Menu

In need of a thrify meal for a ham bone that doesn't involve beans...

Jumbalaya uses bits of ham as sort of a condiment in a rice-based main dish.

Also, you can always make fried rice with it. Again, in fried rice, a little meat goes a long way. All you need for that is cooked rice, peanut oil, scallions (or if you have any sprouted onions, the sprouts work. Do not ask me how I know this), an egg or two, and soy sauce, along with a little cut up meat.

Ham and potato soup?

yes!!! so yummy! good with extra cheese or no cheese, and i have been know to throw veggies in here too, corn, squash, onion, peppers...whatever! you could use water and let the hambone/ham flavor it too, then add the tatos! you can mash up 1/2 of the tatos after they are cooked for that creamy taste/texture w/o milk

So maybe the greens over rice or potatoes. But again, doesn't it cook down so much?

Yes, they cook down, but not that much. I get a small ham and two bunches of kale. With a starch (like potatoes) that will last the 5 of us at least 2 meals. One bunch we'd eat in a day and maybe have leftovers for lunch.

You can use it as a broth base and then make a ham and veggie soup for a meal. I save and roast ham bones, make a broth, and then use like chicken broth. Depending on how much ham is on the bone, you could do more like make a hash with the ham bits, or even put BBQ sauce on it like pulled pork.

Ham Casserole

1 c. diced ham

6oz medium egg noodles (boiled & drained)

1/3 c. diced onion

1/4 c. diced bell pepper

1 c. shredded cheddar cheese

1 tsp. salt

1/2 c, milk

1/2 c. mayo (or salad dressing)

1 can cream of mushroom soup.

Mix everything together and bake at 450* for 20 minutes

If I don't have the bell pepper and onion I just leave it out.