Menu

Opinions on dog breeds

We have been discussing for several months the possibility of getting our ds a dog. He is 9 yo, and is a calm, even tempered child by nature. He has had a gerbil now for over a year, and shown he is a gentle caretaker, and has been very responsible in feeding, watering, exercising, and helping to clean his pet's cage. We think he may be ready for a bigger pet.

So, we have some ideas about what breeds we want. We live in a fairly spacious 2 bedroom apartment. We don't have an enclosed yard. However, there is pet area nearby our building, there are a large number of side walks, and a large open field area across the street to play/run around on.

We want:

-a friendly, medium-to-low energy dog

-intelligent

-not bigger than 45 or 50 lbs, if we can help it

We do not want:

-aggressiveness, or even "protectiveness"

-snippy or yappy little dog

-high energy, "working" dog

That's what we have on our list. Some possibilities we've considered are standard poodles, labs (but they can get BIG), boxers.

Also, what are some good mixed breeds?

Thanks for any and all tips/advice!

An adult golden retriever could very well meet your first two criteria. They can be big (ours is 78 lbs), which might not work in a small apartment, but some do run smaller. Maybe you could find a golden mix--golden + a smaller or more medium sized breed.

Anyway, our golden is very gentle (responds well to the personality type that you describe in your ds), calm and intelligent.

I would recommend an adult dog in any case--puppies are full of energy and very time-consuming to train properly. That can be extremely stressful.

I would suggest talking with local rescues that foster the dogs before homing them. They could do a great job matching you with the right dog for your family.

We have a black and tan coonhound mix that is super low key, loves all people, and is incredibly low maintenance, as well as a young lab mix female that is just a doll. She is higher energy and requires daily brushing in October and April though.

Other than a few specifics like terriers being terriers, and labs being garbage disposals that love water it really comes down to the individual dog and the work you put into it.

I would suggest a Pug.

They usually stay around 20lbs tops, are not yippy or nippy for being one of the "toy" breeds.

They are natural clowns, so they love to just have fun and be goofy, but don't need/can't tolerate a lot of exercise partly because of there faces, so they are also happy to just hang out with you.

My husband loves that our pug is a smaller dog, but durable, for lack of a better word. The pug is built solidly so we're not worried about him jumping or things like that. He even roughhouses with our new rescue who is a 50lb shar-pei mix and can hold his own. We also found our pug was pretty easy to train as his main goal in life is to be with us and make us happy.

I wouldn't suggest a Lab unless you are ready to put in a lot of training and exercise time. My dad has one that is now 10 years old, but until she was 4 she was horrible because he didn't want to put in the time to train her properly and he didn't get her enough exercise. Labs can be pretty destructive if they aren't given proper exercise. She would bolt any chance she got and was not easy to calm down.

ETA: I almost forgot that a pug is great if you have a dh or boys that want a "manly" smaller dog, instead of the poofy froo-froo dogs. Pugs just look tough, well unless they are overweight like mine, then they look like sausages with legs. LOL

Edited by nukeswife

How much walking time do you have to devote on "most" days?

Short walks throughout the day?

Short walks plus a mile?

Short walks plus a mile in morning and evening?

Short walks plus 5 miles?

I ask, because labs/goldens/boxers need significant exercise, some dogs within the breed need more than others. We don't walk our boxer EVERY day, but we have a fenced yard that she will go out and race around and around, at top speed....several times a day. And with that, I still sometimes take her out to walk a mile before bed, because she's got too much energy. Other boxer owners tell us she is mellow. She is still under a year.

ETA--The problem with counting on the open field to throw things and "Run" them for quick exercise, is that it only works when they are reliable. They won't run off, chase passing people or dogs, come when called, etc... So, while they are high energy puppies.... You will need to log miles, which is time.

Edited by snickelfritz

Is shedding an issue for you? We are getting a standard poodle puppy ( born this week) in a couple of months. They are athletic, non foo foo dogs, if you give them a normal short haircut. I am asking that the breeder find one for us that will be lower key and lower energy ( but, of course it will still need to run and exercise) . Ours will probably end up weighing around 40 lbs as an adult. Poodles also don't have a doggy odor. I think a well bred standard poodle is the best kept secret out there...they are wonderful family dogs!

Two breeds I would recommend are the basset hound and the cavalier king charles spaniel. They both meet all of your requirements. The basset will have less grooming needs if that's a factor, and the cavalier will have less exercise needs. The basset can weigh around 45-50 lbs. The cavalier is the largest of the toy breed and very sturdy, and weighs between 16-20 lbs. Good luck breed searching.:001_smile:

We have a little Boston Terrier. He's a doll and perfect for our kids. Not yippy or snappy at all- but standard size is only between 20-25 lbs. He's super friendly, almost overly so, everyone is his best friend. ;) He's small enough that the kids can walk him on their own, he's smart and learns quickly, low shedding and low maintenance and is just as happy running around playing fetch as he is having quiet time in his crate.

ETA: I almost forgot that a pug is great if you have a dh or boys that want a "manly" smaller dog, instead of the poofy froo-froo dogs.

This is funny, because it's one of the reasons my husband chose our Boston. Small, but "manly" looking lol! I guess Pugs and Bostons are similar in that respect. :)

We have a 2 year old standard that we got as a pup. He is 50 lbs, but they can get up to 70 or so. He is great with our dd. He is still young so needs a fair amount of exercise, but not nearly as much as some. He is a retrieving dog and loves to play fetch. We have a ball thrower that is great for exercising him. He doesn't run off although he might wander a little but not very far. He doesn't have as good of instincts about people as our husky did, but it is because he barks when someone is coming into his territory rather than making a distinction of who is OK and who isn't. He does need groomed every 4-6 weeks and we keep his hair short.

I'd look at a mix myself. Purebred dogs have a ton of health issues and even with a good breeder you are ultimately supporting the kennel club system and their recipes for dog breeds that have really damaged or destroyed many really nice kinds of dogs.

With the purebred breeds though the healthiest and most typically well-adjusted are the working breeds that are actually used for work. Because they have to perform they have tended to maintain their characteristics. (Not always though, German Shepherds for instance are often no longer physically suitable for police work.) Greyhounds can be really nice house dogs though, surprising as it seems.

The exception to that is dogs that have become highly popular, Like a Duck Toller. A nice working breed with a small population that has become a fad since it gained official breed status and so they have been cranking out puppies like crazy.

It's hard to say what to look for in a mix because there is so much variety. The terrier mixes tend to be healthy but some are really one person dogs. Anything with a pushed in face has a good chance of having issues related to that. Poodle mixes are popular as often they don't shed. Some of the spaniel mixes are nice though they can be rather energetic, and some have associated health issues or temperment issues. (My parents had a cavalier/cocker mix and it had all the problems of the cavalier - teeth issues, neurological issues, heart issues...)

As far as the dogs you mention, I don't know much about standard poodles. Boxers do have some typical health issues I believe and it also is not uncommon for them to be aggressive to small animals though they are very people-oriented. Labs again can have issues with hips and such, and they get fat and are often garbage eaters - you have to exercise them regularly. There is also a big difference between those bred from show stock, for competitive field trials, and those who are actually used for hunting. You would want to stay away from trial dogs which tend to be very very hyper.

We have a labradoodle and she's really good. She's big, though - about 70 lbs. She's about a year and a half, and is starting to get past the 'puppy' stage, I think. (Labs are puppy-ish in behavior for a couple of years, unlike some dogs who go through it in a year. :) ) She loves the kids and I think she'll be particularly excellent with them once she's fully past said puppy stage. :lol: Right now if they get excited or run, she wants to be excited and run, too. Which drives the boys a little bit nuts - DD climbs all over her, though, which she's very patient with.

It's also nice because in the summer when the kids play in the sprinkler, she's out there with them. She'll just sit in it. :lol: Our nephew was almost 2 last summer, and he was kind of shy of the sprinkler when just my kids were running through it, but for some reason when we let Kida (the dog) out, he decided it must be ok! She just sat there and got nice and soaking wet, and he decided he could be in the sprinkler since it was ok for the dog. :lol: Kids. :D

They are kind of high maintenance when it comes to grooming - they have to be brushed pretty often (depending on the type of hair they have - being a cross breed they don't have a breed standard when it comes to hair, some are more lab-ish and do shed, some are more poodle-ish and don't, and some are a mix) - Kida doesn't shed, she's 3/4 poodle and 1/4 lab. But particularly when the hair gets longer, she needs to be brushed regularly. The last time I got her trimmed, though, I got it really short and I like it a LOT. So I'll probably keep it pretty short from here on out. :) But we're big fans of the 'non-shedding' dogs - before we had Kida we had a yorkie. We gave her away, though, because the poor dog spent her days hiding under the end table or the couch - she wasn't mean to the kids, but she certainly wasn't their biggest fan, either. ;) DH loved our yorkie, strangely enough... I think we'll probably get another one once the kids are older (teenagers) and Kida is either really old or gone (sounds terrible, but I'm a one dog at a time type person! Luckily, so is DH :) )

(Here's a picture of her shaggy, at Christmas, and her new haircut, which we got a month or two ago. )

This is funny, because it's one of the reasons my husband chose our Boston. Small, but "manly" looking lol! I guess Pugs and Bostons are similar in that respect. :)

True, they are very similar. I would also suggest is Boston if I wasn't so biased toward the Pug.

Just thought I'd add our block is about 1/3 mile around and my daughter taught our Pug to jog along side of her when she rides her bike or scooter. Once around and he's DONE!

Grooming is pretty easy we brush him when he starts to drop his coat (which is about twice a year) and then just bath him when he seems smelly. That's it.

I would not have a beagle in an apartment, they are LOUD, even the ones who don't bark a lot have a zerious voice! Greyhounds are a great housedog and they come with basic training, crate trained and the ones I know are well socialized and pretty lazy. They do need outerwear if you live in a cold climate.

French bulldogs are also a ton of fun, but they have a smashed face and all the health issues that follow.

Repeating myself I know, but please consider a young adult from a rescue and foster program, it is a great way to know exactly what you are getting. There are many breed specific rescues and many that take all kinds. Our lab mix came to us as a 1-2 year old, fully grown and over the worst of the puppy problems, but still young enough to play and have a very long life with our family.

We have a 45-pound spaniel/retriever mix (from the pound). She is extremely intelligent and learns commands and "tricks" easily. She gets along with everyone, including cats, other dogs and people. She was pretty bouncy for about a year, but has settled down and is a perfect pet for our family of five. She's also really cute!

We have

Lab/Golden Retriever/Shep mix -shes 35-40lb

Lab/Husky Mix -hes 50lbs

Black Lab -Shes 50lbs

Beagle -hes 35-40lbs

Id go for a golden retriever. I love my labs, but I think a Golden would fit your requirements better.

That is a fun quiz! And, I must have picked well, because standard poodle was the first dog on the list!

Also wanted to say that I think Bostons are great dogs. They do shed, so they are out for us, but my cousin used to breed them, and they had great temperaments, especially with older children. Havanese are a toy breed, but are sturdy for toys. If I ever got a non poodle, and wanted a smaller dog, I'd be looking hard at a Havanese.

http://www.selectsmart.com/dog/

I would look at a beagle or a wheaten terrier.

I'm more of a large-breed person. However, in researching smaller dogs, I've found the Bichon Frise to fit the bill of what you might be looking for.

I'm not a fan of Bichon's. We have a standard poodle and she is a great dog, but she was not low energy when she was young. She isn't really low energy even now at 8 yo. Now our great dane, now that was a low energy dog! She didn't quite meet your size requirement though :lol:

Last June, I got a standard poodle and I LOVE him. Hugo was 5 months old (a rescue) and once he got used to us (took about a week), he settled in well and was very attentive. He is smart and seems to have no health problems. He is around 40 lbs, 24" at the shoulder but could stand to gain a few pounds (not uncommon with poodles), but would be overweight at 50 lbs.

If you want a larger dog that isn't too big, standards are great. But you can also get "small" standards, that are expected to be under 20" when full grown. They don't shed but even if cut short, you will need to brush the coat when it is cutting length again.

I have nothing against mixed breed dogs (except those done on purpose so I am not a fan of "doodles"), but any health problems each breed might have can be in the mix. It is not a way to avoid those health problems.

In the future, I would happily get any size poodle, but particularly a standard b/c I like bigger dogs. He is active outside and a couch potato inside. He is learning to run alongside my 13yo on her bike. They have the stamina for miles of running like that. My family feels that standard poodles are the perfect family dog. The only negative is that the cost getting Hugo's hair cut is more than getting mine done! :lol:

I would consider mixed breed over pure, especially if you are just looking for a family dog. As other posters have noted, there are some definite advantages to going that direction.

We have two mixed breeds right now that fit the description in the op, as far as size goes, but one is a lab mix and labs are a handful for the first couple of years. Our other dog is a beagle/basset mix, and had a much less colorful puppyhood! I have yet to meet someone with a beagle/basset mix that was unhappy with that combo, or a beagle/basset that was not extremely friendly, gentle, and easy going.

I thought Beagles were pretty high-energy dogs with the tendency to be destructive?

They can go go go go, like most hounds, but then come inside to be a couch potato. They do rate high on the excitability chart, though. I haven't heard about them being particularly destructive, but maybe they are. I agree with a pp about their voice. Even if you find one that doesn't bark much, when it does, it will be loud and carry. Not good for apartments.

We had a miniature schnauzer when I was young. Great dog! He was a perfect pal for my little brother.

I do think looking for an adult mix is a great idea.

Our beagle was certainly not high energy. They can be stubborn and they will eat anything not nailed down... not in a destructive way, but don't ever try to leave your sandwich on an end table, LOL. They don't need a lot of exercise but they can be loud in an apartment.

Retrievers and Labs are wonderful, loving dogs. They do get big... an "average" size is probably 60-75 pounds, and they do shed. A lot.

We now have a standard poodle. My allergies have gotten progressively worse over the years, so after our lab and beagle both passed within a year or so of one another, we went the poodle route. He is a fabulous dog! He likes to go out and run and stretch his (very long) legs a couple times a day. Other than that, he's a couch potato, LOL. He's curled up at the end of the couch right now, nose twitching to catch the breeze from the open window. He doesn't shed, but does need grooming and brushing. He is *wonderful* with our son, he follows all of us around the house to adore us. He's still under 2 years old, so it took him a lot shorter time to mature than our previous dogs. Oh, and he's fully grown and just over 50 pounds.

I'd highly recommend a standard poodle!

Is that no reputable breeder of any breed will breed them. So, where you have purposely bred mixed breed dogs, you almost always have parents who are back yard bred dogs, who are not usually good representatives of the breed. I would only get a mixed breed adult ( so you know what you're getting temperament wise, size wise, etc.) from a shelter or a rescue. I would not pay more than a small shelter fee for a mixed breed dog. But, there are tons of mixed breed dogs who are wonderful and deserve a chance at being someone's loved pet.

A pure bred dog from a knowledgeable and reputable breeder can be a wonderful choice, and so can a mixed breed (or pure breed) rescue. I've had a pound dog...a poodle mix, who was the sweetest dog ever.

I would suggest talking with local rescues that foster the dogs before homing them. They could do a great job matching you with the right dog for your family.

We have a black and tan coonhound mix that is super low key, loves all people, and is incredibly low maintenance, as well as a young lab mix female that is just a doll. She is higher energy and requires daily brushing in October and April though.

Other than a few specifics like terriers being terriers, and labs being garbage disposals that love water it really comes down to the individual dog and the work you put into it.

:iagree: I have to say my first thought before you listed your criteria was the breed we have now. Our pup is cute as can be, mellow, intelligent, fun, loves kids, etc All in all such a perfect dog that I think I have found my new favorite "breed". And though both types of dogs that made this cross are big breeds, I got the runt of the litter and she is pretty small and will be more inbetween med-large than large-giant like the rest of her litter. Finding the right dog that fits with your family is more important than any specific breed imo.

I love this mix so much that when I learned about another litter of the same mix being born in another near by town I put in for one of the pups. Prior to getting this one I had never heard of this mix, and from the sounds of the board most on here had not either. So when I saw the chance to have a pal here of the same type I jumped at it. Again I have put in the request for the most mellow of the litter.

My home is already high energy so a mellow dog is/was the best fit because it helps even out the energies (kids bring her energy up for play time, and brings their's down during quiet times).

Ours is a Great Pyranese/Yellow Lab cross. The new one is a Great Pyranese/black lab cross

We love our labradoodles. They are personable, medium energy, our smaller one is probably about 35# and our larger is possibly about 50#. They love to play but are very content to lay next to you and just let you rub there head,ears,tummy. They shed very little but do need to be clipped 2-3 times a yr. We have always had dogs but these two are by far our favorites.

Is shedding an issue for you? We are getting a standard poodle puppy ( born this week) in a couple of months. They are athletic, non foo foo dogs, if you give them a normal short haircut. I am asking that the breeder find one for us that will be lower key and lower energy ( but, of course it will still need to run and exercise) . Ours will probably end up weighing around 40 lbs as an adult. Poodles also don't have a doggy odor. I think a well bred standard poodle is the best kept secret out there...they are wonderful family dogs!

:iagree:

I also like Airdales.

And I am all for doing lots of researching and buying them from good breeders.

A Golden is a high energy, high maintence dog. They needs lots of walking and playing every day. The shed tumble weeds and there is no way to tell how big they will get. Mine is almost 100 lbs. He is almost 5 and is already having hi probelms even though his parents were certified. Plus they wil eat anything that isn't nailed down.

love my mini poodle!!!

She is on the smaller side of the mini. I think you could find one closer to 15 lbs. I know you want bigger, but a small dog is so easy to transport to the park or to grandmas or to the mountains. We take her everywhere; she has a harness that goes through the seatbelt. She is a member of our family. She curls up nicely in your lap as you read The Story of the World. She is now listening to The Magician's Nephew with me and my 10 year old dd who just got back from walking her. I groom her myself, I just bought some clippers and keep her hair short. Never sheds. Never smells (unless she has found something) she is compassionate and kind. I had 8 girls come over every week for classes and they all loved her and even begged for her. My son enjoys running with her and playing ball. My dad loves walking her and even talking to her. Can you tell I love her!?

I hope you find a furry member for your family.

How much walking time do you have to devote on "most" days?

Short walks throughout the day?

Short walks plus a mile?

Short walks plus a mile in morning and evening?

Short walks plus 5 miles?

We have at least a few hours. I work, but my dh is a SAHD. We only have ds, so we don't have other children requiring our time. We have explained to ds that any dog he gets will involve a minimum commitment of 60 minutes a day (weather permitting) to walking the dog to give him/her enough exercise.

Even if we had a yard, we would still do this, because most of the dog books we have read said that "yard time" does not really count as work for dogs. We have relatives that have a shepherd, and have a large yard, which the dog has run of. However, they do not walk him daily. They might take him to the park once a week. The dog is overly excited, and is turning very aggressive, partly because he is not walked enough. (It's not entirely their fault, as the dog has bad hips, but is too young for hip replacement surgery.) The dog has now bitten three people, including a child. We take that as a cautionary tale that any dog we get needs to be regularly exercised.

ETA--The problem with counting on the open field to throw things and "Run" them for quick exercise, is that it only works when they are reliable. They won't run off, chase passing people or dogs, come when called, etc... So, while they are high energy puppies.... You will need to log miles, which is time.

Yeah, that's a concern of ours, too. We are hoping that working with a good trainer, in combination with an intelligent dog, will mean the dog can be taught to come when called. Our downstairs neighbor has a golden retriever, and she takes her dog all the time to the field and throws balls, frisbies, etc., and her dog is well-trained enough not to run away or stray. That's something we are aiming for.

We are really seriously considering this breed, for all the reasons you mentioned. It's too bad many people consider it a "foo-foo" breed because of the stereotypical poodle cut, but they were originally a German hunting breed, and they are amazing athletes, and extremely intelligent. They are a higher energy dog, though, as you mentioned, so we know if we commit to this breed, it's probably a minimum 2 walks x 30 minutes a day.

We have a little Boston Terrier. He's a doll and perfect for our kids. Not yippy or snappy at all- but standard size is only between 20-25 lbs. He's super friendly, almost overly so, everyone is his best friend. ;) He's small enough that the kids can walk him on their own, he's smart and learns quickly, low shedding and low maintenance and is just as happy running around playing fetch as he is having quiet time in his crate.

Hadn't considered this breed. Thanks for the recommendation, I will research this dog. Although, I'm thinking if we get any terrier, we'll have to keep the gerbil cage somewhere very high. ;)

We have a labradoodle and she's really good. She's big, though - about 70 lbs. She's about a year and a half, and is starting to get past the 'puppy' stage, I think. (Labs are puppy-ish in behavior for a couple of years, unlike some dogs who go through it in a year. :) ) She loves the kids and I think she'll be particularly excellent with them once she's fully past said puppy stage. :lol: Right now if they get excited or run, she wants to be excited and run, too. Which drives the boys a little bit nuts - DD climbs all over her, though, which she's very patient with.

It's also nice because in the summer when the kids play in the sprinkler, she's out there with them. She'll just sit in it. :lol: Our nephew was almost 2 last summer, and he was kind of shy of the sprinkler when just my kids were running through it, but for some reason when we let Kida (the dog) out, he decided it must be ok! She just sat there and got nice and soaking wet, and he decided he could be in the sprinkler since it was ok for the dog. :lol: Kids. :D

They are kind of high maintenance when it comes to grooming - they have to be brushed pretty often (depending on the type of hair they have - being a cross breed they don't have a breed standard when it comes to hair, some are more lab-ish and do shed, some are more poodle-ish and don't, and some are a mix) - Kida doesn't shed, she's 3/4 poodle and 1/4 lab. But particularly when the hair gets longer, she needs to be brushed regularly. The last time I got her trimmed, though, I got it really short and I like it a LOT. So I'll probably keep it pretty short from here on out. :) But we're big fans of the 'non-shedding' dogs - before we had Kida we had a yorkie. We gave her away, though, because the poor dog spent her days hiding under the end table or the couch - she wasn't mean to the kids, but she certainly wasn't their biggest fan, either. ;) DH loved our yorkie, strangely enough... I think we'll probably get another one once the kids are older (teenagers) and Kida is either really old or gone (sounds terrible, but I'm a one dog at a time type person! Luckily, so is DH :) )

(Here's a picture of her shaggy, at Christmas, and her new haircut, which we got a month or two ago. )

What a cute dog! Thanks for sharing the pics. Your dog's temperament sounds very good for children, something we want for Jackson.

Repeating myself I know, but please consider a young adult from a rescue and foster program, it is a great way to know exactly what you are getting. There are many breed specific rescues and many that take all kinds. Our lab mix came to us as a 1-2 year old, fully grown and over the worst of the puppy problems, but still young enough to play and have a very long life with our family.

This is something we are also strongly considering. Mostly because there are many good dogs that need homes, and it would be nice to skip the puppy stage.

I disagree with a lot of the breeds suggested in this thread, not because they're not great breeds but because they're a bit more high energy, noisy or more difficult to train then you may be looking for.

I have one suggestion: Havanese.

Small, almost no barking, low to medium energy, gentle.

They only negative might be the long hair. They do need regular brushing or grooming.

I have to tell you guys thank you so much. I am really enjoying reading your posts and recommendations, even if I haven't responded. I'm a horse person, so I could tell you all sorts of things about horse breeds and what I like and dislike, but dogs...I'm definitely in new territory!

We are really seriously considering this breed, for all the reasons you mentioned. It's too bad many people consider it a "foo-foo" breed because of the stereotypical poodle cut, but they were originally a German hunting breed, and they are amazing athletes, and extremely intelligent. They are a higher energy dog, though, as you mentioned, so we know if we commit to this breed, it's probably a minimum 2 walks x 30 minutes a day.

My DH was, at first, opposed to getting a poodle for that reason... he wanted "a dog, not a puffball" as he put it.

We don't do the poodle cut... we just trim him short, then let it get shaggy all over. It's adorable. And yes, he's extremely intelligent, very loving, and a great companion. We have a good sized yard, so we don't walk him AS often, but he still needs it several times per week.

And DH now adores our puffball. :D

Two breeds I would recommend are the basset hound and the cavalier king charles spaniel.
My neighbor has a cavalier. She is friendly, quiet, docile (not jumpy), and just loves to be with our kids. By the way she interacts with us, I would recommend this breed.

It's true that some Standard Poodles are higher energy, and can require a couple of walks a day, or more, But, I think my breeder's line is not as high energy as some. She told me that she doesn't exercise her dogs that vigorously. They play in the back yard together, and retrieve, etc, and seem to thrive on that. If you find a good breeder, they will be able to help you find a good fit for your family's lifestyle. I am asking for an affectionate, couch potato who is tolerant of young children!!

If you are interested in looking into Standards further, I'd encourage you check out Poodle Forum. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on that board who can point you in the direction of a good, reputable breeder in your area, and answer any questions you might have.

This is something we are also strongly considering. Mostly because there are many good dogs that need homes, and it would be nice to skip the puppy stage.

We got our standard from a rescue. We actually found a dog on petfinder.com at that rescue (a portugese water dog) and when we called it was already adopted. They told us they had just had a standard poodle come in. She was <2 years old and not fully house broken and could jump a 6 foot fence. We went and met her and she jumped on and scratched the kids. She was a mess, but she was a mess of love too.

I'm confident as a trainer and we adopted her. House breaking did take a little time to get consistent when we weren't home, but she hasn't had an accident in many years. She quit jumping in just days. She loves to walk and run with me and has no problem going as far as I want, but is curled up on the couch beside me now as she is most of the time during school. I keep her hair cut very short except for a little fluff on her head and tail tip and also do it myself.

As long as you are prepared to give it plenty of exercise and cure any training issues, a rescue poodle is a great choice. If you don't feel up to curing problems, get a puppy from a good breeder, they are actually easier to train than many rescues.