Menu

I wouldn't be surprised if the police show up at my door soon :/

My son is in his room screaming he is dying, let me eat, let me out, etc.. Mind you his door is open and nothing is restraining him. Now he is screaming "I need food! MOMMY!" He was sent to his room for pitching a temper tantrum screaming and hyperventilating because he was starving.. the food was in front of him the entire time. This happens when he goes TOO long without eating. While cooking dinner I could tell I had waited way too late and he was going to have a mental break down. I gave him a spoonful of peanut butter and a handful of dry cereal and told him to eat it. He ate half and threw the rest away and started playing his DS.... after I called him to the table to eat is when his melt down truly started. I am baffled honestly. The food is in front of him.

I swear I don't know what to do with him. Now he came in and just stood behind me while making sobbing/hyperventilating noises. I told him to get a grip and go eat his supper it is getting cold or go lay on his bed till he can calm down more.. He chooses to go back again to his bed and screams I don't feel the pain he feels?!?!?! I then calming state if he would calm down and breathe and stop flopping like a fish out of water perhaps he wouldn't cause himself pain. He is the one keeping himself isolated in his room and not eating...

That is concerning. Has he been evaluated by a doctor?

It makes me wonder if his blood sugar tanks and that causes his lack of self-control.

a swig of orange juice will bring blood sugar back up very quickly to help calm him until you can get him to sit and eat.

I have one DD who reacts badly if she goes too long without food. I've tried to help her recognize her symptoms early and to get a small snack and drink before it gets bad. She's 15 now and manages pretty well.

For a younger child, I would just try to schedule regular mealtimes and snacks.

I feel for you. Maybe give him a small amount of juice so that the sugar hits his system fast and he can calm down enough to eat properly.

I'm so sorry.

Does he frequently have major meltdowns like this? Sometimes food sensitivities can cause kids to behave this way. Bloodsugar can definitely be an issue, but there might be something else that's causing his over-reactions. I know kids who have had issues with everything from peanutbutter and applejuice to red food coloring and corn.

Just a thought. Hope things settle down for you soon! :grouphug:

I have one child with a similar relationship to food. He's a few years older than yours and it has gotten much better, so don't despair!

I have found that it helped to have HOT food (even something as simple as a piece of toast) as a tide-me-over if he gets too hungry, and/or some juice. This is especially helpful once it reaches the crying stage. You can't cry and drink at the same time :001_smile:. And, I try to make sure that there are (relatively) healthy snacks between meals -- like peanut butter on apple wedges, or bananas with cream, or quesadillas -- something with at least a little bit of protein and/or fat. Cereal with milk is an easy snack in a pinch. If I get to him before he gets very hungry he is cheerful and enjoys his food; once he is "starving!" he is an emotional mess and it's harder to get food into him.

:grouphug: It's a baffling thing! I hope it will one day be a faint memory....

I'm so sorry.

Does he frequently have major meltdowns like this? Sometimes food sensitivities can cause kids to behave this way. Bloodsugar can definitely be an issue, but there might be something else that's causing his over-reactions. I know kids who have had issues with everything from peanutbutter and applejuice to red food coloring and corn.

Just a thought. Hope things settle down for you soon! :grouphug:

he does this anytime he goes WAY beyond dinner time. He has probably done this two or three times this year.

He is finally eating and acting normal... It has to be the blood sugar causing the outbursts. He is just so not my normal, happy little boy. It can be scary but it is my fault for not feeding him at a regular time (DH is having car troubles and we were on the way to town and had to turn around, make phone calls, etc.)

Realistically, those of us who get too low of blood sugar need to eat something every 3 hours. So before dinner time is a classic time for melt downs if you do not plan a snack mid-afternoon. I still get shaky and melt down if I go outside to work on not enough food! The weird thing is that I can have no appetite at the same time!

I recommend some juice to quickly get sugar up in blood... PB will take longer to digest and gets blood sugar up slowly! You want a quick response!

I read to use the HALT signal. Are you:

Hungry

Angry

Lonely or

Tired

It helps kids slow down and figuer out what is going on. But once your child is gone, there is no reasoning or discipline that is going to teach him... it is too late. You have to react by getting sugar in him. Then talk about it later.

Laura

I have a son that was like that from birth to four. We finally figured out what was happening after lots of doctors and food experiments. If you want the story, I will be glad to tell you. Maybe it can help you.

I know it is no fun, and I hope he is better now!

Our dd11 is like this. She has hypoglycemia due to her Mito. We have to feed her every 2 hours in order to keep her from crashing. We give her a carb and a protein to help her balance her blood sugar. We also have to give pure cornstarch mixed with water at night to keep it up during the night. She used to wake up with tantrums every morning until we did the cornstarch.

Take him for a checkup and have them check his blood sugar immediately, as well as sign up for a glucose tolerance test.

My guess is that he's not diabetic, just hypoglycemic and a little entitled.

If hypoglycemic he needs more protein at meals, ABSOLUTELY NO CORN SYRUP, sugar only at special occasions (His birthday, one or two holidays per year one piece of cake or a couple of pieces of candy, not a gorge fest), and more exercise. Hypoglycemia means he's having insulin resistance and is at high risk for diabetes.

Even with blood sugar issues, meltdowns are not okay. I'd probably put him on some sort of restriction until he apologizes too. And make him go to bed earlier to get extra sleep - because clearly he needs more sleep or he wouldn't behave like that... :lol:

My dd is horrible when she's hungry as well. A glass of milk while I'm working on the actual meal will usually help her keep a relatively even keel. Thankfully, she normally snaps out of it pretty quickly once she has some sustenance.

Honestly, I don't agree with punishing him, but it's probably a good idea to talk to him (when he's OK) about what he can do to help himself. He can probably learn the early warning signs and help make sure there are quick, appropriate snacks on hand and take the initative to snack when he needs to. If he sees it as his responsibility he probably won't spout off at you like he did (though, from the sound of things, he wasn't entirely to blame for that).

I have a son that was like that from birth to four. We finally figured out what was happening after lots of doctors and food experiments. If you want the story, I will be glad to tell you. Maybe it can help you.

I'd like the story. My 6 year old gets disobedient and disrespectful when he's hungry. A few times per week he doesn't recognize he's hungry and then starts giving us behavioral problems. It often continues on to a meltdown if we don't figure it out in time.

Have your soon eat every two hours. Be sure to include fat and/or protein with EVERY snack. Keep items on hand for him alone for snacks, and keep a snack bag ready for on the go days. Buy an insulated bags for his snacks.

Ideas:

Yogurt with granola and nuts/seeds for extra fat (which will carry him longer)

Cheese sticks and veggies

Cheese and crackers

Trail mix - home made to include sweets to raise sugars (m&m, dried fruit) starch (pretzels, cheerios, chex), nuts. Keep a large jar of it on hand for snacks. Change the ingredients so he doesn't get bored.

A favorite here: hummus and veggies

I always have nuts on hand to grab and go.

I'd like the story. My 6 year old gets disobedient and disrespectful when he's hungry. A few times per week he doesn't recognize he's hungry and then starts giving us behavioral problems. It often continues on to a meltdown if we don't figure it out in time.

Here is the cliff note version. Please feel free to PM me if you want more information. My son has always had problems with hunger. We at first thought he was just a really hard kid, but as he got older we noticed it was all food related. We started seeing doctors and keeping a food journal. I took him off sugar and gave him protein every two hours, but it would still happen. We ruled out hypoglycemia, but decided to test him for diabetes. His blood sugars were about 250 two hours after eating. His A1C1 was 5.5, and diabetic is 6 and up. The doctors decided he was not diabetic, but has really high blood sugar. I researched further and read that gluten can raise blood sugar and make the insulin work to hard. I decided to try him gluten free for six weeks, and he had zero episodes and no high blood sugar and crashes. He has been gluten free ever since(he is almost 7 now), and we have had complete success. I worry if we had not discovered this he would be on the way to type 2 diabetes. This may not work for everyone, but is worth trying.

As for punishing them when it happens; you can always talk to them about it, but my son never even remember what had happened when he was having his fits. It is crazy.

He did snap out of it after eating. He felt sick while eating and then felt horrible like run over by a truck and moped for a good hour. BUT my sweet boy came back to his senses and did apologize. I don't think it warrants any form of punishment. I won't allow him to flop like a fish at our table because it is bar height. He could get injured. That is the main reason for making him calm down in his room. However, the amount of time in his room was a choice he was in control of.

I do think I will mention his severe tantrums when he has his next physical. I used to get headaches if I didn't eat regularly when I was younger. Unfortunately, today was grocery day so the pantry was quite bare. However, he always has the freedom to select an apple, yogurt, etc.. He just didn't want any of those choices when he first became hungry.

Take him for a checkup and have them check his blood sugar immediately, as well as sign up for a glucose tolerance test.

If hypoglycemic he needs more protein at meals, ABSOLUTELY NO CORN SYRUP, sugar only at special occasions (His birthday, one or two holidays per year one piece of cake or a couple of pieces of candy, not a gorge fest), and more exercise. Hypoglycemia means he's having insulin resistance and is at high risk for diabetes.

Even with blood sugar issues, meltdowns are not okay. I'd probably put him on some sort of restriction until he apologizes too. And make him go to bed earlier to get extra sleep - because clearly he needs more sleep or he wouldn't behave like that... :lol:

surely that comment was stated in jest?

He did snap out of it after eating. He felt sick while eating and then felt horrible like run over by a truck and moped for a good hour. BUT my sweet boy came back to his senses and did apologize. I don't think it warrants any form of punishment. I won't allow him to flop like a fish at our table because it is bar height. He could get injured. That is the main reason for making him calm down in his room. However, the amount of time in his room was a choice he was in control of.

I do think I will mention his severe tantrums when he has his next physical. I used to get headaches if I didn't eat regularly when I was younger. Unfortunately, today was grocery day so the pantry was quite bare. However, he always has the freedom to select an apple, yogurt, etc.. He just didn't want any of those choices when he first became hungry.

Mandy, if his blood sugar was too low then he will feel like he's been run over by a truck. You need to mention this at the physical. It could be just hypoglycemia or it could be the start of diabetes.

The problem with this is that meltdowns are not in his control. As someone who suffers from low blood sugar and has children who have similar issues, once it reaches the meltdown stage, logic and reasoning faculties go completely out the window. Please do not characterize this as poor parenting or poor self-control. This is a medical and nutrition problem, not a behavior problem. It is easily fixed - not with punishment, but with the right food given at the right time.

I think you handled it great and totally agree that punishment isn't the answer here. It sounds like a medical issue and sometimes bad behavior is part of a medical issue and the person does not have control over it.

Lisa

The problem with this is that meltdowns are not in his control. As someone who suffers from low blood sugar and has children who have similar issues, once it reaches the meltdown stage, logic and reasoning faculties go completely out the window. Please do not characterize this as poor parenting or poor self-control. This is a medical and nutrition problem, not a behavior problem. It is easily fixed - not with punishment, but with the right food given at the right time.

:iagree: So glad you said this.

Lisa

Here is the cliff note version. Please feel free to PM me if you want more information. My son has always had problems with hunger. We at first thought he was just a really hard kid, but as he got older we noticed it was all food related. We started seeing doctors and keeping a food journal. I took him off sugar and gave him protein every two hours, but it would still happen. We ruled out hypoglycemia, but decided to test him for diabetes. His blood sugars were about 250 two hours after eating. His A1C1 was 5.5, and diabetic is 6 and up. The doctors decided he was not diabetic, but has really high blood sugar. I researched further and read that gluten can raise blood sugar and make the insulin work to hard. I decided to try him gluten free for six weeks, and he had zero episodes and no high blood sugar and crashes. He has been gluten free ever since(he is almost 7 now), and we have had complete success. I worry if we had not discovered this he would be on the way to type 2 diabetes. This may not work for everyone, but is worth trying.

As for punishing them when it happens; you can always talk to them about it, but my son never even remember what had happened when he was having his fits. It is crazy.

Interesting, you know there is a connection between diabetes and celiacs.

As to the blood sugar issues I can relate to that. I've never had a tantrum but with my first pregnancy and for a few years afterward I will struggled with hypoglycemia and it was horrid when I would crash. I've figured out what works for me and what doesn't, thank goodness but that sure is a horrible feeling. I don't (generally) do anything super sweet and if I do have something sweeter it is with protein first and never on an empty belly. I try to keep to very protein heavy b-fasts especially.

We also have trouble keeping blood sugar up in this family--and my husband is one of the worst. He will feel awful because he hasn't eaten but he doesn't realize that is the problem and will refuse to eat because of how he feels...I have better luck keeping the kids fed than him!

I have an open-kitchen policy, food is available at any time. I try to always have cheese sticks and fruit on hand, since those are easy for the kids to get themselves. They also like peanut butter sandwiches, nuts, sunflower seeds, bread with nutella, cereal and milk, and anything fresh from the garden. I never go more than two hours without eating something myself, so I certainly don't expect them to. We do have 3 meals a day, but everyone snacks in between and it keeps things running much more smoothly.

:iagree: Even we as adults are susceptible to meltdowns when something is wrong physically--low blood sugar, too tired, etc. OK, we don't usually scream, but we can get awfully grumpy and illogical. Punishment is not the answer.

Thanks for sharing. I have a feeling my dd4 is reacting to something she eats, but I haven't figured out what yet. I've put the whole family on a gluten-free trial before and it didn't seem to help, but I still wonder because gluten problems run in my family. Maybe I'll try again.

I feel for your son. I never had meltdowns because of low blood sugar, but I do get very shaky, weak, headaches, etc. High school was the worst, because you weren't allowed to eat except at your lunch time, and then we had band practice after school several days a week. It was misery. I remember coming home from band practice and only being able to stomach pure sugar and pure salt (I also have low blood pressure). It was gross, but I was also very sick and that was what helped. Once I had some sugar and salt in my system, I would move on to potato chips and chocolate. And once I'd had a bit of that, then I could stomach real food.

In college I was able to eat more frequently, and by controlling my diet more (lots of fat and protein!) I felt much, much better. But I still had incidents, especially in pregnancy. I've fainted from low blood sugar in pregnancy before, and this time around I find I need to drink juice all day just to regulate my blood sugar. I take food with me everywhere I go, and I usually carry a pack of fruit chews in my purse in case of emergency.

About the doctors... back in college my doctor tested my blood and found that my insulin levels were raised. He sent me to an endocrinologist who told me that it was all in my head and that hypoglycemia is ONLY a precursor to diabetes and that there was absolutely no chance I had prediabetes. Thank-you-very-much-goodbye. :glare: So I don't have much faith in doctors being able to help with hypoglycemia. In my experience, you have to treat it yourself.

I think the best thing to do is to pretend that he's diabetic. Put him on a diabetic diet: severely limit sugar and offer mostly protein and fat. Except when he's having low blood sugar. In those times what he needs is pretty much straight sugar. They give diabetics sugar pills when they get hypoglycemic, right? So I don't see this as any different. Juice, fruit, even candy, are all appropriate responses to a hypoglycemic attack. Get the blood sugar up quickly. Only after he's had a hit of sugar should you be offering him things like peanut butter and milk. Not that the peanut butter and milk will hurt him, but its just not going to help the situation any.

I hope it's a very long time before he has another one of these... even three times a year is too frequent for a full out blood sugar crash. :(

Interesting, you know there is a connection between diabetes and celiacs.

It actually took me awhile to try gluten free because they tested him for celiacs and it was negative. I also did not think it was gluten because he has never had digestion and stomach problems. It was not until I found out that gluten can mess with blood sugar that I broke down and gave it a try(I was pretty desperate at this point).

I feel for your son. I never had meltdowns because of low blood sugar, but I do get very shaky, weak, headaches, etc. High school was the worst, because you weren't allowed to eat except at your lunch time, and then we had band practice after school several days a week. It was misery. I remember coming home from band practice and only being able to stomach pure sugar and pure salt (I also have low blood pressure). It was gross, but I was also very sick and that was what helped. Once I had some sugar and salt in my system, I would move on to potato chips and chocolate. And once I'd had a bit of that, then I could stomach real food.

In college I was able to eat more frequently, and by controlling my diet more (lots of fat and protein!) I felt much, much better. But I still had incidents, especially in pregnancy. I've fainted from low blood sugar in pregnancy before, and this time around I find I need to drink juice all day just to regulate my blood sugar. I take food with me everywhere I go, and I usually carry a pack of fruit chews in my purse in case of emergency.

About the doctors... back in college my doctor tested my blood and found that my insulin levels were raised. He sent me to an endocrinologist who told me that it was all in my head and that hypoglycemia is ONLY a precursor to diabetes and that there was absolutely no chance I had prediabetes. Thank-you-very-much-goodbye. :glare: So I don't have much faith in doctors being able to help with hypoglycemia. In my experience, you have to treat it yourself.

I think the best thing to do is to pretend that he's diabetic. Put him on a diabetic diet: severely limit sugar and offer mostly protein and fat. Except when he's having low blood sugar. In those times what he needs is pretty much straight sugar. They give diabetics sugar pills when they get hypoglycemic, right? So I don't see this as any different. Juice, fruit, even candy, are all appropriate responses to a hypoglycemic attack. Get the blood sugar up quickly. Only after he's had a hit of sugar should you be offering him things like peanut butter and milk. Not that the peanut butter and milk will hurt him, but its just not going to help the situation any.

I hope it's a very long time before he has another one of these... even three times a year is too frequent for a full out blood sugar crash. :(

What you said about the doctors is so true! We heard all kinds of things with our son(ADHD, autism, celiacs, diabetes, and "he will grow out of it"). My pediatrician was very well meaning, but she just did not know how to help.

You do have to be Dr. Mom to figure it out.

My youngest used to loose it when he would get to hungry. When I realized what the issue was there I talked to him and told him that I didn't care who is here or what time it is, if he starts feeling that he needs something to eat come tell me. It took care of it. He now just goes and gets himself something.

I have one dd who is my sweetest and most even-tempered, but when her blood sugar goes low, she has the worst-ever meltdowns and won't eat. I just want you to know I absolutely know what you are going through.

:grouphug:

So far no doctor has been able to help me with this. The pediatric GI doctor we saw was concerned that no one has done any testing, but she was the only one who was concerned. And we never saw her again once we cut out lactose and her stomaches resolved. I wonder about metabolic issues. I have terrible blood sugar crashes but they seem to have gone away since I started taking B6, B12, and folic acid.

he does this anytime he goes WAY beyond dinner time. He has probably done this two or three times this year.

If it's only 2 or 3 times a year, my guess is there's not a food sensitivity issue in this case. I'll tell you what, though, there are times I feel like I'm going a bit crazy when my eating is out of whack. :tongue_smilie: Glad your son is feeling better today.

My two middles (ages 7 and 4) were at each others throats just two days ago because our dinner plans were messed up and it was getting late, with no food. I tried and tried to get them to eat something, but "I'M NOT HUNGREEEEEE!" was the response from both. They both threw horrific, long-lasting tantrums. I thought it was interesting that both were not feeling hungry, but the clock and their behavior clearly showed they needed to eat.

I called up DH and let him listen to the screaming, to get across to him the point that you DO NOT mess with children's mealtimes...he still doesn't get it. Wish I'd called up MIL to share the screaming with her, since she was the one who kept those two out all day and failed to feed them. Grrrr!

I'm going to remember about getting sugar into them when they get like that...thanks!

My dad has this problem, he's 70.

I have this problem, I'm 40.

My middle son has this problem, he's 10.

:D

I find it's worse in kids when they're going through a growth spurt, his levels are a little less controllable.

I agree what helps for us is a carb and a protien together. And there are times when hubby has had to DEMAND we eat. I know that out of control, totally emotionally a wreck feeling-- and it is NOT controllable AT ALL! I would never punish something that is a medical situation out of their control. (as others have already said too)

When he (or me) get's low, we have a drink of Coke/Dr Pepper, or orange juice. Something FAST acting.

If we're out of the house, I keep a tube of squeeze icing in my purse. It's a fast way to bring up blood sugar!

they make glucose tablets, but my son has a allergy to the flavoring, so that's out for us. As soon as we get it up, we immediately follow with protien, so that things dont dip down again. Milk (we do the carnation breakfast mixed in milk), protien bars, cheese, pepperoni, chicken pieces, etc... whatever we can grab quickly.

The past week, I've had to give him an extra dose of protein combined with a SMALL bit of carb at bedtime or he has serious problems in the morning. I know he's going through a growth spurt and this is "normal" for him during growth spurts but if things worsen or do not improve soon, I will get out the blood glucose meter and start documenting his numbers again.

He has 3 cousins with type 1 diabetes, so we do watch closely in our boys for warning signs...

You're NOT alone in this, and you have a good attitude about it. Once you get in a routine and teach YOUR SON to keep on top of this (knowing his own warning signs, learning when to ask for what...) it gets ALOT easier.

He has been gluten free ever since(he is almost 7 now), and we have had complete success.

I'm glad you found the problem. Gluten problems run in my family, so both my boys have been gluten-free their whole lives. I do, however, sometimes wonder if dairy is a trigger for my oldest. I suppose we should try an elimination diet for him.

Great advice here! I also come from a low line of hypoglycemics and struggle with it myself. I keep peanut butter crackers, packs of nuts and nut granola bars in the car/house at all times.

Hope peace reigns in your house!

Agreed.