Menu

How did drop-off go?

Gwen in VA

Yup - We over the noise of the science museum we managed to cover a LOT of ground. It was lovely.

Jane - I am not quite as miserable as I was at this time last year, despite the rocky start. It is a huge relief to know that youngest can manage cc math and science classes and that oldest has graduated (both unknowns last year) and for some reason, I'm a little more resigned to being home than usual. I spent yesterday with middle one and have plans to visit again next month. It was so good to see him! You would have approved. Despite his worries about getting into trouble with passing officials, I made him climb up on a workbench in the woodshop with a Dunkin Donuts cup and rescue two monachs and a gorgeous big dragonfly who were beating themselves against a high unopenning window. He was successful. They were cooperative and still in good shape.

Hugs to all the sad ones,

Nan

I took my youngest out to CA via plane on Sunday. We flew into Santa Barbara, rented a car and drove up to San Luis Obispo to CalPoly (my daughter's dream school). We stayed south of SLO in another town that had more shopping....We finished our lists quickly and got a few hours in at this wonderful beach with huge dunes and fab. walking. I moved her in the following day and then cried all the way back to Santa Barbara.

She is my 2nd and my only homeschooler. We had gotten very close in the last 2 years what with hsing, a house fire, the college search, and then my hiatus of 2 months this summer with a v. serious round of a pneumonia-like illness. I will miss her company v. much. My oldest is a sr. and spent the summer at her LAC outside NYC doing paid and unpaid summer work in art history. We just saw her for 2 weeks this summer. That seems barely time to talk, etc.

I do want to thank all of the high school and college board wtm forum members for all the advice and guidance you've given me over these last 2.5 years. I could not have put together my curricula or indeed have known how to teach without all of you. I particularly needed help in choosing math and science books and in figuring out how to conduct such classes at home. It was so much easier with the forums to provide me with loads of possibilities.

So, farewell. I may lurk and occasionally comment but, my thrice daily forum visiting days are over. Love to all of you and best of luck in the future. :grouphug:

Congratulations, Memphis and best wished for getting through the "withdrawal" phase (I'm not sure I'm through it yet).

I agree that the boards somehow are different when one is no longer contemplating curricula or looking for other types of advice. It kind of feels like we're a bit out of the loop once we've "retired" from homeschooling... NO ONE makes me feel that way - it's the circumstances. I still lurk and occasionally offer advice (though more of it is college based now rather than homeschooling specific), but it's just "different."

I wonder how many other retirees like us stick around lurking...

I do really enjoy reading about the various successes our homeschoolers are having out there. Our kids are our future.

I know all about the cried-all-the-way-home part. I've done that a number of time. Ug.

Hugs, Memphispeg! And best of luck to you and your family. Definately come back and update us from time to time.

Creekland - I suppose I am more or less retired now, too, with my last senior taking mostly cc classes this year. If things go as planned (famous last words), I won't have any more curriculum questions, since his history is just a continuation of what we have been doing all through high school and I am leaving any French entirely to him. I am very grateful for the college board, though, because I am about to go through the application process this fall, this time in a more normal way. The older two's applications were complicated by having to have lots of extra stuff done, but most of it had nothing to do with homeschooling so we could just follow the directions; the school part of the applications were simple enough, even as homeschoolers. Youngest's application is going to be more complicated and I'm nervous about it. His first choice school has experience with homeschoolers and seems to be happy to guide us through the process of applying. The others are not going to be so fun. I'm still going to need the board and I hope you will be here to help me through the process!

Nan

I am very grateful for these boards too. I learned a ton from those who had been there, done that and I'm thankful there were those who blazed the way before us into colleges.

Since I'm still expecting my youngest to go to college, I'll be sticking around gleaning info about some colleges as things are mentioned on here - perhaps even asking a question or two myself as he zeros in on those he likes.

• 2 weeks later...

Since UC Santa Cruz is on the quarter system, school starts pretty late (classes begin Thursday, Sept. 27). Half of the first-years moved in Friday the 21st of September, and the other half on Saturday.

OK, it wasn't *my* child, but my older son's best friend, whose widowed mother lives in Central America and couldn't come, so we had the privilege of taking him to UCSC. Man ... I'm starting to understand the mixed bag of emotions -- we all miss this boy a lot, but are excited that he's exactly where he should be.

Anyway, just wanted to share, even though it's our "adopted" son. Sad he's gone -- there's an emptiness -- but SOOOO excited for him. He's worked hard to get where he is and CANNOT believe how wonderful the whole experience is. He just texted me that he is more motivated than ever to study hard so he can keep his (very generous) scholarships & stay at UCSC :001_smile:. It's good for my sons to see how cool going to college will be; *I'm* glad I have 11 months to prepare for my first-born leaving the nest :sad:

Edited by Laura in CA

She will be studying there this year, and then hopes to get into a music school there next year. She was very excited. She had a quick layover in Iceland (where she was able to send a few texts), and is in London now for a week on her own before school orientation next Saturday.

Just a few tears. I feel it's exactly where she should be right now, so mostly I'm just really happy and excited for her. Her little sister (just a year behind) will really miss her though. She had her head on her shoulder the whole 2.5 hour trip to the airport. Fortunately she has other siblings home now to keep her company. :)