Menu

Book a Week in 2012 - Week 21

Good Morning, my lovelies! Today is the start of week 21 in our quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Welcome back to all our readers, welcome to all those just joining in and to all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 books blog to link to your reviews.

52 Books Blog - Modernism: Talking about literary style modernism. If you've read James Joyce's Portrait of a Young Artist, Virginia Woolf's To The Lighthouse or other modernist authors you've had the joy of reading stream of consciousness narrative. It takes a bit of getting used too, being pulled into the mind of characters whose thoughts go from here to there and back again. It can be amusing, exasperating, mind expanding or make your brain explode,:lol: depending on the story.

Modernism mini challenge: I've had The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald on the shelves for a few years now and for some reason have never gotten around to reading it. I seem to be stuck at G and H in my A to Z Challenge because there are a few interesting books on my shelves that struck my fancy. And it's also on SWB's list of books to read from the Well Educated Mind. So.... My quest will be to start reading The Great Gatsby this week. Who wants to join me?

What are you reading this week?

Link to week 20

Edited by Mytwoblessings

9780345522474.jpg9781439173084.jpg9780451191137.jpg9780060959685.jpg

Hey, Lizzie, thanks for raving about the Iron Druid Chronicles. I finished the first book, Hounded, today & enjoyed it. It's a super fun fantasy romp & perfect as a summer read, imo.

I'm still working on Blue Nude and Anthem.

I've also started The Dancing Wu Li Masters by Gary Zukav.

From amazon.com:

"At an Esalen Institute meeting in 1976, tai chi master Al Huang said that the Chinese word for physics is
Wu Li
, "patterns of organic energy." Journalist Gary Zukav and the others present developed the idea of physics as the dance of the Wu Li Masters--the teachers of physical essence. Zukav explains the concept further:

The Wu Li Master dances with his student. The Wu Li Master does not teach, but the student learns. The Wu Li Master always begins at the center, the heart of the matter.... This book deals not with knowledge, which is always past tense anyway, but with imagination, which is physics come alive, which is Wu Li.... Most people believe that physicists are explaining the world. Some physicists even believe that, but the Wu Li Masters know that they are only dancing with it.

The "new physics" of Zukav's 1979 book comprises quantum theory, particle physics, and relativity. Even as these theories age they haven't percolated all that far into the collective consciousness; they're too far removed from mundane human experience not to need introduction.
The Dancing Wu Li Masters
remains an engaging, accessible way to meet the most profound and mind-altering insights of 20th-century science."

----------------------------

More interesting choices from stacia to add to my wishlist.

Oh! Am I first?! Maybe if I type fast enough :D I finished The Sword of Shanara by Terry Brooks last night. I am a huge fan of fantasy and have been meaning to read these for quite some time. I was hugely disappointed in the first half of the book. I really didn't get pulled into the characters or their struggle at all. The second half did pick up a bit that I finally cared what was going to happen but I still felt a detachment to the characters. I will probably read the other two books in the first trilogy but not anytime soon. This first book certainly wasn't the caliber of Robert Jordan and David Eddings whose characters are your "friends." I think this is Book #19 for me.

Hmmm... I will think about reading The Great Gatsby. I tried it in high school and hated it, didn't finish it. I wouldn't mind giving it another try. ETA: Nope. I can't make myself do it.

I've been reading more of the Song of the Lioness series by Tamora Pierce and have finished the second and third books in the series.

35.) In the Hands of the Goddess and 36.) The Woman Who Rides Like a Man.

I also finished number 37.) Walden and Civil Disobedience by Henry David Thoreau. There was great insight in this book about books and education, not to mention life in general. I thought things moved away from romantic and/or wise and towards slightly crazy when he started talking about sleeping with wasps and letting mice run up his pant legs. It made me think, There are probably some other awful things he's not telling me. It was a great book I'd like to read again sometime.

Hey, Robin, I guess I don't have to post my current reading since you've already done it for me. :lol: I actually saw the Wu Li book mentioned on another thread here (about non-fiction reading).

Actually, I've set Blue Nude aside for right now. It's really lovely, truly artistic, but it's also a bit brooding. W/ the way my real life has been for the past couple of months, I need to skip brooding for right now. I'll definitely pick up the book again, but maybe in colder weather. However, I guess I'll remain somewhat in brooding territory since my book club is reading Wuthering Heights. :tongue_smilie: (I need to get started on it soon!)

So, I'm still working on The Dancing Wu Li Masters and Anthem.

52 Books Blog - Modernism: Talking about literary style modernism. If you've read James Joyce's Portrait of a Young Artist, Virginia Woolf's To The Lighthouse or other modernist authors you've had the joy of reading stream of consciousness narrative. It takes a bit of getting used too, being pulled into the mind of characters whose thoughts go from here to there and back again. It can be amusing, exasperating, mind expanding or make your brain explode,:lol: depending on the story.

:D Ohhhhhhh, fun! Of course, I tend to love extremely modern literature. (Does the term "Modernism" really apply only to those authors around the 1920s & 30s -- or does the term still apply to writers who are producing new novels even today?) Probably won't hop into The Great Gatsby right now (I read it a long time ago), but it could be fun esp. since Leonardo DiCaprio, Carey Mulligan, & Tobey McGuire are filming the movie these days.

3D-Adaptation-Movie-The-Great-Gatsby-01.jpg

I thought things moved away from romantic and/or wise and towards slightly crazy when he started talking about sleeping with wasps and letting mice run up his pant legs. It made me think, There are probably some other awful things he's not telling me. It was a great book I'd like to read again sometime.

:lol: I need to read this.

----------------------------

My Goodreads Page

Completed the Europa Challenge Cappuccino Level (at least 6 Europa books: #s 4, 9, 10, 11, 14, 19, & 21 on my list).

Completed Robin's Read a Russian Author in April Challenge (#24 & #26 on my list).

My rating system: 5 = Love; 4 = Pretty awesome; 3 = Decently good; 2 = Ok; 1 = Don't bother (I shouldn't have any 1s on my list as I would ditch them before finishing)...

2012 Books Read:

01. Mozart's Last Aria by Matt Rees (3 stars)

02. Oh No She Didn't by Clinton Kelly (2 stars, if you're in the right mood, lol)

03. The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt (4 stars)

04. In a Strange Room by Damon Galgut (4 stars)

05. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling (5 stars)

06. The Infernals by John Connolly (3 stars)

07. Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto (2 stars)

08. The Coral Thief by Rebecca Stott (3 stars)

09. Zeroville by Steve Erickson (4.5 stars)

10. Broken Glass Park by Alina Bronsky (4 stars)

11. Hygiene and the Assassin by AmĂƒÂ©lie Nothomb (2 stars)

12. The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner (3 stars)

13. The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall (4 stars)

14. The Nun by Simonetta Agnello Hornby (4 stars)

15. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (5 stars)

16. The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim (3 stars)

17. The Devotion of Suspect X by Keigo Higashino (3 stars)

18. The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt by Caroline Preston (3 stars)

19. Cooking with Fernet Branca by James Hamilton-Paterson (4 stars)

20. Stone Junction by Jim Dodge (3 stars)

21. Clash of Civilizations Over an Elevator in Piazza Vittorio by Amara Lakhous (3 stars)

22. Colony by Hugo Wilcken (5 stars)

23. Swimming to Antarctica by Lynne Cox (3 stars)

24. The Master & Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (4.5 stars)

25. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (3 stars)

26. The Dream Life of Sukhanov by Olga Grushin (4 stars)

27. Vanishing Point by David Markson (3 stars)

28. I Am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley (4 stars)

29. The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man by Mark Hodder (4 stars)

30. Unclutter Your Life in One Week by Erin Rooney Doland (2 stars)

31. Hounded by Kevin Hearne (4 stars)

I read 4 books last week- still just in love with Gaudy Night.

I started The Harbinger- interesting look at Isaiah and 9/11 but I'm bogging down with it. The Biblical prophecy is interesting but the conclusions are obvious.

Started Technopoly by Neil Postman. Amusing Oursleves to Death is a must read imho, and I'm curious to see what Postman has to say next.

It's been several weeks since I had time to write about the books I've been reading. Here are the last 5 books I've finished and finally reviewed this week:

17. Inkheart by Funke

16. Henry V by Shakespeare

15. Sir Gawain and the Green Knight by Tolkien

14. Drumbeats in Williamsburg by Lawrence

13. A Spy in Williamsburg by Lawrence

Up next is Dante's The Divine Comedy: The Inferno, Shakespeare's Richard III, Inkspell by Funke, and another book by Aiken in the Wolves of Willoughby Chase series.

Books for 2012:

12. The Boggart and the Monster by Cooper

11. Macbeth by Shakespeare

10. The Boggart by Cooper

9. The History of the Kings of Britain by Monmouth

8. The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Aiken

7. Winning His Spurs by Henty

6. The Song of Roland by Sayers

5. Sink Reflections by Cilley

4. A Midsummer's Night Dream by Shakespeare

3. Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Verne

2. Beowulf by Heaney

1. Cut Your Grocery Bill in Half by Economides

No shame. I have several in progress and was still compelled to begin three more, only one of which I finished -- The Wave, the plot of which some of you may remember from the one-hour "tv special" in the early '80s.

Just started:

â–  The Fault in Our Stars (John Green; YA fiction)

â–  Bringing up Bebe (Pamela Druckerman; non-fiction)

*Still* in progress (for a while, apparently):

â–  The Shallows (Nicholas Carr; non-fiction)

â–  Quiet (Susan Cain; non-fiction)

â–  Kill Shakespeare, Vol. 1 (Conor McCreery; YA fiction)

In progress:

â–  The Iceman Cometh (Eugene O'Neill; play)

â–  The Devil All the Time (Donald Ray Pollock; fiction)

â–  Exposure (Mal Peet; YA fiction)

Completed this year:

â–  The Wave (Todd Strasser; YA fiction)

â–  When You Were Mine (Rebecca Serle; YA fiction)

â–  Are You My Mother? (Alison Bechdel; graphic memoir)

â–  First Love (Ivan Turgenev; fiction)

â–  The Night Bookmobile (Audrey Niffenegger; graphic novel)

â–  Retirement without Borders (Barry Golson; non-fiction)

â–  The World's Top Retirement Havens (ed. Margaret J. Goldstein; non-fiction)

â–  Let's Go: Peru, Ecuador & Bolivia (ed. Michelle R. Bowman; non-fiction)

â–  The Lifeboat (Charlotte Rogan; fiction)

â–  iDisorder: Understanding Our Obsession with Technology and Overcoming Its Hold on Us (Larry D. Rosen; non-fiction, psychology/technology)

â–  The Difference (Jean Chatzky; non-fiction, personal finance)

â–  The Pen Commandments (Steven Frank; non-fiction, writing)

â–  Timon of Athens (William Shakespeare; play)

â–  Going Bovine (Libba Bray; YA fiction)

â–  The Memory Palace (Mira BartĂƒÂ³k; memoir)

â–  Mr. Monster (Dan Wells; fiction)

â–  I Don't Want to Kill You (Dan Wells; fiction)

â–  The Fiddler in the Subway (Gene Weingarten; non-fiction, journalism/essays)

â–  The Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins; fiction)

â–  The Taming of the Shrew (William Shakespeare; play)

â–  The Power of Habit (Charles Duhigg; non-fiction)

â–  Unpacking My Library: Writers and Their Books (Leah Price; non-fiction)

â–  Sister (Rosamund Lupton; fiction)

â–  The Scarlet Pimpernel (Baroness Emmuska Orczy; fiction)

â–  Immortal Bird (Doron Weber; memoir)

â–  Defending Jacob (William Landay; fiction)

â–  Sweet Tooth Vol. 4: Endangered Species (Jeff Lemire; graphic fiction)

â–  Sweet Tooth Vol. 3: Animal Armies (Jeff Lemire; graphic fiction)

â–  Sweet Tooth Vol. 2: In Captivity (Jeff Lemire; graphic fiction)

â–  Sweet Tooth Vol. 1: Out of the Woods (Jeff Lemire; graphic fiction)

â–  The Art of Hearing Heartbeats (Jan-Philipp Sendker; fiction)

â–  Thirteen Reasons Why (Jay Asher; YA fiction)

â–  Stop Acting Rich... And Start Living Like a Real Millionaire (Thomas J. Stanley; non-fiction; personal finance)

â–  Our Town (Thornton Wilder; play)

â–  Wool 5 (Hugh Howey; fiction)

â–  The Crucible (Arthur Miller; play)

â–  Wool 4 (Hugh Howey; fiction)

â–  Wool 3 (Hugh Howey; fiction)

â–  Adventure Unleashed (______ __. _________; unpublished fiction)

â–  Wool 2 (Hugh Howey; fiction)

â–  Wool (Hugh Howey; fiction)

â–  The Project (Brian Falkner; YA fiction)

â–  Like Shaking Hands with God (Kurt Vonnegut, Lee Stringer; non-fiction)

â–  The Autobiography of an Execution (David R. Dow; non-fiction)

â–  Feed (MT Anderson; fiction)

â–  Coriolanus (William Shakespeare; play)

â–  Artist's Journal Workshop (Cathy Johnson; non-fiction, art)

â–  The English Teacher (Lily King; fiction)

This week I was completely enchanted by The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. Lovely book. Currently reading the last Sisters Grimm Book, The Council of Mirrors (yes, I'll be counting a kid book. Love the series). And of course I'm still reading Anna Karenina. It's on the Kindle in my purse, ready to go whenever I have a few minutes to read.

Books Read in 2012 (* = contenders for my 2012 Top Ten)

37. The Night Circus-Erin Morgenstern*

36. Houskeeping-Marilynne Robinson

35. Death Comes to Pemberley-P.D. James

34. The Language of Flowers-Vanessa Diffenbaugh*

33. The Peach Keeper-Sarah Addison Allen

32. 11/22/63-Stephen King*

31. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer-Mark Twain

30. Quiet-Susan Cain*

29. The Paris Wife-Paula McLain

28. The Girl Who Chased the Moon-Sarah Addison Allen

27. The Feast Nearby-Robin Mather

26. The Sugar Queen-Sarah Addison Allen

25. The Invention of Hugo Cabret-Brian Selznick

24. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks-Rebecca Skloot*

23. The Hunger Games-Suzanne Collins

22. Not a Fan-Kyle Idleman

21. Wildwood-Colin Meloy

20. Miss PeregrineĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Home for Peculiar Children-Ransom Riggs

19. The Mysterious Affair at Styles-Agatha Christie

18. A String in the Harp-Nancy Bond

17. The Art of Hearing Heartbeats-Jan-Philipp Sendker*

16. The Lacuna-Barbara Kingsolver*

15. I Am Half-Sick of Shadows-Alan Bradley

14. Garden Spells-Sarah Addison Allen

13. The Prince and the Pauper-Mark Twain

12. Romeo and Juliet-William Shakespeare

11. The Shallows-Nicholas Carr

10. The HandmaidĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Tale-Margaret Atwood

9. Mudbound-Hillary Jordan*

8. The Other Wind-Ursula Le Guin

7. What the Dog Saw-Malcolm Gladwell

6. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall-Anne Bronte

5. Tehanu-Ursula Le Guin

4. The Scarlet Pimpernel-Baroness Orczy

3. The Paleo Diet-Loren Cordain

2. Peter Pan-James Barrie

1. The Farthest Shore-Ursula Le Guin

This week I read:

Jane-Emily --I wish I'd read this when I was a kid! Lovely creepy ghost story, just right for a 10yo. Recommended to me.

Of This and Other Worlds--nice book of C. S. Lewis essays on literary topics.

I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced--excellent memoir/biography of a young Yemeni girl forced into marriage at just 10 years old. She made headlines by getting to the courthouse and asking the judge to grant her a divorce. Lots of info about child brides.

The Western Lit Survival Kit--funny/irreverent tour through Western Literature, starting with Homer and ending in modern lit. Very fun.

V is for Vengeance--the latest Sue Grafton!

I just finished Dracula last night and am 3/5 of the way through The Old Curiosity Shop. Ooh, and I got this wonderful memoir called Nervous Conditions, but I've only just started it.

This week I introduced myself to Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson by reading A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle. I also read Lethal by Sandra Brown. Predictably, I enjoyed Doyle much more than Brown.

I'm still reading Dr. Zhivago and just started The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. I also tried to read A Big Little Life: Memoir of a Joyful Dog by Dean Koontz but abandoned that rather quickly. If someone thinks it's a can't miss, please, let me know and I'll try it again.

The Great Gatsby sounds like something I'd like to read again. I read it in high school but don't remember much except that the woman's name was Daisy. When does it need to be finished?

My quest will be to start reading The Great Gatsby this week. Who wants to join me?

No way! :001_smile: But I will be eagerly looking forward to what you have to say about it (and any others who read it *with* you).

I finally broke down and read The Great Gatsby a couple years ago and, as I posted that year, it was my least favorite book; a complete waste of time; shallow and boring. I doubt I will ever reread it to see if my opinion changes. :001_smile:

I recall talking that year with someone IRL who is also an avid reader. When he asked me what my favorite book so far that year was, I said I had no answer for that, but I could readily tell him the worst -- after which there was silence, then a quiet, "That's my all-time favorite book." Seems he rereads this book often. For the life of me, I can't see why...

Anyway, I'll be waiting with interest to see what you think. :)

My reading life this year is astonishingly and shamefully slow...

This week I finished:

#23 - Life Among the Savages, by Shirley Jackson. Hilarious - just as the cover art and the back blurb promised. It was laugh-out-loud funny. Though it is fiction, it is based on the real-life experiences - with literary license allowed ;) - of the authors' family -- two young children at the book's beginning and four by the end. Delightfully, realistically FUNNY!

Currently reading:

#24 - Resurrection in May, by Lisa Samson. Christian fiction by an author that generally can be counted upon to deliver easy-reading page-turners with an occasional thought-provoking idea.

Not sure what is up next. Still trying to whittle down my stack of books, and trying really hard to avoid the library in order to accomplish that goal. Not likely to succeed as I've already been thinking about when would be a good time this week to trek to the library and roam the stacks for awhile.:D

This week I read the Night Bookmobile by Audrey Niffenegger then the Death of Ivan Ilych by Tolstoy. They ended up mushing together in my mind. I read The Night Bookmobile because I wanted to and Ivan Ilych as teeny tiny concession to Russian literature. I was thankful it was over quickly. Well, maybe not as quickly Ivan's family might have wished. At least the librarian had some kind of redemption.

Then I read The First Paul by Marcus Borg. He is challenging me.

Today I started The Narnian by Alan Jacobs. It was the only book by him my library has, but I already want to read some others.

Edited by Onceuponatime

Allen Jacobs. It was the only book by him my library has, but I already want to read some others.

Alan Jacobs was one of my college profs--I really like his stuff, too! And if you e-mail him with a comment on his books, he will e-mail you back. I think he recently started working as a technology contributor for The Atlantic.

The Hunger Games

Catching Fire

Mockingjay

The Hunger Games Companion

The Naked Lady Who Stood on Her Head

Spontaneous Happiness

The New Bi-Polar Disorder Survival Guide.

New Hope for People with Bipolar Disorder

The Giver

Unnatural Selection

Breaking Dawn (again)

Top Screwups Doctors Make and How to Avoid Them

Trick or Treatment

Overtreated: Why Too Much Medicine Is Making US Sicker & Poorer

How to Never Look Old Again

How to Never Look Fat Again

Style on a Shoestring

Underneath it All

Sybil Exposed.

11 22 63

Haunted Heart: Life and Times of Stephen King

Oh No She Didn't

Nina Garcia's Look Book

Underneath is All

The Pocket Stylist

What Not to Wear for Every Occasion

What you Wear Can Change Your Life

What Not to Wear

Dress Your Best

Wear This, Toss That

Nothing to Wear

What Should I Wear

The Style Checklist

Style Clinic

Edited by KidsHappen

Little Librarian insisted that I read Betsy-Tacy by Maud Hart Lovelace because she loved it and I had never read it as a child. Great children's book. It was cute and sweet. I highly recommend it to any eight year olds reading this thread. :001_smile:

In progress:

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (ladies book club)

The Secret Adversary (Tommy and Tuppence) by Agatha Christie

Tales of Robin Hood by Tony Allan (read aloud)

Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome (audiobook)

2012 finished books:

57. Betsy-Tacy by Maud Hart Lovelace (*****)

56. The Beekeepers Apprentice by Laurie R. King (****)

55. Death of a Gossip by MC Beaton (****)

54. The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett (**)

53. On Writing by Stephen King (*****)

52. Maus by Art Spiegelman (****)

51. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie (***)

50. The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins (****)

49. The Night Bookmobile by Audrey Niffinegger (*)

48. Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson (***)

47. Casino Royale - James Bond by Ian Fleming (**)

46. A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson - Audiobook (***)

45. The Lucky Shopping Manual by Kim Lenitt (*****)

44. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie (****)

43. Half Moon Investigations by Eoin Colfer - Audiobook (****)

42. Half Magic by Edward Eager (***)

41. Dealing with Dragons by Patricia Wrede - Read Aloud (****)

Books 1 - 40

Amy's Rating System:

***** - Fantastic, couldn't put it down

**** - Very good

*** - Enjoyable but nothing special

** - Not recommended

* - Horrible

Edited by aggieamy

I FINISHED ANNA KARENINA! :hurray:

I am going to read The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making next. Been wanting to read this YA book for awhile. Sounds like a great reprieve after Anna K.

Now that summer is here, I hope to get a lot more reading in; this year I have not read much. I enjoyed The Great Gatsby the two times I have read it and would love an excuse to read it again.

So happy to finally get to post in this thread again!

I LOVED all things F. Scott Fitzgerald in highschool, including The Great Gatsby. I will try to pick that one up at the library this week. I even dressed up as Zelda, his wife, and performed a monologue I wrote as her for my AP junior English class. My teacher was so moved she cried! and then asked me to perform it for the Senior AP English class later in the day. I haven't thought about that in years!

This week I finished The House I Loved by Titania de Rosney. I picked this up at the library strictly because I was attracted to the cover! While I didn't LOVE it, it drew me in and I enjoyed it well enough.

I also read Francine Rivers' Unshaken: Ruth. I have enjoyed this series immensely!

I am still reading The Connected Child as a homestudy assignment. It's a well written book with lots of helpful info regarding helping adopted children adapt to their new family.

And today I picked up Teach Like Your Hair is on Fire based on some comments on these boards this week. It's very interesting and I hope to get some motivation and inspiration from reading it!

So I've read 17 books this year. Hopefully I can do some catching up over the summer and meet the 52 book goal by year end!

Little Librarian insisted that I read Betsy-Tacy by Maud Hart Lovelace because she loved it and I had never read it as a child. Great children's book. It was cute and sweet. I highly recommend it to any eight year olds reading this thread. :001_smile:

In progress:

Betsy-Tacy by Maud Hart Lovelace (recommended by Little Librarian)

The Secret Adversary (Tommy and Tuppence) by Agatha Christie

Tales of Robin Hood by Tony Allan (read aloud)

2012 finished books:

Books 1 - 40

Amy's Rating System:

**** - Very good

** - Not recommended

* - Horrible

I must have missed it when you hit 52. Not even half way through the year and you're past the goal. Hooray!:party:

I should be done with The Long Retreat tomorrow.

44. Exploring Garden Style by Tauton Press~non-fiction, gardening, design. This is edited articles and pictures from a gardening magazine, but I found the variety intriguing. Not good for how-to information, but good for gathering garden ideas.

43. Homeschooling Children with ADD (and Other Special Needs) by Lenore Hayles~non-fiction, education, medical issues. There was a lot of reasoning about why you should home educate kids with special needs, and a ton of listed book resources, but not a lot of other information. Focused mainly on ADD or autism.

42. Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafrisi~non-fiction, memoir, Iran, literature.

41. Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris~fiction, France, WWII, food.

40. Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller~memoir, stories, Christianity.

39. Just Take a Bite! by Lori Ernsberger~non-fiction, food issues, special needs.

38. Suspense and Sensibility by Carrie Bebris~Jane Austen, Mystery.

37. Pride and Prescience by Carrie Bebris~Jane Austen, Darcys, Mystery, supernatural.

36. Superfudge by Judy Blume~fiction, classic children's book.

35. The Explosive Child by Ross Greene~non-fiction, behavior, children

34. Cyteen 2: The Rebirth by CJ Cherryh~science fiction, cloning.

33. The Peace War by Vernor Vinge~science fiction, future, technology.

32. Whiskey Breakfast by Richard Lindberg~memoir, Swedish Immigration, Chicago.

31. Corvus: a Life with Birds by Esther Woolfson~non-fiction, birds.

30. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen~classic literature.

29. Cyteen: The Betrayal by CJ Cherryh~science fiction, future, space, cloning.

28. Divergent by Veronica Roth~youth fiction, dystopian.

27. The Help by Kathryn Stockett~fiction, '60s, race relations.

26. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs~youth, fiction.

25. Below Stairs: the Classic Kitchen Maid Memoir by Margaret Powell~non-fiction, memoir.

24. Ender in Exile by Orson Scott Card~fiction.

23. Uncle Tungsten: Memories of a Chemical Boyhood by Oliver Sacks~non-fiction, memoir.

22. The Garden Book of Wisconsin by Melinda Myers~non-fiction, gardening, flowers and landscaping.

21. Putting Down Roots: Gardening Insights from Wisconsin's Early Settlers by Marcia Carmichael~non-fiction, history, gardening.

20. Gudrun's Kitchen: Recipes from a Norwegian Family by Irene and Edward Sandvold~cookbook, biography.

19. Twelve Owls by Laura Erickson~non-fiction, birds.

18. A Thread of Grace by Mary Doria Russell~fiction, WWII

17. A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge~science fiction, space

16. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card~classic science fiction, read aloud.

15. Flour by Joanne Chung~cookbook, baking

14. Home to Woefield by Susan Juby~light fiction, humorous

13. Making the Most of Shade by Larry Hodgson~non-fiction/gardening

12. Growing Perennials in Cold Climates by Mike Heger~non-fiction/gardening

11. Case Histories by Kate Atkinson~mystery

10. Letters from Yellowstone by Diane Smith~historical fiction

9. The Circus in Winter by Cathy Day~fiction

8. The Alphabet in the Park by Adelia Prado~poetry

7. The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman~non-fiction/medical

6. One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus~speculative fiction

5. The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: The Hidden Gallery by Maryrose Woods~juvenile

4. The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Jester~(read aloud) juvenile

3. The Alienist by Caleb Carr~Mystery

2. The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton~Fiction

1. The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt~Fiction

Working on:

The Long Retreat (Krivak)

Blood Meridian (McCarthy)

The Essential Garden Design Workbook (Alexander)

Food Chaining (Fraker)

The Sacred Journey (Beuchner)

Book #26 - "The Prophet of Yonwood" by Jeanne Duprau. Yes, this is out of order, but there is a long hold list on #2, and I figured the prequel could be done out of order.
Did you like this? I really liked City of Ember, but People of Sparks was kind of disappointing so I didn't pursue any of the other books.
Well, I'd probably give "City of Ember" 4/5, and "Prophet of Yonwood" 3/5. I liked it, but kept wondering how the author was going to tie into "Ember" and yet resolve the story. Without giving anything away, I thought the solution was brief and late, and therefore somewhat anti-climactic.

Completed:

Book #28 -"Mockingjay" by Suzanne Collins. I'd heard this one was a "departure" from the other two, but neither DH and I thought so. DH described it as the third act in a third act play, and I'd agree. Compelling, like the other two. They pulled in dyslexic DH, who read each one in less than two days, which is quite an accomplishment! Only Harry Potter and Star Wars have done that for him before.

Book #27 - "Well-Educated Mind" by Susan Wise Bauer.

Book #26 - "The Prophet of Yonwood" by Jeanne Duprau.

Book #25 - "City of Ember" by Jeanne Duprau.

Book #24 - "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch.

Book #23 - "Who Moved My Cheese" by Spencer Johnson.

Book #22 - "Deconstructing Penguins" by Lawrence and Nancy Goldstone.

Book #21 - "Stargirl" by Jerry Spinelli.

Book #20 - "Catching Fire" by Suzanne Collins.

Book #19 -"Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins.

Book #18 - "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close" by Jonathan Safran Foer.

Book #17 - "Frozen Assets: Cook for a Day, Eat for a Month" by Deborah Taylor-Hough.

Book #16 - "Miserly Moms: Living Well on Less in a Tough Economy" by Jonni McCoy.

Book #15 - "The Highly Sensitive Person" by Elaine N. Aron, Ph.D.

Book #14 - "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking" by Susan Cain.

Book #13 - "Chasing Vermeer" by Blue Balliett.

Book #12 - "The Highly Sensitive Person" by Elaine N. Aron, Ph.D.

Book #11 - "Extraordinary, Ordinary People" by Condoleezza Rice.

Book #10 - "The Pig in the Pantry" by Rose Godfrey

Book #9 - "The Virgin in the Ice" by Ellis Peters

Book #8 - "The Leper of St. Giles" by Ellis Peters

Book #7 - "St. Peter's Fair" by Ellis Peters.

Book #6 - "Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother" by Amy Chua.

Book #5 - "Monk's Hood" by Ellis Peters.

Book #4 - "Flash and Bones" by Kathy Reichs.

Book #3 - "Spider Bones" by Kathy Reichs.

Book #2 - "One Corpse Too Many" by Ellis Peters.

Book #1 - "A Morbid Taste for Bones" by Ellis Peters

Gak, I really need to update my blog page.

I am reading Lies My Teacher Told Me and the new Robert Parker novel written by Ace Atkins.

I was kind of appalled when I found out someone was taking over the series and so far my fears have been realized. It is one thing to not get Spencer quite right, but to ruin Hawk is unforgivable. I am so sad but I have to finish it anyway.

This week...

Started Reading:

A Good American by Alex George

Still reading:

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

Completed:

21. Insurgent

20. Stand: A Call for the Endurance of the Saints

19. The Strength of His Hands

18. The Meaning of Marriage

17. Funny in Farsi

16. The Constantine Codex

15. What the Dog Saw

14. What is the Mission of the Church?: Making Sense of Social Justice, Shalom, and the Great Commission

13. Gods and Kings

12. A Skeleton in God's Closet

11. My Hands Came Away Red

10. The Omnivore's Dilemma

9. Dead Heat

8. Redeeming Love

7. Family Driven Faith: What it Takes to Raise Sons and Daughters Who Walk with God

6. Organized Simplicity

5. Year of Wonders

4. The Holiness of God

3. The Paris Wife

2. The Peach Keeper

1. Relic

This week I read Growing Up Amish by Ira Wagler(34). It was okay. A lot of it was about how he left the Amish and went back like 4 times. He was very torn, and really felt like he was going to hell at first when he left. I totally understand that.

I am reading Weird by Craig Groeschel this week, and I hate it...so I am having a hard time getting through it.

If you listen to a book on tape, does that count? I am trying to get Quiet ILL....how ironic, I am going to LISTEN to a book called QUIET :lol:!

I have also started another book: The Bookman by Lavie Tidhar:

From amazon.com:

"LATE EXTRA!

BOMB OUTRAGE IN LONDON!

A masked terrorist has brought London to its knees -- there are bombs inside books, and nobody knows which ones. On the day of the launch of the first expedition to Mars, by giant cannon, he outdoes himself with an audacious attack.

For young poet Orphan, trapped in the screaming audience, it seems his destiny is entwined with that of the shadowy terrorist, but how? His quest to uncover the truth takes him from the hidden catacombs of London on the brink of revolution, through pirate-infested seas, to the mysterious island that may hold the secret to the origin not only of the shadowy Bookman, but of Orphan himself...

Like a steam-powered take on V for Vendetta, rich with satire and slashed through with automatons, giant lizards, pirates, airships and wild adventure. The Bookman is the first of a series."

â–  Kill Shakespeare, Vol. 1 (Conor McCreery; YA fiction)

I got halfway through this before I really started to enjoy it -- Volume 2 was much more consistent, IMO.

Finished last week:

61. Kill Shakespeare Vol. 1

62. Kill Shakespeare Vol. 2

63. The New Kitchen Garden

This week I must finish up Finnish Lessons and Imagine: How Creativity Works because they are due back at the library with other patrons waiting.

Added a bunch of books from this month... I have been reading a lot of Goodreads recommendations based on fiction books I have liked...

1. Daddy Longlegs, Jean Webster - Kindle

2. Dear Enemy, Jean Webster - Kindle

3. Bookends of the Christian Life, Jerry Bridges

-A Secret Kept, Tatiana de Rosnay (didn't like, quit)

4. Gospel Wakefulness, Jared Wilson

5. A Praying Life, Paul Miller - Kindle

-Water for Elephants, Sara Gruen - library on Kindle (didn't like, quit - not doing well with fiction picks this year!)

6. The Book of the Ancient World

7. The Book of the Greeks, both by Dorothy Mills

8. The Greek Way, Edith Hamilton

9. Organized Simplicity - Kindle

10. In the Garden of Beasts, Erik Larson - library on Kindle

11. Think, John Piper

12. Lit, Tony Reinke

-Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, Jonathan Foe - quit!

13.That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week, Ana Homayoun

14. Homeschooling Gifted and Advanced Learners, Cindy West

15. I'm an English Major Now What, Tim Lemire

16. Suprised by Oxford, Carolyn Weber (love!!)

17. Discovery of Witches - library kindle on kindle

18. Left Neglected, Lisa Genova

19. I Capture the Castle, Dodie Smith

20. Whistlin' Dixie in a Nor'easter, Lisa Patton

21. Yankee Doodle Dixie, Lisa Patton

22. American Heiress, Daisy Goodwin

23. Before I go to Sleep, S.J. Watson

24. Still Alice, Lisa Genova

25-28. Secret Society Girls #1-4 series Diana Peterfreund

29-31. Hunger Games series

32. Bunheads, Sophie Flack

33. The Sugarless Plum, Zippora Karz

34. A Voice in the Wind, Francine Rivers

35. Church History, Eusebius

36. The Book of the Ancient Romans, Dorothy Mills

37. The Roman Way, Edith Hamilton

38. The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks, E. Lockhart

39. The Marriage Plot, Jeffrey Eugenides

40. Special Topics in Calamity Physics, Marisha Pessl

Added a bunch of books from this month... I have been reading a lot of Goodreads recommendations based on fiction books I have liked...

What did you think of Special Topics in Calamity Physics? Just curious because I read that one a few years ago....

What did you think of Special Topics in Calamity Physics? Just curious because I read that one a few years ago....

I'm reading that this week - on page 100. I think it is clever. I enjoyed the Frankie-Banks book a lot and Goodreads recommended this one also.

I hear the plot picks up around p. 300. I also heard it had tons of footnotes like David Foster Wallace, Infinite Jest, but I don't see actual footnotes or a bibliography in my edition. Just parentheses with citations - is that what the critics mean by footnotes? Confused a bit - but enjoying it!

Edited by LNC

I finished Why We Get Fat (my #28 for the year) by Gary Taubes last night. Overall, there's little to argue with. It jibes with what I already feel about refined foods. But I have some questions about it--like pseudo-estrogens in today's environment and how they are operating on weight, and I do question how long-lived the Inuit were prior to the introduction of Western foods.

I've got On Writing by Stephen King on the nightstand, ready to start when I get a chance.

Do you find that you like the books that Goodreads recommends for you?

If you listen to a book on tape, does that count? I am trying to get Quiet ILL....how ironic, I am going to LISTEN to a book called QUIET :lol:!

I count them. It takes me a lot longer to get through an audiobook than a regular book and I figure you are still consuming literature in pretty close to it's original format.

I must have missed it when you hit 52. Not even half way through the year and you're past the goal. Hooray!:party:

Thank you. There's a few read alouds in there bumping my numbers up but this thread has really motivated me to get back into reading consistently and reading good books. My personal goal for the year is 100 books.

I am going to read The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making next. Been wanting to read this YA book for awhile. Sounds like a great reprieve after Anna K.

Now that summer is here, I hope to get a lot more reading in; this year I have not read much. I enjoyed The Great Gatsby the two times I have read it and would love an excuse to read it again.

So happy to finally get to post in this thread again!

Congrats on finishing Anna Karenina. You simply must give an update on The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making because based on the title alone that sounds like a fun read.

Edited by aggieamy

Do you find that you like the books that Goodreads recommends for you?

I guess I'm not actually reading recommendations based on my shelves, but the ones that if I click on a book I like - to the right it lists other books read by people who liked this book. Make sense?

Hello Fellow Readers!

Life has been busy for me with not much time for reading. I did finish #24, Doctored Evidence, a Commissario Guido Brunetti mystery by Donna Leon.

Still working on The Rich Are Different. I was unable to pack this 700+ page novel from the library into my airplane carry-on and do look forward to finishing it in the days ahead.

To answer a question from Karin about Gladys Mitchell: I don't know which of her mysteries are best. My library has very few of them. :glare: Perhaps a fan website might help?

Last night Little Librarian couldn't sleep so she and I stayed up late finishing Tales of Robin Hood by Tony Allan. We both enjoyed the story and it had really nice pictures. Now we're trying to figure out our next read aloud. We're trying to decide between The School Story and The White Stallion of Lippizza. Any suggestions on which one?

I also finished The Secret Adversary (Tommy and Tuppence) by Agatha Christie. There were parts I found to be really silly and hard to believe but it still had a strong typical British mystery ending. You know, where you think you know who the bad guy is but then you think you're wrong but it turns out you were right all along. :001_smile: I like those type of stories.

To read or not to read The Great Gatsby with y'all? That is the question. I like the book and have read it a few times already. I've got a few books I need to read and get back to the library and if I finish with those I'll join in the Gatsby read along.

In progress:

The Year of Living Biblically by AJ Jacobs (recommended here)

Free-Range Kids by Lenore Skenazy

A Pocket Full of Rye by Agatha Christie (Why yes, I do have an Agatha Christie obsession! Thank you for noticing. :))

2012 finished books:

59. The Secret Adversary (Tommy and Tuppence) by Agatha Christie (****)

58. Tales of Robin Hood by Tony Allan - read aloud (****)

Books 1 - 40

Amy's Rating System:

**** - Very good

** - Not recommended

* - Horrible

Edited by aggieamy

I'm reading that this week - on page 100. I think it is clever. I enjoyed the Frankie-Banks book a lot and Goodreads recommended this one also.

I hear the plot picks up around p. 300. I also heard it had tons of footnotes like David Foster Wallace, Infinite Jest, but I don't see actual footnotes or a bibliography in my edition. Just parentheses with citations - is that what the critics mean by footnotes? Confused a bit - but enjoying it!

From what I remember of the book, yes, the parentheses w/ citations are the 'footnotes'. I thought the book was pretty good; it kind of reminded me a little bit of Donna Tartt's "The Secret History".

from aggieamy: "Do you find that you like the books that Goodreads recommends for you?"

I guess I'm not actually reading recommendations based on my shelves, but the ones that if I click on a book I like - to the right it lists other books read by people who liked this book. Make sense?

I agree. I've had good luck w/ finding recommendations through Goodreads.

:D Ohhhhhhh, fun! Of course, I tend to love extremely modern literature. (Does the term "Modernism" really apply only to those authors around the 1920s & 30s -- or does the term still apply to writers who are producing new novels even today?) Probably won't hop into The Great Gatsby right now (I read it a long time ago), but it could be fun esp. since Leonardo DiCaprio, Carey Mulligan, & Tobey McGuire are filming the movie these days.

3D-Adaptation-Movie-The-Great-Gatsby-01.jpg

Looks interesting, Look forward to seeing it.

There doesn't seem to be an agreement on line when the post modern period kicked in so I don't really know.

The Great Gatsby sounds like something I'd like to read again. I read it in high school but don't remember much except that the woman's name was Daisy. When does it need to be finished?

I LOVED all things F. Scott Fitzgerald in highschool, including The Great Gatsby. I will try to pick that one up at the library this week. I even dressed up as Zelda, his wife, and performed a monologue I wrote as her for my AP junior English class. My teacher was so moved she cried! and then asked me to perform it for the Senior AP English class later in the day. I haven't thought about that in years!

We aren't in any rush as I couldn't find the book yesterday. :001_huh: It may be double parked behind other books so now I need to find it first. Funny. When I could care less about reading it, the book was always in the my face somehow. And now.... Hmm! I may end up listening to the audio version. No time frame at this point.

Yeah!

I started- and finished- This Life is in Your Hands on Sunday. Highly, highly recommended. Utterly engrossing; simultaneously inspiring and heart-breaking.

I am already in mourning that this season of Masterpiece Mystery 'Sherlock' is over, so I think I'm going to read some Sherlock Holmes (Doyle) this week to help me manage my grief. :lol:

I also started Speaking Christian: Why Christian Words Have Lost Their Meaning and Power and How They Can Be Restored by Marcus Borg.

I finished Mansfield Park yesterday. It is my very favorite Austen book (yes, I know). I had wanted to read it specifically to consider education as that is quite a theme in the book. I'm so glad I was looking at that and wrote a little about it in my review.

2012 Books Reviews

1. Lit! by Tony Reinke

2. Loving the Little Years by Rachel Jankovic

3. Words to Eat By by Ina Lipkowitz

4. How to Tutor Your Own Child by Marina Koestler Ruben

5. Evening in the Palace of Reason by James R Gaines (spectacular)

6. The Cat of Bubastes by GA Henty (Audio from Librivox)

7. The Last Battle by C S Lewis (Audiobook)

8. A Praying Life by Paul E Miller

9. Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students by Christine Fonesca

10. Little Britches: Father and I Were Ranchers by Ralph Moody (fantastic read aloud)

11. The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare

12. The Abolition of Man by C.S. Lewis

13. How to Write a Sentence by Stanley Fish

14. The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion

15. The Rich Are Different by Susan Howatch

16. The Masqueraders by Georgette Heyer

17. Sylvester by Georgette Heyer

18. Understood Betsy by Dorothy Canfield Fisher (great read aloud)

19. Sins of the Fathers by Susan Howatch (wow!)

20. Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls (very good)

21. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (favorite)

Gorging on Devon Monk's urban fantasy Allie Beckstrom series and currently on Magic on the Hunt.

Ooh, I never heard of that one but it looks like something I would like! It's going on my list! :D

COMPLETE

1. Envy, by J.R. Ward (Fallen Angels series)

2. Kiss of the Highlander, by Karen Marie Moning (Highlander series)

3. The Ramayana, A Shortened Modern Prose Version of the Indian Epic, by R.K. Narayan (with my daughter for school reading)

4. Dark Highlander, by Karen Marie Moning (Highlander series)

5. The Immortal Highlander, by Karen Marie Moning (Highlander series)

6. Spell of the Highlander, by Karen Marie Moning (Highlander series)

7. 11/22/63, by Stephen King

8. The Traveler, by John Twelve Hawks (Fourth Realm Trilogy, Book 1)

9. Into the Dreaming, by Karen Marie Moning (Highlander series)

10. A Judgement In Stone, by Ruth Rendel

11. The Dark River, by John Twelve Hawks (Fourth Realm Trilogy, Book 2)

12. The Golden City, by John Twelve Hawks (Fourth Realm Trilogy, Book 3)

13. Forbidden Pleasure, by Lora Leigh

14. Relic, by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child

15. House Rules, by Jodi Picoult

16. Midwives, by Chris Bohjalian

17. Wind Through the Keyhole, by Stephen King (Dark Tower series)

18. The High Flyer, by Susan Howatch.

19. Daughter of the Blood, by Anne Bishop (The Black Jewels series, Book 1)

20. Heir to the Shadows, by Anne Bishop (The Black Jewels series, Book 2)

21. The Host, by Stephenie Meyer

CURRENT

22. Ahab's Wife, by Sena Jeter Naslund