Menu

What does it mean to "join" a church?

Was just reading Halycon's thread...

I'm Episcopalian for a while yet. I've always been--was baptised and confirmed in that denom.

I know joining a church means different things, at least I think so.

IME, it's when you transfer your membership from your old Epis church to your new one. There's no "requirement," if you are already in the denomination. If you aren't Episcopalian, you can be received, which means the Bishop blesses you and "accepts" you into the Epis "branch," kind of. It sort of covers all the bases--we acknowledge baptism done by other Christian denominations. Usually there's a class involved that covers Episcopalian "culture" and belief (tho saying there's Episcopalian belief is stretching it a bit, 'cause there's a ton of variety under that roof...).

But some in other denominations take it to mean, professing Christianity--joining the church is joining the Church. Or, submitting to a set of beliefs, like a statement of faith.

Anyway, what does it mean to you?

Hmm, IDK. We began attending an Episcopal Church in January 2009. We became members in February 2009. We were baptized on Easter Sunday 2009. We were confirmed in September 2009. I don't know which of those would be considered us "joining" the church, though I thought of it as when we became members.

ETA: Since we were not Christian, we didn't have to "transfer" membership and we were baptized since we had not been previously.

Edited by kebg11

In the Baptist churches I've been a part of it's meant different things. The church I grew up in it was more of a formality. If you came from a 'sister' church there would be a letter exchange stating you were a member in good standing. Some there is a class you have to attend, one you had to sign a statement of faith.

It really depends on the denomination.

My experience is with the United Church of Christ, the Unitarian Universalist Association, and the LDS church.

In a UU church, joining is joining the congregation, and the ceremony is usually as simple as signing the membership book.

In a UUC church, joining is joining the congregation. There is a membership ceremony. If you haven't been baptized or confirmed already, you would need to do that before/as part of becoming a member.

In both of those denominations, being a member means you get to vote in the congregational annual meeting and be an officer. You can do pretty much anything else without being a member.

The LDS church definitely views joining the church as joining the Church. They don't recognize non-LDS baptisms (even from other churches that originated with Joseph Smith). The focus is on joining the LDS church. The local congregation is secondary. When you move, your official records are automatically transferred to the new local congregation, as determined by your address. Once your records are "read in" during Sunday services, you can hold volunteer positions in the new congregation.

Hmmm.. Something I've never really thought of at a personal level before. Since I'm a cradle Catholic I've spent the vast majority of my life (baptized at 2 years old) as a member of the Church. When I leave one parish and move to another parish I just go in to the church office and leave my family's name and new address so we get the mailings.

People converting and joining the Church have a program of study (RCIA) that lasts about a year. They are generally brought into the church the week of Easter.

Hmm, IDK. We began attending an Episcopal Church in January 2009. We became members in February 2009. We were baptized on Easter Sunday 2009. We were confirmed in September 2009. I don't know which of those would be considered us "joining" the church, though I thought of it as when we became members.

ETA: Since we were not Christian, we didn't have to "transfer" membership and we were baptized since we had not been previously.

This gave me chills! Thanks for sharing.

Chris - obviously, we are the same as you!

Joining *the* church happens when you believe. In my area of the nondenominational Protestant world, joining our particular church does involve affirmation of a statement of core belief (very core--mere Christianity as Lewis would call it) and taking a membership class. It's a commitment that a person makes to the church. (What that commitment means is spelled out in the membership classes. It involves basic church commitment stuff--nothing fancy.) They then can vote on church officers, budget, etc. You can do pretty much anything else but vote or hold office without becoming a full member.

We're OPC.

For us it means we take vows.

(1) Do you believe the Bible, consisting of the Old and New Testaments, to be the Word of God, and its doctrine of salvation to be the perfect and only true doctrine of salvation?

(2) Do you believe in one living and true God, in whom eternally there are three distinct persons—God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit—who are the same in being and equal in power and glory, and that Jesus Christ is God the Son, come in the flesh?

(3) Do you confess that because of your sinfulness you abhor and humble yourself before God, that you repent of your sin, and that you trust for salvation not in yourself but in Jesus Christ alone?

(4) Do you acknowledge Jesus Christ as your sovereign Lord, and do you promise that, in reliance on the grace of God, you will serve him with all that is in you, forsake the world, resist the devil, put to death your sinful deeds and desires, and lead a godly life?

(5) Do you promise to participate faithfully in this church's worship and service, to submit in the Lord to its government, and to heed its discipline, even in case you should be found delinquent in doctrine or life?

We put ourselves under the authority of the session which has the responsibility of church discipline (which is an educational endeavor, not primarily a punitive one).

It means I get envelopes. ;)

:iagree:

Also, I distinguish between joining the "Church" and joining the "parish". I joined the Church when I was baptized. When I have moved I have joined different parishes, but no matter what I'm a member of the "Church."

As a Catholic, when you've joined one church, you've joined them all. :D Anything after that is just filling out the registration form.

To clarify for non-Catholics :001_smile: you go in and fill out the registration form for your parish, so they'll know you're there, right? Non-Catholic churches don't have parishes, so this may be a totally new concept for some. :)

I'm a Unitarian-Universalist. Joining the church means "signing the book" - literally writing your name in a book that contains the list of members. Sometimes there's a nice little ceremony for this, but the ceremony is unnecessary. Some churches require a pledge of financial support for membership, even if just a token amount like $1.

You join a particular local congregation, and then have the right to vote on congregational matters such as approving a budget or calling a new minister. In my church you can join or even chair a committee without being an official member, but you can't serve on the Board.

Once you have joined a UU church, your church is responsible for paying a certain amount of money to the district and the Unitarian-Universalist Association on your behalf. That pays for district-wide or national programs.

To clarify for non-Catholics :001_smile: you go in and fill out the registration form for your parish, so they'll know you're there, right? Non-Catholic churches don't have parishes, so this may be a totally new concept for some. :)

Yeah, with registering that's all it is. Parish is just a different name for church really, like a church congregation that meets in a particular building. Technically I'm still a member of my old church in WV because I'm lazy and haven't chosen a particular parish to attend regularly here, I just hop around based on service times for now because of my DH's crazy work schedule :)

I think of joining a Church as joining a denomination either for the first time ever, as a reversion, or as a conversion from a different Church.

With that, my DH's church (ELCA Lutheran) does a few hours "new members" class for non-Lutherans or reverted former Lutherans. Then the people join the church in a simple worship service. If they were not baptized, communed, or confirmed previously then they would make their sacraments of baptism and first communion and would be considered confirmed members if they are adults. If it was a family then the parents might be baptized and do first communion and be considered confirmed but the little kids might just be baptized. The Lutheran church recognizes other churches' baptisms and such so there is only a baptism done if it hasn't been done before. First communion in these instances is no big deal, they just go up for communion for the first time.

In the Catholic Church if an adult is joining the Church there is RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation) which is an inquiry class and then a preparation for receiving the sacraments. Baptism is only done if it's not been done before, the RC Church recognizes other churches baptisms generally (as long as it was done with water and in the name of the trinity). First Communion, First Reconciliation, and Confirmation are done all at once pretty much. For children, they're considered members of the Church when they're baptized in the church.

I think there are a few other Christian churches that have parishes. Anglicans?

We have joined both Presbyterian Churches (of two denominations) and Methodist churches over the years. Basically, we take a short class and then meet with the elders (Presbyterian) or the Parish council (Methodist) and answer some basic questions that are very much like the ones a PP had on the OPC. Then at a later point, we would do the same questions in front of the congregation.

Other ways people become members is through confirmation or becoming communicants (different churches, similar process).Those are for teens or older elementary school aged children and their classes are much more thorough than the adult classes. I would think that an adult who didn't come from a Christian background would probably need more than the usual short classes we attended.

We never had to be re-baptized since all the churches we have ever belonged to accepted our original baptism in the Catholic church. Our children were all baptized in Methodist or Presbyterian churches.

I have been Baptist, AG, Free Methodist and non-denominational in three different independent churches, and all seem to have the same process. If one wants to become a member, you must first be a confessing Christian believer. The joining simply means that you want to make a commitment to become a part of the church fellowship by praying for and encouraging people within the body, tithing and taking part in the life of the church. A class is usually required that teaches the history, polity and central beliefs of the church. If you complete the class and are in agreement, you are then welcomed in as a member. There is usually some sort of formal welcome on a Sunday morning where you stand up in front with the pastor and people either come by to shake your hand (right hand of fellowship) or you are prayed over by elders and members. Your name is on a list at that point, and you are eligible to take part in voting whenever a matter of business comes up (usually just once per year).

I find membership to be very meaningful in that I'm acknowledging that I've been directed to that place by the Holy Spirit and am making a commitment to live out my faith with those in the congregation, be accountable to each other and share in the work of the church. Someone likened it awhile back as being the difference between being a member of a crew on a ship vs. simply being on a cruise.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Episcopalian churches are often called parishes but I'm not sure that 100% of them are (most of the ones I'm familiar with are Anglo-Catholic so they're more similar to RCC in general).

Eastern Orthodox churches are also called parishes I believe.

Episcopalian churches are often called parishes but I'm not sure that 100% of them are (most of the ones I'm familiar with are Anglo-Catholic so they're more similar to RCC in general).

Episcopalian and we call ours a parish.

Yes, this is correct.

As for membership, we used to become members wherever we went (we moved and changed churches a lot; or just decided to switch without having moved), and honestly it became a bit annoying after awhile to kinda feel like we had to do this. I don't see the biblical or historical basis for church membership (as a separate decision), but that's just my own pet peeve :D.

In the Orthodox church, if you're baptized you're a member. It's not a separate decision/action. You join The Church, not necessarily a parish (although you can of course be committed to and active in a parish).

It completely depends.

I grew up Baptist, but didn't "join" the church. We went to a Methodist church as teens. I did their classes and got baptized as a teen. Later, I joined a Baptist church. I don't know that I really understood why I needed to be baptized there also, but I was. We visited a few churches (various denominations) when we moved and transferred our membership to another baptist church eventually. Nothing was needed other than to give the information of the previous church.

Becoming one of Jehovah's Witnesses is MUCH different. In order to accept, one must learn what the Bible says about God, Jesus, God's kingdom, etc. You study privately, go to meetings, decide whether it is what you want. If you believe, you then show you understand (so CAN believe) via some guided discussions with the elders. Then you are baptized. The process can take a couple months to a few years, depending on the person and their circumstances. You do have to understand, believe, and be living in basic accordance (no "gross" sin like living with a non-marriage partner, doing drugs, etc).

Some think our process is strange, but I'm not sure why someone would *want* to officially join a group without learning what they believe, understanding and agreeing, etc. At the same time, people who choose to associate without officially joining (usually people just checking us out or who are in the process) are welcomed warmly, welcome to join us in worship, etc. Many people do so it for awhile.

Sorry to ramble. Ours is different so I wanted to explain a little.

ETA: Oh, and the process is the same whether you are 8 or 80. A person is responsible for a personal relationship with God.

Edited by 2J5M9K

Joining a particular parish, to me as EO, means saying that that's the place you'll participate in the sacraments, such as Communion, and Confession. It also means stewardship-- you are going to support that parish's life with your gifts, talents (such as teaching Sunday school, or choir, or parish council) and also financially. It is a commitment to having a personal relationship with the people in the community and the priest (unless the parish is extremely large, when you can't know everyone).

The priest at your parish can vouch for you and sign a paper saying you are an EO if you are called on to be a witness at a wedding (like best man/maid of honor) or a godparent, if you are doing that in another parish where they don't know you, which are serious responsibilities.

HTH

I've always thought of church membership as an official commitment... you're not dating anymore, you're married. ;)

We're about to do it for the second time as adults. The first time, it was a class, a profession of faith and that you will support the church (not necessarily financially, or not just that, but with time and prayer, etc.), and to stand up in front of the membership and get a certificate. This was a non-denominational independent church.

This fall we plan to join our ELCA church. It also consists of a class and profession of faith, and that's all, as far as I can tell. We're not required to be members to teach or help, so for us, it's really just an outward display of commitment.

:iagree:

Also, I distinguish between joining the "Church" and joining the "parish". I joined the Church when I was baptized. When I have moved I have joined different parishes, but no matter what I'm a member of the "Church."

That's a better distinction than what is in my head.:) (But what do you want from the RC in an Episcopalian parish??!!)

I think there are actually quite a few. Anglicans and Orthodox, Lutherans, some Presbyterians, some Methodists. And I am pretty sure I've heard it used in other denominational contexts as well.

I would tend to understand it based on the context -it could mean either joining a whole Church or denomination, or it might mean a particular parish or congregation.

For myself, I joined the Anglican Church by making a decision about what I believed and being confirmed by the Bishop by laying on of hands. I joined my particular congregation as a place to live out my spiritual and religious life, which means I have duties towards that congregation and they have duties towards me. I didn't really have to do anything to join other than start attending regularly and getting involved - I guess someone put me on the parish list at some point, but I have no idea who.

IME, it's when you transfer your membership from your old Epis church to your new one. There's no "requirement," if you are already in the denomination. If you aren't Episcopalian, you can be received, which means the Bishop blesses you and "accepts" you into the Epis "branch," kind of. It sort of covers all the bases--we acknowledge baptism done by other Christian denominations. Usually there's a class involved that covers Episcopalian "culture" and belief (tho saying there's Episcopalian belief is stretching it a bit, 'cause there's a ton of variety under that roof...).

Pretty much the same for me as for you.... both in growing up in the Lutheran church, and spending the first part of my adult life there, and with the Methodist church. Actually, when I joined my first Methodist church, it was as a transfer of membership since I was already baptized and confirmed.

My husband converted to Catholocism, his Lutheran baptism was considered valid, but he did go through Confirmation again after recieving private instruction from a priest. This was not official RCIA, so it wasn't done during Easter. It happened right before we were married. Catholics are expected to make public professions of the faith, which we do in Mass when we say the creed.

In terms of "joining" a parish, most of the parishes I have joined have wanted our baptism information and confirmation information and marriage info, just to confirm we are full members of the church. Parishes are also part of a diocese, and each Bishop will do things a bit differently in his diocese, so it is hard to say for sure exactly what someone will encounter.