND the Hive when I did!

We had a wonderful time at drop off! Am I weird for saying that and confessing that I didn't cry?

My son's college does a great dorm move in. All our cars were welcomed by cheering students, the school mascots and bagpipe band. Even the president of the college chatted with us while we waited for the line of cars to inch along. There was free food, ice cream and cold drinks and best of all, when we arrived in front of the dorm, a small swarm of student athletes and volunteers surrounded our car to carry EVERYTHING to the room!! He was moved in and unpacked in less than an hour!

My son's roommate seems a perfect match -- tall, skinny, mathy and also 17. Before move in night was over they had made friends with some other guys in the dorm and were playing board games. Their little posse stayed together during all the official activities the next day, leaving my dh and I free to run back to Walmart for a couple of items, and to go out for lunch and such. (We skipped the "how to let go" presentations for parents.) Our final farewells were light and happy.

The empty house is strange, but his college feels simply perfect for him. He is at a stage where he needs more, and is ready for more both academically and socially, so I'm really happy for him. The only question is how good he is going to be about keeping in touch with us, because his older brother has spoiled us with frequent texts, regular phone calls and skype sessions.

Drop-off and send-off have occurred here for my two older dc. Dd was first: the kids and I all went with dd to move her in. She's in a scholarship house and seems very happy. All of the students we met seemed pretty serious about school. She packed suprisingly light! Only 3 pairs of shoes?? She'll never make it through the semester! She'll definitely need some care packages to supplement. :)

Ds worked one additional week, squeezing in every earning day he could! He's starting his junior-and-a-half year and going back to the same scholarship house (different school from dd). He drove himself back to campus this year, a change from the prior two years. I missed moving him in, taking him on a Target shopping trip, eating out one last time, meeting his new roommate. But, we'll get to see him a lot this semester as he comes back to pursue his serious relationship!

And then I turned my attention to getting ds2, a rising senior, into the dual-enrolled classes he needs. That was almost more work than getting dd and ds1 prepped and sent off! He ended up getting every class he needed, with the profs he wanted, at the times he wanted. Thank you Lord!

Looking forward to settling into a good rhythm and routine this week as I start my 14th year of home educating with my younger 5.

Lisa

My FIRST to leave home. I dropped my DD off at Virginia Tech this week. WOW! It was so incredibly hard! I believe it is such a shock to the mom. I mean, we have some kind of planning, talking, classes for everything except dropping your first child off at college! There needs to be a support group or something to help you get thru this...:lol:

I managed not to cry until I left the room, and about the first hour while my DH drove us home for the 5.5 hour drive home.

Va Tech campus is huge, so many kids looking like they were 12 years old.

Also the trip to Walmart and Target to get things... shelves empty. Blacksburg Va must love this week. :D

I agree with previous poster. My DD pack not near enough clothing. No fall/winter things at all, and I remember being told that it can snow in OCT. Yup. will need to send winter clothing and coat.

I enjoyed reading the postings here. It is encouraging for me to know that i am not alone. :grouphug:

Amy

My FIRST to leave home. I dropped my DD off at Virginia Tech this week. WOW! It was so incredibly hard! I believe it is such a shock to the mom. I mean, we have some kind of planning, talking, classes for everything except dropping your first child off at college! There needs to be a support group or something to help you get thru this...:lol:

I managed not to cry until I left the room, and about the first hour while my DH drove us home for the 5.5 hour drive home.

Also the trip to Walmart and Target to get things... shelves empty. Blacksburg Va must love this week. :D

I agree with previous poster. My DD pack not near enough clothing. No fall/winter things at all, and I remember being told that it can snow in OCT. Yup. will need to send winter clothing and coat.

I enjoyed reading the postings here. It is encouraging for me to know that i am not alone. :grouphug:

Amy

You're not alone!

My dd is at Radford and we are also a good 4 1/2 hours away from her.

We're planning on bringing some winter things (coat, hat, gloves) to family weekend, which is the 1st weekend in October at RU. Does Tech have one planned?

But our daughter has hit it off with her roommate, who was at RU last semester, so she knows her way around campus and has already included our daughter in her circle of friends.

:grouphug: Hang in there, Mama.

Drop-off went much better than last year.

This year she is in a private apartment on campus and has a car. Last year she was in the dorm with two other roommates and didn't have any transportation.

She was horribly homesick and wanted to give it up and come back home the very same evening I moved her into the dorm last year. She ended up withdrawing from spring semester and stayed home.

She seems fine this year. She's in a much better situation, especially because she has no roommates. She also knows that she can drive home any weekend she wants to (4-hour drive if traffic is good, but took me almost 5 hours to get home today).

Amy

I remember my mom dropping me off at Virginia Tech far too many moons ago. I loved it. She was trying (unsuccessfully) to stifle her tears. I didn't understand it at all then as I was so happy and excited. Now I know and I've carried on the family "tradition" twice now (with once to go). :grouphug:

There needs to be a support group or something to help you get thru this...

After I dropped my first off at college and lived in a puddle of tears for several weeks, I said that people always talk about the Terrible Two's and the challenge of parenting teens, but no one talks about how hard it is to see them spread their wings and leave.

:crying:

:grouphug:

Just got home from dropping off ds. We had a weekend orientation that was great. The parent seminars were excellent - helped us understand how the students will have to navigate various issues of living independently from us - so we can feel confident about letting our babies go. Ds' roommate is a near perfect match. They are both shy, quiet kids who need their space and both love scifi. This morning, as we took ds to Mass, he seemed out of sorts. We figured out that he was "peopled out" so we let him veg before lunch. We took a couple more pictures and said our goodbyes a little earlier than we had planned, but I could sense that he was ready and wanted to get it over with. We missed the opening convocation because we had to get back home to start this process all over again. We are taking ds16 to a "Colleges that Change Lives" fair this evening.

Only a few tears so far (none in public) and I have resisted the urge to send him about 30 texts.

Drop off went well right up until the last night with my oldest. He attended a local cc and lived at home for two years and then went on a two year mission so I thought I was over it but that last night it dawned on me that for the first time in his life my baby had no one living with him (he secured a place without a roomie) and I lost it. He loves being at Ole Miss. He is use to be there as it is his dad alma mater but I am still being such a mom. We get to go back down in October for his birthday but that is sooooo long from now. ;)

Oh my gosh...Reading these is making me even more nervous. We're not dropping my daughter off until Wednesday and I just can't wait for it to be over.

I've been through drop offs with all of my girlfriends and I'm already emotionally spent. LOL! This too shall pass, this too shall pass...Oh, I'm so glad that my next oldest dd is only starting the seventh grade! Any tips veterans?

In Oberlin now. :001_smile: Spent a fabulous day at info sessions, resource fairs, concerts. Oh my! The talented musicians send shivers down my spine and make me all teary eyed! It is definitely the right fit for ds. He is spending his first night in the dorm, while I am at a hotel with ds13. Tomorrow is another day filled with special events.

I want to go back to college...

We went to DC and put dd on the plane for fall semester today. Only instead of sending her back to her school, she's off to a semester abroad in Rome at a Classics center.

I usually take send-offs in stride, but I was a big cry-baby at the airport today. Something about having her on the other side of the ocean is just so different. We'll miss her 21st birthday, which even coincides with Thanksgiving day this year, while she's gone.

My husband took me to Sweet Frog for dinner (build your own frozen yogurt place). It usually cures anything. Oh well! When did she get to be so independent and grown up? sniff...

We went to DC and put dd on the plane for fall semester today. Only instead of sending her back to her school, she's off to a semester abroad in Rome at a Classics center.

I usually take send-offs in stride, but I was a big cry-baby at the airport today. Something about having her on the other side of the ocean is just so different. We'll miss her 21st birthday, which even coincides with Thanksgiving day this year, while she's gone.

My husband took me to Sweet Frog for dinner (build your own frozen yogurt place). It usually cures anything. Oh well! When did she get to be so independent and grown up? sniff...

:grouphug: This whole process of getting older is so rewarding and mentally challenging all at the same time. Congratulations on a job well done, but at the same time, :grouphug:

We have two going to a big school about an hour from home... We moved one in on Friday, the other on Saturday, and then today we brought a small fridge from home, and attended matriculation ceremony.

I think having them local makes it easier... We did not have to pack for 3 months... and could be leisurely...

I am greatly encouraged by the opportunities that lay ahead... I am sad they will not be with us... but it's different... now with skype and email and cell phones.. they/we can be in touch at will... which is good and bad... good for staying connected, bad for learning how to separate... so it's a learning experience..

One thing absent that I really liked was the absence of stereos blaring in the hallway... something I remember from college and dreaded.. there is more silence which surprised me.. Also, (I went to school in the 70s) the dorm food was unbelievable... I mean they have healthy choices... it's not just burgers, pizza, sugar, and fried foods.. My son is actually learning to eat salads... something he would not do at home...

I have 2 going.. My daughter got a fantastic living situation in a brownstone, big room sharing with a quiet but sweet student originally from Taiwan... She has a big window and a nice room.. She's on a tree lined street in a big city.. I mean it's gorgeous..

Son is in one of those high rise dorms.. cell block #9... cramped hot... but has a good roommate... not ideal living conditions.. but so far so good.. he's my more sensitive one... and each day seems to get better.. for him the longer he is there.. The roommate thing is crucial, and so we're of the "if it works don't fix it" school.

There's a strong faith community both on and off campus in the town they are attending college.. This has made things go smoother... and they are both very connected to the programs they are enrolled in..

So it's a transition but a good one... I am happy that I can report a positive experience so far...

Thanks for posting this topic.

ame

:grouphug: to you Kathy. I'll be thinking of you...

I guess we had another drop-off, though we weren't able to go. Dd's carrier headed out to sea yesterday. She reports the fly-out was very cool and she's only gotten a little bit lost onboard.

Wow. Sounds like quite an experience!

So it's a transition but a good one... I am happy that I can report a positive experience so far...

Thanks for posting this topic.

ame

Glad all is well with both of them. My heart aches with only one gone. It will be very difficult in three years when my second will be away too.

:grouphug: to all parents who feel an emptiness in their hearts.

Sigh. I hate this time of year. We bought a one-way ticket to Los Angeles for oldest (recent graduate) so he can ship out in the Pacific. That isn't even our ocean... The middle one had to get himself to college. We'll go visit him tomorrow and make sure he has settled in ok. And youngest is taking almost all CC classes this year, his last year of high school. At least he is living at home, but he spent the summer away (they all did - for awhile we had one in Switzerland, one in Venezuela, one on a ship, we were in Germany, and one foster in the Pacific somewhere. Only one foster was home.), and I haven't gotten used to not-missing him yet, if that makes sense. This is the first week back from vacation and you wouldn't believe the things that have gone wrong - everything from losing jobs to foot long rips in pants on the way to work to forgetting to retrieve nephews from kindergarten. The year is off to a rocky start. And I am sick with longing for the kids, all three.

Sigh. I hate this time of year. We bought a one-way ticket to Los Angeles for oldest (recent graduate) so he can ship out in the Pacific. That isn't even our ocean... The middle one had to get himself to college. We'll go visit him tomorrow and make sure he has settled in ok. And youngest is taking almost all CC classes this year, his last year of high school. At least he is living at home, but he spent the summer away (they all did - for awhile we had one in Switzerland, one in Venezuela, one on a ship, we were in Germany, and one foster in the Pacific somewhere. Only one foster was home.), and I haven't gotten used to not-missing him yet, if that makes sense. This is the first week back from vacation and you wouldn't believe the things that have gone wrong - everything from losing jobs to foot long rips in pants on the way to work to forgetting to retrieve nephews from kindergarten. The year is off to a rocky start. And I am sick with longing for the kids, all three.

Glad to see you back Nan, but sad to hear that things are off to a rocky start. Should we confess to our fellow boardies that we spend hours together in July sorting out the world? (Looks like I am doing just that. ;))

July? We had a July in 2012? I think I missed it...

I still long for the days my guys were middle and high schoolers. We had great times together (younger too, but I really enjoyed when they were old enough to really discuss things). I don't regret a thing we chose to do with them rather than buying something or whatever. The memories now are priceless - from board games to travels and everything in between.