Menu

S/O Books that got your girls into reading...

Gentlemommy

This is a spin off from the book suggestions for boys thread. What books were the turning point for your girls? Which book made her LOVE reading? My dd is a struggling reader, but through VT, she is progressing very nicely. She is finally picking up in the reading department, and now wants to read everything!! She voluntarily reads throughout the day, although her eye stamina is still not very long. So what was THE book for your 7-8 year old girl?:D

Definitely series books. She didn't like emotional books and I think the predictability of the series was safe.

A nephew read one Junie B. Jones book to her. She read the next as her first chapter book. Then nothing on her own, for months. Then, she found:

Fairy books by Daisy Meadows. She introduced them to her best friend and they spent the summer trading back and forth and devouring them.

Then:

Flat Stanley

Geronimo Stilton

Ellie McDoodle

American Girl books

Ahhh, the terrible truth: comic books!!! LOL Calvin & Hobbes comics were her first books. She read a lot of Magic Treehouse after that. VP has nice lists. COFAs are good (childhood of famous americans series). You can't tell we're into history, can you? She is. She's so funny, hehe. A while back she told me that OF COURSE she liked history, because it was all she had to read then! I used the booklists in TQ and found her things that really clicked. You just never know with this age. If she finds something that strikes her fancy (Swiss Family Robinson, Boxcar), she might stretch for a harder book.

Have you thought about getting her an ereader? She shouldn't still be getting tired with reading, not if she's done with VT, meaning I'd look into what's up there. She might need glasses. An ereader would let her bump the font size.

I don't know that it was one particular book. The Rainbow Magic Fairies helped, as did Magic Tree House (she found one about unicorns and HAD to have it, she even read it in the car on the way home). Part of it was giving her books about her favorite subject and part was letting her read some of her old readers like Green Eggs and Ham and picture books I read when she was small. She realized she could do it and it was easier than she thought. She remembered struggling through some of the books when she was younger.

My Dd was reading Junie B and the rainbow fairies but her reading really took off when she read Charlie and the chocolate factory. She had to move past those repetitive stories before she really felt the joy of reading and got hooked.

another daughter who loved the rainbow fairies series... She now loves reading Geronimo Stilton and the Weird School series. Those are things though that she has to read on her own time, for school she actually chose to read her 3rd Little House book which surprised me b/c she'd complained a lot during the previous one! She really liked it though and often read extra. She's really loving the Chronicles of Narnia, which we listen to while we're driving places.

She's borrowing Harry Potter from a friend starting today so we'll see how she does with it!

With one of my twins, it was Magic Tree House, then she went on to read anything and everything.

The other twin was a slower start, but what finally did it was the Unicorn's Secret series by Duey and Ghost Town Treasure by Clyde Robert Bulla. She's also a big bookworm.

Other early reader series they both enjoyed were Cam Jansen, A to Z Mysteries, and Secrets of Droon.

The third one? I'm still waiting. The first book she read and loved without my nagging her to was The Doll People, and then its two sequels. She reads quite well, fluently and with comprehension, but generally I still have to assign almost everything she reads, or she won't. She's 11. :glare:

I'm not sure it was a particular book... we sold all of the TVs. Evidently without the presence of the tube to pass your time, you will pick up a book. :tongue_smilie:

Since August, DD9 has read:

A to Z Mysteries (and all of the other topics like Calendar Mysteries and Capital Mysteries and there might be another one)

Weird School Days and the spin off-maybe Weird Days or Weird Teachers?

Ricky Ricotta series

the Fairies (Rainbow, Jewel, Weather, Sports, etc.)

Rebecca of Sunnybrook farm (abridged)

Now she's reading a series called Who Was...? There are at least 41 different biographies of important people, as listed inside the back cover, from Magellan, to Einstein, to Jim Henson. She is learning a ton of random information about people from all time periods. I'm really excited to get to these different time periods in history so she can get the full context of why these certain individuals were influential.

Ahhh, the terrible truth: comic books!!! LOL Calvin & Hobbes comics were her first books. She read a lot of Magic Treehouse after that. VP has nice lists. COFAs are good (childhood of famous americans series). You can't tell we're into history, can you? She is. She's so funny, hehe. A while back she told me that OF COURSE she liked history, because it was all she had to read then! I used the booklists in TQ and found her things that really clicked. You just never know with this age. If she finds something that strikes her fancy (Swiss Family Robinson, Boxcar), she might stretch for a harder book.

Have you thought about getting her an ereader? She shouldn't still be getting tired with reading, not if she's done with VT, meaning I'd look into what's up there. She might need glasses. An ereader would let her bump the font size.

I wasn't clear-she is still currently doing VT, we are about 7 weeks in, out of an estimated 24 weeks!!! So we haven't even hit that 'magic' halfway point. :001_smile:I have promised her an ereader for Christmas this year if she is faithful in reading daily. So far, so good!! She does wear glasses for close up work as well.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!!! I have some of the rainbow fairy books, some Geronimo Stilton as well. I'm excited to see her getting into reading 'real' books. :D

DD loves series. I think she found the Rainbow Magic series (all of them) early on. She had to read them ALL before she would stop checking them out at the library!

She also read:

all the Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew

Cam Jansen

ALL the Geronimo Stilton (and Thea Stilton and Creepella books)

loved the Ramona books

Real Kids, Real Places series

Capital Mysteries

Pokemon, Pokemon, Pokemon

Garfield - many many

She will read just about anything you give her -but does not really prefer nonfiction much unlike her brother.

My 8 yr old was motivated by the rainbow magic fairies. I refused to read them so she had to. They might be complete drivel, but they were just the thing for her. And there are like 100's of them!

This was DD's turning point as well. I made her a spreadsheet with all of the series listed, since she wanted to read them all, and she had to get them from the library, since I wasn't paying for that addiction!

She also really liked the Ivy and Bean books, and she reread those a bunch of times.

Thea Stilton series

Sophie and the shadow woods series (she blew through these so fast and was sad to have finished them - has re-read many times!)

She also gets a big kick out of finishing a book - the sense of accomplishment! So we have a reading chart she can stamp when she finishes a book.

My daughter loved (and still does enjoy) reading the Little House books by Laura Ingalls. This series has lead her to the books about Laura's mother, grandmother, etc. She really got into the books when we borrowed the audio CDs from the library (5yos at the time). That is what got the series rolling for her.

Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farms, Sarah Plain and Tall, and Grandma's Attic are others that I can think of.