• twin girls
    • twin boys
    • boy-girl twins
    • triplets
    • quads or higher order multiples
    • Irish twins - singles less than a year apart
    • other

I consider you a mother of twins too. I'm so sorry. :grouphug:

Thank you. This really means a lot to me.

I always hate the question "How may kids do you have?"

Or my 13 yo will tell her friends "I am an identical twin, I lost my twin at birth, but I can feel her"......Makes my heart break.

FTR, I had Monoamnionic/Monochorionic twins. Wondering if there is anyone on this thread that had MOMO twins?(Twins in the same sac). Very rare.

I was pregnant with twins, lost one early on in the pregnancy - carried my son (now 14) to term. We never told my daughter that I had been pregnant with twins and miscarried, but after my son was born she walked into the room and said "where is the girl" and we told her that the baby is a boy not a girl - she then again asked "where is the girl." It took her a bit to realize that she was only getting a little brother this time around. She was 3.5 years old at the time.

T

How many of you with boy/girl twins have had people ask if they are "identical" twins?? I seem to get that question a lot .:tongue_smilie:

Obviously I don't get this one, but I get asked if my girls are triplets all. the. time. There is a 3.5 year age difference! I can see it more so these days since the younger two are almost as tall as the oldest...but when they were two and 6...uh not so much! :lol:

What is the funniest is when I take my girls and my nieces out together. One of my nieces really DOES look like she could be a triplet to my twins. Add in my older dd who looks a lot like them too...we get stares.

Thank you. This really means a lot to me.

I always hate the question "How may kids do you have?"

Or my 13 yo will tell her friends "I am an identical twin, I lost my twin at birth, but I can feel her"......Makes my heart break.

FTR, I had Monoamnionic/Monochorionic twins. Wondering if there is anyone on this thread that had MOMO twins?(Twins in the same sac). Very rare.

So sorry :grouphug:

My girls were one level away from MOMO. The had just the inner membrane separating them, but shared the outer sack and placenta. They were watched SO closely throughout my pregnancy.

My oldest dd was a twin also, but I lost the twin very early...we would have never even known if I hadn't had an early ultrasound. She knows about it and has said she wished her twin had lived :(

So sorry :grouphug:

My girls were one level away from MOMO. The had just the inner membrane separating them, but shared the outer sack and placenta. They were watched SO closely throughout my pregnancy.

My oldest dd was a twin also, but I lost the twin very early...we would have never even known if I hadn't had an early ultrasound. She knows about it and has said she wished her twin had lived :(

:grouphug: I am so very sorry for your loss.

This is what my 13 yo says all the time. It breaks my heart. She tells me she can "see" Kari(my other twins name). At 5 yo she came to me and said Kari had visited her in the middle of the night. And that she told her that she died so she could live.

Funny, is that is so true. Because MOMO's share the same sac and placenta, if one dies you cannot carry the other to term.(Toxins would have spread to my other daughter and she would have died as well) My daughter that passed away was very sick throughout the pregnancy and the Dr's didn't even really know it until she was born. She had a very, very thin cord. And was never meant to be in this world. But she hung on long enough for my other daughter to survive.(29.w 6/d). If she would have passed away anywhere prior to 25w, my other daughter may not be here.

Path reports showed that my daughter died from Hydrops, TTTS, and Congestive Heart Failure. They were 3 hours from becoming conjoined. That really made my mouth drop open.

My daughter has always been aware that she is a surviving twin. We didn't want to hide it from her. Someday we knew that she would see her birth certificate and it lists "twin". And she is also buried with my grandmother. And I know she would ask questions as to why her sister has the date on the gravestone as her own birthday. I didn't want it to come as a surprise to her.

The only thing I have not done is shown her the picture of Kari. It is a horrible looking picture, and I know it would scare her. I cried and cried when I got that picture of her. She was a beautiful baby,of course. But the picture the hospital took was terrible. It gave me nightmares.

My heart goes out to those who have lost a twin, or even a triplet etc.....It is so hard. Sometimes, I still cry. Especially when I look at my daughter knowing this is exactly how my other daughter would look. And when my 13 yo has milestones, and her sister is not here for it. Plus, my older daughter is 19, and my son is 22. So she is like an only child. I am so thankful that my 19 yo and her are very close now. They never used to be.

When I found out I was having twins, I was shocked. But so happy knowing she would have a sibling close to her age. When they couldn't find a membrane, they offered selective reduction. I refused. I am so glad I did not do that. God gave me twins for a reason, and took one away for a reason as well.

:grouphug: To any of you who have lost a multiple. Or even both, triplets, one or two of triplets, etc.:grouphug:

Sorry for the ramble.

Edited by dancer67

I have identical 8yr old girls. We did the DNA testing when they were 3 weeks because we were curious. They had two placentas (no fusing) and the same blood type so nobody could tell for sure w/out DNA testing. I'm glad we did it because now that they are older I don't think they look alike anymore. I'd probably have convinced myself they were fraternal.

Those of you who clearly had 1 placenta have identicals- no testing needed. Fraternals always have 2 placentas and the placenta testing done at the hospital would have been to see if they had fused into 1. If the testing found two or they still can't tell if it is 1 or 2, then you have to have DNA testing to know the twin type. If the testing finds 1, then they are identical.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/twin-pregnancy/PR00120

My OB told me that he thinks my first son was a twin as well because I delivered an extra placenta or the placenta had an extra sac or something like that. We never tested it and don't know for sure. I was a little out of it when he was telling me about it in the delivery room and didn't want to think about it at my 6wk appt, so I don't know.

Edited by Paige

I have boy-girl twins who will be 9 in October.

Something I always thought was really cute. I joined the local moms-of-multiples group in our city when I was pregnant with my twins. Every 2-3 years they came out with a t-shirt members could buy. The last one I bought had 9 (cartoonish) babies on the front - arranged to represent twins, triplets, and quads. The quote below said,

"Who said I'm bad at math? Look how I multiplied."

Blessings,

Laura

:grouphug: Wow. That brought tears to my eyes. I bet she does feel her!

It is especially hard when she sees identical twin girls, and often asks me what it would have been like.

I still consider myself very blessed. The odds were stacked against my surviving twin. All the Dr's said she would have a brain bleed, high probablity of blindness, and her PT told me she had Cerbral Palsy.

None of the above happened. PTL! Now, she is an average teenager, but still skinny as ever. 100 pounds if that.............LOL. Far cry from the 2 lb 14 oz preemie who I used to dress in doll clothes and give her a bath in a cereal bowl!

:grouphug: thank you for listening.

Boy/girl twins, 12 years old. However, DS is so much bigger than his twin sister that most people don't realize they are twins.

I think this will end up being the case with us. At birth, Caleb was 6lbs 3oz, and Lynndi was 4lbs 10oz -- a little over a pound and a half difference. Now, at 21 months, they are 6lbs different! (And my niece who is 3 months older than them is right between them weight and height-wise. LOL) I suspect that our twin questions and fun with strangers will end in just a few more years. I figure I'll be amused while it lasts. :tongue_smilie:

How many of you with boy/girl twins have had people ask if they are "identical" twins?? I seem to get that question a lot .:tongue_smilie:

I get it all the time. "All but that one little part" is my favorite answer.

I still consider myself a mom of identical twin girls. I lost one at birth, in 1998. My survivor is 13 yo. I voted "other" for this reason.

I consider you a mom of twins also! Thank you for voting and for sharing your story! My heart goes out to all who have lost children EVER, the one twin losses (or multiple - saw the triplet mom of "twin" daughters response up there also!!) pulling at my emotions especially.

There are three of us from high school who were all in band together, all played drums - who had twins within a year of each other. Our guy friend was first; his were born in November of 2009. My twins were next, in September of 2010, and our other friend -- one of my best friends from school, maid of honor at my wedding - her b/g twins were born 3 months early in November of 2010. Baby girl passed away 2 weeks later of a severe stomach infection they just couldn't get a handle on.

In my mind and heart, my friend will ALWAYS be mom to twins and my heart breaks for her even now over a year later and I pray often for her and her peace and her family and her baby boy who will forever miss his sister. Tearing up typing this, but I think my friend has a hard time talking to me any more. We hadn't been close for a while before babies came around anyway, but when she found out she was expecting twins she got in touch with me (hard to do at the time as I didn't have a computer, or a phone, or...) and we had a connection. I think she has a hard time after her loss, seeing my twins and hearing about our lives. I pray one day we will be close again, but I don't push her for it. I do get it, and one day I hope I can let her know in a way that won't feel to her like anything upsetting or offensive, but out of love.

And totally don't know why I just went into all of that. Anyway....

"Who said I'm bad at math? Look how I multiplied."

:lol::lol:

No twins, but my boys are 4 months apart. One's blond and one's Haitian, so we've never gotten any of the twin comments. :tongue_smilie:

:lol::lol:

I voted "other". I don't have twins... but I am a twin. :001_smile: The oldest (ladies first) with a younger twin brother.

Hi there! Thanks for posting!

We've been thinking about having the boys tested to see if they are identical. They were di/di, so most likely fraternal, but they look really, REALLY alike, and I know sometimes di/di twins are identical. They are crazy similar though. Like I mix them up sometimes. Their grandparents can't tell them apart. One of these days we'll get around to doing the test.

Our b/g twins are 5.5 and their big sister is 14 months older. I often get asked if they are triplets because they are almost the same height. But when I explain to people which ones are the twins, they often ask if they are identical, or comment on how much alike they look. Nope, they really don't, and in fact their personalities couldn't be more polar opposite. I don't think they have a typical close twin relationship even. They have each always been more drawn to big sis than each other.

:grouphug: I'm so sorry for you multiple moms who lost a baby. :grouphug:

On the fraternal/identical thing. I was in charge of multiples group for a long time and I remember the identical twins always lost their teeth, well, identically. At least in that group and twin set after twin set they lost them down to the day of each other it seemed. Teeth seem to be very genetic.

Might add to your poll, for same gender sets - identical or fraternal. My boys are fraternal. They each take after a different side of the family. When folks learn I have twins, they think it is one of the boys and one of my singleton girls, who look more alike than the actual twins!

Twins will be 21 in Sept. Since one of them is SillyAutismMan (and the other my Honors Chemistry College Man) they could not be more different! From toddlerhood on, as one twin advanced and the other did not, it has NOT been like having twins in any typical "twinnish" way. They just happened to be born at the same time.

My boys are night and day different too--both in looks and personality. I do still get asked if they are twins but I can't figure out how people know! I guess they are still close enough in height perhaps.

I still can't believe I get to post a response on a twin thread! Wonder how long it will take for it to sink in that I have twins??

My b/g twins will be 9mo this week, 7-7.5 months adjusted.

I've lost a twin (very early) with 4 other pregnancies and miss each of those babies terribly, especially now that I have two surviving twins. It was terrible for me to talk with NICU parents who lost a twin. :(

They are going to be 12yo on 12/12/12. We are going to have a big party:D

How fun and exciting! Take pictures! :D What a blast that will be!!!

I still can't believe I get to post a response on a twin thread! Wonder how long it will take for it to sink in that I have twins??

My b/g twins will be 9mo this week, 7-7.5 months adjusted.

I've lost a twin (very early) with 4 other pregnancies and miss each of those babies terribly, especially now that I have two surviving twins. It was terrible for me to talk with NICU parents who lost a twin. :(

I'm so sorry for your losses... and congratulations on the birth of your little ones! Are they doing well?

And did I understand that you have had 4 pregnancies, all were twins to start, and so are missing 4 angel babies who have living twin siblings?? Wow. Blessings on you, woman!

And then I read your siggy and see that you are missing so many more babies than that, with more kids here on earth than that calculated to as well. What a family you have! :heart:

My 8yo identical twin girls took a 50-question grammar test in separate rooms this year and missed the EXACT 5 (random) questions each.

I was marveling over it, and one of them said to me, "Mom, that's not unusual. We have the same teacher, you know!" :lol:

Their teeth are usually within a day or 2 of each other.

My 6yo boy is exactly the same size they are, though, so we get a lot of triplet comments - he's 1 lb. heavier and 1 shoe size bigger, and - exactly the same size. Funny.

And did I understand that you have had 4 pregnancies, all were twins to start, and so are missing 4 angel babies who have living twin siblings??

I've conceived twins 5 times. Of those I have one take-home set of twins, lost one twin in three other pregnances, and had a double whammy uterine/ectopic loss of twins. I finally asked God to please not let me conceive twins again and was really, really upset when I found out it was twins this last time. I was 100% certain Baby B was not going to make it due to a SCH and when my water broke at 31 weeks I was more than a little angry with God, wondering why He would let me get that far in a twin pregnancy only to lose one if not both babies. I'm still in shock that they are both here. :)

So yes, lots of angel babies whom I miss very much even though my life is full of lots of earth babies.

"Mom, that's not unusual. We have the same teacher, you know!"
:lol:

:grouphug: I'm so sorry for you multiple moms who lost a baby. :grouphug:

On the fraternal/identical thing. I was in charge of multiples group for a long time and I remember the identical twins always lost their teeth, well, identically. At least in that group and twin set after twin set they lost them down to the day of each other it seemed. Teeth seem to be very genetic.

My boys are night and day different too--both in looks and personality. I do still get asked if they are twins but I can't figure out how people know! I guess they are still close enough in height perhaps.

Well I get asked all the time if I have triplets, and my oldest is 2.5 years older and has no genetic relationship to her brothers. They look nothing alike other than all having blonde hair (DD has blue eyes, a slender build fine/straight hair, and runs and jumps like a 4yo. The twins have hazel eyes, crazy curly hair, and, well, they toddle like toddlers.) I've gotten the "triplet" question since the boys were tiny infants who couldn't lift their heads and DD was a nearly 3yo. It is actually less stupid now. It was absurd when I was pushing the three of them in a triple stroller last year - DD had legs hanging nearly to the pavement and the boys were curled up in little newborn balls. It could just be that people assume "twins" or "triplets" for any set of near-in-age sibs.

Mine haven't lost any teeth yet obviously, but they ALWAYS cut teeth at the same time as each other. Usually within hours. There personalities are slightly different, but still somewhat similar. I can't tell them apart unless I can look at their faces or pick them up. They have always had a 1-2 lb weight difference though. The same twin has been heavier since birth (he weighed 6lb 11oz at birth, the smaller twin weighed 5lb 11oz)

Edited by AdventureMoms

My girls are identical and 1 lost her first tooth a year before the other one. Her next 3 teeth came out well before her sister lost her matching tooth as well but the spacing each time decreased. Their baby teeth came in at about the same time, but I wouldn't say teeth coming in or going out are a reliable way to tell if they are identical. We also have 1 who is either allergic to dairy or very intolerant and one who is perfectly fine eating dairy. The one who can't eat dairy was given some formula in the NICU and the other one never had any formula. Also, one is taller than the other now, their hair falls and waves differently, and they have different freckles and birthmarks.

I've conceived twins 5 times. Of those I have one take-home set of twins, lost one twin in three other pregnances, and had a double whammy uterine/ectopic loss of twins. I finally asked God to please not let me conceive twins again and was really, really upset when I found out it was twins this last time. I was 100% certain Baby B was not going to make it due to a SCH and when my water broke at 31 weeks I was more than a little angry with God, wondering why He would let me get that far in a twin pregnancy only to lose one if not both babies. I'm still in shock that they are both here. :)

So yes, lots of angel babies whom I miss very much even though my life is full of lots of earth babies.

Wow, momma. You are gonna have one awesome reunion in heaven one day. :grouphug:

We have the same teacher, you know!"

:lol::lol::lol: