Menu

Would you give antibiotics to a child exposed to whooping cough?

The local health department was at our church today, recommending that everyone grades 3 and below who were in Sunday School on a particular morning receive a Z-pack treatment for exposure to whooping cough. Apparently, a child in that building had a confirmed case and the health department was following up during the "exposure window" time frame.

My twins have no symptoms, but do have currently "dormant" asthma. They have special needs and as such, I am loathe to use antibiotics unless absolutely necessary. We work really hard on vitamin intake, healthy diet, etc. and I know that I'll have to get them on pro-biotics again if we go the preventative treatment route. The kids were vaccinated against pertussis early on and were exposed to it in the form of me actually getting it when they were young...no one picked it up from me out of all six family members.

I am leaning towards no preventative tx. What says the Hive?

Thanks!

I wouldn't with my children. However, they are not immune deficient nor do they have asthma. My brother on the other hand, a grown adult with severe crohn's disease would most definitely have to start up on meds for it. He gets EVERYTHING and a simple cold puts him in the hospital.

I think you have to do what you think is best for your babes. IF they get everything they are exposed to, I would consider it.

The local health department was at our church today, recommending that everyone grades 3 and below who were in Sunday School on a particular morning receive a Z-pack treatment for exposure to whooping cough. Apparently, a child in that building had a confirmed case and the health department was following up during the "exposure window" time frame.

My twins have no symptoms, but do have currently "dormant" asthma. They have special needs and as such, I am loathe to use antibiotics unless absolutely necessary. We work really hard on vitamin intake, healthy diet, etc. and I know that I'll have to get them on pro-biotics again if we go the preventative treatment route. The kids were vaccinated against pertussis early on and were exposed to it in the form of me actually getting it when they were young...no one picked it up from me out of all six family members.

I am leaning towards no preventative tx. What says the Hive?

Thanks!

From all the trouble I've had in the past with bronchitis issues, I'd take the antibiotic packages and break them out at the very first sign of illness. If no illness occurs, then you've got back up Z-paks. If it does and you get right on it in the first few hours, it really helps.

Do your kids have a regular doctor who can advise you?

One of my kids often reacts badly to antibiotics so we try not to take them unless it's absolutely necessary. I wouldn't give him something because someone from the health department, who doesn't know my kid and his particular health issues, said to. (That is not a slam against any public health employee who is doing his job, or to parents who would take the antibiotics as advised by him or her.)

Actually, I'm surprised that they prescribed antibiotics in such a way, without knowing medical history.

So, I'd call the doctor and get his opinion.

Hope it works out well for you, whatever you do!

In that case, I wouldn't. My kids were all directly exposed to whooping cough- my sister's kids had it. (Think sleepovers, hugs and kisses, etc) She was late in testing, and it turns out my kids played closely with them for a month until she got a postive diagnosis. We got so many conflicting stories on whether to take anitibiotics or not. Our doctor said, absolutely yes, even though none of my kids had symptoms. We spent over $200 on the meds, gave everyone a first dose, come to find out the next day a woman from the health department said no need to give the antibiotics unless they have symptoms. We stopped with the antibiotics (I was NOT happy that i had given it to them, we are pretty holistic minded) and dealt with upset tummies for 2 days as a result- even with mega doses of probiotics. My kids never got it, including my youngest who was not vaxed for WC. I think so many doctors and nurses have no clue about why antibiotics are given. One told us it would stop the WC from spreading but not protect those who had been exposed, another said it would prevent anyone exposed from getting it....Very Frustrating. From the research I have done, I would not give the antibiotics if there were no symptoms, but I strongly advise you to do your own research.

I would hold off on the z-pack, but watch closely for those first cold-like symptoms and head straight in for the anti-biotics even if it seems like overkill for a runny nose. Whooping cough is nothing to mess with - oldest DD came down with a nasty case about 3 years ago that threw her heart out of whack for several months.

DD had a suspected case of whooping cough earlier this year. She wasn't super sick, but she had the characteristic whoop with her cough. The pediatrician gave us a prescription for abx, but I never filled it. However, DD wasn't really acting sick and she didn't have any of the other symptoms. It was only the cough - which sounded horrible, btw. But DD only had the first vaccine for whooping cough. She had a reaction to it, and the doctor recommended she not get any more in the series. And we had been at the ER just a week or two before that, so I thought it was possible she could have been exposed and gotten it. For that reason I took her in. But from my research, once you reach the coughing stage antibiotics only work to prevent the spread of the disease. It won't help an infected person get better sooner.

So we kept her quarantined at home for a week while we waited on the results of the test.

If it were me dealing with a situation like the OP described, here's what I would consider:

1 - Did my children get the shots? If yes, then I wouldn't bother with antibiotics. Unless...

2 - How old are my children? If I had an infant in the house, I'd very seriously consider antibiotics, even if that child had the 2 month shot. If they're all older, I wouldn't bother with antibiotics. Unless....

3 - Are my children immune-compromised? If yes, then I would very seriously consider antibiotics.

Either way, I would try to limit their exposure to other families, especially families with babies and toddlers, until you know if your children have caught it or not (or until they're done with the antibiotics). Whooping cough is very dangerous to small children.

We've been through this recently and we have done the antibiotics.

Actually, I'm surprised that they prescribed antibiotics in such a way, without knowing medical history.

So, I'd call the doctor and get his opinion.

The public health department didn't prescribe the antibiotics. They recommend that you call your doctor and have them write the prescription. Most doctors will call it in without having to see the person, as long as they don't have any symptoms.

I would do just about anything to prevent pertussis, especially if the children in question are asthmatic. My dd had a relatively minor case of it last winter, and watching her sit up all night coughing until her lips turned blue and she threw up, over and over again, was horrific. I can't even imagine having a kid with asthma and a full blown case of pertussis. One round of antibiotics is a small price to pay to hopefully avoid it.

I currently have pertussis (whooping cough) and I have asthma. This is the worst illness I have ever had. GIVE YOUR KIDS THE MEDS and make sure their shots and YOUR shots are up to date. I have had it since May and was put on a z-pack and was no longer contagious after 5 days on the antibiotic. But then the coughing started. It is a terrible deep, wet cough that hurts my whole chest and abdomen. My throat is so bad that I cannot talk becuase of laryngitis. The pertussis bacteria die on the z-pac but leave behind toxins through the entire respiratory system. The cough is so bad and there is nothing they can give me becuase nothing works for pertussis cough. I have coughed to the point of not being able to breath many times and have passed out twice. I also cough so hard I vomit. THe cough is called the hundred day cough in some parts of the worls and the health department and cdc told me I won't be better until the end of the three months. My asthma has gotten worse since the pertussis but I can't go on steroids because I am diabetic. The doctors are trying everything but now I got a secondary infection and thrush from the lung problems.

Anyway, I HIGHLY recommend all adults get their Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccine. Most have gotten their Td (tetanus, diphtheria) but the pertussis part wasn't added on the tetanus vaccine until a couple of years ago. Kids lose their Dtap vaccine at age 11 so if you have a kid 11 or older who isn't vaccinated with the Tdap yet, they really should. If adults, teens and kids would get vaccinated, I might not have this most horrible disease.

The public health department didn't prescribe the antibiotics. They recommend that you call your doctor and have them write the prescription. Most doctors will call it in without having to see the person, as long as they don't have any symptoms.

Aaahh... I read it as they were giving them to people without knowing anything about the medical history. I'm glad to see I was wrong. ;)

It is an absolutely horrible disease. HORRIBLE!!!! I had three (vaccinated) kids with it last summer. My guy with asthma was BY FAR the worst. He would head outside when he had to cough (it was the worst in the morning) and he would cough for an hour, vomitting over the edge of our porch. My daughter would awaken in the middle of the night coughing SO hard and then she'd get TERRIBLY scared because she couldn't catch her breath. My oldest didn't have it too bad. But, he would cough and cough and cough and cough.

My asthmatic was at the allergist A TON. He was on steroids and they didn't help. Breathing treatment didn't help. Nothing worked except time.

They were all put on antibiotics because then they wouldn't be contagious after the full round. We did it. We didn't want to be responsible for spreading it.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: I pray you don't have to deal with it. My kids were sick ALL last summer. The entire summer. Then, my youngest got every blasted cough all winter. She never used to get sick.

This went around our school and our pediatrician said there was NO reason for concern because my kids' shots were up to date. She was more concerned about me.

Prophylaxis is recommended for close contacts, whether or not their vaccine is up to date.

Close contact definition Close contacts are defined as persons with exposure to a pertussis case where contact with respiratory aerosols is likely. The duration and intensity of exposure needed to cause infection is unclear. However, being a household member, attending or working in the same child care setting, receiving a cough or sneeze in the face, performing a medical examination of the mouth, nose or throat, sitting at adjacent desks or the same table at school, or sharing a confined space with an infectious person for >1 hour are generally considered significant exposures.

Kids don't necessarily need antibiotics if pertussis is going around their school, because that doesn't automatically mean they've been exposed. But if they sat next to a coughing kid for an hour in class, that might be considered a close contact and antibiotics would be recommended.

An antibiotic effective against pertussis (see below) should be administered to the patient, as indicated, and to all close contacts of persons with pertussis, regardless of age and vaccination status.

Vaccination status is irrelevant.

I would call and chat with the pedi. My son has asthma, and I do not mess around with things that could cause an attack. Generally we are cautious with meds, but if I can prevent a disease like that I will. The thought of staying home for months does not make me happy either, and it can last a long time. Good luck, it is hard to weigh out these things sometimes.

We've been through this recently and we have done the antibiotics.

We are, sadly, between peds because of a sad incident with my other special needs kiddo and a nasty, mean nurse. :glare: Irregardless, the nurses were calling in the meds for us, after having collected basic info at tables set up in the gym. All they really wanted to know was basic allergy and illness info, age, weight and which pharmacy I needed to use.

I've had whooping cough myself and it was nasty. Really, I'm not suspicious of traditional medicine at all, just trying to keep down on antibiotic use overall so traditional medicine keeps on working! ;) And, yes, the kids did sit in a room next to whooping cough kiddo for an hour, apparently.

I'll probably do it. Though, if they didn't get it from living with me, they probably won't get it this time. Better safe than sorry!

Thanks so much for all your thoughts!

I would call and chat with the pedi. My son has asthma, and I do not mess around with things that could cause an attack. Generally we are cautious with meds, but if I can prevent a disease like that I will. The thought of staying home for months does not make me happy either, and it can last a long time. Good luck, it is hard to weigh out these things sometimes.

Your post made me remember that I still have my own pulmonologist I could ask! She has seen the boys but doesn't see them now as they haven't needed meds in some time. I'm sure I could call her about it. Thanks!

We are, sadly, between peds because of a sad incident with my other special needs kiddo and a nasty, mean nurse. :glare: Irregardless, the nurses were calling in the meds for us, after having collected basic info at tables set up in the gym. All they really wanted to know was basic allergy and illness info, age, weight and which pharmacy I needed to use.

Sorry, I should have phrased that better.

Generally, during an outbreak, public health departments make recommendations about who should be treated and how, and usually have people go through their doctors' offices. They also have medical professionals that can prescribe the antibiotics for people who don't have a doctor or for some reason don't want to call their doctor.

Sorry, I should have phrased that better.

Generally, during an outbreak, public health departments make recommendations about who should be treated and how, and usually have people go through their doctors' offices. They also have medical professionals that can prescribe the antibiotics for people who don't have a doctor or for some reason don't want to call their doctor.

I think they were being especially helpful in this case by setting out the tables for the nurse practioners because a. I live in a small town and they have the staff for this and b. it was the fastest way to reach the hundreds of families attending my very large church with many, many small children. I think they called in the troops for this one! They offered to prescribe for everyone, not just those of us who are mad at our current ped office! :D

Whooping is really only supposed to be dangerous for infants under six months, so no, I wouldn't do the antibiotics myself.

True. But, it's also dangerous for those who have a weakened immune system. Asthma fits that bill.

Dangerous? Maybe no. Scary as HELL for three months while it cycled through my family. Definitely.

ETA: I just went back through my videos to see if it was as bad as I remember it. It was. And worse. I can send you a video of my ds - then 10. He is coughing so hard he's vomiting over our back porch. He's whooping. He's sweaty from all the coughing. He'd been at it for over an hour. I'm in tears remembering . . .

Edited by Jennifer in MI

Exposed? Perhaps not. If showing any signs of WC at all? A big fat yes.

The problem is, by the time you have any symptoms, you are already in big trouble. Pertussis is no joke. I am 38 and have been in the hospital twice for this. I am definitely not under 6 months and I am not considered immuno-compromised but it has been very dangerous for me. My kids, kids who came over here the week I was told it was asthma, not pertussis, and friends I hung out with, all went on antibiotics so they wouldn't get it. Everybody got Zithromax and it wasn't a big deal.

Your children aren't going to become resistant to antibiotics if you give them one course for prevention. If they get it, you will have the illness for 3 months! Seriously, 5 days on antibiotics or 90 days of hell....hmmm, not a hard decision. I don't mean to sound mean but this has been one of the worst illnesses I have had and I am passionate about people getting vaccinated and taking antibiotics for prevention because I don't want others to go through what I am.

In a heartbeat, and I am very cautious about overuse of antibiotics.

My daughter has just recovered from whooping cough, despite a booster 3 years ago. It was 8 horrible weeks. It is not just coughing. She could NOT breathe, despite never having asthma in her life. She was on two inhalers, oral steroids, nebulizer treatments 3 times per day and did a course of antibiotics early on.

She is my fourth. I am not easily frightened by illness. This scared the *&( out of me. There were times I had to pull the car to the side of the road or tear through the house to get to her because it came on so quickly and severely she couldn't even pull her inhaler to her face.

She is over it. No more coughing, no more treatment. But she still cannot run without losing breath, and she is an athlete. She will be recovering for weeks. If you can prevent it, please do it.

The problem is, by the time you have any symptoms, you are already in big trouble. Pertussis is no joke. I am 38 and have been in the hospital twice for this. I am definitely not under 6 months and I am not considered immuno-compromised but it has been very dangerous for me. My kids, kids who came over here the week I was told it was asthma, not pertussis, and friends I hung out with, all went on antibiotics so they wouldn't get it. Everybody got Zithromax and it wasn't a big deal.

Your children aren't going to become resistant to antibiotics if you give them one course for prevention. If they get it, you will have the illness for 3 months! Seriously, 5 days on antibiotics or 90 days of hell....hmmm, not a hard decision. I don't mean to sound mean but this has been one of the worst illnesses I have had and I am passionate about people getting vaccinated and taking antibiotics for prevention because I don't want others to go through what I am.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: I am so sorry you are going through this.

When we went through it, nobody wanted to test my kids! They couldn't have it because they'd been vaccinated! Right. They were diagnosed with everything else and given antibiotics (early on, but not early enough to stop the progression), so they wouldn't have tested positive. Luckily I had a doc who who was willing to diagnose on symptoms and not the stupid tests.

It really is horrible. My then-10 yo asked me to video tape him because he wanted to save other kids from this horrible disease. Watching your kid go purple from coughing is just not fun!!! (I'm happy to share the video!)

Whooping is really only supposed to be dangerous for infants under six months, so no, I wouldn't do the antibiotics myself.

But it can be very, very bad for older children as well. And the OP's children have asthma, which would make it a whole lot worse.

I'd do the meds.

Then I would give the antibiotics. There is no way I would mess around.

I am not one to give meds for no reason (one of my kids has never even had any antibx, and the rest have had maybe one or two courses in their lives).

I would not mess around with whopping cough. If that has me losing hippie cred, fine.

Edited by LibraryLover

Ya'll have convinced me! I'll pick up the antibiotics and a good probiotic tomorrow! ;) Purple and throwing up...no way we need that around here. I remember how bad it was for me, but thinking about that going through my four special needs kids...that visual is enough to scare me up to the pharmacy!

Jennifer, tell your son his work here is done! :D

Ya'll have convinced me! I'll pick up the antibiotics and a good probiotic tomorrow! ;) Purple and throwing up...no way we need that around here. I remember how bad it was for me, but thinking about that going through my four special needs kids...that visual is enough to scare me up to the pharmacy!

Jennifer, tell your son his work here is done! :D

:hurray: My ds will be SO happy! Seriously, he asked me one night to video him coughing so I could share it with everyone. He said he didn't want anyone else to get it. My dd's cough was scarier for her, so I never got to tape her. Both were VERY scary. I'm so glad to read this (and I'm a never-give-an-antibiotic-unless-absolutely-necessary type of mom!). My 16 yo had his first round of antibiotics two years ago when he had cellulitis. So, I get it. :grouphug:

According to my research, not only is pertussis ("the 100 day cough") a disease that is miserable for adults, but if they have it they can pass it to infants, who are more likely to actually die from it. (It is apparently true that the disease is worse for children under 6 months, but this refers to the fact that it may result in death primarily in this group.) Hence it is recommended that everyone receive a Tdap booster as an adult. I got mine in my 60's, but there is now something of a pertussis epidemic, party because there are places even in the US where people decline this vaccination.

Edited by mathwonk

From all the trouble I've had in the past with bronchitis issues, I'd take the antibiotic packages and break them out at the very first sign of illness. If no illness occurs, then you've got back up Z-paks. If it does and you get right on it in the first few hours, it really helps.

:iagree: this

My youngest is on antibiotics right now for this. He is sick, but he wasn't exposed to WC that I know of. But he is immune compromised and has asthma. They tested him for WC, but we haven't heard yet. Should hear tomorrow.

They only suggest treatment when it's a certain type, so I would give the antibiotics. With my child, this is the first time for antibiotics, so I am not worried about it.

According to my research, not only is pertussis ("the 100 day cough") a disease that is miserable for adults, but if they have it they can pass it to infants, who are more likely to actually die from it. (It is apparently true that the disease is worse for children under 6 months, but this refers to the fact that it may result in death primarily in this group.) Hence it is recommended that everyone receive a Tdap booster as an adult. I got mine in my 60's, but there is now something of a pertussis epidemic, party because there are places even in the US where people decline this vaccination.

:iagree:

When DD had her reaction to the DTaP vaccine, our pediatrician told DH and I to get our TDaP shots. So we did.

There are a ton of vaccines out there for illnesses that aren't really scary. Whooping Cough scares me, and it's not all that rare. The new baby will be getting its DTaP shot at 2 months as recommended (and hopefully won't have a reaction!), and I'll make sure DH and I get our boosters when they're due.

Wow, I'm so sorry for those of you going through this, or that have gone through it with your families. I have heard that it's just awful... we have friends who went through it with both their daughters last year, even though both were fully vaccinated. (Does it make anyone else wonder a bit, when they say you should take the medicine even if you've been vaccinated? I mean, I have to wonder if the vaccine isn't working a large proportion of the time.)

I have another dear friend whose son cannot get the pertussis vaccine... as an infant, he had a *major* reaction to DTaP. They keep the rest of the family vaccinated and take vigilant precautions, but my friend is very concerned about recent outbreks of this.

OP, I'm glad you've decided to do it. I have a DS who hasn't been technically diagnosed with asthma, but has what one doctor termed "illness induced asthma" where he has breathing problems when sick. I'd give him the antibiotics too, and with your kids' needs, I definitely think you're making the right decision. Hope this all passes uneventfully for you!!

Edited by SunnyDays

Wow, I'm so sorry for those of you going through this, or that have gone through it with your families. I have heard that it's just awful... we have friends who went through it with both their daughters last year, even though both were fully vaccinated. (Does it make anyone else wonder a bit, when they say you should take the medicine even if you've been vaccinated? I mean, I have to wonder if the vaccine isn't working a large proportion of the time.

The vaccine reduces the severity of the illness.