1. 1. Multiples?

• twin girls
    • twin boys
    • boy-girl twins
    • triplets
    • quads or higher order multiples
    • Irish twins - singles less than a year apart
    • other

My 5yos are 3 mos apart. (Both adopted on the same day.)

I wondered how many answers like this there are! Awesome!

I have an online friend who was set for adoption and then had her miracle pregnancy. Those babies were only 3 months apart as well. The adoption didn't take place, but I wondered how different her answers to the millions of questions multiple mommies get would be from mine. :001_cool:

What did you vote? Irish twins or other? So fun!!

ETA only one vote for other, and we have one who admitted doing it so she could see the votes. :giggle: Guess you voted Irish, which is what I'd have encouraged you to do. That's fun!

I wondered how many answers like this there are! Awesome!

I have an online friend who was set for adoption and then had her miracle pregnancy. Those babies were only 3 months apart as well. The adoption didn't take place, but I wondered how different her answers to the millions of questions multiple mommies get would be from mine. :001_cool:

What did you vote? Irish twins or other? So fun!!

ETA only one vote for other, and we have one who admitted doing it so she could see the votes. :giggle: Guess you voted Irish, which is what I'd have encouraged you to do. That's fun!

I am very frequently asked if the girls are twins. One person even asked if I'd had their DNA checked to see if they were identical. :lol: But the un-funny part is that when they find they aren't twins, they say "oh, they aren't sisters?" :glare:

ps, yes, I said "Irish twins." Some people call these "virtual twins" or something like that, but I figure life is complicated enough.

I have an online friend who was set for adoption and then had her miracle pregnancy. Those babies were only 3 months apart as well.

A couple in our area adopted twins and got pregnant while waiting for the twins to come home. I can't remember the exact age difference, but it is only months. Oh my goodness.

I am very frequently asked if the girls are twins. One person even asked if I'd had their DNA checked to see if they were identical. :lol: But the un-funny part is that when they find they aren't twins, they say "oh, they aren't sisters?" :glare:

ps, yes, I said "Irish twins." Some people call these "virtual twins" or something like that, but I figure life is complicated enough.

People sometimes just don't get how insensitive they are being! I have the issue of wanting to educate every stupid person I come across. Problem is there's too many of them. :tongue_smilie::lol:

I get "are they twins" all the time, and then, "are they identical?" Um, all but that one little part? :confused: And yes, I say that every now and then, just to be a horse's rear. I know it's not nice and makes people feel dumb, but I do try to keep it to conversations where I think it will make the person laugh and not get embarrassed or angry. Usually.;)

And yeah, there's a ton of "types" of twins, but I figured the poll was long enough without listing them all. Besides, it's past my bedtime.

I'm happy with how many responses there are already. I bet there are a ton more. :) And I bet you are not the only one with one or both of your set being adopted! And I'm sure we have some foster mommas with kids very close in age as well. Excited to see how many and who all is here! Not sure why I hadn't thought of doing this poll before now. :001_smile:

A couple in our area adopted twins and got pregnant while waiting for the twins to come home. I can't remember the exact age difference, but it is only months. Oh my goodness.

My sister's baby girl just turned 2 in May. You should see the three kids all together. It's... fun. :D

We have at least one triplet mama who has already answered as well!!

I have boy/ girl twins who are almost 13. (Boy, do I feel old!) I still get the "Are they identical?" question All. The. Time.

My kids just look at me and roll their eyes when it happens.

My son thinks we should just start answering "yes".:001_smile:

Might add to your poll, for same gender sets - identical or fraternal. My boys are fraternal. They each take after a different side of the family. When folks learn I have twins, they think it is one of the boys and one of my singleton girls, who look more alike than the actual twins!

Twins will be 21 in Sept. Since one of them is SillyAutismMan (and the other my Honors Chemistry College Man) they could not be more different! From toddlerhood on, as one twin advanced and the other did not, it has NOT been like having twins in any typical "twinnish" way. They just happened to be born at the same time.

Edited by JFSinIL

Fraternaltwin boys, eight years old.

I don't get asked if they are identical, not even when they were little. They look so different. I do get asked if they are twins pretty often, because they are about the same height. One has blonde hair and the face from my side of the family, the other has brown hair and the face from my DH side of the family.

Irish twins. My two youngest are 9 months and 1 day apart. She is adopted and he is not. We weren't supposed to be able to have any more after our third, but my fourth son showed up right between our two adopted girls. :001_smile:

7 yo boys. I keep meaning to have them tested to find out their twin status definitively. Anyone done that?

Mine tested the placental slides from the lab and came back inconclusive to identical/fraternal (they were in separate sacks, one placenta) BUT he watched for physical clues that they were identical. For instance they both sucked thumbs just opposite hands. Their hair parts opposite directions, their finger prints are reverse of each other, etc.. finally at two he said it was evident that they were mirror identical and no need for bloodwork. They have always been within 6ozs of each other weight wise, look REALLY identical.

How many of you with boy/girl twins have had people ask if they are "identical" twins?? I seem to get that question a lot .:tongue_smilie:

I look a lot like my brother who is 3.5 years older than me. His wife told me that before she knew us better, she thought we might be identical twins. :001_huh:

Mine tested the placental slides from the lab and came back inconclusive to identical/fraternal (they were in separate sacks, one placenta) BUT he watched for physical clues that they were identical. For instance they both sucked thumbs just opposite hands. Their hair parts opposite directions, their finger prints are reverse of each other, etc.. finally at two he said it was evident that they were mirror identical and no need for bloodwork. They have always been within 6ozs of each other weight wise, look REALLY identical.

This stuff is so fascinating to me. Mine were also separate sacs and single placenta. We were a planned homebirth (but ended up a transport) so we didn't have much testing done before or after. The ob told us after that they were fraternal because he'd "read the placenta" and it had the membrane to indicate it was originally two. That seemed to support the idea that twins run in my family... but now I know from reading about it that that's complete bunk and the only way to know apart from very clear markers like what you're talking about, is to get the testing done.

My boys are also always within a pound or two and half an inch or less of each other. They sort of look different, but I feel like it's mostly that they have radically different haircuts. Otherwise they look identical.

One of the things I really question is whether if I find out that they're identical if it will make me see them and their capabilities differently. Right now, they're so different in many ways - in learning style, personality, and so forth. They have very different strengths and weaknesses academically. I wonder if I found out that they were identical if I would see that through a different lens and whether that would be positive or negative.

This stuff is so fascinating to me. Mine were also separate sacs and single placenta. We were a planned homebirth (but ended up a transport) so we didn't have much testing done before or after. The ob told us after that they were fraternal because he'd "read the placenta" and it had the membrane to indicate it was originally two. That seemed to support the idea that twins run in my family... but now I know from reading about it that that's complete bunk and the only way to know apart from very clear markers like what you're talking about, is to get the testing done.

My boys are also always within a pound or two and half an inch or less of each other. They sort of look different, but I feel like it's mostly that they have radically different haircuts. Otherwise they look identical.

One of the things I really question is whether if I find out that they're identical if it will make me see them and their capabilities differently. Right now, they're so different in many ways - in learning style, personality, and so forth. They have very different strengths and weaknesses academically. I wonder if I found out that they were identical if I would see that through a different lens and whether that would be positive or negative.

mine went through a stage where they looked different and I thought "wow, what if we are wrong and they aren't identical" BUT it was due to one sucking her thumb three years longer and changing her palate shape. Her teeth protruded more than her sisters and it changed her smile, etc.. Now that the front teeth are missing they look exactly the same again ha ha. Learning wise, mine are right together there. One may learn a concept a day or two ahead but never way ahead. They will answer random questions with the same random answers as well.

7 yo boys. I keep meaning to have them tested to find out their twin status definitively. Anyone done that?

Yes, we did that when our girls were infants. I think it cost around $100. We are now 99.9457% positive that they are identical twins.