Menu

For those who use *ahem* raincoats for birth control

Do you use a raincoat as your primary method of BC  

1. 1. Do you use a raincoat as your primary method of BC

• No, we do not use raincoats.
    • Yes, we use raincoats but may have a pre-raincoat dip at times.
    • Yes, we use raincoats as per the manufacturer's instructions.

How many play around a bit before the raincoat goes on?

This question has just been on my mind lately because, surprise, we are having a baby and you can probably guess how it happened. Of course we are very happy now that the shock has worn off.:D

I will include a poll so that the guilty parties can participate in this thread without incriminating themselves.:blush:

*Update, I did the poll wrong and the results are not secret. This is a disclaimer that participation in this poll is without raincoat, wetsuit or any type of protection. My apologies :-(

Edited by Hope in God
poll submission error

I'm not sure what you mean by playing around. Do you mean diving into the water without a wetsuit, then putting it on after a few waves? Or do you mean giving a pre-swim massage? Or swimming up the (hopefully recently flushed) sewer pipe beforehand without a wetsuit?

I could do this all day!

I see from the poll that you mean a dip without protection. Contrary to popular belief, withdrawal only has a 4% pregnancy rate and thus is very unlikely to be the culprit. http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/journals/reprints/Contraception79-407-410.pdf

I think it's far more likely that there was a wetsuit malfunction! The "typical use" failure rate of wetsuits is 15%. There are a lot of ways wetsuits can fail -- feel free to google it for more info.

Edited by Skadi

Nope! I think two of the most common problems is leaving air bubbles in it (the tiny swimmers escape this way) or the wetsuit slipping up during the swim (but sliding down again by the finale so it wouldn't be noticeable).

I see from the poll that you mean a dip without protection. Contrary to popular belief, withdrawal only has a 4% pregnancy rate and thus is very unlikely to be the culprit. http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/journals/reprints/Contraception79-407-410.pdf

I think it's far more likely that there was a wetsuit malfunction! The "typical use" failure rate of wetsuits is 15%. There are a lot of ways wetsuits can fail -- feel free to google it for more info.

:eek: Oh my goodness, that's really taking a chance isn't it? And not just on pregnancy either!! WOW!

Voted no in the poll.. Hated wearing a raincoat..thought it was safe to dash through a shower without one and that's how we got DD3months :lol::lol: Oops.. all tied up now so we no longer have to worry:D

I'm not sure what you mean by playing around. Do you mean diving into the water without a wetsuit, then putting it on after a few waves? Or do you mean giving a pre-swim massage? Or swimming up the (hopefully recently flushed) sewer pipe beforehand without a wetsuit?

I could do this all day!

Please! Regale us with more!

:eek: Oh my goodness, that's really taking a chance isn't it? And not just on pregnancy either!! WOW!

Voted no in the poll.. Hated wearing a raincoat..thought it was safe to dash through a shower without one and that's how we got DD3months :lol::lol: Oops.. all tied up now so we no longer have to worry:D

Well, perfect use is 2% failure. Perfect use pretty much means use it every time for the whole time. Condoms can fail but most condom pregnancies are from lack of use during a fertile time. Statistically I suspect most people don't use them all the time every time.

Edited by sbgrace

Fourth fish is due to wetsuit breach...we assume manufacturer's defect since the expert diver had geared up properly and carefully. It was a very unsafe dive! :lol:

No more fish. I can't dive without "the bends"...the kind that kills divers so we took permanent action and expert diver is now just a snorkeler. :D

Faith

We used to play around a bit, but will full knowledge that there was a risk involved.

:iagree: We figured if we got pregnant, it was God's plan.

At the same time, though, we never really got pregnant unless we were wanting to. Each time we got pregnant, there was no "raincoat."

Fourth fish is due to wetsuit breach...we assume manufacturer's defect since the expert diver had geared up properly and carefully. It was a very unsafe dive! :lol:

No more fish. I can't dive without "the bends"...the kind that kills divers so we took permanent action and expert diver is now just a snorkeler. :D

Faith

I...have no idea what this means. :confused:

I needed the obligatory "other".

We use raincoats as per manufacturer's instructions.

Ds11 was the result of the 4% ineffective withdrawal method.

We occasionally leave off our raincoat when there is practically no chance of rain - ie, at the very beginning of the weather cycle.

:iagree: We figured if we got pregnant, it was God's plan.

At the same time, though, we never really got pregnant unless we were wanting to. Each time we got pregnant, there was no "raincoat."

I...have no idea what this means. :confused:

Bends - decompresson sickness, has to do with the blood stream. I have a blood disorder and will die if I have anymore.

It was a euphemism that probably only women will get! :D:lol:

Faith

Oh my. :lol: I needed a good laugh!

I am just wondering which term will go down in WTM forum history as the definitive term.. a raincoat, or a wetsuit? I think I prefer wetsuit, the imagery is slightly more accurate.. :D

Snorkeling. That gets my vote for best euphemism. :lol::lol::lol:

Why was this poll done so the votes are public? Just curious.

Doh! I have never done a poll before. I thought that the vote public option was so that everyone could see the poll results. So in this case the technical problem can be pinpoined as originating between the chair and the keyboard (as usual). Can I fix it?

Edited by Hope in God

Maybe someone else has mentioned this already, but it's a public poll.

Also, remember the reason for creative terms:001_smile: If you see this and have put real words in for raincoats and teA, please go edit out:). This is a publicly searchable forum.

I love the creativity in talking around things, I have not laughed so much at talking around since teA room carpeting.:lol::lol:

Edited by Northwest_Mama

I would not go without a condom unless there was spermicide used, but I also have a spermicide baby & pill baby. So I may not be the best one to talk to about birth control. I did find that vasectomy worked the best for us.

We use as directed but skinny dip a couple of days before period is due. My cycle is like clockwork and I know when I'm ovulating. I could probably just do natural family planning but I don't want to risk it.

Before we decided it was time to have kids we used both condoms and the bcp with absolutely no skinny dipping ever. For seven years.

We use as directed but skinny dip a couple of days before period is due. My cycle is like clockwork and I know when I'm ovulating. I could probably just do natural family planning but I don't want to risk it.

Before we decided it was time to have kids we used both condoms and the bcp with absolutely no skinny dipping ever. For seven years.

It is risky.. lol My cycle was the same way .. until 1 month (almost exactly 1 yr ago:) I ovulated early and I'm holding the result of that=D Predictable does not = reliable.. LOL

Thanks for the laughs ladies.. I really needed it today!

OK, this is a conversation I have needed to have, but was too embarrassed to discuss with IRL friends. Thank heavens for y'all!

We have been using the wetsuits for years now. It makes me crazy. I strongly dislike wetsuits. DH feels very strongly that we are done procreating, and has total faith in the structure and effectiveness of the wetsuit. I, on the other hand, am ready to buy the Walmart at home vasectomy kit (once they invent it), and get rid of wetsuits forever seeing as he promised to get the big "V" about three years ago if we would schedule it during March Madness.

Let me get this straight - people have gotten pregnant using wetsuits faithfully???? (And we are faithful users - after a bit of skinny dipping, but always for the grand finale. But DH is Type A, so you can bet if there are no wetsuits, there is no swimming.)

Dude. If that's the case, DH will be the first man in line at the convent (but still the last guy in line at the urologist).

Birth control makes me crazy!!

Yes, wetsuit EVERY dive with the occasional brief skinny dip before the main event. 4% is really nearly a 1 in 20 chance of 2 pink lines if the timing is just right. And believe me 4% seems so much more probable when there are 2 pink lines.:eek:

By the way, when I made the poll I set it to delete itself after 30 days so it won't be in cyber space forever *whew* (at least I did that right).

OK, this is a conversation I have needed to have, but was too embarrassed to discuss with IRL friends. Thank heavens for y'all!

We have been using the wetsuits for years now. It makes me crazy. I strongly dislike wetsuits. DH feels very strongly that we are done procreating, and has total faith in the structure and effectiveness of the wetsuit. I, on the other hand, am ready to buy the Walmart at home vasectomy kit (once they invent it), and get rid of wetsuits forever seeing as he promised to get the big "V" about three years ago if we would schedule it during March Madness.

Let me get this straight - people have gotten pregnant using wetsuits faithfully???? (And we are faithful users - after a bit of skinny dipping, but always for the grand finale. But DH is Type A, so you can bet if there are no wetsuits, there is no swimming.)

Dude. If that's the case, DH will be the first man in line at the convent (but still the last guy in line at the urologist).

Birth control makes me crazy!!

Read the box.

I'm glad I'm not alone my friends make me feel like I'm the only one in the world that is married and use wetsuits while swimming. :-) But we definitely do some early skinny-dipping but always finish up with a wetsuit. If there's no wetsuits available we just splash around with our hands our maybe blow bubbles in the water...lol

Yes, wetsuit EVERY dive with the occasional brief skinny dip before the main event. 4% is really nearly a 1 in 20 chance of 2 pink lines if the timing is just right. And believe me 4% seems so much more probable when there are 2 pink lines.:eek:

4% is perfect usage. The actual percentage is much higher. More than 15%.

In high school, we studied a chart of different brands and some had a 50% failure rate!

Not a raincoat user, but I hear that the best swimmers tend to run at the front of the pack, so to speak ... and some might not even wait for the starting gun. So from that perspective, I don't find your situation particularly unexpected.

Congratulations on your surprise package!

Not a raincoat user, but I hear that the best swimmers tend to run at the front of the pack, so to speak ... and some might not even wait for the starting gun. So from that perspective, I don't find your situation particularly unexpected.

Congratulations on your surprise package!

This. If there are any soldiers still waiting in the tunnels from the last deployment, going for a short swim before those second orders are handed out allows them too much freedom and they end up with a weekend home. :tongue_smilie:

If you're going to count on the raincoats, they must be worn beginning to end. You can add a sp**micide though, and it's almost as effective as the pill. We used "VCF" (Wal-Mart, cheap stuff) in conjunction with raincoats for a full year at a time, two separate years, without incident. "VCF" is the name of that product, and it stands for Vag* Contrace* Film - and that's exactly what it was.

You know those breath film things, that look like squares of tape or something and you put them on your tongue and they dissolve? These are kind of like that. You fold them up, insert them as far as you can get them, and then you *must* wait for 15 minutes before doing any swimming. (Can you say, required warm-ups please, honey :lol: )

In the past, we've used several different methods, including that long-term inserted version for a full 5 years. (After which, my first ovulation was DOUBLE, hence twins! Just saying.) The tubes are tied now (hey, required c-section, and twins were babies 4 and 5, so I figured while he was in there...), so there are no worries. Except that troublesome monthly visitor, which I haven't had to deal with since my first year of marriage, is back. :glare: Yeah - I was either expecting, nursing, BOTH :tongue_smilie:, or on the inserted bc and not having monthly visitations - for 9 years. :D

I'd hoped for NFP after this last pregnancy, not really sure I could've convinced hubby though, and was led in the permanent direction after all. (It was not something I really WANTED to do, and I'm not one for doing things just because everyone else thinks it makes the most sense. ;) )