Menu

Can NOT stop drinking water

I had a virus this past week that caused that. I couldn't drink enough when I was awake and my mouth was so dry. But I had major fatigue and slight tummy upset too--I felt dehydrated but I couldn't have been with all that I was drinking. DH has it now too with the desire to drink buckets of water. I didn't even tell him that was a symptom and he mentioned being really thirsty.

If it just started, I wouldn't think that it is diabetes just yet.

I had a virus this past week that caused that. I couldn't drink enough when I was awake and my mouth was so dry. But I had major fatigue and slight tummy upset too--I felt dehydrated but I couldn't have been with all that I was drinking. DH has it now too with the desire to drink buckets of water. I didn't even tell him that was a symptom and he mentioned being really thirsty.

If it just started, I wouldn't think that it is diabetes just yet.

I sure hope not!!!!

The follow up question for diabetes is, are you also urinating frequently in floods?

I'm sure there are probably several possibilities in between nothing is wrong and diabetes. If you have a family member with a meter you could always go check yourself.

DD is diabetic and if I'm ever thirstier than normal or having to pee a lot my mind goes straight to diabetes, or pregnancy. But it's never either. I'm just paranoid!:D

The follow up question for diabetes is, are you also urinating frequently in floods?

No :001_huh:

I'm sure there are probably several possibilities in between nothing is wrong and diabetes. If you have a family member with a meter you could always go check yourself.

All our family lives in Mi

DD is diabetic and if I'm ever thirstier than normal or having to pee a lot my mind goes straight to diabetes, or pregnancy. But it's never either. I'm just paranoid!:D

I am getting paranoid now too :glare:

:001_smile:

Has the weather changed much in your part of the world? When it starts warming up for summer around here I get incredibly thirsty and can't seem to get enough water.

:iagree:

It has been brutally hot here.

Still, I would go see a doctor.

Or, you could look up other symptoms of diabetes and then agonize over whether or not you have them.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

When it is so hot and I cannot quench thirst, the only thing that does it is an ice cold beer. Why am I always talking about drinking beer? :D

But really it works. When DH lived in Greece for a while he said there was no other way to stop quench your thirst in that heat!

When it is so hot and I cannot quench thirst, the only thing that does it is an ice cold beer. Why am I always talking about drinking beer? :D

But really it works. When DH lived in Greece for a while he said there was no other way to stop quench your thirst in that heat!

Is it Baptist Brew :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

My dad was just diagnosed with diabetes a couple of weeks ago. His primary symptoms was dry mouth with metallic tasted and drinking everything in sight to try to get rid of it. By the time he sought medical attention, his sugar was 477, which is life threateningly high.

Have you been urinating a lot? Sleep issues? A lot of salty foods? Is it absurdly hot where you're at? I drink probably over 200 oz of water a day. I feel like I'm drowning myself sometimes. I can not even eat ice cream without a glass of water. However, I'm hypoglycemic (opposite of diabetes in a way), and I seem to have adrenal problems and over salt everything. A lot. So it might just be your body indicating something benign. I would definitely get it checked out, though.

Have you started any new medications or over the counter supplements that might cause it?

As others said, I wouldn't jump to the diabetes conclusion, but since it is in your family it's worth keeping in mind.

I'm not trying to be combative, but getting checked out for diabetes is not jumping to a conclusion, it is getting information so that you can make an informed conclusion or exclusion.

Have you had any salt or electrolytes along with the water? Is your skin salty? When you urinate what colour is the fluid? Nearly clear or dark yellow?

You need to replenish salt and electrolytes along with water after being outside in heat. The salt will also help your body retain the water. If your urine is dark yellow, you are more dehydrated; if urine is clearer then you may be overhydrating, which is also dangerous.

I am a runner, and exercising in the heat without dehydrating is a science. If your symptoms of thirst are solely today, it may just be dehydration and loss of electrolytes. If symptoms continue it could be something else or more serious.

Edited by wintermom

I am SO with you on this one!!! I will usually suck down a HUGE glass of ice water and then have an ice cold beer. Nothing like it on a day like today.

WY - there is a blood test your dr can do which will average out the last three month's blood sugar. I would definitely recommend you do this dur to your thirst, but especially the diabetes in your family. You (and I) are at a high risk.

I wouldn't be too concerned. I have known two people who have reversed diabetes by diet alone.